Epilogue - Hinata

Alternative to the Last

Hinata walked into the forest.

She'd been here countless times. She'd spent many days and nights training here. Just like him. She would often watch him from behind the trees while he trained persistently.All the while, her love grew.

It had been a few months since the mission to the Land of Whirlpools. He knew how she felt. She knew how he felt.Their feelings were just not the same. While she'd loved him, he'd loved someone else.

While she was heartbroken and certainly disappointed, she only wanted what was best for him. If he was happy, she would be happy too.Initially it was hard to think of  or see him with someone else but when he finally did see him with Sakura the joy on his face was indescribable.

She'd talked with Sakura too and she'd explained everything to her about her own feelings.

"I suppose there are some things in the world that don't go the way we wish them to." Hinata said to herself as she walked among the trees.

She walked until she came to a particular tree. This was an old tree. They used to race there as children.

Rubbing her hands against the bark she could see the nicks in the tree as well as the times they'd carved.The competition had been fierce between Naruto and Kiba who was the fastest in their class. Naruto never stopped trying to beat Kiba's time however, until finally he did. She loved that persistence. It had pushed her so many times when she'd felt like giving up.

She smiled and looked at the times, expecting to see Naruto's name at the time. Instead she saw.

"Kiba kun?"

"I came back to regain my title." Kiba suddenly appeared from one of the trees "Couldn't have Naruto outdoing me." he said with a proud smile on his face, as he touched his nose.

"Kiba. What are you doing here?" she asked.

"I come here occassionally to ensure that my record is still standing." he told her. "I- I also came because I saw you heading this way."

"Me? Is everything ok?"

"Hinata." he began "Remember when we were young and I was always teasing you about Naruto?"

A blush rose in Hinata's cheek and she nodded.

"That was funny. The way you would follow him around and see only him." He looked at her "I know I used to tease you and I don't know exactly when it happened but I started wishing you would see me too."

Hinata's eyes widened.

"Kiba.."

"Hinata." his voice was sincere. "I have watched over you ever since we were young and I have come to cherish you alot.I know your heart might not be ready to accept my feelings right now but I hope one day they will."

Hinata was stunned silent.

She and Kiba had been on the same team since they were children. They'd gone on many missions together and trusted each other with their lives. Being on the same team, he was one of the first people to figure out her feelings for Naruto and while it may have been a poorly kepy secret due to her own behaviour, Kiba always treated her feelings with the utmost respect.

How funny life was. Kiba was her Hinata. While she was looking at Naruto, he was looking at her. She knew how he must have felt because she'd been in his shoes.

After a few minutes he turned to walk away.

"Kiba." Hinata called after him "Thank you." she said with a smile.

He smiled back at her and for the first time between them, that smile meant that something more could come to be.