One Shadow, Two Individuals

Love Me Another Way
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Things get relatively better after that. Joohyun is back to being normal with her and the feelings Seulgi has for her start to disappear again, like how it always has been the past decade. It comes and goes like nobody's business. She knows it might happen again some day, but for now she's enjoying the moments she shares with Joohyun and the rest of the girls. Red Velvet is doing well and they're spending so much time together as a group and will continue to be busy until the end of the year.

 

New Year comes and they are finally given some time to rest for the first time in a while. There are plans for one group comeback, a solo for Seungwan and a concert tour between the third and fourth quarter of the year but for now nothing is set on stone yet. Meanwhile, Sooyoung is about to shoot a new drama soon and Yerim is going to try hosting a talk show.

 

Seulgi goes back to her hometown for a few days before spending the rest of her break in Seoul, catching up with friends. Joohyun is also in Daegu for a whole week and comes back looking fresher than ever, ready to nail those beginning of the year award season.

 

One day, after a rehearsal for Golden Disk Awards, Joohyun and Seulgi go straight back to the company. They have been informed the day before that the company's founder would like to speak with them. There was a misunderstanding in Seulgi's part, she thought the whole group would have a meeting with Mr. Lee, but apparently only the two of them will. She kind of knows where this is going but doesn't want to get her hopes too high up. Joohyun, too, has been quite on the way there, closing her eyes, stuffing her ears with her earphones.

 

"We're shuffling things a little bit. Wendy's solo debut will be on the second half of the year and then we'll have a group comeback and then you girls go on tour." Mr. Lee announces, sitting leisurely on the couch in his office while Joohyun and Seulgi sit opposite him. "Now, the company is offering you two a sub-unit debut. We have a few concepts in mind but you two will have more creative control this time so you're free to come up with your own ideas. We have an empty slot somewhere between April and May. So.." He claps his hands once excitedly. "What do you girls think about this?"

 

A duo with just the two of them is something that they, and the company, have thought about since before the group even debuted. They work so well together and when their dance video for 'Be Natural' was released before they debuted, it has become a clear thing that their chemistry is off the chart. Seulgi is lying if she said that she hasn't been expecting this. After all, Girls' Generation got their first sub-unit four and a half years after they debuted while Red Velvet is in their fifth, going on sixth year now.

 

"Just the two of us, Seulgi and I?" She hears Joohyun confirms with Mr. Lee.

 

"Yes. You two want this, right?"

 

Joohyun looks to her for a second before answering. "Of course, but we- I didn't think it would happen so fast, or not this year at least."

 

"Well, it's happening if you girls want it." Mr. Lee smiles at them. "This is a no brainer, your fans have been dying to see you two together."

 

"Seul?" Joohyun calls for her opinion.

 

"It's an honour, Seonsaeng-nim. We're very excited but we're also a little bit surprised.. and nervous." She says with a chuckle, trying to cover up Joohyun's blatant hesitation, not wanting to offend the boss.

 

"Thank you so much for this opportunity, Seonsaeng-nim, but do you mind if Seulgi and I discuss this before we get back to you? I really, really appreciate it but I just need to wrap my head around this.” She says with an appreciative smile to prove her point.

 

"Of course. You shouldn't worry too much about it, though. I trust that you two will do a great job." The man stands up and walks to his desk, checking his little scheduler. He then tells them the dates he will be available to meet with them again to discuss it further, this time with other executives present.

 

After getting out of the office, Joohyun corners her at a quiet place near the emergency staircase. "Seulgi, are you sure you want to do this?"

 

Seulgi furrows her eyebrows, Joohyun's reaction has been confusing her. "Of course, Unnie. We've talked about this. Imagine all the concepts we can explore that we didn't get to do with the group." She studies the older woman's face and it's really disheartening that Joohyun doesn't seem to be as excited as she is. "Unnie, do you not want to do this?"

 

Joohyun exhales. "Of course I want to, this is our dream. It's just that.." She bites her bottom lip, thinking. "You know there are fans who like seeing us together, right? Like.. they hope that there's something.. romantic going on between the two of us."

 

Seulgi can feel herself blushing but she tries to keep her cool. "Every group has those fans, Unnie."

 

"I know, but.. with this album, the company will want to capitalize on that and there will be.. a lot of.. gaybaiting, I guarantee you." Joohyun runs her hand through her hair frustatingly.

 

Seulgi feels her heartbeat racing, not in a good way. It hurts knowing that Joohyun doesn't want to do this because of her, because of that stupid confession she did. What was she even thinking telling Joohyun that? She looks down dejectedly, mentally crossing that one item that is placed somewhere in the top 5 of her bucket list. "I understand. I'm sorry I ruined this for you." She says, her voice small with guilt. "I'll think of something to say to Mr. Lee and I'll run it by you before telling him. I'll take care of this."

 

Seulgi is about to walk away but Joohyun holds her back. "Seulgi.. I didn't say I don't want to do it. I just want to know if you're okay with this."

 

"What do you mean?" Seulgi scrunches her face in confusion.

 

Joohyun leans her body on the wall behind her. "Are you okay with.. spending so much time alone with me and.. acting and posing intimately with me?"

 

"Oh." It's weird that Joohyun is worry about her when Seulgi should be the one worrying that Joohyun might not be comfortable doing those things with her. "Unnie, why are you asking me this when I should be the one asking you?"

 

"I told you you can never make me uncomfortable, Seul." She says sincerely. "I'm sorry if I bring this up unecessarily, but I just have to be sure. Once we say yes, there's no turning back."

 

It's crazy how thoughtful Joohyun can be and it warms her heart. "I want to do this, Unnie. It's our dream. I promise you I'll be in my best behaviour. I'll be very professional." Seulgi says, a little bit out of breath, suddenly becoming very hopeful and excited.

 

"So, we're doing this?" Joohyun confirms once last time with almost the same level of enthusiasm.

 

"We're doing this."

 

"Wow, this is crazy." Joohyun starts bopping her head in excitement, her eyes are twinkling. "I want to do something really dark."

 

"And something really powerful." Seulgi adds.

 

"But not too powerful that I couldn't keep up, though."

 

"Unnie, you can dance powerfully too when the song suits you."

 

"Yeah, but not your level of powerful."

 

"Your dance is very graceful and very delicate, we can balance that with power." She suggests.

 

Joohyun nods her head, eyes wide, lips stretch from ear to ear.

 

"Let's do something like.. like a.. revenge thriller!" Seulgi keeps putting ideas out there.

 

"Let's kill everybody!" Joohyun says as one staff walks pass them, snapping his head to them after hearing such violent thing coming out of Red Velvet's Irene's mouth. The two women quickly greet the staff and laughs maniacally once the man is out of earshot. "Okay, we're getting too ahead of ourselves."

 

Seulgi looks at Joohyun for a second before engulfing her in her big bear hug, surprising the older woman. "It's finally happening, Unnie!" She feels Joohyun hugging her back warmly.

 

-

 

They spend a lot of time together, the most they've ever spent with just the two of them since their trainee days. Meetings with the company, the producers, the A&R team, the choreographers, and many more people that will help them make this debut album happen. They spend hours at home glued to each other, two individuals sharing a shadow; talking and discussing, sometimes fighting, coming up with more ideas.

 

"What!? You have never watched The Handmaiden? Unnie, how do you even call yourself a Korean? You're embarrassing our nation." Seulgi screams in the most exaggerated way, as if Joohyun has just defected to the North. She shrieks when Joohyun tackles her down to the carpeted floor, shutting with her hand, and flicks her forehead with not so much force.

 

"You little brat!" The older woman laughs her off.

 

"You have to watch it, Unnie. It has amazing visual and we can certainly steal some ideas from the film's colour palettes for our MV. I think some of the things in it can fit really well with our one individual, two shadows concept." She tells her passionately.

 

Joohyun stretches her arm. "Alright, shall we go to my room and watch it?"

 

The invitation stuns Seulgi as all the rated scenes in the movie suddenly flood her mind. "Uh... why don't y

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter