Chapter 6

My Mr. Crankypants

I started writing this chapter the day after I finished chapter 5, but I never got around to finishing it, unfortunately, so I only published it today haha... I'm sorry that Yunho still hasn't had huge interactions with Byul yet! It's all building up, I promise xD Also I've been meaning to ask my readers, do you think my writing is too draggy? My chapters have been getting longer (this one is an exception) so I hope it's not boring you guys!

If I ever use any asterisks (*), refer to the end of the story to find out any notes I may make about the word. I will use it usually to explain what the Korean is or if it is a Korean word, what the English meaning is.

 I finally have a poster for this story, made by Aeryth (thanks Elise and sorry for the trouble!),  so now the pages don't look so lonely anymore.


Byul's eyes widened as she realized that the person she had just bumped into her was Jung Yunho, the very man she had gone to Arirang Hotels to talk to! She opened to say something, but her mind was blank from shock and she couldn't form any words to speak. Finally, she croaked out, "You-"

 

Yunho walked over to Byul and spoke quickly, "I have a very important business matter to take care of right now. Please wait in the lobby and Secretary Yoon will come down to speak with you at the earliest time as possible." With a slight bow, Yunho and Secretary Yoon were already heading towards the elevators. All this happened within just a few seconds and Byul was about to lose her chance.

 

Byul could see that Yunho was carrying her bag and called out, "Wait! My bag! Just give-" However, the doors of the elevators already closed and Yunho was too preoccupeid to even hear the few words she managed to get out.

 

Suddenly, the lady at the counter called over the security guards and pointed straight at Byul. Two buff men walked over and grabbed her by the arms while some people standing near them whispered and wondered who this wild child was. Jung Yunho, the idiot, hadn't spoken loud enough for the rest of the lobby to hear and now they thought she was being a nuisance. Before the guards could degrade her by dragging her through the lobby and kicking her out the door, Byul shoved their arms out of the way and declared, "I can walk myself out, thank you very much!"

 

Regardless of what Byul declared, the security guards didn't trust her and led her out the front door, albeit with less force than first intended, seeing as how she was complying. Byul kicked the luxurious red carpet, at least giving that a piece of her mind if she couldn't get through to anyone else in the building. Sneaking a peek through the glass doors, Byul could see that the guards were still looking at her and decided it wasn't so safe to stay on the hotel property. However, before she was about to leave, she decided to have some fun and release her stress. When the guards finally turned around facing away from her, Byul stook up a hand as if she was about to punch them and quietly cursed at them. One of the guards turned back to face her, catching her fist in mid-air. She quickly relaxed her hand and made it seem like she was smoothing out her brown hair, giving the guard an awkward smile. Not risking another humiliation, she fast walked out of view and headed towards the bus stop right in front of the hotel.

 

Byul's short trip to the hotel had been nothing but a disaster. She sat down in the most rough way as possible, folding her arms and crossing her legs. It was now one o'clock in the afternoon, but it felt as cold as night since winters in Korea were always very chilly. At least Byul had a small shelter at the bus stop. She could only hope that Jung Yunho would take care of his business quickly so she could finally get her bag and move on with her life, not that she had much of a plan of where she was going after she got kicked out of her home. 

 

After a while, Byul observed the cycle of people coming to the bus stop and disappearing as the next bus came. It reminded her of her childhood  when her parents left her and Donghae at the orphanage, promising them that they'd come back for them soon only to never keep true to their word. While Donghae was always more of the stand-offish type when they were little, Byul remembered making many friends at the orphanage. However, it was almost like she was stuck in the same place while those friends slowly started getting adopted away. Sometimes, Byul thought maybe it was because she refused to be separated from her brother, but she always secretly felt like it was herself that was the problem. After all, if her parents didn't want her, who else would? Maybe that was why Donghae started distancing himself from her as they became teenagers and finally, he abandoned her just like their parents did.

 

After a while of thinking, Byul's stomach rumbled loudly. Her hand immediately went onto her stomach, as if she was shutting it up. She quickly looked left and right to see if anyone was around to hear her. Thankfully, the bus had just left a few minutes ago so no one was waiting around. 

 

"Hungry, are you?" A male voice spoke from behind the bus stop wall.

 

Byul quickly whipped around, fearing that a gangster had found her, even all the way in Seoul. What she saw instead though, was Kim Jaejoong's overconfident smirk with his hands in his pockets.


*Little One - This sounds a bit awkward in English, but it is 꼬맹이 (ggo-maeng-i) in Korean. It means something like "kiddo" or the way I've translated it, "little one". Jaejoong uses this term because Byul is cute and childish (in her own way... xD). It's usually used as a term of affection for little kids or younger people.

Sorry this chapter was on the shorter side but if I dragged it out until the next natural chapter break, this chapter would be extremely long. Thankfully, I've alread started working a bit on that one so it should be up within then next couple of days (or tonight, if I'm motivated).