Twisted Knots - Chapter 6

Twisted Knots

A/N: I need to start off first by apologising to all my subscribers. I've always said this, i'm not the most diligent writer around (in fact, i'm far from that) so it means a  lot to me that you all still remain to be my subsrcribers. There may be times that i disappear for long stretches of time but i promise that i will never give up on this fic. You guys have been amazing with your patience (: Here's a new chapter for you guys! Love you all (:

I promise i will update as soon as i have the time and muse/inspiration (:

****

“C-Coach Kim???” Jinki stuttered, unable to believe that it was his soccer coach standing right before him.

The said man simply gave an enigmatic smile in response, and Jinki saw his eyes flicker downwards, where Jinki’s arms were still looped tightly around Kibum’s waist.

Feeling suddenly shy and aware of his proximity to Kibum, Jinki released him and stepped back slightly.

Kibum’s uncle, or Coach Kim, chuckled good-naturedly.

“It’s amusing how you’re suddenly all shy in front of me, Jinki. You never were like this before.” Jinki could hear the badly suppressed laughter in his voice.

“Coach Kim, I-i…..” Jinki stuttered, still at a loss for words.

“Ahjusshi?” Kibum interrupted. “Can Jinki go in and sit down for a minute? It’s so cold out here.”

Kibum’s uncle smiled. “Of course, anything for this boy whom my nephew seems to adore so much.”

Still dazed, Jinki felt Kibum intertwine their hands together, and let himself be pulled into the warm, welcoming interior of the apartment.

****

Jinki still could not comprehend how he ended up sitting in this place; the love of his life beside him, holding his hand, and his supposed soccer coach, sitting across from them.

Kibum’s uncle picked up his teacup and took a sip from it, before putting it back down on the saucer. He caught sight of Jinki’s questioning eyes and chuckled lowly.

“Kibum, I’m sure Jinki has many questions for us. Let’s not deny him that right to ask questions now shall we?”

Kibum laughed, bringing Jinki’s hand up to his mouth and giving it a soft kiss.

Jinki turned his attention to Kibum now. “Kibummie, did you know that your uncle was my soccer coach all along?”

Kibum gently the back of Jinki’s hand. “Of course not. I found it out purely by accident. Or should I say, ahjusshi is an attentive one.”

Kibum’s uncle spoke up then. “About 2 years ago, I saw Kibum looking at a picture of the two of you as young children in the orphanage. Naturally, I was curious so I questioned Kibum.”

He took another sip from his cup, before continuing. “Kibum told me your story, of how you two were separated and how you never saw each other again. He was distressed, and admitted that he even went to the orphanage to get information about your adoptive parents, but was told that such information was strictly confidential.”

The man now looked straight at Jinki. “He had been searching for you all this while, wondering what you were doing, whether you’re okay. I saw how painful it was for him, and as his ahjusshi, I have a responsibility to help him out. All he could tell me was that the boy’s name is Lee Jinki.”

Kibum’s uncle sighed dramatically. “Perhaps you two were really meant to meet again. Do you remember when I first started coaching your soccer team Jinki?”

Jinki thought back for a while. “Slightly more than a year ago, perhaps…”

Kibum’s uncle nodded. “Correct. When I first started coaching your team I already had this knowledge from Kibum. So when I was handed the list of names of all the players in the team, you could say that I was very interested in the vice-captain.”

It was now Kibum’s turn to talk. “Ahjusshi came back that day, telling me that he may have found the boy from my childhood. But we had no way of confirming if it really was the Lee Jinki I knew back then.”

Suddenly, a flash of familiarity jolted Jinki’s senses.

****

Flashback

Jinki and Coach Kim were walking out of school together after a training session.

Suddenly Coach Kim spoke up. “Jinki, if you don’t mind my asking, what’s your family like?”

Jinki was a little startled by the sudden question. “Why?”

Coach Kim seemed to struggle with himself for a moment, then said, “I was just wondering if you have a soccer player in your family. You know, you play soccer so well, I can’t help but think that you have some sort of family background.”

Jinki laughed at the bitter irony of it all. “No, Coach, I’m an adopted kid. These are not my birth parents. Maybe my birth father was a soccer prodigy, that could be a plausible explanation.”

Jinki was not sure if he imagined it, but he saw a flash of something that looked like….(was it hope?) pass over his coach’s face. But it was gone as soon as it had come, and Jinki pushed the matter from his mind.

End of Flashback

****

Comprehension began to dawn on Jinki’s face.

Kibum’s uncle watched him silently. “I see you remember now, Jinki.”

Jinki was still struggling to accept this unlikely piece of knowledge. Yet, it was becoming clearer to him now; some things that had been happening to him were slowly beginning to make sense.

“Hold on for a minute, Coach Kim.” Jinki turned to Kibum, having remembered something just then. “Kibummie, about a month ago, I swear I saw you in school, in the corridors, watching me. Was it really you?”

Kibum gave a secretive smile. “That was all thanks to my ahjusshi. He let me into your school so I could see you for myself and ascertain whether or not it was you.”

Kibum then reached up and began to Jinki’s hair gently. “The moment I saw you that day, I knew. I knew it was you.”

Coach Kim then ploughed on. “So you can imagine, Jinki, whatever happened to you at the soccer game scared the hell out of my nephew. It was purely a coincidence that your school was playing against his that very day though.” Coach Kim shook his head, and then continued. “I kept encouraging Kibum to approach you, but he was so stubborn. He refused to see you because of what had happened to him at the orphanage.”

Something stirred inside Jinki at the mention of the abuse Kibum had suffered while at the orphanage. He looked directly at his coach. “With all due respect, Coach Kim, as Kibum’s legal guardian, wouldn’t you have the right to demand an inquiry into how the orphanage workers treated Kibum?” An unfamiliar anger was boiling in Jinki’s veins, at the thought of what they had done to Kibum.

Kibum’s uncle looked surprised. “Jinki, all throughout my time with you, I’ve never heard you raise your voice at me. This is the first time.”

Jinki felt immediately remorseful. “I-I’m sorry, Coach Kim, I didn’t mean to be rude. It’s just that-“

“Yes, you love Kibum, I know, Jinki” Coach Kim interrupted him, his eyes twinkling. “Seeing how protective you are of my nephew, Jinki, I must say that Kibum is extremely blessed to have found you again. He told me of your visit to the orphanage that day, and I’ve never seen Kibum this happy ever since the day I adopted him.”

Coach Kim sighed now, and Jinki was surprised to see for the first time, that his coach was really getting on in years. “Jinki, trust me, when I saw the state Kibum was in, I was furious. I wanted to bring the matter to court, but we had no solid evidence nor eyewitnesses. It had already happened, and it was such a long time ago. I only had to thank my lucky stars that I finally found my nephew, so that I could fulfill my brother and sister-in-law’s wishes, and make sure that nothing like that would ever happen to him again.”

Jinki could feel Kibum’s grip on his hand tighten somewhat.

Coach Kim stood up and sat on Jinki’s other side, putting a heavy arm around his shoulders. “Jinki, you have always been the star striker of your team, and being vice-captain, I know that the responsibilities you bear are heavy enough. But I’m afraid that I’m here to add on to the responsibilities that you already have.”

He looked directly into Jinki’s eyes. Man to man.

“Take care of my nephew for me. Make sure that he’s safe, make sure that nobody will hurt him ever again. You have his heart wholly in your hands; make sure that you’ll never break it.  I’m trusting you with this, Jinki.”

****

The moment Jinki entered his house, he knew what was coming.

The questions.

“You’re late for dinner, Jinki. It’s the third time this week.” His father’s voice rang loud and clear in the spacious apartment.

His father appeared in front of him then, his mother trailing slowly behind.

“Come here darling,  umma has saved some food for you,” his mother whispered, a soft hand taking his.

But Jinki shook his head, “No umma, I already ate outside.”

He wasn’t entirely telling the truth. The truth was, he had dinner with Kibum and Coach Kim.

Lee Jinki seldom lied to his parents. And in all reality, he was a bad liar and his parents knew it.

Jinki saw his parents exchange a quick look, before his father sighed again. “Jinki, please sit down. We want to talk to you for a bit.”

“Can’t it wait, appa? I’m tired.” Jinki was determined to prolong this as long as he could.

“No, Jinki. I’m afraid it can’t wait. It won’t take longer than ten minutes; just hear us out and listen to what we have to say. I promise I’ll let you have your rest afterwards.”

Jinki went and sat down in the armchair while his parents sat on the couch.

His father began to speak.

“Jinki, you’ve changed ever since you went to the orphanage that day. You’re hardly ever home, except for dinner. Sometimes you even miss dinner or arrive home late. You hardly even talk to us anymore, and you refuse to tell us what happened at the orphanage. This cannot go on, Jinki. What is going on with you?”

A part of Jinki wanted to evade the question. He really didn’t know how he should break this to his parents. How will they take it knowing that their only, precious son is a homoual? Would they kick him out? For the first time in his life, Jinki felt fear and insecurity ripple through him in the presence of his parents. He was tempted to hide the truth, and hope that his parents would buy it, whatever it may be.

Yet, he also knew deep down that he couldn’t hide this from his parents forever. They will have to find out sooner or later.

Jinki took a deep breath, and everything that he had been bottling up within himself for the past one month began tumbling out uncontrollably.

He watched his parents’ expressions change, from confusion, to disbelief, to shock, and then to a profound sadness which made his heart ache, knowing that he was the cause of it.

Without waiting for their answer, Jinki stood up.

“I’m sorry appa, umma. I have failed you. I wish that I can be a better son for you and I’ve tried my best because you have been so kind to me although I’m not your biological son. But I’m afraid this is my own decision, and I’m old enough to decide what I want for myself now.  I want to be with Kibum. I’ve spent my whole life searching for him, and now I am happy. I will not let him go so easily. If others were to find out that your adopted son is gay, then so be it. I will leave and I will not be a burden or bring humiliation to this family.”

With that, Jinki his heel and went to his room.

****

Jinki lay down on his bed the moment he closed the door to his room. This was probably the very first time he spoke to his parents in that manner, and just a few months ago, the mere thought of defying his parents’ will would have scared the hell out of him.

Oddly enough, as he lay here in his bed, in the exact same position just a few months ago while he was pining for Kibum and unaware of his whereabouts, he felt strangely secure and calm; more than he had ever been in his life.

He felt complete and steadied. In his naivety he felt that he could do anything as long as he had Kibum by his side. After all, he knew Kibum even before his parents came along. Kibum was his first experience of love, affection and comfort. It was like regressing into his childhood memories, carefree and unconcerned.

Suddenly, Jinki heard knocking on his door. Knowing that it was his parents and knowing what they wanted to talk to him about, he got up and locked the door. He just was not in the mood to talk right now.

He immediately heard the panicked soft tones of his mother, and then his father’s deep, droning voice, drowned out by the door. They conversed somemore, before the sound of fading footsteps told Jinki that they had left him alone, at least for the moment.

Jinki reached for his phone on his bedside table and dialed Kibum’s number.

Kibum picked up after two rings.

“Hyung? What’s wrong? Why aren’t you asleep at this hour?”

Jinki lay back down on his bed and closed his eyes. “Nothing. I just wanted to hear your voice.”

There was a brief moment of silence, and Jinki swore that he could hear the blush spreading over Kibum’s cheeks right at this very moment.

“Pabo” the single word was almost whispered from Kibum, and Jinki could almost feel the love and affection resounding in just a single word from Kibum.

“Kibummie?” Jinki suddenly said.

“Hmm?” Kibum sounded a little sleepy and drowsy.

“Promise me you’ll stay by my side always, no matter what happens.”

Kibum giggled softly. “You’re so cheesy, hyung. Of course I’ll stay by your side. You heard what ahjusshi said. I’ve been searching for you for so long. Now that I’ve found you, you’re not going anywhere.”

“I love you Kibummie.”

“I love you too hyung.”

A moment of silence followed again, but it wasn’t an awkward or tense silence. It was comfortable, familiar and just so right.

“Hyung?” Kibum said.

“Hmm?”

“I’m sleepy.”

Jinki chuckled at how adorable and childlike Kibum sounded. “Go to sleep, Kibummie. I’m here.”

‘Mm, goodnight hyung. “

“Goodnight Kibum. I love you.”

Jinki could hear a faint whispered “ I love you too” from Kibum before he heard his breathing even out. Kibum had fallen asleep.

****

The next morning, Jinki woke up. It was a Saturday morning, so usually his parents would cook a nice spread for breakfast and they would sit down and eat together.

Today, however, when he went to the dining room, it was empty. He searched the whole house, before realizing that his parents were out.

Jinki felt a dull pain stabbing in his chest, and he realized it was of hurt.

Looks like they didn’t even want to see him anymore. That being said, he also wondered if his attitude last night had been appropriate. He didn’t even wait for his parents to react before turning his back on them.

I can’t really blame them for being upset, Jinki thought wryly.

Trying hard to ignore the persistent dull aching in his heart, he dialed Kibum’s number again, for the second time in 12 hours.

****

When Jinki arrived at Kibum’s house, Kibum opened the door and immediately reached for Jinki, leaning his head on his chest and burying his head on his shoulder; Kibum’s favourite spot.

After a while, they parted and Kibum intertwined their hands together, leading Jinki to the sofa.

Kibum sat down, and before he could open his mouth to say anything, Jinki lay down with his head in Kibum’s lap, their hands still laced together.

They sat like that for a moment in silence.

For Jinki and Kibum, it seemed that words were never their friends. They didn’t need words anyway. Their actions certainly spoke volumes more.

Kibum used his free hand to gently Jinki’s soft locks.

“Kibummie? Can I ask you for a favour?”

Kibum simply hummed in reply, enjoying the feel of Jinki’s silky soft hair between his fingers.

“Can you let me stay here with you?”

Kibum’s hand suddenly stopped, and he turned his head so that he was looking right down at him directly. He saw the look in Jinki’s eyes; earnest and yet sad. Jinki’s bangs had fallen down over his forehead, and Kibum instinctively reached out to smooth them over. Jinki closed his eyes, enjoying the warm and tender caresses.

“What’s wrong hyung? Your parents- they-“

Jinki gently silenced Kibum by putting a finger to his lips.

“No questions, Kibum. Just tell me yes or no. I won’t be a bother to you or Coach Kim.”

“Hyung, that’s not the point. I’m sure ahjusshi won’t mind, but your parents? They’ll get worried.”

Jinki turned his head so that he was facing Kibum’s stomach; breathing in the younger boy’s unique scent of lavender. 

“Kibummie, all my life I’ve worked for my parents, to keep them happy. All I’m doing now is something that will make me happy. And that means staying by your side. Don’t you want me to be happy Kibummie?”

Kibum’s eyes softened considerably.

“Hyung, you know that I’ll do anything to make you happy, but that’s not really the issue here. You haven’t answered my question properly.”

“Baby, look at me.” Jinki said tenderly. Kibum flushed scarlet at the endearment, looking away from Jinki and refusing to meet his eyes.It was the first time Jinki had used an endearment on him.

Jinki chuckled at the light pink colour dusting his cheeks; he looked unbelievably cute.

Kibum slapped Jinki lightly on the arm. “Yah! Stop evading my question!”

Jinki sat up and put his hand on Kibum’s face so that he was facing him and looking at him in the eyes.

‘Don’t worry about my parents. You don’t have to worry about anything at all, Kibummie. I’ll be here by your side, every day and night. I’m 18 and you’re only 16, but who cares. I know I want to spend the rest of my life with you. I made that promise to your ahjusshi and I’ll do everything in my power to fulfill it.”

Jinki then silenced any further protests with the gentle touch of his lips.

Just then, the shrill ring of Jinki’s phone pierced the silent and comfortable air in the apartment.

Pulling his phone out of his pocket, Jinki saw the caller ID flashing across the screen.

“Appa calling…..”

Jinki felt another pang in his heart, and was seized with a strong urge to pick up, to hear his father’s calming deep voice telling him that everything was okay, that they would accept him no matter what.

But in his mind’s eye, he could practically hear the sting of rejection in his parents’ voices, demanding that he leave Kibum if he ever wanted to be accepted back into the family.

He then shifted his gaze back to Kibum’s imploring and questioning eyes, and nearly melted when he saw the flash of vulnerability and fragility behind them.

Resolve solidifying, Jinki pressed the “End Call” button and tossed his phone aside, at the same time reaching out for Kibum.

Kibum, despite having misgivings about the whole thing, could only comply, nestling his head in the crook of Jinki’s neck and inhaling the unique, musky and masculine scent which marked Jinki.

Jinki nuzzled slightly at the crown of Kibum’s head, the feel of it so comfortable that Kibum was gradually lulled to sleep.

But just before Kibum drifted off to dreamland, he could have sworn he felt a slight dampness on his cheek, wetted with tears which were not his own.