Sacrifice

Alternative to the Last

Ichiraku was teeming with patrons. It was one of the most popular places to eat in the village for two reasons that were synonymous it seems : Naruto and Ramen. While the food was undoubtedly good, it was fairly common knowledge that you had the greatest chance of a Naruto sighting at this watering hole.

He strolled in casually with his hands stuck in his grey sweatpants.

"Right on time." Sakura strolled up beside him. She glared at the girls who she knew were aiming to make a beeline in his direction.

"Sakura chan" he smiled at her causing her insides to do a little dance.

"Sakura. Naruto." another voice came from behind them.

"Ino" they said in unison.

"I should have known I'd find you here." Ino smirked with a hand on her hip, her hair cascading to her calf.

"Were you looking for me?" Naruto asked.

"No. I actually just really felt like I wanted some ramen. Shikamaru and Choji went for Bar-b-q down the street."

Ino flanked them and they made their way to the last 3 seats available.

After placing their order, they chatted casually.

"The Rinne Festival is coming up." Ino said  "Have you gotten your gifts already?"

Sakura nodded .

"I'm done. How about you?"

"I still have a few things to get last minute." Ino confessed

"Naruto?" 

 He scratched his head in that usual sheepish way.

"Well I haven't really done any shopping yet but I've gotten a few gifts though."

Ino smirked. 

"A few? I'm sure you could open your own flower shop by now.We have gotten so many customers at our shop buying sunflowers."

"Well--" Naruto stuttered

Ino laughed.

"Imagine that. Who would have imagined that you would have become so popular with the girls." She took a sip of her drink "Even I think I could fall for you."

Sakura's eyes widened.

"Ino! What are you saying?"

"Oh come on Sakura.We all know you only have eyes for Sasuke but Naruto here is prime property now."

Sakura was mute.

At Ino's statement, Naruto looked down at his hand.

"That darn Ino and her big mouth" Sakura cursed internally while glaring at her friend "What did she know anyway?"

"One of these days, some woman is going to snatch him up." Ino continued, staring pointedly at Sakura with a smirk as she sipped her drink.

Sakura's fist tightened

"Cha! Ino!" she raged internally

"Hello everyone." a barely audible voice greeted them.

Sakura's heart dropped.

"Hinata!"

"Oy Hinata! Join us." Naruto beckoned to her. "Order whatever you want."

"You can sit here." Sakura offered, relinquishing the seat on Naruto's right side.

Hinata was still clutching that bag from earlier.

She could probably figure out what was going to happen next. She will finally tell Naruto how she feels about him. The only thing she could do now is step aside. She'd had her chance all these years and she'd wasted them foolishly chasing Sasuke's shadow. He hadn't even been back to the village since he left.

In protest Naruto also got up from his seat.

"Sit here." he offered.

Just then a swarm descended upon their group.

"Naruto senpaiii" The girls cooed as they surrounded him, almost knocking Hinata out of the way.

"I-I was just passing by." Hinata suddenly spoke up. "I just remembered I have something to do."

Sakura glared at the girls who backed off slightly.

"Why don't you walk Hinata home Naruto?" 

"Walk her home? Why would I do that?" he asked.

"Because it might not be the best thing to have a young lady walk alone at night." Sakura replied

"But Hinata is strong. Nobody would dare mess with her." he countered.

"Cha!" she swore internally 

"I- I'll see you around." Hinata offered before stalking off into the night.

"You idiot!" Sakura scolded him.

Naruto looked confused.

"Idiot? Why am I an idiot?" he questioned.

Sakura clicked her tongue before running after Hinata.

She finally caught up to her a few meters away.

"He can be really stupid right." she opened as she fell in step with Hinata.

Hinata shook her head, her bag still clutched tightly.

"He doesn't really understand this kind of thing."

"He. He was wearing a new scarf." Hinata pointed out.

"Hmm?" Sakura replied thoughtfully. "Now that you mention it. He was.I thought that was from you."

Hinata shook her head again and clung to the bag.

"Well you should still give yours to him. I'm sure he would love it."

Hinata looked at Sakura.

"Why--why are you encouraging me this much?" she asked.

"Because I've been in your shoes, I know what it's like." She sighed once "And because I don't want your opportunity to pass."

"S-Sakura-san"

Sakura tried her best to perk up.

"So do your best Hinata."

Hinata nodded.

Saying their goodbyes they parted ways.

Sakura looked up at the sky as she walked back to Ichiraku's.The moon though it looked lovely, it looked unusually large.

"Was it always this big?" she pondered as she went.

Naruto was still sitting with Ino.

"Sakura chan.You're back."

"Mmm. I walked Hinata home." she told him.

"Hinata? But why? Is something wrong?"

Sakura couldn't hide her exasperation as she re-positioned herself beside him.

She hadn't gotten to eat her food because Hinata had suddenly showed up and then she'd walked her home.

As though he was breaking into her thoughts, he spoke.

"You should eat."

She smiled at him and nodded. Making a second order to replace the one that had gone cold.

"Say Naruto. Have you heard from Sasuke?" Ino asked.

"Not for a while." Naruto admitted. "He's still traveling."

"I wish he'd just come back to the village--I know he's missed. Right Sakura?"

Sakura froze. 

What game was Ino playing? For years they had both had their eyes set on Sasuke.Most of the girls their age did. He was a dream. Handsome, talented and cool.Over the years however, Ino seemed to have gotten over her fantasy. The same couldn't have been said about her. She still desired him like a fool--even after he tried to kill her twice.

She looked over at Naruto.

Things were different now.

Now she realized that Sasuke was just an unhealthy obsession on her part.He'd never been there when she needed him--not like him. Sasuke had caused so much hurt and she'd caused so much hurt because of Sasuke.

"I'm sure he'll come back when he's ready." Naruto interjected. "Right Sakura?" He looked at her. His eyes so warm.

She nodded.

"Right."

Ino finished the last of her drink and stood up.

"Alright. Time for me to go." she announced. "I have an early day tomorrow.It was good to see you both." 

"Bye"

"See you Ino."

Naruto and Sakura waved as she went off.

"I know you miss him." Naruto said when Ino was gone.His voice was low and had a hint of sadness.

She  looked at him.

He put a smile on.

"Don't worry. I'm sure he'll come back soon. And then--" he trailed off.

"Naruto---" she began.He didn't understand. It wasn't like that for her anymore. She'd finally realized that the one that was truly in her heart was not Sasuke.

"Hmm?" he looked at her curiously.

Her heart raced and she put her chopsticks down staring 

"I think Hinata--Hinata wanted to talk to you earlier."

"She did?" he asked a bit surprised.

"But she was just here."

Sakura sighed.

"Were you always this stupid?"

"What's going on?Did I miss something ?"

"You should talk to Hinata." Sakura said. "I'm going home."

"Let me go with you." he offered.

She wanted to say yes. More than anything but she didn't deserve to.He truly needed to be with someone who'd always seen him.

"I'm fine stupid.Goodnight."

"Sakura chan." He called after her.

She waved without a second glance and left him staring after her.