Resolute Hearts

Alternative to the Last

"So the enemy was a descendant of the Uzumaki Clan." Kakashi said as the ninja, including Sasuke stood in the Hokage's office once more. 

The leaf shinobi has just returned to Konohagakure after completing their mission in the Land of Whirlpools.

They'd safely returned all the captives to their respective villages unharmed.

"Good work everyone." Kakashi commended them. 

After the debriefing the hokage dismissed the shinobi, save Sasuke who he asked to stay back.

Naruto walked out the door ahead of Hinata.

They had walked a few paces out the door when she called out to him.

"Hinata." he looked at her with his beautiful blue eyes.

She reached into her ninja pack and retrieved the scarf, handing it to him with her head bowed.

"This is.." he thought about the temple.

"Naruto-kun. I---I--I--" she began to stutter and her face reddened.

He took the scarf and placed his hands reassuringly on hers.

"I know." he said to her in a gentle voice. "I saw. Thank you. Your love saved me."

She looked up at him, speechless, tears threatening to break the dam.

"When I was in the temple pulling the chakra chains, your feelings flowed into me. I felt it all. The people's pain, their fear. Your love."

She cast her eyes to the ground.

"Hinata." his voice was sincere " You've always been there even when I didn't see you.Cheering me on. Encouraging me.I know now that you have always believed in me." He looked down at the scarf  "Your feelings mean alot to me." He didn't feel great about what he was about to say next but it was his truth "But I'm inlove with someone else."

She averted his gaze.

"I see." she replied. Her voice was barely a whisper. Mustering all her courage she finally looked at him. "I only want you to be happy." she told him as she released the scarf in his hand "To me you will always be an important person that has saved me in more ways than one."

Without another word she turned and left.

He watched her go, feeling terrible.

It wasn't that Hinata wasn't amazing. He was sure he could marry her one day and even raise a family with her but his heart hadn't given up on it's dream. That vision it had formed the very first day he laid eyes on her.

He was so engrossed in his thoughts he didn't realize that he'd stopped dead in the walkway.

"What's the matter?"

"Sasuke!"

"You were just staring off into space." Sasuke commented

"Oh. That."

Sasuke looked at the scarf in his hand but did not comment.

"Are you coming back to the village?" Naruto asked his friend as they began to move again.

"Not yet. There are still things I need to do." Sasuke replied.

"How long is it going to take?" Naruto asked. "You've been gone for such a long time."

"There are still things and feelings I need to figure out for myself."

"What about us? " Naruto questioned "I know Sakura chan would love it if you came back"

Sasuke stopped and looked at his friend.

"Are you sure about that?"

"Of course."

"Are you sure that would make you happy?"

Naruto looked at the scarf in his hand once more.

"You and Sakura are like my family now." Sasuke told Naruto."This village is my home. Even if I'm not here.There are things that I now have to fill the hole that was in my heart."

Naruto smiled.

It warmed his heart to hear those words from his friend. His first true bond. The road had been long and they'd gone through hell together but now he was back and he knew he was never leaving his side again.

"Dummy.It's ok to be selfish sometimes." Sasuke told him before stalking off.

He was about to call after him when Naruto felt someone grab him by the wrist.

"Naruto. We need to talk."

"Sakura."

His blue eyes met her green ones and he nodded.

She saw the scarf in his hand and her heart sank.

Maybe it was better if she didn't...she began to think but her internal voice quickly quelled her. 

She would follow through with her plan.

She turned and looked at him in surprise.

"Can we talk for a few minutes?"