Chapter Five

The Moneylender

Sims says: Hello! I am doing my best to update this series everyday. As usual, any mistakes found in here is unintentional and should be overlooked. Other than that, enjoy! 

 

 

 

 

‘Jae-Jae!’ I heard a familiar voice call out to me.

 

Only one person calls me that, and it’s my very much elder sister, Jaehwa.

 

‘Hey, sis, what are you doing on campus?’ I stood up from the canteen’s bench and went to hug her.

 

Jaehwa was married and was a mother to two beautiful daughters. Like me, she was smart enough not want to pursue our parents’ horrible lifestyle. She was taller than me, even more so, now that she was wearing those crazily high 6-inch heels from Christian Louboutin. She was fortunate enough to have been talent scouted at the delicate age of 10 and had been modeling since then. She’s now a modeling coach based in New York because her husband’s an American born and living there.

 

I was surprised that she was in Seoul and that was standing right in front of me now.

 

‘I heard Mom’s in the hospital and she’s been in a coma for a month now,’ she dragged me aside from the 3 Ys: Yoochun, Yunho and Yesung, so they couldn’t overhear our conversation.

 

‘And when did you hear of the news?’ I asked.

 

‘Only 2 days ago. I applied for leave and came here as fast as I could,’ Jaehwa was definitely pissed, she was finger combing her hair, an evergreen tell tale sign perfectly illustrating her anger.

 

‘Who told you?’ I asked again.

 

‘Dad, and why didn’t you tell me earlier?’ Jaehwa jabbed at finger painfully on my left shoulder.

 

‘Mom’s pretty much insignificant in our lives and besides, leaving her like that would allow her to live a few years more. Phone calls to New York are expensive, and I’m pretty short in cash flow right now,’ which was true as I was currently saving as much as possible to add into the million dollar ‘fundraising’.

 

‘Jae-Jae, Dad isn’t giving you money anymore?’ my sister immediately opened her Chanel purse, fished out a giant Chanel pouch and from it, finally pulling out her Chanel wallet.

 

I raised my eyebrows at this.

 

‘How much do you need?’ Jaehwa looked straight into my eyes, pain clearly shown in them.

 

Because of our giant 18 year (if you do quick math of multiplying my age by two, it gives you her current age: 36), she is more of a motherly figure to me than a sister. How I wish she never left for New York when she married at 27.

 

‘I need 900k. And I can only pay you back in about 20 years later.’

 

My sister was quite well off, but since she had just opened another modeling school, I knew she wouldn’t have enough to give me, and be paid back 20 years later.

 

‘Jae-Jae! What did you do!? Why do you need 900k!?’ My sister shook me violently and I heard one of the Ys at the back let out a cry in shock.

 

I quickly explained the deal and the money loaning thing.

 

‘Jae-Jae, I’m sorry dear, but I can only give you 100k at most. Taking out so much at a time will only alarm my husband, and I don’t want him suspecting and go digging out what’s going on with our family back here in Seoul,’ Jaehwa had tears in her eyes.

 

‘Thanks a lot, sis,’ I hugged her and I felt her hug back.

 

‘About mom…I think she has to go,’ she released me from her embrace.

 

‘You mean, voluntary death? To stop her suffering?’ I stared wide-eyed.

 

‘It’s more of like to stop her permanently from her drug addiction. The doctors already know she’s an addict.’

 

‘Oh dear lilies, I’ll have to do some spring cleaning at home,’ I groaned, things just keep adding onto my to-do list.

 

 

 

 

 

‘Guys, this might be the last day we’re friends and I would like to say, it’s been really great knowing you for the past 3 months. The 200k that I have demanded from both of you will serve as your promise to not let any of what I’m about to reveal out of the bag. The following in which I am about to tell you is of utmost importance and might kill our friendship and hence, the opening sentence of this speech,’ I looked deathly pale, unable to make eye contact with Yunho and Yesung.

 

‘My parents are addicts and I had been the worst son to allow this to happen for as long as I have lived. I can never find the heart to send them away because it’s just wrong to bite the hand that feeds, or in my case, gives allowances and a shelter.

 

‘I need your help because my mother has been sent into the hospital and is in a coma right now, and the doctors know she’s a druggie. It’s only a matter of time before the narcotics bust my home and arrests my Dad and I.

 

‘I can’t hire housekeepers because of the stuff in my house - I can’t afford to risk trusting strangers. So now, I have a not-so-humble request.

 

‘Can you guys help me to clean up my house and get rid of all the evidence?’