Everybody's Hero

Alternative to the Last

A gentle breeze wafted through the air and the leaves danced happily.The rays of the sun illuminated all it touched, bringing warmth but even moreso, stood like a symbol of hope.

He stretched his hands above his head before putting both on his hips, the brightness of his smile rivalling the sun.

The town was busy, but not in a frantic way. In the last few years since the Fourth Great Ninja War, the town's population had grown quite a bit, even now they were busy with expanding.

The growling of his stomach was a clear reminder of where he intended to make his first stop for the day.

Without a second thought, he stuck his hands into his pocket and began making his way to Ichiraku. The very thought of the ramen titillated him completely.

"Good Morning Naruto!"

"Good to see you Naruto!"

"Naruto senpaiiii!"

The townspeople greeted him as he made his way by them as he walked.

It was always that way now. It began the day he defeated Pain.For the first time he felt what it was like not to be looked at with those eyes. The ones that were filled with scorn and indifference, as though his very existence made them uneasy.

They started calling him a 'hero.' It was funny to hear. Since he was little he was an orphan that people hardly paid attention to. He can admit now that most of the things he did was to get attention, even if it was the wrong kind. He just wanted them to see him.

Now he couldn't hide if he wanted to.

His eyes widened when he got to Ichiraku's.

"Why are there so many people? Is something going on?" he wondered to himself.

He was barely done forming his thoughts when the throng turned in his direction.

"There he is!"

The crowd shrieked before descending swiftly, hardly giving him space to maneuver his body.

"Heh?"

"Naruto. I'm so happy you came."

"Let's have some ramen"

"Sit with me"

"No. Sit with me."

They clamoured.

His blue eyes became as big as saucers.

On the battlefield he could act instinctively but this was on another level.

"Move aside! Move aside!" he heard a familiar voice breaking through the crowd in a lazy drawl.

"Shikamaru!" relief was evident in his voice at the sight of his friend that had burrowed through.

"Causing all this ruckus in the morning, what a drag."

"I only wanted to eat some Ramen, you know" he scratched his head with a sheepish smile.

Shikamaru clicked his tongue.

"Who would have imagined your popularity would be something to contend with in the village." he smirked. "Let's go."

The crowd parted and allowed them to walk undisturbed into the building.

Naruto was grateful Shikamaru had arrived.

"Ahh Naruto!" Teuchi greeted him with a smile when he saw him . "What will it be for my best customer today?"

Naruto grinned widely as he and Shikamaru took two seats available at the counter.

"Miso Chashu Pork Ramen with extra toppings!"

Shikamaru shook his head.

"Oy oy!" Shikamaru objected "Isn't it too early for you to be eating that kinda stuff?"

Naruto smiled easily. "It's never too early for Ramen." he replied proudly.

"Tch. You're something else."

"By the way Shikamaru. Shouldn't you be with Kakashi sensei?"

"I was on my way to Lord Sixth's when I saw the crowd." Shikamaru admitted "These days, usually where I find a crowd, I know it has something to do with you."

Naruto scratched his head.

"It's strange isn't it."

"Well you're the village hero----no. The saviour of the ninja world.It would be strange if people didn't respond to you like this." Shikamaru looked at him "You've always had a way of pulling people to you"

He looked at Shikamaru, his eyes filled with wonder.

"Really?"

Shikamaru was spared from responding by Teuchi returning with their order.

His eyes glazed over with happiness and his smile widened at the bowl set before him.

"Thank you for the food!" he said happily before he dug right in.

"This guy" Shikamaru thought to himself "Still so carefree after everything he's been through." He looked around the room. This was all because of him. People flocked wherever he was.They wanted to see him.To be with him. He was no different.Many years ago he realized that he would become a very important person in this world. He was the first person he'd met that made him want to follow them.That's why he had to do his best now.So that when the time came, he could repay him well.

"Tch. What a drag" he said under his breath as he caught himself musing. He wasn't one for this kind of thing but Naruto had this unexplainable effect on him.

"Hmm. Did you say something?" Naruto asked, his mouth packed with noodles.

Shikamaru laughed inspite of himself at the sight of his friend.

"What?" Naruto asked, more clueless than ever.

"Nevermind." Shikamaru told him. "I've got to get going soon. I have to meet with Lord Sixth to give a report."

"Is everything alright?" Naruto asked after he drank the last of his ramen from the bowl and set it down on the counter.

"Yeah."

"Ok!" he replied very enthusiastically. He got up and took out his frog purse to pay.

"It's on us." Teuchi told him.

"Really?" His face lit up " Thank you!" he replied.

Over his shoulder, Shikamaru could see two girls immediately migrate to the seats they had just occupied.They squealed and giggled with blushes as one of them took the now empty ramen bowl into her hands and brought it to her chest.

"Good grief" Shikamaru thought to himself as they walked out side by side, hands in their pockets.

Outside the sun greeted them with warm rays on their faces.

"I've got to get going.Will you be okay?" Shikamaru asked. "You're way too nice for your own good."

He laughed, throwing his head back.

"I'll be fine you know."

"Ok. See you." he waved.

Naruto waved back before heading in the opposite direction.

Shikamaru watched him go for a few seconds, greeting passersby as he went.

"That guy is something else isn't he dad?" he said with a smirk as he looked up to the blue sky.

As if on cue a gentle wind blew by, he could hear the leaves dancing. They were happy.