Start of Something

Red String

Flashback

It's a rainy evening. Suryeon doesn't know where her feet are bringing her. She just knows that she needs to run to a far away place.

"You must find her. She'll pay for what she did to my son." says the old man in his office.

Suryeon is all tired and wet not only from the rain but from her own tears. "I can't go back but I have no place to go. What will happen to me now?" she softly cries.

From a distance, an old lady saw her and came to her rescue.

End of Flashback

"Suryeon-ah, this is my grandson Logan and his secretary Mr. Hong. They really love your cooking."

"Yes! It's so delicious that I almost forgot my name!" Sec Hong confirmed.

Suryeon blushed. It always feels different to her whenever someone compliments her cooking.

"Thank you for appreciating it" Suryeon replied shyly.

Halmeoni noticed Logan who is just staring at Suryeon and not saying anything.

"Seems someone is whipped" Halmeoni thinks

"Hey Logan. Don't just stare at her say something"

Logan snapped out of his thoughts upon hearing what halmeoni said.

"I'm not staring (clears throat). Hmm yah the food is good, tasty."

"Thank you, Mr. Lee" Suryeon smiled at him.

Logan's heart skip a beat seeing her beautiful smile but he's sensing there's something behind it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

After they finished eating, halmeoni gathered all the staffs to formally introduce his grandson and to explain what will happen in the succeeding days.

"Everyone, meet my grandson Logan. He'll be staying with us starting today and will help out in this restaurant"

"Hello Logan. Welcome!" they all greeted him.

"Thank you" Logan responded. "So, you only have 4 staffs halmeoni. I think you should add more since the business is growing"

Halmeoni chuckled. "Well now I have 6 already".

Logan still confused with her grandma's answer suddenly realized that she was talking about them.

"Oh no halmeoni. You're mistaken. Me as a staff that's not going to happen."

"Oh really? Okay then go back to Seoul. I can hire other people."

"You know I can't do that. Dad will kill me."

"Then do as I say. Yoonchul, Junki, help them get dressed and teach them how to do things. You two will start today"

"Today???" Logan and Sec Hong surprisingly said.

"Did I say tomorrow? No right? So, it's today. Go time is precious."

"Your grandma is a terror. I want to go home already." Sec Hong cried to his master Logan.

"Ssssh keep your voice low. I'm telling you, if she hears you, you're dead meat."

"Let's go Sir Logan" Yoonchul said.

"Okay as if I have a choice. This is really a terror." Logan mumbles while following Yoonchul.

Suryeon just stares at them and didn't even notice that she's smiling already until Yoonhee told her.

"Unnie, why are you smiling?"

"Me smiling? Of course not. Why would I?"

"I just saw you smiling. Don't be shy tell me. You like him?"

"What?! No! I just find them cute like little kids being scolded by halmeoni"

"Arraseo arraseo"

"Come let's go now to the kitchen. Customers are already arriving."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It was indeed a busy day. Many customers arrived at the restaurant which is mainly because of Suryeon's new dishes. Logan and Sec Hong who are first timers in this kind of job were so exhausted. They can no longer count how many times halmeoni scolded them this day.

"Sir, let's go home I can't do this anymore" Sec Hong pleaded almost crying.

"We go home and both of us will no longer have work" Logan replied.

"Okay let's call it a day" Halmeoni said.

All are excited to go home especially Yoonhee and Yoonchul who is celebrating their monthsary.

"Unnie, I won't be able to walk home with you tonight cause you know..." Yoonhee can't finish her sentence because she's still not used to talking about her newly blossomed relationship.

"Yah I know I know and it's okay. You enjoy the night." Suryeon smiles at her dongsaeng. She's really happy seeing her inlove.

"Should I tell Junki to walk you home instead?"

"No! I'll go home with halmeoni don't worry."

"Okay. Be safe and see you tomorrow" Yoonhee bids her goodbye.

Suryeon is looking for halmeoni so they can go home together but she cannot find her. She's wondering where she went when suddenly she bumps to Logan.

"Oh I'm sorry! I did not happen to see you"

"It's okay. You're looking for grandma?"

"Ahm yes. Did you see her?"

"She said she'll go ahead to see her friend and asked me to go home with you instead if it's okay. I actually can't remember the way to grandma's house since it's been years already since I went here."

"Oh okay" Suryeon was hesitant because she's still not comfortable with men since the incident happened. But she trusts halmeoni and she knows she'll not put her into danger. Also, Logan seems nice she thinks to herself.

As they went outside, rain started pouring. Suryeon doesn't like rain at all especially during the night. It brings back haunting memories that she wants to forget. She suddenly stops and her body is trembling. Thankfully Logan notices it.

"Suryeon-ssi, are you okay?"

"Ah ye-yes I am" she stuttered

Logan being a gentleman thought she was just cold, so he went into his jeep and get his jacket.

"Here you can wear this" he handed her his jacket

Suryeon was shocked and even though she's not cold, she was warmed with his actions.

"Thank you" she smiled at him

Logan's heart melt again upon seeing her smile.

"What am I feeling? This is crazy!" he shakes it off.

"C'mon let's go before it rains hard" Sec Hong nagged.

They went to the jeep and Logan can't help but open the door for Suryeon. He doesn't understand why he's doing it for her, a woman she just met this morning. Sec Hong was even shocked seeing his master being soft to someone.

"Thank you again" Suryeon said.

"Please don't smile" Logan thinks to himself but Suryeon did and his heart just melted for the third time this day.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The short travel going to grandma's house was quiet. Suryeon in the passenger seat just staring straight at the road while Sec Hong out of tiredness is sleeping at the back. Logan is focused on his driving but in his peripheral vision, he's seeing that Suryeon is still somehow trembling. He tries to ignore it but cannot and he still can't believe himself for being concerned with a girl. He doesn't know what's happening to her but all he knows is that he needs to calm her so he's thinking of ways on how to do it.

"Should I talk to her? But what will be our topic? Nah it's awkward" he thought.

Suddenly, he remembered his piano recording on his phone, the one that also used to calm him for his panic attacks.

"Ok let me try this" he played the recording.

Upon hearing the sound, Suryeon snapped from her deep thoughts. The sound was so peaceful that it calms her down. Both didn't talk but knew their hearts are beating on the same rhythm with the music.