Can't, Shouldn't, Mustn't

Love Me Another Way
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Seulgi is getting her hair done for a magazine photoshoot she's about to do with Joohyun and someone is currently getting physically too close to her group leader. It's not a weird sight as Joohyun is naturally an affectionate and clingy person who has the habit of clinging to her group members and their staff. So, what exactly is Seulgi's problem? She shakes her head violently, trying to get rid of the uncomfortable feeling she feels inside her, earning herself a groan of disagreement from her hair stylist who immediately asks her to stay still so she can do her job properly. Seulgi mutters an apology and grabs a magazine from the stack.

 

Cosmopolitan. The magazine was a favourite among her schoolmates back in their high school days as it has a lot of articles on love and tips. The girls would gathered around during breaks to secretly read the thick magazine together, giggling and screaming at things girls their age would innocently considered vulgar and . She chuckles at the thought as it makes her miss her high school friends.

 

Seulgi’s fingers flip the pages and stop when she sees an eye-catching title called ’15 Signs It’s More Than a Crush’. Her eyes shoot back up to the mirror in front of her where Joohyun's reflection is, regretting it instantly as it forces her to witness the moment Joohyun’s lips are being touched so sensually by Shin Yeona, her new personal stylist and the one in charge of styling the both of them for the photoshoot today. The sight makes her blood boil. That’s not the even her job, she’s a stylist and has no business fixing Joohyun’s make up.

 

She almost shook her head violently again but stops herself before she could get another protest from the woman currently curling her hair. She looks back down to the magazine on her lap, propping it up so it's easier to read while at the same time to block the unpleasant view reflecting in the mirror.

 

She reads the number one sign on the list and turns the magazine to check the cover, making sure it's really Cosmopolitan because the sentence is oddly specific and the wording in that article sounds a little trashy for her taste. It really is Cosmopolitan. She sighs and starts applying it to her own situation.

 

1. You switch from being nervous and sweaty around them to being comfortable and almost even chill around them.

Yes, she used to be nervous around Joohyun and is now very comfortable with her, which is extremely normal considering they've known each other for so many years. The thing about being sweaty, though, Seulgi loves dancing so of course she's sweaty all the time with or without Joohyun around. She rolls her eyes and goes to the second thing on the list.

 

2. When you part ways after a date or hangout, you don't feel anxious and crazed wondering when they'll text you again.

They live together. Next!

 

3. Your text conversations are actual conversations, instead of flirty texting games.

They almost always have important conversations face-to-face. Texts are reserved for practical things like a reminder to buy some eggs or milk, or to inform each other that there are leftovers in the fridge. 

 

4. You're happy just to go to the grocery store with them instead of planning a perfect evening deserving its own soundtrack and rom-com montage.

She does love grocery shopping with Joohyun, but a perfect evening deserving its own soundtrack and rom-com montage actually sounds really good. So, no, she's not in love, it's just a stupid crush.

 

5. When they sleep over, you're finally cool with removing your makeup.

Again, this doesn't apply to them because they've known each other since before they both started constantly wearing makeup.

 

Seulgi exhales grumpily, closing the magazine and putting it back on top of the stack. Maybe she should email Cosmopolitan and requests for them to make a more specific article, like '15 Signs You're in Love with Someone You've Known and Spent Almost 24/7 with for a Decade'. She checks herself in the mirror and sees that her hair is only halfway done, so she decides to torture herself further and reaches for another edition of Cosmopolitan magazine. There's an article called '42 Not-So-Obvious Signs You're Falling in Love'. Fourty-two, how comprehensive.

 

1. You love how they smell.

Duh, Joohyun smells like body lotion and fabric softener, what's not to love?

 

2. You wanna know their love language.

She already knew her love language. It's a little bit of everything mixed together but slightly more heavy on the acts of services and physical touch. With a bonus of gifts, more giving than receiving.

 

3. You prioritize their needs.

It has been a running joke among her members and the fans that Seulgi's life motto is 'Unnie first, everything else second', but that's just Seulgi being polite. Joohyun is the oldest among them after all.

 

4. You look at them when they sleep.

Not in a creepy way. But if one has the chance to look at Red Velvet's Irene's face without the fear of getting caught, wouldn't anyone want that? She's South Korea's It Girl for a reason.

 

5. You're willing to try new foods for them.

Not always. She has tried durian because of Joohyun despite the horrendous smell but she didn't like it and has never touched the fruit ever again. Wait a minute, the point is that she tried, though. Tsk.

 

6. You value their opinion.

All four of them value her opinions, always.

 

7. You start to understand their flaws.

Not only Joohyun's, she has to try to understand all of the others' flaws as well. So no, if she fell in love with Joohyun, that means she fell in love with Seungwan, Sooyoung and Yerim too. 'Gross.'

 

8. You're craving the cuddles and not the .

 

Seulgi slams the magazine shut so violently it startles the hair stylist, resulting in a jerk reflex that pushes the side of the iron curler to Seulgi's neck. She screams in pain as the hair stylist stands there in horror, apologizing profusely.

 

"Seulgi, what happened?" Joohyun instantly appears on her side, face full of worry.

 

The hair stylist tries to explain before Seulgi steps up, owning her mistake. "Sorry, I moved suddenly and the thing hit my neck. It's my fault."

 

Seulgi feels Joohyun's hand on her jaw, carefully turning her face to the side to check on the burn. The pain has suddenly been forgotten as she's now more worried of her thumping heart. 

 

"Unnie, can we get an ice pack and a small towel, please?" Joohyun asks as one of their managers rushes to them after hearing the scream.

 

Seulgi moves closer to the mirror to check how bad it is, but is promptly being pushed to sit back down by Joohyun. When their manager finally comes with the things she asked for, Joohyun grabs the towel and walks to the hair washing chair to wet it with cold water. She then comes back and wraps the ice pack with the towel.

 

"It's a bit cold." Irene warns before gently pressing it on the burn, making her hiss at the chilling sensation.

 

Seulgi steals a glance at her and sees Joohyun looking upset, which isn't exactly a surprise because she is always upset when Seulgi hurts herself and that simple fact makes her feel things in her stomach. Butterflies, they say.

 

"Don't let anyone put concealer on it, okay? We'll just ask them to airbrush the photos later." Joohyun instructs.

 

"Joohyun." Someone calls. Seulgi looks to the mirror and sees the stylist standing behind her. "I have this oinment to reduce inflammation." She hands Joohyun a tiny white jar.

 

"Oh, thank you. This is perfect." Joohyun gives her a sweet smile, almost the same kind of smile she usually gives Seulgi.

 

"Thank you, Unnie." Seulgi thanks her as well and receives a small nod and a smile. The stylist is really nice and it makes it harder for Seulgi to want to dislike her.

 

If there's a silver lining to all this is the fact that Joohyun's whole attention is on her from that moment on until they are done with the photoshoot. It even continues to the dorm, where Joohyun waits for her

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter