Playlist 01 - 00 (By My Side)

Playlist
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jeon Heejin - Kim Hyunjin - Park Chaewon

 

 

“Why is it so hard to take off this helmet?” Chaewon stomped her feet in frustration after failing to open the helmet cover, expressing her displeasure that her fingers couldn't open the helmet lock. “I told you I didn't have to lock it, so why did you-?”

Chaewon couldn't finish her words because Hyunjin's hand had already moved to pull the helmet cover over the girl's face.

“YAH! KIM HYUNJIN!”

Chaewon shrieked angrily, but Hyunjin's hand grabbed her waist and drew her closer. Her helmet cover reopened in the next split second and Chaewon snorted when she noticed Hyunjin's annoying smirk. But before she could scold her, Hyunjin's lips landed a kiss on hers.

“Heejin will be furious if I let you ride a motorcycle without locking your helmet, Babe.” Hyunjin extended her hand to help Chaewon remove her helmet.

“But she isn't here!” Chaewon is stubborn, but Hyunjin is already used to the behavior.

“However, I'm here, Chae.” Hyunjin smiled softly and caressed Chaewon's waist. “I'm not going to let you sit behind me wearing an unlocked helmet. Don't you realize how dangerous it is to drive on the road? After all, you're just a passenger. If an accident happens, the passenger is always more injured than the driver.”

“But I trust you, and I know you won't hurt me.” When Hyunjin cupped Chaewon's cheek, she leaned her head in Hyunjin's palm. “See! This helmet ruined my hairdo!”

“You're stunning even in your pajamas and bed hair, Babe.” Hyunjin smoothed Chaewon's hair before tightly hugging her. “I value your faith in me. Unfortunately, I don't have faith in other riders. They could have been careless and caused me to inadvertently harm you. I will not forgive myself if something bad happens to you again.”

“It isn't your fault. It was my fault that I was careless, and-”

“Sssshhhh…” Hyunjin shook her head. “Remember how we agreed it was our fault?”

Chaewon gave a nod.

“Please come in. If you stay here too long, you'll be late.” Hyunjin patted the back of Chaewon's hand, which she was holding. “I'll pick you up this afternoon. We'll have dinner with Heejin.”

Chaewon nodded and made her way to the lobby. Before Hyunjin returned to her motorbike, she waved cutely at Hyunjin.

“I thought you only date people who drive cars.”

Chaewon jumped as she approached the lobby door. She fixed her posture and met her gaze on the tall girl standing next to her. Chaewon recognized her mentor's teasing smile and a cup of iced Americano in her hand as her mentor's routine every morning.

“Why? Do you think I'm the stereotypical spoiled brat who is only picked up by car? I have my standards, of course, but I don't think I'm that low. I got what I've deserved.” Chaewon took a step towards the escalator with her mentor trying to keep up with her.

“Hmm... sort of. You've given me the Princess vibe since the first day.” The older girl replied honestly. “This is the first time I've seen you arrive at the office on a motorcycle since you interned here. It's always the black SUV that comes with you.” She pressed the floor where they were working on the escalator before returning her gaze to her mentee.

“Heejin needed a car to go to a project site, so Hyunjin let her take the car and drove me with a motorbike.”

“Could you please tell me who Heejin and Hyunjin are?” The tall girl was confused by the explanation.

“It has nothing to do with you, Miss Ha.” Chaewon stuck out her tongue, making her mentor laugh.

“Was that girl who escorted you your lover? How does she treat you? She seems to be caring, and her loving gaze... She looks madly in love with you. How long have you been dating her, Chae?”

Chaewon took a deep breath after the older girl asked her a series of questions.

“Seriously, I know you're great at handling your cases. Your investigation is razor-sharp, and it always leaves your opponent speechless. In court, you also come across as an authoritative and charismatic lawyer. I respect your abilities and am grateful that you agreed to be my mentor. But not with your nosy attitude, Unnie. You know too much and are overly curious, which is annoying. You don't need to investigate my life because I am not your case. I am your mentee.”

The older girl giggled, amused by both her mentee's compliment and complaint.

“Chae, you are under my care. I'm referring to your internship program,” correct her with a wide smile. “You'll be here at least until next semester. I need to get to know you well to help you with your work. I'd like to hear how you're doing. I wish I could understand you better so you don't get stressed out while working with me.”

“You now sound like a part of fboys thrashing their underclassmen.”

“Hey, come on! I know you're lovely and intelligent, but you're not my type, Kiddo. I'm not interested in dating a girl who is nine years younger than me. I am not a Nanny!!”

Chaewon snorted and crossed her arms over her chest.

“Listen, my Dear Lawyer Ha Sooyoung.” Sooyoung tried hard not to smile when she saw Chaewon's behavior. “I have no desire to talk about my private life with you. In this setting workplace, our relationship is merely that of a mentor and a mentee.”

Sooyoung laughed at Chaewon's words. Even though Chaewon claimed their relationship was nothing more than a mentor-mentee one, Sooyoung knew that the younger girl felt comfortable with her. It is admirable how Chaewon shows her interest in the complicated cases that Sooyoung is working on. When Chaewon runs into problems, she does not hesitate to ask questions and seek Sooyoung's advice. Chaewon also doesn't seem afraid to speak up when Sooyoung asks for her opinion. Despite the fact that Chaewon's opinion contradicted Sooyoung's, the younger girl remained calm and confident in her discussion. Chaewon's open and direct demeanor contrasts with that of other mentees who keep their distance and avoid their mentors, and Sooyoung was extremely proud of her mentee's demeanor.

“I thought you and Hyeju were lovers all along,” Sooyoung mumbled, purposefully provoking Chaewon.

“Aren't you aware that Son Hyeju already has a girlfriend? I introduced Hyeju to her girlfriend.” Sooyoung chuckled as Chaewon proudly puffed out her chest.

“How would I know if Hyeju never brought her girlfriend to work? She is not like you.” Sooyoung raised one of her brows to tease Chaewon.

“Hyeju is extremely protective of her girlfriend. She couldn't bear the idea of the seniors in this place meeting her lover. Yerimie is as lovely and endearing as an idol.”

“Instead, you show off your girlfriend in the office every day.”

“Unnie, I didn't do it!! I don't like flaunting them because I know how easily they can make others fall in love with them. They're incredible!!” Chaewon let out a frustrated sigh. “However, they were stubborn and protective of me. I told them not to drop me off, but they didn't listen.”

“They?” Sooyoung leaned in closer to Chaewon, her eyes sparkling like a hungry hyena.

“When are you planning a business trip to Busan?” Chaewon did not answer the question and quickly changed the subject.

“The day after tomorrow.”

“Until?”

“Friday.” Sooyoung returned her mischievous smile, letting Chaewon know that her brilliant mind was at work on something. “Why do you ask? Will you flaunt your girlfriend at work when I'm not here?”

“Aaaarrrrgggghhh… You're insufferable, Ha Sooyoung!!” Chaewon snorted as she exited the escalator after hearing Sooyoung laugh at her behavior.

“Collage life, duh.” Sooyoung smiled as she turned to face Chaewon, who was walking away. But before she knew it, she was frowning. “Heejin? Hyunjin? They? Did she have two girlfriends at the same time?”

Sooyoung exclaimed, realizing something she hadn't considered. She smiled as another ridiculous thought occurred to her. “Yah! Park Chaewon! I'll wait for you in my office. Bring along all of the cases you're working on. Now!!”

 

***

 

Heejin looked at Chaewon with longing eyes while listening to her girl talk about her mentor. For a brief moment, she forgot about the people around them who spoke louder. Chaewon's tiny voice was all she could hear. She even ignored Hyunjin's mocking stare when she noticed how much she resembled a devotee. She can't help, Park Chaewon looks adorable, and it's been a long time since she let herself enjoy Chaewon's rambling.

“She didn't stop teasing me after she saw Hyunjin drop me off. She keeps asking about you like a parent inspecting her child's lover.” Chaewon grumbled but didn't refuse when Hyunjin shoved a piece of meat into .

“She seems sincere and cares about you, Baby.” Heejin reached out a hand to wipe the remaining sauce from Chaewon's lips. “Did she give you a lot of work?”

“Not at all.” Chaewon shook her head before nudging Hyunjin's hand. “When will you going to start eating properly if you keep grilling the meat for us?” She scolded Hyunjin while reaching out to feed her.

“You and Heejin can feed me,” Hyunjin replied, opening as Heejin fed her. “Heejin can do anything with food, except grill meat. And you, I will never let you get too close to the fire.”

In front of her, Heejin nodded in agreement with Hyunjin's words.

“So, how does Ha Sooyoung fare as a mentor? Is she a dementor, as many articles expose? Swallowing the happiness of the criminals.” Heejin laughed, recalling an article she read about Chaewon's mentor. Even if she didn't say it out loud, finding out who Chaewon's mentor was was the first thing she and

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter