she’s still happy

enchanted
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

enjoy.

-

Karina Yoo was born into a wealthy family. She had her life set from the moment she took her first breath. She had a loving mom and dad and an older sister that always took care of her.

They were a happy family.

Karina doesn’t remember the exact moment things changed. She guesses it started when her father left them. She didn’t know why he did that at first, she just missed her dad. Then she learned he had started another family with some woman.

She was just a child. A six year old kid who couldn’t understand why her mommy cried herself to sleep sometimes and why her older sister suddenly didn’t look happy, why neither of them smiled.

Karina is still thankful for her sister, though. While their mother drowned herself in work 24/7, Irene had made sure Karina could still have the closest to a happy childhood. It wasn’t until she was 11 that she started to see how everything changed.

Her mother was constantly absent and it was just her and Irene and the maids but they never lasted long. At the end of the day the only company Karina had was Irene. 

Then she had to go to college and Karina spent most days alone. Unlike her, Irene moved out when she started college.

Up to this day Karina doesn’t know why she didn’t move out too. A part of her thinks it’s because she doesn’t want to leave her mom alone, even though she’s never home. And the other part thinks she’s just not ready, it’s more comfortable being home.

When Irene told them she was getting married, Karina knew that would be the end of them. She was happy for her sister, she had finally found someone that made her happy but marriage only meant that she’d see Irene during holidays or special occasions. It felt like she was abandoning her too.

Anyway, Karina still considers herself to be happy. She has money, she’s pretty and she knows people want her and she loves the attention. It’s the best part, all eyes on her whenever she walks around campus. It never gets old.

These days though, Karina loves the attention she gets from a certain cute wide eyed girl. Karina is no stupid. She knows the effect she has on people sometimes and she definitely doesn’t miss the way Winter blushes when she’s with her.

Karina lays down on her bed, clicking her tongue thinking about it. She likes to provoke a reaction from Winter. It makes her feel good.

She is adorable when she blushes and knowing that it’s because of her only feeds Karina’s ego.

She’s not quite sure why she’s putting extra effort into talking to this girl, though. She doesn’t usually take girls out to places but the fact that Winter defended her when she didn’t have to made Karina feel thankful and nice on the inside. Winter cared enough to help a stranger and Karina needed to pay her back.

That’s why she booked a very special and fancy dinner at another restaurant, one that doesn’t have s as their staff. It’s going to be better and they’ll succeed this time.

She feels proud of herself. She might not do this often but her plans are always the best. Winter is going to love that place.

-

Karina clears when she stops in front of Winter and her friend. Her lips pull upwards when the younger girl makes eye contact with her.

“Hey”, she greets, switching her eyes between both girls.

“Well, I was on my way to class so I’ll leave you two alone”, Ningning takes a step back and once she’s out of Karina’s sight, she gives Winter a thumbs up, blowing her a kiss. “Good to see you, unnie!”

Karina chuckles at the informal speech of the younger but brushes it off. She focuses her attention back to the girl standing in front of her.

Now that they’re alone, she doesn’t even know why she came. She just wanted to see her, she thinks. Not sure.

Winter looks particularly pretty today. She’s just wearing sweatpants and a hoodie but she styled her hair cutely this time and she did her makeup differently.

“These are cute. You look like pucca”, Karina reaches out to touch one of the girl’s space buns.

Winter giggles, hiding her laugh behind her hand. “You think so?”

“Yeah, it’s adorable”, Karina laughs too.

Both girls stay in silence, shifting awkwardly for a few moments.

“Do you have class now?” Karina clears .

“It got canceled a few minutes ago, actually”.

Karina hums, nodding. “Do you want to sit down somewhere and talk? I don’t have class either”, she smoothly lies. She’s supposed to be on her way to class but somehow she ended up here.

Winter agrees right away. What kind of question is that? She would say yes to anything Karina asks.

“Cool, let’s go”, Karina extends her hand and waits for Winter to take it.

The younger blushes but she takes Karina’s hand in the end, albeit rather shyly.

As they walk through campus, Winter feels some people’s eyes on them and it makes her feel embarrassed and self conscious. She hides a little behind Karina and is glad that the older doesn’t ask what she’s doing.

It just that it doesn’t help that Karina intertwined their fingers. Now Winter is feeling all funny in her stomach.

“How’s your day been?” Karina asks when she finds them an empty table right by a tree.

Winter feels saddened when Karina lets go of her hand, missing the sensation already. Her skin is soft and warm.

“Boring, you know. As usual”, she answers, seeing Karina rummaging through her backpack.

“Yeah tell me that. I can’t wait to go home”, she finally takes something out and Winter laughs seeing it’s just a tangerine. “You want some?”

“No, thank you. I ate with Ningning not long ago”, she finds it cute the way Karina starts peeling it and her heart makes a whole backflip in her chest when she sees again the way she scrunches up her nose at the effort. It has to be the cutest habit she’s seen.

“Right, Ningning. What’s her deal with Chenle, by the way? My friend Giselle had the biggest crush on her and was devastated when she found out about that. Honestly, I wish I knew who your friend was when Giselle told me so that way I could’ve met you before”, Winter might as well die right there. How can Karina say things like this just like t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter