Courting

Love Me Another Way
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It's past noon on a Thursday, everyone is home but the dorm is eerily quiet. Each and every one of them is locked in their own room and no single sound is heard. It's not until two in the afternoon when they start coming out one by one, walking like corpses with their swollen eyes.

 

"Great, we ran out of milk." Yerim complains, slamming the fridge door closed. "Anyone wants to volunteer to go get some?" She asks, looking expectantly at Seulgi and Sooyoung who are sitting lifelessly at the dining table.

 

"My knees hurt so bad." Sooyoung excuses, while Seulgi ignores her and drops her head on one arm on the table, shutting her eyes yet again.

 

"Rise and shine, ladies!!!" Seungwan appears with fake enthusiasm. Only her voice is loud while her face looks like she hasn't slept in three days.

 

"Wendy-unnie, can you make us some french toasts please?" Yerim requests, forcing out the sweetest smile she knows Seungwan just can't refuse. Not when she's being so cute and so polite.

 

"Urgh.. okay." Seungwan makes her way to the kitchen.

 

Seulgi hears shuffling from in there before Seungwan peeking her head out. "Guys, we ran out of milk." The three of them bursts into laughter in unison, confusing the head chef of the house.

 

"Stupid." Sooyoung pushes Yerim's head playfully.

 

"I didn't know we need milk to make french toasts." She smiles sheepishly.

 

"Yeri Kim, you've literally made french toasts before." Seulgi smacks her arm with the back of her hand.

 

"Is unnie still sleeping?" Seungwan asks, receiving a we-don't-know look from her friends. "I think we should just order take outs. I'll go ask what she wants to eat."

 

Seungwan comes back not long after with Joohyun in tow, dressed in sweatpants and a black t-shirt. "I'm going grocery shopping with Seungwan, you girls can text me what you need." The leader announces, earning an unenthusiastic responses from the three girls on the table.

 

Joohyun stares at them for a while before coming up with an idea. "Hey, wanna have a junk food party?" Finally, she receives a much more enthusiastic response.

 

They are all dead tired after filming a new music video for two days straight. The director was experimenting with a new camera and they became the victims of having to do even more takes then usual. They only came home at eight in the morning after filming the whole night.

 

It's then quickly settled that Joohyun and Seungwan will buy groceries and stop by a new gourmet pizza place that they all have been dying to try, while the rest of the girls will stay home, ordering take outs from various places that serve the unhealthiest junk food they can think of.

 

Seulgi is in the middle of setting up a playlist for their lunch background music in the living room when she sees Sooyoung putting her hand into the small rubbish bin at the corner of the living room.

 

"Why did unnie throw this away? It's still perfectly fine." She uses the tip of her thumb and forefinger to pick up a phone case, dangling it for Seulgi to see.

 

It's the purple flowery phone case Joohyun has been using these past few months, also known as one of the many couple items she has with Shin Yeona. Seulgi shrugs it off, thinking that maybe there's a crack there that is missed by Sooyoung's unattentive eyes.

 

"Do you think they broke up?" The taller of the two asks.

 

The idea freezes Seulgi. She then tries to shrug it off again. "Maybe she's just bored of it or maybe she bought a new one she couldn't wait to use."

 

They don't have the chance to discuss it further as Yerim comes back from picking their food delivery up from the lobby. Sooyoung then goes to help the maknae transfer the food to empty plates. Joohyun and Seungwan come home not too long after and in no time they're all gathered at the dining table, ready to devour the food in front of them.

 

They're in the middle of eating when Sooyoung strikes up a conversation. "Unnie, is that a new phone case?"

 

Seulgi's eyes immediately go to Joohyun, then to the phone that she placed face down on the table, now blanketed with a rather plain black and white case.

 

"Yes." Joohyun pauses her eating and looks down to her phone. "It's sponsored. Do you want one? I think we have more."

 

"No, I'm just asking. Cause I found your old one in the trash can." Sooyoung says, grabbing a honey garlic drumstick.

 

"Oh." Is all that she has to offer, busying herself with her slice of pizza.

 

Sooyoung makes a face at Seulgi before asking non-chalantly, "Did you break up with Yeona-unnie?"

 

Two pairs of eyes; Seulgi and Seungwan’s shoot up to their unnie, while Yerim snorts, looking at Sooyoung. “For God’s sake, can you be more straight-forward?” She mutters sarcastically.

 

Realizing all the attention is now on her, Joohyun puts down her half-eaten pizza and her fingers before saying just as non-chalantly, "I told you it was nothing serious."

 

Everyone except for Seulgi then takes turn questioning her about Yeona curiously and she can sense that Joohyun is starting to get annoyed. She's about to interfere when Joohyun puts her spoon down on her plate loudly, startling and shutting them all up.

 

"Oops." She giggles, picking it up again and putting it back on the plate neatly, treating it as an accident. Seulgi knows her tricks. Joohyun loses her cool and yells at them sometimes, but plays it off as a joke the next second by laughing at it. "It's not rocket science, kids. We're both consenting adults, having a little bit of fun, and it's over now. That's it." She reluctantly explains.

 

"May I know why it's over?" Seulgi's mouth runs before her brain could stop her.

 

Joohyun pauses, gathering her thoughts before rambling on. "She's been doing really well and getting busier. I've also been very busy and will get even more busy as we're gearing up for our comeback. I didn't have personal schedule these past few weeks, meaning I didn't get to see her much and.. I don't know, all that stupid stuff." She shrugs, sputtering problems that don't seem to be consequential enough for a break up.

 

"She knows what you do for a living from the start, Unnie. I'm sure she understands." Seulgi, on the other hand, doesn't understand why is still talking without her brain's permission. When Joohyun only looks at her questioningly, she continues, "It's just that.. she's very nice and she's really good to you. I've told you before that I'm glad seeing you getting out of the house more and to see you with someone you can depend on."

 

"I agree with Seulgi-unnie." Sooyoung jumps in with a smirk. "It also doesn't hurt that she's hot."

 

"If you two like her so much why don't you date her instead?" Joohyun says curtly, looking at them back and forth. The temperature in the room drops all of a sudden, a common occurence as Joohyun seems to be easily agitated these days. She takes a deep breath and exhales loudly, fixing her expression. "Listen, Yeona is nice and all that but.. I ended things with her because she told her friends about us, which I don't like." She explains, rubbing her neck tiredly. "To be fair, they are her best friends but she shouldn't have done that without asking me, knowing how risky it is for people like us. Not only the being gay part, but also just dating in general. Well, honestly I'm mostly pissed with the fact that now there are three more strangers who know I'm into women."

 

There are instant murmurs around the table. Seungwan, Sooyoung and Yerim are talking among themselves rather than to Joohyun, commenting on the newly-found information. The leader then clears and the attention is now back on her. "Do you guys have any more questions for me regarding this?"

 

They shake their heads no. Seungwan then taps Joohyuns arm comfortingly. "I'm not trying to defend her but.. who wouldn't brag a little if they're sleeping with The Irene Bae, you know what I mean?" She grins, earning a playful scoff from Joohyun. "I don't think she meant any harm, Unnie. But yeah, she should've been more careful."

 

"I know. That's why I'm keeping her as my stylist." Joohyun says. There's a contemplation in her face before she turns the table around. "So, tell us about your new girlfriend, Seul." She asks, calmly throwing Seulgi into a tank full of piranhas.

 

Chaos erupts right there right then and Seulgi swears that Joohyun can be really cruel sometimes. She stuffs fingers in her ears as her friends are screaming questions at her. When they're getting nothing from her, all attention goes back to the issue maker.

 

"I didn't get to see the person, I only saw her driving a grey Porsche Carrera when she-"

 

Joohyun stops herself just in time and Seulgi silently thanks her for it. No one needs to know that Evie sent her back home so early in the morning as they would immediately assumed that they spent the night before together, which isn't wrong at all.

 

"Ooh.. Porsche Carrera." Seungwan starts nudging her, asking her to spill the tea.

 

"Wait a minute." Yerim narrows her eyes suspiciously, but stops right away when Seulgi glares at her. She must have suspected that it was Evie.

 

"She's not my girlfriend. I'm not dating anyone at the moment. I swear! She's just a friend." She rambles pathetically and it seems like they take pity on her as they only a few more times and switch the subject to something else, mainly complaining about their music video director. The lunch could have ended

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter