Chapter Ten

The Walk Back Home

Author’s Note: This story is set in an alternate universe, in an imaginary town and country, and during an ambiguous time period.

 

Yunho was spending the night with his dad. It would be his first time. 

 

Since that Saturday three weeks ago, he had been having one-on-one time with him after every week. What was special about this Friday was that he would also be spending the night over at his house and going home the next day. In the morning, a choice Yunho made the moment he agreed to spending the night over. A daring move, if he must admit..

 

Yunho had been getting used to those Friday night arrangements. 

 

His dad was still the awkward, quiet guy who was more scattered brained than his soft, serious demeanor led one to believe. 

 

His dad was a horrible cook. Every time they ate together, if they did not eat out, the food would be half cooked, burned, tasteless or too spicy and/or too salty. There was never an in between—which would mean good, eatable food. Yunho found the whole thing hilarious. At least back home with his grandparents, the food was always amazing. 

 

Tonight, they were making chili. 

 

His momma had sent him over with a freshly baked loaf of bread and a pecan pie. At least he knew he would be able to count on the bread and dessert.

 

“Long week?” Yunho casually said, swallow his sip of tea. 

 

His father was a lover of tea and his first night over, the man had been fumbling over as he tried to get him something to drink. He had none of the drinks he offered. He had actually forgotten to pick them up from the store, but what he had was tea. Since then, whenever he was over, Yunho always ended up drinking tea or water. It was fine, actually, very calming and nice with honey. 

 

“Work was a little stressful this week, but it’ll be alright.” The older man gave Yunho a soft smile. His dad looked at him, his eyes warm and pleased. He appeared startled at the fact that Yunho had talked to him, and most importantly, had asked a question about his day. 

 

His father worked as an oil field operator. He worked in the next town over. He seemed to be a hard worker, from what Yunho could tell.

 

Yunho returned it and slid his half empty mug on the side of the sink. 

 

“That’s good.” Yunho hated the silence between them, so whenever it was just the two of them, he tried to fill it with random chit-chat. Like right now; he was trying to focus on dicing the onions and not his fingers.

 

“Thank you for asking,” he said with a smile. 

 

Yunho nodded awkwardly and quickly broke their eye contact. 

 

The older man went back to the jalapeno pepper he was focusing on dicing. He was equally as bad with a knife as Yunho was. Which was weird, considering the man lived by himself and had to cook for himself—even if his skills were severely lacking. He did not look like he ate out much. He was as thin as a beanpole and drank tea, for Pete’s sake! 

 

“What about you? How was your week?” He said, grabbing the freshly diced jalapeno pepper and dumping it in the platter where they were assembling all of the ingredients before they started to make the chili.


 

“Week was okay, too,” Yunho said. “I am done.” 

 

His dad nodded and grabbed his onions and arranged them on the plater.

 

“That’s good. I am glad that you are making friends here and finally getting used to Green Meadow.”

 

“Yeah.”

 

“I heard you’re back to being friends with that boy, Jaejoong .”

 

His heart fluttered and his abrupt swallow of saliva and air was awkward and left him coughing. Clearing his throat, he reached for his mug and took a delicate sip. “Yeah, we talked out our differences.”

 

“That’s good.”

 

His dad was silent for a musing moment. He looked like he wanted to say something to Yunho, but changed his mind and he started the chili.

 

Relieved of his duties, Yunho took a seat around the table. He took out his phone to play on it. A text from Jaejoong popped up just then.

 

His dad’s voice was in it’s customary softness when he dropped a bomb. The bomb was not as gentle as his tone. “Your grandmother, my mother, passed away a few years ago.”

 

He lifted his eyes off his phone’s screen and blinked for a few seconds before he said, “My condolences?”

 

“It was years ago, before you were even born,” he said solemnly, smiling back at Yunho as he caramelized the veggies. 

 

Yunho was still trying to understand what his dad was trying to say or get. He watched the man add more ingredients to the pot. “My chillis tend to be good.” He laughed knowingly.

 

Yunho said nothing. 

 

His dad didn’t appear too bothered, because he kept on talking. “I don’t know if you remember much of my family, but for thanksgiving—”

 

“Ooh. I was—”

 

“No. I wasn’t going to ask you to come spend it with us. I know you must want to spend it with your grandparents.” 

 

Yunho’s cheeks were a deep shade of blood from his embarrassment. “I do not mind greeting them over dinner or something sometime...soon, or something,” he speedily added. 

 

He didn’t want to. It was scary.

 

He knew his mom would want him to do it. He didn’t understand why when he used to live in this town when he was younger his mother did not allow him to meet his paternal side of the family, but now felt a need to tell him to apply himself and get to know his dad and the rest of his family if the opportunity presented itself.

 

He knew she was probably feeling guilty, but he was just uncomfortable and wanted to go and do things his own way. He would try, as he promised her, but it might take him a long time and he would probably only take small steps from now on until he feels comfortable enough for more.

 

“If you don’t mind me asking, sir.” He noticed his dad flinching a little bit. He truly was trying to call him dad or something, but it was hard. It was difficult and he always got tongue tied when he tried to say it.

 

“Go ahead.”

 

Clearing his throat he continued. “How did you and mom….Why didn’t I—I mean, your family, I don’t really—”

 

“Your mother had her reasons for keeping you away.”

 

Yunho’s reaction was a sharp intake of breath and rising eyebrows.

 

“I felt it was right to share the news with my parents. Your grandparents, my parents, did not think we should have gone through with the pregnancy.”

 

He felt like he had just been slapped. 

 

Now, if his mother had told him she thought about not going through the pregnancy, given her age and the situation she was in when she got pregnant, he would have understood and even sympathized. However, his paternal grandparents were completely wrong for even bringing up such a suggestion to his mother. His stubborn mother who probably had him to spite them. 

 

His dad turned away from the stove, his eyes were kind, considerate, and gentle. “I want to be completely honest with you.”

 

Yunho nodded, feeling like a scared, frozen deer in head-lights. 

 

“I wanted you. I cut ties with my family for a few months then. When you were born, they wanted to get involved, but your mother thought they already lost their chance.”

 

“Ooh.” That sounded exactly like his mom. Rash, pitiless, irrational. 

 

His dad saw the look that stole across his face. “Don’t blame her. I don’t. They made her go through it. She thought that was the best way to protect you from them. But, then you know, a few months after you were born, my mom passed away and...your mom and I,” he shrugged and did not finish.

 

Yunho felt uncomfortable. Still, he had to ask. “How did you and mom get together?”

 

He felt bad the moment the question was out.

 

His dad laughed. “She worked at the 90’s dinner on the other side of town when she was in highschool, we met there.”

 

“Cool.” Not what he meant. They were so different.

 

“Yes, we are very different,” he shrugged, with a fond smile adorning his lips, “but I thought that was what would make us work.” He shrugged and turned around, giving Yunho his slim back. “She had so many dreams and had a way of talking about her goals. She had a way of getting me all riled up. I thought that passion would—” He stopped, as if realizing how much he was sharing. 

 

“It just did not work out for us. But that doesn't affect how your mother and I feel about you and how I felt and feel about you.”

 

Yunho’s heart was beating so fast and he swore he was sweating buckets. 

 

This was the most embarrassed he had ever been in his short life.

 

“I am...sorry,” was all Yunho could choke out.

 

“Don’t. Even though we did not work out, we had you and I found a home in Green Meadow.”

 

“Lol, right? Why did you move to this town?”

 

“I fell in love with it and I thought since your mom and I would be getting married that this town was a nice place to raise a family.”

 

He snorted before he said, “What? You two were engaged?”

 

His father laughed and nodded. “For a week.”

 

“A week?”

 

He laughed again. “Yes.”

 

Adding in the remaining ingredients, his father brought the pot to a boil. 

 

Yunho was starting to think tonight’s dinner might actually turn out alright, delicious even.

 

—-------

 

“I’m very happy that you’re working things out with Jaejoong,” his grandmother said, rewarding him with a pleased smile. 

 

Her statement startled him. He gave her a look of puzzlement. “What?”

 

She tutted, but her smile was still present. “I know what I saw.” She patted his arm. “I’m happy.”

 

“Okay,” he muttered softly, refusing to divulge anything to his grandmother.  He casted his eyes to the ground.

 

His grandmother was talking about the lack of animosity between him and Jaejoong.

 

He would not say they were now friends or anything, but they had been talking on the phone, through texts, and in person. And they were talking a lot. 

 

Jaejoong was a horrible texter. And Yunho should have known that. Just because it was texting and not talking face-to-face did not mean he would be different. Jaejoong would send millions of texts, and Yunho would get overwhelmed and just reply to a few. He wasn’t letting Yunho breathe. He wanted them to be in constant contact.

 

Yunho didn’t hate it, per se, and he hated that he didn’t. However, he was still finding his ground with this new development in their relationship. Yunho wanted to take it slow and steady, and Jaejoong was rushing in, acting as if those past years didn’t happen and they didn’t live through them being more enemies than friends. 

 

Yunho had thought it would be weird and awkward. But when they started talking, it was like nothing horrible ever happened between them. Jaejoong was so open and welcoming, he was so funny and warm. 

 

Yunho felt comfortable with his makeshift group of friends. They were as aggressive as Jaejoong was, but while they were still figuring him out, Jaejoong just knew all the buttons to push and how to push them, what to ask and how to ask, and what to say. It was nice to just chat without thinking about his next words. That’s what it felt like being with Jaejoong.

 

While he loved that element, Yunho was still perturbed. He didn’t like how easy he was making it for Jaejoong, how ‘okay’ he felt with forgiving him. He didn’t believe he had forgiven him, he was working on it, but he felt like he could. And he hated that.

 

Yunho knew he needed to be careful, because he didn’t want to get swept up by Jaejoong again. Jaejoong was great at being a friend, until he wasn’t. And Yunho didn’t know if he had changed or was still the same mean little boy.

 

Yunho wanted this time to be different. He wanted to be in control. He didn’t want to give Jaejoong anything that he was not ready for. It just was very hard to do so, when Jaejoong was like a black-hole and what he wanted was for them to go back to how they used to be. He didn’t want to wait.

 

Yunho needed time. He planned to forgive. Well, he wanted to try to forgive and move on. However, he wanted to move much slower and more carefully than Jaejoong wanted to. He just wanted to act like nothing ever happened between them, those few years apart did not happen, and pick up where they left off. And that was impossible for Yunho, though he hadn't told Jaejoong that yet.

 

Jaejoong had high hopes. It was apparent he wanted more and hoped they would be able to go back to before his accusations, but Yunho decided for now he would humor him. Yunho could not see them ever becoming the great friends they used to be. There was no helping that, but Yunho did see them reaching a point where they’re at peace with each other. Where were they’re friends. Nothing special, just friends. All in due time, however. Baby steps.

 

Yunho had already ended his conversation with his grandmother in his mind. He was lost in his thoughts and about to go back to work when his grandmother said, drawing his attention back to her. “This reminds me,” she said, sounding as if she just remembered a huge, important piece of information.” Our annual bonfire is this week. You should invite all of your friends, dear.” She winked at him. He knew what friend she was talking about. 

 

“I don’t really have any, but, yeah, sure—” He paused, realizing what she had just said. His eyes gleamed with nostalgia. “Wait, you still have the annual bonfire?” 

 

She smiled at him, nodded gleefully, and petted his right cheek. “Yes, sweet pumpkin, we still do.” She gave his cheek a final pat. “We have all of our annual traditions.”

 

“What about the binoculars?” He asked.

 

She nodded. “Yes, that old thing is still around. It’s happy to come out for you.” 

 

“Wow,” he said slowly, taking it all in. His heart squeezed painfully. But it didn’t feel bad. He was actually happy. Very happy.

 

Being back here in Green Meadow, he had expected many things to have changed. And he had been correct, many things were different. But the most important things, the ones he loved and missed the most, haven't really changed. His grandparents and their traditions and customs hadn’t changed. And he was so happy about that.

 

Bonfire night was fun. In fact, it was amazing. His grandparents and friends would congregate in the backyard, under the gazebo. His grandpoppa would start the bonfire. There would be a spread of fruits, cheese, and pies. The kids would have fun roasting corn-on-the-cobs and other root vegetables, s'mores, and hot chocolate, while the adults would have alcoholic drinks.

 

They would spend the evening assembling his grandmother’s DIY halloween decorations, and the ladies in his grandmother’s quilt group would work on putting the finishing touch on the quilt they made every year for the autumn parade, which was always a few days away. The quilt was bidded on. The money made would be donated to a cause decided by the ladies.

 

Bonfire night was a lot of fun, if memory serves Yunho correctly. Which he was certain he did. Autumn was his favorite season for a reason. His grandparents always had something planned, and it was always a lot of fun.

 

Before the night ended, his poppa would always bring out his old binoculars and set it up. The kids, which usually were just Yunho and Jaejoong and a few other neighborhood kids, would pile around it and take turns looking at the night sky. 

 

Yunho remembered those stars and those night skies. The city’s sky could never compare. The sky was always like a black blanket with millions of tiny, lustrous diamonds thrown on top of it. It was breathtakingly beautiful, as if all the stars visible to Earth were in the night, and it was always a bit too much to take in.

 

----

 

Soel bit down on her bright orange cheese puff. The crunch was loud. She chewed and swallowed, her eyes focused on Yunho who was trying his best to appear busy, just in case his teacher, Mr. Munchin, decided to look up from his desk and look at him.

 

“So,” she said, silently the orange dust off her fingers. “We’re going apple picking tomorrow. You in?”

 

He looked up and gave her a confused look.

 

“Check the group chat, we talked about it. It is this Saturday.” She angled her head and then she added, “You’re in the groupchat, right?”

 

He shrugged. He was in it. He didn’t participate. He enjoyed the funny memes.

 

“Right, you’re shy. Stop being shy!” She said, reaching for another cheese puff. “We’re weird. Join us,” she said in a weird voice. She laughed by herself. “Coming to the game with us was fun, remember?” She winked. He just smiled at her. “Anyways, it’s tradition. We do it every year.”

 

“Is it okay for you to be eating in science class? Chemistry?” He gave their teacher another look. His phone buzzed with a text message. He didn’t have to check his phone, he knew it was from Jaejoong.

 

She shrugged and gave their teacher a little look, too. “He doesn’t care.” She crunched down again. “I mean,” she said, slowly chewing, “we’re just answering a worksheet right now, not mixing chemicals. I am hungry.”

 

“I guess.”

 

“Want some?” She shoved the bag toward him. He shook his head. “No thank you.”

 

She shrugged and finished the puff between her thumb and forefinger. “So, back to apple picking. You in?”

 

“I don’t know. You know, I have to work—”

 

“You and your work excuse.” And she said in a whining voice, “No, you have to come. It’s fun. Promised. You have to come, please. Like, autumn is our group’s favorite season. More than summer! And we have so much fun. We have so many things planned. Plus, you didn’t join us for the bonfire, and that was ridiculously fun.”

 

His eyebrows lifted at that.

 

“Way more fun than it had a legal right to be,” she said and winked.

 

She dusted cheese puff dust off her tawny colored knitted sweater. She didn’t miss a beat though, she dived back in convincing him. “We don’t just pick apples, we also go on a hayride, have pumpkin pie, and drink loads of spiked apple cider. It’s a lot, a lot of fun. Promised!”

 

“Any other adjective?”

 

She let out a loud guffaw. “That’s mean, but I'll give you that.”

 

It did sound like it would be a lot of fun, though, and he regretted that he had missed out on the bonfire night. That did seem like it was a good time, if the pictures posted on the groupchat were any indicator.

 

“Alright, I’ll—”

 

“Yay!” she said, cutting him off. She flashed him a bright smile. “I’m so excited. You’ll have fu—” She cleared , the corner of quirking up. “You’ll find it quite diverting. Promised.” She winked at him again. He laughed.

 

Yunho didn’t even bother letting her know he hadn’t said yes yet. 

 

“You sure you don’t want any?”

 

He shook his head, eyeing the bag she was handing him. “Cheese puff tastes too...orange.”

 

She choked, coughed, and laughed. He handed her her large pink thermos bottle of water. It was decorated with a bunch of different stickers.

 

“Thank you,” she said, popping up the straw and taking a mouthful of water. “Aah, you’ve saved my life.”

 

He smiled at her.