Conflicting Feelings

Red String

Suryeon can't sleep that night. Aside from the fact that it is not her room, she's also worried about Logan if he'll be able to rest well in Sec Hong's room. As she lies down, she finds his bed so comfortable. The pillow and blanket with his manly scent makes her remember the strong arms that hugged and protected her.

"Suryeon what are you even thinking! Stop it!" she scolded herself. "While it's still early, you should start fighting whatever it is that you're feeling. Hwaiting!"

And with that, she forced herself to sleep.

The next morning, everyone is awake early. It seems like they weren't able to sleep well especially Sec Hong and Logan who shared the same room. The dark circles around their eyes tells it so. Nina noticed it but she was not aware that Logan let Suryeon sleep in his room last night.

"Oppa, why you look so restless? Were you not able to sleep well?" Nina asked.

"Ah, it's kinda hard to share room with someone who snores so loudly" Logan glared at Sec Hong.

"Coming from someone who kicked me out from the bed. My hips are still hurting until now." Sec Hong rebutted.

"Wait, you sleep in Sec Hong's room? Why?"

"Ah, I let Suryeon sleep in my room. I can't let her sleep in the sofa."

"Mwo! Why didn't you let me sleep there instead. I'm jealous oppa!"

"How can I? You chose to sleep in her room, right?" Logan answered a bit annoyed.

"But still..."

"We can switch rooms if you like" Suryeon said. She heard their conversation from the kitchen.

"Really unnie?"

"Yes, you can sleep in his room starting tonight"

"Thanks unnie! You're the best!"

Logan's a bit surprised on how Nina is reacting since she came. Yes, she's sweet and clingy but not to this extent. He's wondering why the sudden changes. Also, he's confused with Suryeon. She's surrendering to whatever Nina wants.

"What's wrong with them?" he sighed.

"Nina, would you like to come to the restaurant or are you just staying here?" Halmeoni asked.

"I would like to join you in the restaurant and help in the work there. I could be Suryeon unnie's assistant." Nina said with a smile.

"Is that okay with you, Suryeon?" Halmeoni asked.

"Yes halmeoni. It would be a great help."

"Okay, let's go now to the restaurant."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

At the restaurant...

"Unnie, come here for a second" Yoonhee drags Suryeon away from Nina.

"Why is that girl here with us in the kitchen?" Yoonhee quietly asked.

"Ah, she volunteers to be my assistant, she'll help us with food preparation." Suryeon answered.

"I don't think she will be of help" Yoonhee said in irritation.

"Haha dongsaeng c'mon don't be rude. Give her a chance. After all, she'll be part of their family, so we really have to deal with her"

"Hmm, I don't think Logan likes her"

"You think?" Nina interrupted their secret conversation.

Suryeon and Yoonhee was surprised.

"I'm sorry Nina she doesn't mean that way." Suryeon apologized.

"Me and Logan grew up together. We've been through with so many things. We're inseparable and we promise to be with each other forever." Nina said in defense. "And that is why, I'll do everything for him to like me."

Suryeon felt a pang in her heart for Nina. Like her, she used to be someone wanting attention and craving for love.

"Don't worry, I'm sure he likes you and he will keep his promise to you." Suryeon assured her.

Nina smiled. "And because of that, I should learn how to cook. Oppa said he likes someone good at cooking. So unnie please teach me." 

"Arraseo, let's start" 

"I'm outta here" Yoonhee went outside the kitchen because she can't seem to take what she's hearing from Suryeon.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The day went by smoothly for everyone except Logan. He's sensing that Suryeon is like avoiding him. She refused every help he offered her which is so unlikely. Even going to the market, she insists that Yoonhee will accompany her.

"I think I know what she's doing" Logan sighed.

Meanwhile, on the way to the market...

"Suryeon unnie, I know what you're doing and it's not right"

"Wae? What is not right?"

"You've been avoiding Logan all day. Is it because of Nina? I told you he doesn't like her. She's just like a younger sister to him I can sense that."

"It's no difference. I'm also just like a sister to him, an older one."

"No unnie. Logan likes you. It's so obvious. The way he treats you is so special. I know you can feel it too."

"Yoonhee" Suryeon sighed. "Logan's stay here in Pohang is temporary. His life is in Seoul. He will surely go back to the place and people where he first belong. He has known me for weeks only, but he knows Nina for years. Maybe he was just distracted or bored. Also, I'm not an ordinary woman, I have a... a troubled past and I... I don't want to drag any person to it. Logan deserves someone better than me."

"Unnie, you deserve to be loved so don't say that. Also, past is past already. We should now live in the present and look forward to the future."

"If only that is easy dongsaeng" Suryeon looked at her with sad eyes.

"Come, let me give you a hug unnie" Yoonhee hugged her tightly.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The restaurant is now closed, and they are ready to go home. Before that, Logan secretly requested Sec Hong to drive so that he can seat at the back with Suryeon. As they went into the jeep, Suryeon was surprised seeing Logan siting next to him. Nina was also surprised and kind of overthinking.

"Ahm, I've asked Sec Hong to drive because I'm not feeling well" Logan said as an excuse.

"Omo oppa what happened? I'll take care of you when we get home arraseo?" Nina said with exaggerated concern. 

Suryeon also looks at Logan with concern but she knows she can't express it and she shouldn't. 

"Anniyo, I just need to rest here, and I'll be okay. Let's go now, Sec Hong"

Halmeoni just smiled at her grandson's tactics. She knows him too well.

On their way home, Suryeon is so sleepy as she couldn't sleep last night. She's trying to fight her drowsiness, but her body doesn't cooperate. Logan seeing her in that state finds her even cuter.

"Noona is so cute" he smiled while looking at her.

She really can't control it any longer and her head falls on Logan's shoulder. He was surprised at first but gently shifted his position so that she'll be more comfortable.

"Even her hair is pretty" he thought "and it smells so nice like flowers in the garden"

And not being able to control himself, he supported her head with his hand while gently her hair and whispered, "Sleep well noona".

But he was not aware that Nina saw everything in the rear-view mirror.

They arrived in halmeoni's house and Nina immediately went out saying that she badly needs to go to the bathroom. Suryeon is still asleep in Logan's shoulders. He's wondering if he'll wake her up or just carry her. But because of Sec Hong's clumsiness, he shut the door a little bit strong which woke up Suryeon. As she opened her eyes, she was surprised to see their position.

"Omo did I just sleep in your shoulders Logan? I'm so sorry! I didn't mean to. Did Nina..."

"It's okay noona. It's not a problem. Nina? Wae? What about her?"

"Oh nothing. Let's just go inside. I'm so sorry again, Logan"

As they went inside, Nina is on Logan's room already. She just made an excuse a while ago of going to the bathroom because it's breaking her heart to see how Logan cares so much for another woman that is not her.

"Suryeon, I thought you were my unnie but you're taking away Logan from me. I won't let that happen. I'll make sure he's going home to Seoul with me. I'm just taking back what is originally mine." Nina said to herself crying.