Twisted Knots - Chapter 9

Twisted Knots

 

Jinki opened his eyes, awakened by multiple voices. Or so he thought.

How strange.

But who else could they be? Who else was in the house except Kibum and his ahjusshi?

And where was Kibum anyway?

That was when last night’s events came flooding back. Coming back from soccer training, with Kibum nowhere to be found. Kibum comes back from having seen his parents. Kibum’s anger…

Then Jinki remembered that he went to bed with Kibum still mad at him.

Umma….appa…

Wracked with guilt once more, Jinki sat up in bed and swung his legs over the covers, setting them on the soft carpeted ground. He will talk to Kibum and apologise to him for how he has been behaving.

And perhaps, it was time to face his parents himself.

Something he should have done long ago.

 

****

After washing up and changing into a fresh set of clothes, Jinki stepped out of the bedroom, ruffling his still-wet hair with his head bent and stifling a yawn with much difficulty.

Then he felt a strange atmosphere around him and looked up.

There, in the Kims’ living room , sat his parents, Kibum next to his mother and Kibum’s ahjusshi on a separate armchair, talking to his parents.

Jinki stood frozen on the spot for what felt like an eternity, before his mother stood up, came towards him and pulled him into a tight hug.

Her touch felt warm, accepting and loving, and it was so intense that Jinki felt tears burning at the edges of his eyes.

“Jinki…..darling…,” she whispered.

Jinki swallowed hard, and looked down, still afraid to look his mother in the eye. “I’m sorry umma. I’ve been childish and selfish. I’ve let you down.”

Mrs Lee put her hand on his chin and tilted his head up, forcing him to look into her eyes.

“Silly boy. We love you. No matter what, you’re still our precious son. Nothing will change that. “

The guilt already in Jinki intensified at her words.

That was when Jinki realized that his father had also walked over, and stood by his mother’s side. His eyes looked cold, hard and expressionless, and Jinki closed his eyes, expecting his father to hit him. He was prepared. After all, he felt that he truly deserved it.

Out of nowhere, Jinki felt a pair of strong arms around him, hugging him so tightly he almost couldn’t breathe.

Ruffling his hair roughly, his father pulled back, looking at him, and said, “If you do this one more time I’ll make sure I hug you tighter till you go blue and gasp for breath.”

Jinki saw the corner of his father’s mouth twitch, then relax into a smile. That was when he lost it, bursting into tears like a little boy and throwing himself into his parents’ arms, sobbing hard. He felt a weak slap on his back, and looked up. To his utter surprise, he saw tears in his father’s eyes for the first time in his life.

“I let you off with this slap, but it will be much harder next time if you dare pull such a stunt on us again.”

This time Jinki made an odd choked noise, something in between a sob and a laugh, and hugged his mother first, then his father.

“Umma, appa, I’m sorry. I’m sorry for making you both worry. I promise not to do it again.”

This time, both his mother and father were smiling down at him.

Then Jinki looked past his parents, and saw Kibum and his ahjusshi standing a distance away, both smiling at the sweet scene in front of them.

Gently disentangling himself from his parents, Jinki went to Kibum’s ahjusshi and hugged him tight, much to his coach’s surprise.

“I’m sorry Coach. It was wrong of me to have not told you the truth.”

Eyes twinkling, Kibum’s ahjusshi let out of one of his booming laughs. “It’s okay, Jinki. Just do a few more physical conditioning trainings at the next training session, and consider yourself forgiven.”

Jinki grinned, and nodded. “Yes, Coach!”

“Pabo.”

The word was soft, a little exasperated, but laced with tenderness.

Jinki then turned his attention to Kibum, taking his hands in his own and pulling him closer to himself. When he was close enough, he gently brushed Kibum’s hair away and kissed him softly on his forehead, murmuring, “I’m sorry, baby.”

Pulling back, Jinki saw a light pink hue developing on Kibum’s cheeks, and cooed internally at how adorable his boyfriend looked.

Kibum reached up and slapped Jinki lightly on the side of his head, the wonderful pink blush steadily becoming a deep shade of red.

“I hate you.”

But Kibum was smiling, and Lee Jinki had never felt more complete in his life.

The couple’s private little moment was broken by Kibum’s ahjusshi, who cleared his throat loudly and said, “It doesn’t seem like you two need to have your breakfast anymore do you?”

And the little apartment was filled with laughter.

 

****

 

After a wonderful breakfast prepared mainly by Kibum (which earned a furiously blushing Kibum even more praise from an enraptured Mrs Lee), Jinki’s parents and Kibum’s ahjusshi left for work, with Jinki’s assurances that he would be home as soon as possible.

Once the door slammed shut behind them, Jinki turned to Kibum, leaned forward and gave him a soft kiss on his lips. “Just one more thing to do,” he whispered softly into Kibum’s mouth.

 

****

Hand in hand, Jinki and Kibum walked towards the soccer field of Jinki’s school.

Kim Jonghyun was dribbling a soccer ball around the empty field, and Jinki couldn’t help but to notice just how alone he looked amidst the vast empty field and the empty stands.

Kibum sat down at the stands and waited, while Jinki began walking Jonghyun, who still hadn’t seen them and was oblivious to the fact that he was not alone.

Breaking into a run, Jinki suddenly ran up to Jonghyun and snatched the ball away, dribbling quickly and shouting, “Come and get me!”

Jonghyun started, looking surprised for a moment, but then a mischievous grin slowly started to spread over his face, and he shouted back, “I won’t lose to you, you jerk!”

He then ran towards Jinki, but instead of fighting for the ball like Jinki had expected and like he was supposed to, he tackled Jinki to the ground.

Far off in the distance, Kibum smiled as he watched the two grown up boys, acting like little children, Jonghyun occasionally letting out girlish shrieks while they tackled each other.

 

****

 

Thirty minutes later, Jonghyun was sitting in a booth across from Kibum and Jinki. They were in a hamburger joint which Jinki and Jonghyun frequent. It was usually loud, crowded and chaotic, but now just had a few pockets of customers since it was way past lunchtime and was nowhere near dinnertime.

Jinki had been telling Jonghyun everything that had happened over the past few months, and Jonghyun did nothing but to nod and give the occasional “uh-huh” as a manner of acknowledgement.

Once Jinki was done, Jonghyun sat in silence for a moment, seemingly contemplative.

When he finally spoke up, he said, “You know, dude, I really respect and admire you for the balls you had to run away from home, but it’s a really stupid thing to do. Especially for your standards. Even somebody as stupid as me wouldn’t do something like that.”

Listening from Jinki’s side, Kibum really didn’t know if it was appropriate for him to laugh. Instead he held back his laughter, hooked his arm through Jinki’s and scooted closer to his boyfriend.

Jinki sighed. “I’m sorry Jong. I’ve been such an to you. And you’re right, it’s a stupid thing to do. I’ve been stupid.” Jinki looked so remorseful and so much like a kicked puppy Kibum wanted to reach out and squeeze those chubby cheeks.

Jonghyun looked incredulous for a moment, then punched Jinki hard on the shoulder. “Gawd, dude, no need to be so serious. I was just kidding. You’re lucky your dad and mum are understanding. If you were my kid I’d have kicked your first, then maybe I’ll consider taking you back.”

Jinki laughed at that, some of the old kick slowly coming back into him, “In the first place, Jjong, you will never have a child like me. It’s biologically impossible. Secondly, I already said I’m sorry so will you please lay low on the sarcasm?”

Jonghyun grinned. “From what you’ve been telling me it seems like your mum and dad were so accepting and loving to you, so maybe I shouldn’t give you too easy a time.”

Nevertheless, Jinki punched Jonghyun back on the shoulder. “Thanks Jjong. Always the mirror to my bad side.”

Jonghyun stuck his tongue out at Jinki childishly, then laughed, flopping back unto the seat of the booth.

A few moments passed in contemplative silence, before Jonghyun spoke up again.

“So when are you two getting married and having babies? I’m claiming the godfather spot!”

It took Jinki every bit of self-restraint to not throw the entire basket of chilli cheese fries at Jonghyun’s obnoxious face. 

****

A/N: Hello guys, did you all miss me? :/ 

I'm so sorry this took 5 months to be updated. My first university semester began in August and i was moving into the university dorms, trying to adjust. Before i knew it was caught up in the workload (it was horrible) and everything else that i had to juggle. As a result i was occupied right up till earlier this week, when my last paper for the semester finals concluded. *praying that i don't screw up* 

It's been a long time, but please do comment! I apologise for my long absence. I just don't think i'm getting very good at the how university life adjusting thing yet, but i promise things will get better next semester! (: For now, enjoy, and keep your lovely comments coming as always! :D