Chapter 4

My Mr. Crankypants

Since it looks there's pretty no chance of getting my chapters back, I decided to just get on with it and rewrite chapter 4 and 5. *sigh* It was my own fault for not saving my work. I'm just sad that I lost the chapters I worked the hardest on in terms of character information T_T I wrote this version of this chapter slightly differently than the lost version so even if you've already seen the original chapter 4, it might not be a bad idea to read this one again.


Jung Yunho sighed as he stepped out the hospital room. Leaning against the wall, he felt frustrated and disappointed in himself. The doctor had just told him that his grandfather's heart wouldn't hold up for much longer and that Yunho should start preparing himself. Yunho just had to fulfill his grandfather's last request before the elderly man passed away, filled with regrets.

 

Jung Chulsoo had given Yunho the task of finding his long-lost granddaughter, the child of his late daughter. He had disowned his daughter after she married a poor, uneducated man instead of choosing one of the suitors that he had carefully picked for her. He was terribly wrong when he thought she would never turn her back on her own family to live a life full of hardship for something she imagined was love. Instead of doing anything to stop her from leaving, he became even more angry and decided to stop contact with her altogether. Even when she contacted him about his first granddaughter being born, he couldn't let go of the past and ignored her attempts to reconcile with him. Finally, when he decided to admit his wrong, Chulsoo found out that she and her husband had passed away years ago in an earthquake in Japan, leaving behind their two year old baby.

 

At first, the Jung family was filled with motivation and Chulsoo was even quite healthy because he had a reason to keep living. However, time went by quickly only to bring more and more disappointment as each girl they thought was Chulsoo's granddaughter failed the DNA test. In the end, Chulsoo's healthy deteriorated so much until Yunho had to start looking for his cousin on his own while Chulsoo spent all his time at the hospital. 

 

Yunho didn't have much information about his younger cousin after she got older. He didn't even know if she was adopted by a Japanese couple or was sent back to Korea. With nothing more to go by, not even a name, the situation was looking extremely dark. It would be impossible to find her in such a short period of time, but he had to hold onto some kind of hope that there would be a miracle before the end came. 

 

Interrupting his thoughts, Secretary Yoon walked up to him with a bow, "Mr. Jung, the hospital in Incheon contacted us saying that the girl left her purse behind. Should I get it?"

 

"No, I'll go get it. I need to pick up the medical report as well anyway." Yunho replied. He needed some quiet time to calm himself down. As responsible as always, he made sure that nothing was not attended to in his absence, "Can you take double check that everything is running smoothly for the Japanese clients at the hotel? We really can't mess up this deal."

 

Secretary Yoon nodded as Yunho also told her to make sure that a caretaker was always in his grandfather's room in case he needed something, "Call me immediately if something goes wrong."

 

With that, Yunho drove for an hour to the neighbouring city, Incheon. The skies were bright blue and the sun was shining, a rarity in all the snow that fell this February, but Yunho couldn't enjoy the luxury. He regretted trying to clear his mind when he probably would have felt better pushing himself into work. Thankfully, he soon reached the hospital and walked inside the lobby. Walking over to the front desk, he inquired about the girl that he almost ran over.

 

An annoying nurse with a high-pitched voice dismissed the original girl that had been working behind the counter as soon as he explained what had happened, "Oh, that girl! I was the one that was in charge of her during her very brief stay here. We had the most terrible time when the gangsters came looking for her." She lamented about her problems. 

 

Yunho smiled politely as the squeaky nurse talked on and on about what had happened. He could see right through her act and frankly, she came off as being vain and stupid to him. Without ruffling any feathers, he quietly interrupted her before she could keep going and said, "As you probably already know, I'm actually quite busy. I was wondering if you have her purse and a medical report? I need it for insurance purposes."

 

"Of course I would know! How could the CEO of Arirang Hotels not be busy?" She said with a giggle, "Here you are! There was pretty much nothing wrong with her health." She handed the items over.

 

Yunho said his goodbyes and walked straight out the hospital. Now he was really regretting his decision not to just send Secretary Yoon here to pick up the items. He set the purse down on the passenger seat to the right of him after he got back in his black Mercedes Benz. He took out the wallet inside, looking for some kind of ID, only to find a debit card and a bit of cash. It looked like she didn't even have a driver's license. Putting the wallet back in place, he took out a small notebook, hoping to at least find a name. Randomly, he opened to a page full of numbers and calculations on her spendings and her debt. At the bottom, there was a deficit of ten thousand dollars. Right beside the deficit was some random scribbles and a small message, "Top goal: Become richer than a chaebol!" It was scratched out and beside it she rewrote, "Be realistic Lee Byul. Become as rich as a chaebol!" 

 

With a chuckle, Yunho put the notebook back. Since Arirang Hotels was closely linked with many banks in Seoul, he could easily get Secretary Yoon to find out Lee Byul's information. It would be a bit faster, now that he knew what her name was. 

 

Suddenly, Yunho's cell phone vibrated in the chest pocket of his suit jacket. Pulling it out, he could tell that this phone call was important since Secretary Yoon was calling, and she never called if it wasn't a matter of urgency. He quickly put the phone to his ear, fearing the worst, "Hello? What's happened?"

 

Secretary Yoon's calm voice spoke, "The Japanese clients say they want to go home early because they're not satisfied with the trip. They do not seem to be in the mood to deal with the translator and the employees. I think it'd be best if you could come and talk to them."

 

This would be an annoying problem, but it still relieved Yunho from his greater fear, "Alright. I'm coming back to Seoul now." He quickly hung up and started the car. Thankfully, it wasn't rush hour yet and he wasn't stuck in traffic on his way back to Seoul. 

 

Yunho reached Seoul as fast as he could and drove up to the valet. He grabbed his briefcase, jacket, and the purse before getting out the car and handing the keys to the valet to park to the car. Secretary Yoon greeted him promptly in the lobby and explained the situation in more detail, "It seems like they were unimpressed with the translator. Apparently he was not as fluent as they would have liked him to be."

 

"Okay, let's deal with this in the office." Yunho said as he and Secretary Yoon walked towards the elevators. 

 

As they made a turn around the corner, a short girl crashed into Yunho's chest and was sent flying back onto the marble floor. She groaned and rubbed her head in pain. Yunho said a quick apology, since he had to settle the business with the Japanese clients as soon as possible. As he was walking away, he heard a angry yell, "Hey! Is that the kind of manners you rich businessmen have?"

 

Yunho sighed, really having no time to deal with this. He turned around, and immediately stared into those light brown eyes for the second time of his life.


I hope I managed to re-create this chapter quite accurately! I had to write this again completely from memory :(