Confession

Alternative to the Last

Sakura and Naruto walked side by side towards the Aun Gate.Neither spoke a word  but both their minds were racing.

They approached the bench close to the gate and sat down.

Naruto smiled when he saw it. This was where he'd transformed into Sasuke to get a kiss from Sakura.

Sakura had a sad smile. This is where she'd said her final goodbye to Sasuke before he defected from the Leaf.

"I've never really apologized to you." Sakura began. "Ever since we were children, I treated you like a nuisance like everyone else did.It's funny how I was placed on the same Team as you and Sasuke. Back then I would have given anything for Sasuke's affections. Even though you were both my teammates, I ignored you and never showed you enough care."

"Sakura-chan"

"No. Let me finish. " she requested. "The day when Sasuke left it was the worst day of my life.I still had you but I only cared about him.I never even allowed myself to think about how you were feeling about it and then I asked you to make that stupid promise and you like the fool you are, agreed.For years I stood by your side only in body while my heart and mind chased after Sasuke in the shadows." She turned to look at him. "I'm sorry Naruto. Forgive me." her voice began to break a little. "Forgive me for being selfish. For not being there for you when you never ONCE left my side. Forgive me for not seeing you when you were always there.Forgive me  Naruto. I'm so sorry." she bowed her head and her tears fell on her curled fists. "I know I am not worthy of you but now I've realized the truth of what is in my heart and ---I love you."

The final words fell out of .

For what seemed like an eternity no words were spoken.Naruto looked at the scarf that was still in his hand and then at Sakura who had not yet lifted her head to look at him.

"Sakura chan." he began. "I became strong because of you." he told her.

Her head snapped up to look at him.

"You were one of the things I wanted to protect the most in this world. That is why I tried to get stronger everytime." he confessed. "Sasuke was my goal but you were also always in my vision.I never wanted to see you hurt.Even on those days when I would watch your face light up talking about Sasuke, though it hurt inside, I also smiled because I loved to see you happy.That's why I couldn't turn away when you asked me to bring Sasuke back.You were so sad and I only wanted to see you smile again.I never once lost the desire to stop protecting you, of wanting to see you smile."

He touched her face with his right hand and wiped her tears, his bandage absorbing them.

"Don't cry ." he said to her "I've never stopped wanting you to be happy.I've never stopped loving you."

Sakura looked at him in a kind of disbelief

"Naruto..." she said his name softly, joy welling up inside her.

He smiled broadly at her and all her anxieties and fears were dissipated.

"I love you Naruto." she told him. This time she meant it with all her heart.

At the sound of the words,he blushed slightly before smiling.

"I love you Sakura."

He pulled closer to her, gradually closing the gap between them until their lips met.

She embraced him and her heart swelled.Now she felt like she was truly at home.

When they pulled away he grinned and scratched his head sheepishly

"That was exactly how I imagined it."

Sakura blushed.

"Thank God I got you to kiss me as me and not as Sasuke."

She eyed him. 

"What do you mean?" she questioned. Before he could answer realisation dawned on her and she smacked him in the head. "That was you?!"

He grinned guiltily

"Well..now now Sakura-chan..." he began to defend himself

She laughed and pulled him close to her again.

"Well I wasn't your first kiss but I'll gladly take the rest." she teased, both of them knowing she was making reference to the kiss between him and Sasuke at the Academy.

He made a face before putting his lips on hers once more.

Their kiss was interrupted by someone's sudden appearance, clearing their throat.

Both Naruto and Sakura recoiled with lightning speed and blushes to match.

"You two are finally done being annoying then." Sasuke spoke to them with a smirk.

"Sasuke!" Naruto called out

"Oi.Take care of this idiot." Sasuke addressed Sakura.

"I will." she said with a smile.

Sasuke smiled at them both

"I'm going. Later." he said as he walked towards the gate.

Naruto and Sakura exchanged glances before interlocking their hands together with a smile.

They were each other's family.

That's the way it'd always been and would be forever.