Performance

Now that I’ve fallen, will you see me?
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

The day finally arrives. New Year’s. It’s more nerve-racking than Kibum had imagined. Their performance is in the afternoon, still a few hours away as he’s getting his make-up done in line with their concept. 

 

Everything from their choreography, music, and overall look is inspired by the mythological tale of Icarus and Daedalus— Taemin taking the role of the former and Kibum the latter. It’s ironic. Because in reality, Kibum feels as if he’s in Icarus' shoes. Foolishly chasing what he can’t have despite being aware it’ll be his downfall.

 

Their outfits are identical. A loose-fitting two-piece with Greek-inspired draping and light feathers for decorative purposes, all in the color grey to symbolize the balance of life and detachment of reality one infatuated with greed can experience. 

 

Kibum is impressed but not surprised at Taemin’s creative mind that brought the idea to the table in the first place. In conjunction with his eye for detail, it’s what made him an outstanding performer moreover being a talented dancer. 

 

Through the large mirror on the wall, Kibum can’t help but gaze at his friend who is seated not far to his left. His make-up is almost done. Like Kibum, his face has a natural base with light contouring. The emphasis lies on his eyes which are lined in a mix of smokey black and brown eye-shadow, which seems to make them dangerously alluring. It goes magnificently with his silver-dyed hair. Kibum is sporting the same shade, but he can’t help but admire the way it looks on his friend more. 

 

“You okay, hyung?”

 

“Yeah.” Ultimately, Kibum is forced to snap back to reality and form a forced smile. “Just nervous about the response, you know.” 

 

“Me too,” Taemin admits. “Let’s just perform as if it’s just me and you, you know, like in the practice room.” 

 

“Yeah.” Kibum agrees with an uncertain nod. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

As an experienced— and notably confident— performer, uneasiness, fright, or nerves are all unfamiliar ground. But the moment they take their position in the center of the stage and his eyes meet Taemin’s captivating ones— Kibum thinks he’s never experienced a more nerve-racking moment in his life.

 

There’s something about performing in front of a crowd that offers an endless amount of adrenaline. On a normal occasion, it would be something he indulged in. But this isn’t like any other occasion. 

 

At the same moment, the music starts playing and they set off their meticulously choreographed routine, the ambiance that enwraps them both makes the room feel so utterly vacant. As if it’s just the two of them frozen in time. 

 

Every melancholy note of their back-track is bouncing off the walls, like a beautiful and sad echo, and emphasizes the somber aspects of their act. 

 

Everything runs smoothly, all the way to their climatic lift, where Kibum— like they’ve practiced relentlessly— pushes Taemin high into the air from behind. Taemin, in turn, performs a T-pose with his arms, as one leg bends into the air gracefully, before they land in a careful plié and continue. 

 

All of it lasts for just a couple of minutes. Towards the end, they emb

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter