Chapter 5

My Mr. Crankypants

Finally my tests are over and I have some free time T_T I will try to update more often now! xD My apologies to the past readers if I didn't write this the same way as I did the first time. I had more trouble remembering what I wrote in chapter 5 than in chapter 4 even though I wrote chapter 5 more recently. I feel like this one was a bit boring... Sorry about that D: I really need to start making Byul more likeable  and less bitter :/

To my newer readers, this timing of this chapter might not make so much sense at first, but you'll understand as you keep reading!


Byul shook her head as she walked down the street, heading towards an old-looking but cheap jjimjilbang. After the model-like lady had approached them, Jaejoong was quickly taken away, looking embarrassed and apologetic towards Byul, not that she cared. She was just annoyed that she had to treat that kind of person for a meal. Byul kept reminding herself that he helped her escape the gangsters but also grumbled with a frown, "I could have handled them on my own anyway."

 

Without a place to stay or her wallet, Byul had no choice but to go to a jjimjilbang for the night. Thankfully, she always kept a twenty dollar bill folded inside her shoe in case of emergencies just like this. She would have to spend her money wisely for the next little while if she didn't want to starve.

 

Tired and a little sore from the fall earlier that day, Byul slowly paid for entry and made her way into the bath house for a quick shower. Shortly after, Byul went inside the sauna room to relax from the day's events. She headed towards the more private area of the sauna room, away from some loud ahjummas that were gambling with hwatu, even at ten o'clock at night.  

 

Lying down on the warm marble floor with a hard pillow at her head, Byul began planning out her budget. Getting into the jjimjilbang had already cost her five dollars so she only had fifteen dollars now. She knew that it wouldn't be enough unless she wanted to either go hungry for the next few days or sleep out on the streets like some homeless person. No matter how financially burdened she had been, she had never actually had to spend a night outside of a building, something she didn't want to experience now.

 

With more determination, Byul decided that she would head over to Arirang Hotels the next day to get her bag back from the man that almost hit her with his car. She had called Incheon General Hospital just a few minutes earlier to enquire about her bag, only to find out that the man who had brought her to the hospital just picked it up earlier that afternoon. The bus fare from Incheon to Seoul would cost another five dollars and if she skipped breakfast, she could at least keep the ten dollars just in case she didn't happen to get her bag back the next day. 

 

Byul took the gold business card out of her pocket and read Jung Yunho's name again. Although he was decent enough to send her to a hospital and leave his contact information, she still really hoped he wouldn't be some rude businessman that would make things difficult for her. Byul contemplated calling one of the numbers on the business card, but decided that it would be too late anyway and she didn't want to come off as rude when she needed to get something from him. She didn't like having to go through so much trouble to just solve a simple problem. Eventually, thinking about all the happened today made Byul exhausted and she quickly fell asleep, surprisingly feeling content and warm in the sauna room.

 

The next morning, Byul woke up with a jerk as some small kids screamed loudly near her sleeping area. Today was a Sunday and lots of families with children came to the jjimjilbang. Byul wouldn't care so much about the kids if their parents bothered to keep an eye on them and prevent them from causing such a public disturbance. Glancing at her phone, she saw that it was only ten in the morning. She had planned to sleep in until at least noon so she could skip breakfast without feeling hungry, but that plan was now moot.

 

Taking another hot shower after waking up, Byul decided to head out early to Seoul. The earlier she got her bag back, the better. Even as reluctant as she was about spending her meager amount of money, Byul bought a ticket for the bus trip to the Arirang Hotel in Kangnam which also had the hotel chain's main offices located in the building right next to it.

 

After making herself comfortable on the bus, Byul took out her old cell phone to give Jung Yunho a call to ask to meet him somewhere. Byul pushed the center button to turn it on, only to be met with no change in color in the screen. Byul tried to push another button to no avail. After attempting to turn it on a couple more times with the "on" button, she finally resigned herself to the sad truth that her cell phone had died sometime while she was asleep last night. Byul let out a grunt in frustration, scaring some of the other passengers nearby on the bus. When they turned to look at her, she gave an annoyed stare back, making them too scared to look at her again for the rest of the trip.

 

After an excruciatingly long hour, Byul finally hopped off the bus and faced the grand building in front of her. Wealthy travelers were just checking out and getting in the numerous hotel-owned luxury cars to get to the airport while other posh-looking businessmen and women were heading into the hotel. They walked with such confidence that Byul could believe them if they said they could afford to buy anything in the world. A disappointed sigh escaped Byul's lips without her even realizing, wishing she could have such a lifestyle where she didn't have to worry about her next meal.

 

Snapping herself out of her jealousy, Byul walked through the front doors, unabashed by her appearance that didn't fit well with all the splendor inside the hotel. She went up to the front desk where a pretty lady momentarily looked surprised at the poor girl who had just dared to come into such a fancy hotel dressed like that. Not a second later, the lady quickly composed herself again with a fake smile. She bowed and asked daintily, "How may I help you?"

 

Byul took Jung Yunho's business card out of her pocket and put it on the counter, "I'm here to speak with Jung Yunho."

 

"Do you have an appointment, miss? Mr. Jung's clients usually speak to Secretary Yoon on the top floor." The lady replied.

 

Byul was getting more and more frustrated by the moment and it didn't help that she was very hungry now too, which always made her more sensitive and annoyed. The lady could tell from first glance that Byul hadn't made an appointment and spoke a little too apologetically, "I'm sorry, miss, but I'm afraid you're going to have to make an appointment first."

 

Byul tried to talk calmly, "Just let this Mr. Jung know that the girl that he almost ran over with his car is here. He'll know right away who I am."

 

The lady just looked at Byul as if she was crazy and slowly dropped her gentle act, "I'm sorry but I'm going to have to call security if you cannot calm down, miss."

 

Byul just scoffed. She hadn't even been talking loudly! She was shocked at the behaviour of the employees in this hotel. Even if Byul didn't agree with it, she could at least understand if the hotel patrons looked down on her. After all, she barely had any money. However, for someone who simply worked for these wealthy people to act all arrogant to her just made her laugh at the ridiculousness, "I am calm, thank you very much. I'm not the one that is making an exaggeration of the situation here. I have my own two legs to get me out of here, miss." 

 

In anger, Byul stormed off away from the counter as the lady started her fake act again with another patron. This day was just getting worse and worse and Byul was becoming hungrier and hungrier too, but she it didn't look like she could have any luck meeting Jung Yunho today so that meant that it would be safer to skip lunch as well. Byul started thinking about going to a jjimjilbang in Seoul earlier and just wasting time there. Maybe a nice manager might lend her a cell phone charger too.

 

Just then, Byul looked at the corner where the elevators were located. She peered over at the lady who was preoccupied with someone else and the guards weren't paying attention to her either. All she had to do was go up the elevator! The lady had said it was on the top floor.

 

Making sure no one was looking her way, Byul quickly walked around the corner away from view and entered the elevator. Byul pushed the button to the top floor, smiling to herself that at least this one thing had finally gone right today. Unexpectedly, the elevator didn't move an inch. In fact, the door didn't even close! Byul look closer at the buttons and noticed a little slot that blended in very well with the gold background. You had to put in your key card in order to use the elevator. Byul dejectedly walked out of the elevator, chiding herself for not realizing that this rich of a hotel would definitely have higher security measures against people like her.

 

Byul dragged her feet along the marble floor, deciding that she'd just go take a nap at the jjimjilbang. Hopefully, she would get into contact with Jung Yunho tonight or at the very least, tomorrow morning. Let's make it through this, Lee Byul! Don't be so depressed! Byul was starting to dislike her own depressive actions these day and if there was no one else to encourage her, she at least tried to encourage herself.

 

Just as she turned around the corner, she was sent flying back onto the marble floor after hitting something with her head. Byul rubbed her her head where it was hit and looked up to see who it was that ran into her. Without even making eye contact with her, the tall man gave a half-hearted apology and continued walking on. Something inside of Byul snapped at this final humiliation. Everything had gone wrong today and she was sick and tired of being looked down on. She immediately got to her feet and yelled loudly, "Is that what you rich businessmen do when you knock someone over? I'd expect that people who grew up in such a rich society to have better manners than that!" 

 

A hush immediately fell upon the hotel lobby as people stared, shocked at the tiny girl yelling at the CEO of Arirang Hotels. Byul willed silently for the man to turn around and face her. When he finally made eye contact with her, it was Byul who stood frozen, looking straight at those intense brown eyes that she instantly recognized from their encounter just yesterday.