Chapter Two

My Mr. Crankypants

"Oh my god! Is it really him? No wonder he looked so handsome!" A squeaky voice chirped.

 

"Even if he wasn't handsome, I'd marry him anyday. Do realize how expensive his watch was?" Another woman said the vain comment.

 

With a groan, Byul struggled to open her eyes under the bright lights and started to get up from the stiff hospital bed. The gossiping nurses were too busy looking at something to pay attention to the patient. One of the nurses giggled and said, "Of course I know how expensive his watch was! It was a Cartier for Pete's sake! I still can't believe that the CEO of Arirang Hotels came here. Look, even his business card is so expensive looking. I wish I was the one that got into an accident with him and he told me to call him."

 

Byul eyes instantly widened, remembering the man with the brown eyes. His intensity over the situation had stuck to her mind and she couldn't get the image out of her brain. Tired of the nurses' needless gossiping and now thoroughly curious about this guy, she snatched away the business card they were fawning over, "Excuse me, that's mine." She quickly read over the contents of the business card. The name on it was Jung Yunho, CEO of Arirang Hotels with three phone numbers and his email. Not remembering anything after blacking out, she asked the nurses, "So what exactly happened to me?"

 

The squeaky-voiced nurse briefly looked annoyed but cleverly put on a bright face again, "The man that brought you here said that you almost got hit by his car and it looks like you fainted from the shock. He told you to call him once you wake up, but you'll have to wait for another thirty minutes for your IV drip to finish. Let us know if you need anything else."

 

With a bow, the nurses left, relieved to go on their break elsewhere to continue talking about how cool Jung Yunho was, while the wheels started turning in Byul's mind. If he really is the CEO of Arirang Hotels... Byul shook her head hard and refused to let herself stoop that low. Defrauding some guy, no matter how rich he was, by claiming that he caused her pyschological issues was what her good-for-nothing brother would do. Donghae frequently made up some pressing financial problem and complained about it to his endless line of women who simply believed his smooth words and forked over the money without a single question of doubt. Snap out of it, Byul! I am definitely not like Oppa!

 

Slowly, Byul got out of the bed and dragged her IV drip stand with her to take a trip to the bathroom. As she came back out, she could hear some loud noises that were awfully familiar... "Where the hell is she now? Aish, that midget always takes off when we get there!" The gangster leader was back and angrily flung an IV drip stand, scaring the two nurses who had just come back from their break.

 

"W-we don't know. She was just there a moment ago before we went on our break." The squeaky-voiced nurse's voice seemed to become even higher, if that was even possible. Even though the situation was tense, Byul couldn't help but chuckle a little at the nurses who now seemed like tame kittens instead of the gossiping fools they were just a few minutes ago.

 

"She must be hiding here somewhere, the little midget." Taking the cue, the lackeys started to roam around the room and head towards the hallway where Byul was hiding, "If you idiots don't find her in the hospital, you're all dead!" The leader threatened.

 

Oh crap... Byul inwardly sighed as this mouse and cat game began once more. Although she hated looking at needles going in and out of someone's skin, this was not the time to be worried about other matters. Gathering her courage with an inward Hwaiting!, Byul pulled out the needle with a shriek. Instantly, all eyes were on her and a lackey shouted, "There's the midget!"

 

A split second later, Byul was off, running down the halls with some gangsters running like idiots after a girl who was pretty much half their size. If Byul saw this in a movie, she'd be laughing her head off. But this was obviously not a movie and although most of the lackeys were brainless idiots, she was as sure as hell that the closest one on her tail wasn't. He didn't shout or yell like the rest of them who wasted a lot of their energy trying to threaten her instead of actually giving chase.

 

Taking a quick left at the end of the hall, Byul dashed into the emergency stairwell and bolted down the stairs, careful not to fall. Focusing even more intently on the path in front of her, she didn't see a tall man casually come up, looking surprised at the wild girl running frantically in the opposite direction. Before he could even attempt to get out the way, her light brown eyes pierced into his for a split second. He was momentarily stunned at how determined she looked, contradicting her baby face. The girl tripped and fell, flying on top of him, sending both of them crashing to the floor. 

 

The man was about to ask if she was alright, but he was beat to the punch when the lackey twisted Byul's arm to force her to her feet. He slammed her against the wall and grinned at her with a greasy smile, "So Lee Byul, are you finally going to spill the beans on where your dear brother went? To be honest, I don't want to have to do this whole cycle all over again. Why don't you just come with us and work to pay off his debt, hm? We all know Donghae is probably gone for good by now, with so many loan sharks going after him."

 

Byul shuddered with disgust as he literally wiped his hand down her cheek in a so-called caress. She grabbed his hand off her face and bit hard into his arm, making him shout in pain. He quickly shoved her against the wall again and gave her a hard slap across Byul's face, "You !" Her mind went completely blank all of a sudden, in shock from the sudden slap. Just a few moments later, she could feel the blood rushing to her cheek and the pain settled in. Unconsiously, tears started streaming down her face as Byul bit on her lip.

 

"What the hell are you doing to a woman?!" The man who had been knocked over yelled, right before clocking one right in the lackey's jaw.