Twisted Knots - Chapter 2

Twisted Knots

A/N: Before i begin, a big thank you to the people who have subscribed/commented! Lurkers (if there are any), please show yourselves :( What will keep me updating is the fact that people are actually reading what i'm posting. Hope you enjoy this! (: For those who are dying for onkey action, be patient ~ it'll come soon!

****

Jinki walked down the corridors of his high school the next morning, hands deep within his pockets, and eyebrows furrowed in silent concentration. He was as good as oblivious to the admiring gazes and not-so-subtle whispers of the girls all around him, his head still full of thoughts about Kibum after his dream last night.

“Oh my gosh, he looks so cute when he’s deep in thought like that!”

“Those eyes of his are so charming, he doesn’t even need to be looking at me for me to feel like I’m on top of the world!”

“Look at you? Pfft, if there’s anyone Lee Jinki would look at it’s me!”

“Be quiet, says the person who’s secretly crushed on him for three years and never had the courage to confess!”

“But I heard he’s an orphan though, he’s an adopted child”

“That’s exactly what makes him so enchanting and mysterious!”

Jinki could hear snippets of the girls’ conversations, but they were of no interest to him whatsoever. Not when Kibum filled every single particle in his brain.

He was so deep in thought that he did not even notice his best friend, Kim Jonghyun, walking in step beside him until Jonghyun waved a hand right in front of his eyes, surprising him and resulting in him nearly tripping over his own feet in the process.

“Yah, Jonghyun, what’s with you, scaring me like that???”

“Hey, relax. You were the one who was spacing out on me; you didn’t respond at all although I was walking beside you and calling your name!”

Jonghyun and Jinki had been best friends since middle school; together they were two of the most eligible, sought after and popular students in the school. Jonghyun was the captain of the school’s soccer team, but was less academically inclined than Jinki was, instead excelling in music. It was his dream to become a singer one day.

Not that difficult, especially since Jonghyun had characteristic good looks that could rival that of any singer’s. It’s a pity he was slightly vertically challenged, but Jinki guessed that his good looks and singing talent could more than make up for what he lacked in height.

Jinki sighed deeply. “Sorry Jjong, I just have a lot on my mind right now.”

Jonghyun’s expression turned into one of instant concern and worry. “What’s wrong Jinki? I’ve been meaning to ask you about it. You seem to space out a lot lately and you look as if you haven’t been getting enough sleep. Don’t tell me you’re stressed out over schoolwork, everyone knows you have it all up there, unlike me.” Jonghyun grinned slightly, trying some self-depreciating humour in an attempt to cheer his best friend up.

Of course, Jonghyun knew about Jinki’s origins, or rather the lack thereof. He was probably the one who understood Jinki the best despite their vastly different interests and characters. Jonghyun was the sort who basked in the attention of all their fangirls, whereas Jinki was more of the sort who will simply treat them with an air of nonchalance. Nevertheless, Jonghyun knew what Jinki was like, and he definitely wasn’t the kind to brood over problems, whatever they may be, in this manner. He could only conclude that whatever was bothering him must be really serious to affect him in such a manner.

Jinki bit his lower lip, contemplating if he should tell Jonghyun about his recurring dreams lately. Sure, they may be best friends, but he wasn’t certain of how he would respond to a piece of news like that. Given Jonghyun’s carefree and happy-go-lucky nature, he was certain that Jonghyun would simply brush these dreams off as signs of stress and not take him seriously. Furthermore, Jinki wasn’t sure if he was ready to share something so personal with Jonghyun. Sure, he may know of his past, but Jinki had chosen to leave Kibum out of his recollections of the orphanage to Jonghyun.

“It’s nothing Jjong, I’m just a bit troubled over that big game we have to play against our archenemies this coming season.”

“Oh, so that’s what Lee Jinki has been ignoring his fangirls over?” Jonghyun chuckled, earning a glare from Jinki in the process. “It’s no problem buddy, we’re all in good shape, I’m convinced we’ll trash them!” Jonghyun then gave Jinki a good-natured punch in the shoulder, bringing an arm over his shoulders.

Jinki finally cracked a grin; nothing much could bother Kim Jonghyun, as always. If only life was as simple for me as it is for Jonghyun, Jinki thought. But then again, Jinki’s life had never meant to be simple right from the start.

Maybe that was the exact reason why Jinki and Jonghyun could get along so well. Jinki’s life was complicated, out of the ordinary, so many skeletons in the closet and secrets that he couldn’t reveal. Jonghyun, on the other hand, was like an open book. There were no whispers about him in corridors unlike about Jinki; it was just Kim Jonghyun, his good looks and undeniable talent for soccer. In a way, they balanced each other out.

Despite everything, Jinki was thankful, thankful that Jonghyun was always around to drag him out of himself.

The issue with Kibum though, Jinki felt that he couldn’t reveal it to Jonghyun, at least not for now. How was he going to explain it to his best friend when he himself was so confused over it? And if it didn’t make sense to him, all the more it was not going to make any sense to Jonghyun.

“Jinki? LEE JINKI!”

“Huh?” Jinki stared, wide-eyed, at his best friend.

“There! You’re spacing out on me again! You know dude, you really can’t be that worried over our game! You’re the vice-captain of this team and one of the team’s ace players; you space out during the game and we’re done for! Not to mention what would happen if your fan girls stop coming to support our team once you make a dweeb out of yourself! We’ll lose half of our fan population! Of course, my fangirls constitute the other half, but mine are y and yours are cute,and we need a variety of them!”

Jinki chuckled good-naturedly, recognizing Kim Jonghyun’s current state of mind as his trademark motormouth state. Unstoppable.

“Alright, Jjong, you win. I’ll focus on the game and protect our team’s spotless reputation okay?”

“YEAH THAT’S MY MAN!” Jonghyun dramatically punched his fist in the air, and shouted at the same time. He flashed his megawatt smile at a group of junior girls they passed, causing them to shriek and giggle loudly at the encounter.

“But then again, Jinki, I believe that you will still keep at least half of your original fan population even if you make a dweeb out of yourself at soccer. Those girls are just dying to throw themselves at you they won’t give a toss about you screwing up soccer. Since when have women understood the game anyway? I bet they’re just more interested in the way your body looks like in that jersey” Jonghyun said, his eyebrows waggling up and down.

Jinki shook his head, grinning, speechless at his best friend’s childish antics.

Just when he felt his mood returning to an almost relaxed state, Jinki felt the back of his neck prickle slightly for some inexplicable reason.

Jinki turned around slightly, scanning the crowd around him. What was he looking for anyway? This was school grounds, and the sight in front of him looked normal; students from all directions hurrying to their first period class. Nothing out of the ordinary. He looked back in front of him again.

Yet what was unsettling was that strange sensation he felt back then. It made him feel so vulnerable, so out of place, and yet so strangely right.

Jinki turned around again, at the same time absurdly questioning himself as to what he wanted to find amongst the sea of students. A pair of feline eyes staring back at him? Except older now, more reserved, more mature, but burning with an emotion that he couldn’t place?

Wait  a minute. Did I just think of that or did I just see that?

Jinki closed his eyes and rubbed his forehead in frustration.

I’m really going insane.

“Dude, you alright?” Jinki opened his eyes to see Jonghyun’s piercing eyes level with his own. Apparently his best friend had been watching him for a while.

Jinki forced a smile at Jonghyun and shook his head firmly when he saw Jonghyun’s mouth open, undoubtedly to question him again.

It must have been the look in Jinki’s eyes which shut Jonghyun up, for once, and he simply put his arm back around his best friend’s shoulder, pulling them in the direction of their first period lesson.

Jinki was not sure if he was imagining things, but he felt Jonghyun’s grip on his shoulder tighten somewhat, a silent reassurance that he was there for him come what may.

What is happening? Everyday there are more questions but they’re just piling up and I don’t forsee any answers, Jinki thought.

Answers. That was what Lee Jinki wanted.