Chapter 7

My Mr. Crankypants

I realized belatedly that if I wrote the way I originally wanted this chapter to unfold, it would be draggy, so I technically could have made chapter 6 longer... Oh well, too late now LOL.

There are quite a few asterisks in this chapter, so scroll down to the bottom for more information about a particular word.


 

Immediately annoyed by nothing other than Jaejoong's presence, Byul narrowed her eyes and said warily, "What are you doing here? For the record, I'm not hungry!"

 

Jaejoong laughed, "Defensive as always, Lee Byul."

 

He sat down on her left and stuck out his legs like the way she was doing it, as if to show off how long they were compared to her's. Unlike the other day, Byul noticed that he was dressed up a lot more in his designer suit and fancy shoes. If he wasn't so... pretty looking, she could have mistaken him for a businessman, not that he acted like on at all. She highly doubted if he even had much smarts to begin with. Byul heard him saying something in the background while she wondered what he did for a living, but she was too distracted to listen to him.

 

Jaejoong poked her on the head, surprising Byul. She shouted, "What was that for!"

 

"Did you even hear what I just said? I said, I heard your stomach grumbling already. No use in trying to hide it, little one*. You obviously weren't paying attention, although I don't blame you for being stunned my good looks." Jaejoong arrogantly grinned at Byul, who just rolled her eyes and cringed at his cheesiness.

 

"Since when am I a 'little one'? I told you, I'm twenty years old already." Byul folded her arms and looked away from his annoying face.

 

Jaejoong spoke seductively, "Ah, so you don't deny my stunning good looks." Before Byul was about to protest again, Jaejoong quickly said, "Okay, okay! I won't tease you about that anymore, for now." He smiled, knowing how much he was frustrating her right now. He continued, "But like I told you last time, I'm twenty-seven already, which makes you a little one, compared to me anyway. Would you prefer me calling you 'big one'? That sounds really wrong, you know."

 

Byul couldn't really argue with that and pretended to just ignore him, although she was hyperaware of his close proximity to her. She wished she could just run away somewhere away from him, but she had to wait for Jung Yunho to finish with his damn business before she could leave. Byul sighed and rubbed her hands together to warm them up.

 

Jaejoong was usually a smooth talker and could get along with anyone, but Byul seemed to have the ability to make him awkward. To break the silence, Jaejoong coughed and changed the subject, "Are you busy right now? I could take up that deal we had right now. I haven't had breakfast and I'm starving." He acted as if he would faint onto the ground right at this minute. 

 

Byul's cheeks reddened from embarrassment. How could she tell him she couldn't even afford her own meal at the moment? Hopefully he just thought her cheeks were red because of the chilly air. After just a few seconds of pause, Byul retorted sarcastically, "Your maid didn't make your breakfast for you this morning, young master*?"

 

Jaejoong looked at her straight on and his joking manner went away, "How did you know? She said she was going down to her hometown today."

 

Byul stared blankly at him. She couldn't tell if he was teasing her or if he was actually being serious. Sure, he drove a nice car and he wore nice clothes today, but he couldn't actually be a chaebol*, could he? Byul pursed her lips in contemplation and hesitantly spoke, "You're not actually serious."

 

Jaejoong gently smiled and looked up at the sky, "Hm... Well, who knows?"

 

This time, a comfortable silence grew between the two instead of an awkward one, but it was quickly ruined by Byul's stomach grumbling once again. Jaejoong looked at her knowingly as Byul's face went completely red and she put her arms on her stomach. Jaejoong poked her in the forehead for the second time, "Do you really dislike treating me for a meal that much, Lee Byul?"

 

Byul sighed. It was rude of her to not repay her kindness after Jaejoong had helped her with the gangsters, but she pretty much had no money to use right now. If he really was a chaebol, then the fifteen dollars she had right now wouldn't even cover half the cost of one person's meal at one of the fancy restaurants in Kangnam. She reluctantly decided to be honest with him, "I still haven't don't have my wallet right now."

 

"Yah*, you could have just said so in the first place. Are you taking a bus to Incheon?" Jaejoong glanced at the sign, "This bus stays in Seoul, though. Do you need a ride?"

 

Byul shook her head, "I don't want to be indebted to you anymore than I already am. Besides, the guy that almost ran me over has my bag now. I'm waiting for him to finish his business at the hotel." She pointed behind her.

 

Jaejoong shouted, "What? That's why you were at the hospital? Are you hurt anywhere?" He grabbed her arms and checked her over for any bruises.

 

Byul shook his hands off and realized that Jaejoong hadn't known, "I'm fine! The car didn't hit me. It was my fault for getting in the way anyway." She regretted saying anything about the car accident. Hopefully Jaejoong wouldn't pry too much more about her business.

 

Unfortunately, Jaejoong didn't back off and asked more questions, "Why the heck does that guy have your bag now? And how could he just leave the scene like that when the girl he almost ran over might have been injured? You should report this as a hit and run!"

 

Byul sighed and put her hand to her head, "Look, it's not that serious. He made sure I got to the hospital and he had to leave because of his work. It was definitely not a hit and run. Mind your own business, would you? Sheesh." Before he could question her further, Byul quickly changed the subject. She turned to face him and asked, "Why were you at the hospital that day, anyway?"

 

Jaejoong wasn't fooled by the change of topics, but he let go of the matter. He wasn't quite sure why he was so concered about Lee Byul. Maybe he was still feeling protective because of the incident with the ganssters. He answered her before making her wait too long, "You finally have the decency to ask!" Byul looked surprised and then ashamed. Jaejoong quickly brushed it off, "I'm just teasing you. You get annoyed so easily." He chuckled.

 

"Just answer the question before I hit you!" Byul warned him with a fist in the air.

 

Jaejoong quickly brought her fist down, "Okay, okay. Just don't hit this pretty face of mine. Well, I was doing some... sports with a friend in Incheon and I thought I might have hurt my back, but the chiropractor just said that one of my bones were out of place. I'm getting old, you know." He laughed, embarrassed. 

 

Byul raised an eyebrow and looked at him as if he was gross. She just knew he was a ert playboy, "Yes, I'm sure you were just doing some 'sports'."

 

At first, he didn't understand what he'd said wrong but a few moments later, he quickly understood what it sounded like when he paused and emphasized "sports" like that. Jaejoong raised his hands in denial, "Woah, you totally misunderstood me there. I swear I was just exercising! You want to see my club membership card?" Jaejoong overexaggerated and made a motion as if he was rummaging his pocket for his wallet.

 

Byul rolled her eyes, "No, I do not want to see your club membership card. We are all adults here, Jaejoong*, no need to act so embarra-"

 

Suddenly, a woman's voice called in the background, "Jaejoong-ah! It's time to get lunch!" Byul and Jaejoong both turned to see a woman in her early 50s dressed in very expensive clothing waving at Jaejoong. She was waiting impatiently by the car as the driver opened the door for her.

 

Jaejoong answered back, "Coming, Madame Kim!*" He looked apologetically at Byul, "We always seem to get interrupted. Ah, I would take you out for lunch today but duty calls. Give me a call if you don't get your bag back. I'll sue that idiot's for you!" Before Byul could say anything, Jaejoong took off running towards the car.

 

There was no doubt about it now, Kim Jaejoong was officially a ert. He seduced not only y women his age, but also women old enough to be his mother? No wonder he could afford to drive his car and wear such expensive clothing. Byul made a mental note to never call this guy... Even if he was quite interesting to talk to.


Young Master - This is 도련님 (do-ryun-nim) in Korean. It is usually used by servants to refer to the master of the house's son. 

Chaebol (재벌) - A rich person that usually comes from a family that owns a conglomerate or related to someone who is very high-up in a company who is part of the board of directors. A second-generation chaebol would be the son of the owner of the conglomerate while a third-generation chaebol would be the grandson. Most typically, simply "chaebol" is used to describe any of the above.

Ya (야) - This can either be very rude or show that you're very friendly with someone. It means "you" and is only spoken among same-age friends or to someone younger than you are.

Jaejoong - Whenever Byul says Jaejoong's name, she says 김재중씨 (Kim Jaejoong-ssi) which is what most people call each other the first time they meet. It usually means that the two people aren't close. Byul also chooses to say this to show Jaejoong that they are (or should be) on the same level instead of calling him Oppa. The next step to closeness would be to drop his last name, and then the closest you can get is by just calling him by his name.

Madame (여사) - This is a very formal way of referring to an older woman. It's commonly used to refer to the wives of rich businessmen.