Surprise, Surprises

Manhwanism
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I never fathom this day would come. The day where I would witness the High Priestess and the Princess engage themselves in a heated argument with me in between them. I'm currently in the Palace, stayed only for 5 hours before the High Priestess came with almost half of her Holy Knights, asking for my presence to be quarantined in the Cathedral for protection. The Princess didn't like that idea and so here they are.

 

"Ari why are you being so hard headed? Just because you two reconciled doesn't give you the right to decide things now." 

 

The Princess flicked her eyebrow, "And who's to say you should too? May I remind you that the Cathedral might be separated from the Monarchy but if you talk about ground rules here, you still must follow and for what I can see, Count Eury is under my supervision so I do have every rights, friend or not, to make her stay in the Palace until a thorough investigation has been done." 

 

"If you really care about Count Eury's wellbeing then you clearly are not in the right mind if you wouldn't surrender her to the Cathedral, a place enclosed in Mana, a realm of where violence can never occur and not to mention it is located inside the Imperial Castle, the safest place in this Nation." The High Priestess rebutted and she made a good point that's why there was a moment of silence before the Princess' response.

 

"How peculiar. Usually the Cathedral doesn't involve themselves over this kind of matter. Why are you only showing such generosity towards a Noble now of all times? What was the difference over the attack on Baron Heisen's Estate? Viscount Welsh's vacation? Where were you back then? Chantal, this is the only time I'm asking you this sincerely. Don't involve yourself in." The Princess tone changed that time. It was more of like a really serious one and it wasn't light-hearted anymore. 

 

This scene....reminded me of that last dinner I had with my friends after the entrance exam. Mina and Jihyo also had this kind of conversation but I can't remember the full details of it. What were they fighting about again? 

 

I held my head and prevented it from throbbing when I heard the High Priestess' response.

 

The High Priestess took a step forward and looked at the Princess straight in the eyes, with that I can feel everyone around us tensed. 

 

"Tell me about it 'Your Highness' you never indulge yourself in this kind of matter. When Trinity faced an attack from a foreign group, the Palace was so civil with it and to think it brought Trinity to the infirmary for five days. You were okay with such things with your betrothed but why is it different now too?" The High Priestess retaliated.

 

Trinity did? But...for such a major event to happen, why the hell was it not included in the Manhwa? I'm learning it just now too!

 

I bit the insides of my cheek when I observed the room once again. How did I end up here you may ask? Well things happened..... let's go back a little bit. 

 

I wasn't actually stressed of what happened. Terry was there with us so I wasn't worried. I was actually more bummed out at what transpired after. As expected, Itzel did an abominable job in reprimanding the Knights that attacked me, Trinity arrived in less than an hour after the news broke out and the Head Master came rushing in bringing ten different kinds of doctors in my Estate.

 

Trinity actually rode on top of Lord Jade's true form since, coincidentally, the two were out on a survey project and came immediately after hearing the news. 

 

"Eury! I heard what happened did they—they did hurt you! Idiots! This mustn't be! Jade take us immediately to the Palace where Eury can rest properly!" It was the Head Master's frantic voice. 

 

"Head Master Naomi it's alri—"

 

My small voice fell into deaf ears as the Head Master started to order people around us to prepare my necessities while Itzel's voice overshadowed mine.

 

"What are you on about you midget? This house is currently in danger for another attack and you're prohibiting Eury from being safe from that?"

 

A nerved popped out of Itzel's head and grabbed the Marquess collar in a really animated way, "I am Eury's best mate! I can protect her 24/7 you tall non-combatant bastard." 

 

Oh god, I can already feel a headache coming this way. 

 

"Actually cub I'm with Trin on this one, you're going to be in and out the rest of the week because you said you're going to handle things in your own hand. The palace is the safest place for Eury right now." Lord Jade interjected. 

 

Why the hell are they talking as if I'm not here? 

 

"No! If that's the case then I'm coming with—aghk!" 

 

Itzel covered the top of her head after being hit by Head Master Naomi's fan.

 

"Itzel you foolish child! Who would handle this case with such precision and in fine details if you allow yourself to be stupid enough to let go of this? Something that would really hurt Eury in the end if not done in appropriation!" 

 

Itzel grumbled as she narrowed her gaze at her aunt. I don't think she'd be able to rebut at that though. I mean Itzel has a high pride but she knows when to shut up especially if the other person made a huge point. 

 

That's how I ended up in the Palace with nothing but Terry with me. The Head Master tended to me for a moment before she left to go back to her tower and talk to the Ministry of Magic and Defense about the matter, Lord Jade and Trinity also left to accompany Itzel in taking care of the 250+ knights in my estate as well as the interrogation of Count Idetal and ex-Commander Polis which left me to the High Priestess and the Princess' care, both came with the use of the Cathedral's portal. 

 

I am after all, currently in the Main Palace of Kingdom Eria where the Princess is residing and it would at least take days to travel from here to the Imperial Castle using a wagon. 

 

I sighed as I placed both of my hands on their respective shoulders. 

 

One thing I learned from my previous life was that I can never make arguing people equally happy, that only happens with like 3% chance but what I do learn is that I can make then equally unhappy. 

 

"Your Highness, Your Holiness, forgive my rudeness but I must respectfully decline to the both of your proposals." 

 

They were surprised, it got them quiet for a moment that even both the Royal Guards and Holy Knights nervously looked at each other. Don't get me wrong, I really want to stay close to the Princess now that we've reconcile but standing here, listening to them made me realize two things:

 

1. I would only get way to the Princess' up coming Engagement Party to be held next, next week. It's going to be grand, festive and....a bit painful for me to watch but I'll manage. 

 

2. I realized that the Empress was right. I may be under their guidance and supervision but that doesn't mean I don't have a mind of my own. That I can't defend or stand up for myself. I need them to acknowledge me as someone who they can lean on instead, not some burden or something to always protect of. It's kind of...I don't know. 

 

"But Eury—"

 

"Actually Your Highness, I would really appreciate it if you grant me the permission to return to my County. I still have to check on my staff and estate. I may not be able to fight properly due to my fluctuating Mana, rest assured that I have my Head Butler and Left Hand Man with me for that. Please do hear my plea." I stated clearly before either of then can talk. 

 

I wasn't lying when I said that but I'm also not saying the whole truth. I still have things to do and that includes opening the first scroll sent to me by Chloe which dropped on my head earlier on the way here. I was about to complain but then I remembered how our deal went with the bird and everything. 

 

With how things are smoothly progressing on their side, I am positive that this story will reach its conclusion soon and that'll be the time when I get to know the next moves I'll take. 

 

I turned to the High Priestess when she released a short breath, "Very well. You have stated your case and I will trust you on this. Just...let me do this instead." 

 

I didn't really have any time to move away as she captured my nape and held it with both of her hands before letting our foreheads touch. I felt a cool, relaxing energy flow into my system along with a gleam on top of our heads before she took a step back. Gasps can be heard from around us and I can't help but look up where a faint cross symbol stood on top of my head. 

 

"Your Holiness! That's—!"

 

The High Priestess Chantal smiled, "The Cathedral's Mark, yes. The moment you are harmed from something, it will automatically cause chaos in the Temple. In that way, we'll be able to immediately send help the moment you need it." 

 

The Cathedral's Mark? But...but isn't that an ancient spell only the Highest Priestesses can use? But it costs a lot of Mana and can only be given once in every decade! Just what is the High Priestess thinking, giving it to someone like me?

 

"Surely you don't have any problems with that Your Highness?" The High Priestess asked the Princess who became awfully quiet just observing us with such unreadable expression. Stoic and yet blank, I know she didn't mean it like that but I also don't know what exactly is she implying with such look. Goes to show that I should really set a separate line for this world's Mina and my Mina. cause the two, I'm starting to see a difference. 

 

"No complains here. If it's what Eury wants then I give her the permission to go." 

 

I smiled when I got the confirmation I needed. Though that smile of mine made the Princess frown (quite a bit) and I wonder why.

 

Fortunately their clash broke off and the High Priestess peacefully backed out along with her Head Priest and Holy Knights. 

 

"Eury, this spell will trigger only if you're in great danger. Minor ones will be discarded so please, be careful. I'm still studying on ways to uncap your Mana without the original sealer's blood. Until then, I trust that you also see importance in yourself and keep safe from harm." The High Priestess said in an almost motherly voice. 

 

Now that, reminded me of Jihyo even more. 

 

"Don't worry Your Holiness, I will." I said, reassuring her before she gave me an embrace and planted a quick kiss on my cheek.

 

"May the Gods protect you." 

 

I turned red after she had done that. I didn't expect it! I was lucky she was already gone in her portal the moment this stupid body decided to raise the heat up. 

 

"So you and Chantal huh?" 

 

I jumped a little and looked back, remembering that the Princess was still there! Oh god that was embarrassing! And I was even holding my cheek as if some high school crush just gave me the biggest token ever. 

 

"I–I apologize! I didn't mean to.." 

 

She raised her hand and chuckled dryly, "Don't explain. It's nice to see you....opening your heart to others." 

 

O..kay? 

 

"You sure you don't want to stay? Usually you'd stay even if you weren't asked to. It's just, how do I put this, a bit askew?" 

 

I wasn't offended..at all. The Princess already sent her Guards back and that is why there's only the two of us left for some private talk before I depart. She's just genuinely curious and well, we did agree that communicating is a key to fix our relationship here.

 

"I'm fine Arizona, if that's where you're going at. I figured you should be free of burden for the following weeks since your long-awaited Engagement Party will be held soon. My guilt won't allow me to stay even if I wanted to, I am after all, the reason why it got delayed in the first place." I sheepishly said while scratching my cheek. 

 

I also shouldn't do much especially since I'm reaching the most vital part of the story. Nothing could go wrong here. Without an Engagement Party, there won't be a wedding and if there's no wedding then....I don't know anymore. 

 

"I just noticed this but why are you so adamant in our Engagement Party lately? Even before we reconciled, I heard from Trinity that you've been helping with the preparations behind the scenes and I just couldn't understand." 

 

I found her puzzled face cute and it made me smile just from that. 

 

"Take it as my way of making it up to the both of you. You both deserved that happiness you're getting from each other, I shouldn't of have done those terrible things before—"

 

She placed a hand on my shoulder and squeezed it, "Eury, it's all in the past now. We vowed to never talk about it again didn't we? Forgive and forget?" The Princess said, smiling too. 

 

She's right. 

 

"That's good to know then. I wish I could do the same thing for Itzel's stupidity." I said, breaking the ice. 

 

The Princess gasped at that followed by a loud giggle, "So the rumors were true? Commander Xerrion really did shipped your pet Chicken back to Archduke Ventis' Duchy?"

 

"I was just kidding when I said that the chicken's my new bff!" 

 

I really was! Then the next thing I know, the chicken was already missing in my County and it would still take one to two business weeks to ship it back because at this time of the year, Harbor Towns get busy from receiving the exchange of goods between North, East, South and West. 

 

"Bff?" The Princess asked, still suppressing her laugh. 

 

I stopped and looked away. I can already start to feel the heat rising to the tip of my ears, "Best friends forever." 

 

What?! Explaining her a word from my world is embarrassing! It got shortened for a reason! It was cringy and uGh yes I still use it but so what?

 

That's when I heard her laugh as if she's not seeing tomorrow's sunset. Wait, have I been this funny? Is this a side-effect of always tagging along Jeong and Moon-unnie's corny asses? 

 

But, seeing Mina laugh like this felt so nostalgic and I just can't help but break my visage and laugh along with her. 

 

"Oh, Eury since when did you took such lessons from Jade? Should I make a mental note not to let her near you?" Oh please if Lord Jade—is the same with my Jeongyeon-unnie, I'd rather be the villain than laugh at her jokes. I don't know! It felt illegal to! Jihyo always judged me back then.

 

I playfully rolled my eyes and scoffed, "More like a mental note to start considering putting a distance between Lord Jade and Marquess Trinity because from what I see they've been around with each other quite frequently." Probably because of Noble duties. 

 

I smiled when I heard the Princess giggled before she settled on a sweet smile, "Very well then, I shall issue a follow-up order for your shipment and see to it that your pet shall be safely delivered back to your County."

 

"My God, finally! Someone understood my pain here! Even Trinity gave me the looks when I told her about it." I muttered and flailed my hands. 

 

We both ended up laughing. It felt really great. I mean, yeah it still bothers me that the alternate-self of my girlfriend is going to be married to someone my character became close with. It's just, how do I put this? A breathe of fresh air? Yeah I think that's it. I never would've imagine Count Eury doing this in the Manhwa, she just became straight out evil in the remaining chapters. 

 

Our short-lived reunion got cut off the moment Terry arrived, telling us that the wagon is now ready. 

 

Once again, the Princess gave me the honor of seeing me off. I can see the worry in her eyes and I know she's just looking out for me. I don't need to read it further because I know how affectionate she is as a companion. I notice that whenever they get together. 

 

"Are you sure you won't stay?" 

 

Mom help she's really cute when she's doing that eye and lip thing of hers. I masked my flustered state with a smile and patted her head, ever so casually, forgetting the fact that she's the Princess. 

 

"I'd still politely decline." 

 

I had to bite the insides of my cheek when she subtly pouted, "Trinity would've expected you to be here." She reasoned. 

 

Oh. Hmm well of course. How can I forget the fact that the Princess really want us (Trinity and I) to rekindle the flame.

 

"I'm quite sure she will understand. She's more rational than that of Itzel." I sighed midway, "I still have to think of ways to kick that goon out of my house." 

 

The Princess released a chuckle at that, "You know, I never really knew how the two of you became such good friends. Commander Xerrion is one of the few people who chose to have indoor schooling, covering only the basics of what a Noble should know and do before getting in an academy exclusive for training future Knights." 

 

She's right. Though I know that Itzel, along with the Empress never really crossed with Princess Arizona's circle (well aside from the fact that the Empress is the Princess' cousin) because of different educational methods—I never really got to know how I met the two of them. 

 

"I take it as a story for our next meeting then?" 

 

Nice one Kim Dahyun! A smooth way of evading the topic. Now I have to think of ways to ask the buffoon how we met without offending her.

 

"That's a great way of looking forward to tomorrows then." 

 

We smiled at each other....way too long for my liking. If it weren't for Terry's interruption, we wouldn't of have broken that gaze. 

 

"I apologize for the delay. I wish you, your safety along the way." 

 

My heart warmed when she did the Nobles' greeting first and then her knights, handmaiden and butlers followed. It's going to be the second time we depart and this time, it felt more natural. 

 

After we bid her a good bye, I immediately opened the scroll I've been meaning to read the moment I received it. 

 

Dear Count Eury,

 

You were right about a rising group named Da Maso but they were nothing but heroes here. Everywhere we go from South to West, back and forth, the townsfolk always praise them for their deeds, such as saving a group of minority from Imperial Knights who were harassing them, give support to those aspiring business thinkers, helped formulate the growth of crops using non-mana driven techniques and even helping them voice out their opinions on certain matters. However, your mission for us didn't go in vain for as we travel, we were able to meet merchants who were willing to tell us more details about this certain group. 

 

Imperial Knights? There are still Polis-like Commanders out there? Wait, non-mana driven techniques in farming? Isn't that Viscount Jeffrey's idea? I mean as much as he was an , he still is one of our Kingdom's pride when it comes to agriculture so it isn't hard not to recognize his patents. Does this mean that the Kingdom of Zest already made use of his intel even before the attack during the Alumni Gathering? Just how long was he in contact with them then? This is bad. Da Maso is playing the good guys while trying to ruin our Kingdom's reputation.

 

I made a mental note to inquire him about these things before continuing to read their letter.

 

For starters we know that they are currently inactive. Ever since fall came, they were out of the public's eye and have only been supporting them from behind the scenes. The merchant also said something peculiar, it was about the excessive information gathering regarding the system of our Kingdom, Kingdom Eria. As you know already, our Kingdom isn't strict when it comes to our own nation's citizen so you may as well find it easy to cross the borders if you're from Zest but we can't say the same thing if we're from Eria. So I find it odd for the group to resort to such things when they could just cross the border and experience our ways.

 

Hold up, did they said fall? If so then that's around the time Trinity proposed to the Princess then after that, subtle reports of Anti-Monarch groups started to take action, then it was the Seasonal Gathering where I got reincarnated. 

 

Having an Anti-Monarch group of people wasn't new, they were always there because as what they say, we can't please all of them so that's why such liberty exists. However, they never took action about it till fall and that's an oddly convenient coincidence. 

 

After much digging, we found out that the group consists of infected individuals whose life is tainted with black magic. This is probably the reason why they cannot cross the borders as Lord Drakös and the Head Master Gonsalves worked together 50 years ago to build a strong barrier that prevents black magic to pass through. Apparently the group also receives support from a few of their nobility, identities we are still trying to find out. 

 

Black Magic? Those things still existed? 

 

I stopped reading for a moment and just let my thoughts take over me until I reached a certain idea that I immediately shook off.

 

"No, no, Dahyun you can't do that. Black Magic may have a variety of ways to contact the Goddess or perform a ritual but there's a reason why the Empress banned its practice. Every grant has its own price and I can't risk anything as of the moment." I muttered under my breath. 

 

This was already too much information and it was way out of my expectations. Sure I've read the Manhwa but it was only insinuating them as a normal, massive group of Anti-Monarchy citizens who aims for a Coup d'etat. 

 

"Master, are you alright?" 

 

Oh shoot! I forgot Terry's here. 

 

I was thinking of ways to find excuses but I found none, then I realized that if I'm going to fight a large-scale battle like this then it would be better to find more people to confide with and Terry's the first person I can trust here. 

 

"Terry what do you know about Black Magic?" 

 

It wasn't a surprise to see him taken aback by my question. It was, after all, a taboo subject. 

 

"I don't know much about it but from our country, Decroit, it is something that is banned from practice." 

 

I sighed. Figures. 

 

"But I heard the elders once that Black Magic is a variant from Zestria's Royal Family Mana." 

 

I froze when I heard his statement. Am I hearing this right? Black Magic came from this nation? Specifically one of the Royal Family's mana? 

 

"The Royal Family?" 

 

Terry nodded, "Aside from the rulers, the de Zestrias, we also have the Forestieres in our Kingdom and the Faunillan from the Kingdom of Zest."

 

The Empress is the only child so that means she has no other direct family aside from her cousin, the Forestieres which consists of King Aristle, the late queen Mairen, the 1st Princess Arizona, the 2nd Princess Megara, and the only Prince, Prince Azure. 

 

Megara only has 2 years of gap with the Princess but she's not into publicity that's why she's always in the Palace doing her job in the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. 

 

This is the only thing I know about the Royal Family here. The Faunillan's? I have zero knowledge. Surely it won't be hard to find information about them. 

 

"Please arrange all books regarding the Royal Family in my office by morning. I need it for investigation. I am not a hundred percent sure now but Terry, soon we will be fighting with incredibly strong individuals with, with the use of black magic and I want you to be prepared by then. Engage training with Itzel even if she's annoying and I'll do my best to strengthen our defenses." By the time I said my last words, I was already thinking of a draft to propose during the next Council Meeting and if time is cruel by then, I'd have no choice but to try and convince the Empress directly.

 

"I won't pry but know that you have my full support Master." 

 

I was reassured with that. A lot of things have happened, everything was so fast-paced and it's just concerning to think that a lot will still happen from here on out. 

 

I looked back at the scroll and read the final paragraph.

 

However we were able to find out about the people they refer to as insiders. They are functioning nobles in our Kingdom, three including Viscount Jeffrey Hester, their new recruit while the other two nobles are unknown. As of now, we wish for your safety Count Eury and we congratulate you for your success in your trial. Things are secretly moving here and we will keep an eye on that. By then, I hope this message finds you as soon as possible. 

 

I rolled back the scroll and sighed. At this point, having a mana—magic is really useful and I can't just rely everything on the High Priestess. I also need to do my part. 

 

Ah! How about listing down Count Eury's life in a timeline-like draft? Mhmhm yeah I should do that. I think in that way it'd be easier to identify who capped her Mana.

 

"Hmm? Why are the townfolks hurdled together. Is there a feast or something?" I asked once we entered the second town from the Palace. 

 

I didn't mind it back at the first town since I thought that maybe it's just because of what happened but this, is already different.

 

Their loud chatters entered the wagon and it's a mixed of surprise, glee and astonishment. Surely it's not about the attack. Did some celebrity passed by? 

 

"I apologize Master but I too have no idea what the commotion is all about." 

 

Their excitement shot through the wagon and it looked like everyone went out of their houses to talk to each other. I wonder why? 

 

My thoughts about the content of the scroll made me doze off but it was something short-lived since we have arrived already in my Estate. It was almost past midnight when we did and the Imperial Knights are still guarding my place. It must be the Empress' doing. 

 

I don't mind though. I do need an extra layer of protection right now. 

 

I yawned when I got out of the wagon with Licht helping off. Something to remind me how I hated all of Count Eury's dresses. 

 

The moment I entered the front door, all of my staff greeted me with enthusiasm and a mix of worry and hesitation. 

 

"Greetings Count Eury! Welcome Home." 

 

I smiled warmly at them followed by an unintended yawn. Gosh I'm still really sleepy. Curse Eury and her body clock. 

 

"I want to hit the hay right now. We will talk in the morning. I'm sure all of you needed rest too so please, dismiss your work early and have some rest." I said and turned around. 

 

"But Count Eury—" Blanche tried to talk.

 

Now I know Blanche is the most hardworking of them all but even she should rest too.

 

"I'm not accepting any excuses Blanche. Please rest. I'll see you all in the morning." 

 

"Master if I may—" Hoh? What's this? Onyx joining in a conversation? I mentally smirked at that but that doesn't mean a second voice would convince me. She's a hardworking fella too!

 

"Yes you too Onyx."

 

"Count Eury, there is something we should—" It was Madame Hayle this time and I know better than to listen to her right now. She's a great persuader!

 

"Yes, yes we shall. By morning!" I semi-yelled as I walked away from them, completely missing the looks on their faces as I ascended the stairs.

 

I did my evening routines and changed into my pjs. Yes pjs because I kept on complaining about a dress-like sleepwear to Myrll before and I didn't know she would spend a night making sets of these. I couldn't be more happy! It's really comfortable and it's making me miss my dear cousin more. 

 

I sluggishly crawled on top of my bed before pulling the sheets out. This is what I need right now. A good rest with my warm bed with a scent like no other. Wait scratch that, it's a familiar scent and I've learned to secretly love it during my stay but why would it be so vividly imprinted on my mattress? 

 

I lazily opened one eye and hugged my pillow closer, yep totally not my scent and—hey did Hayle changed my pillowcases to pink? I caressed the pink streaks and realized that it's a strand of hair. 

 

Why would I have—

 

I froze when my mattress moved. Yes, it moved! 

 

"Eury? You arrived already?" 

 

My body went cold and my eyes looked like it's going to bulge out of its sockets any time soon. The voice was a bit hoarse but the its pitch is still on point. I'd recognize it in a heartbeat! 

 

and unfortunately I was right when the person underneath me pulled the duvet out of her face. 

 

WHY IS THE EMPRESS IN MY ROOM! 

 

Out of shock, as if electrified, I wasn't able to move and that gave her the opportunity to snake her arms around my neck as she caressed my nape gently. 

 

"What took you so long? Tell me if the roads are getting bumpy, I will issue a national order to fix all the roads." 

 

I'm still in shock of her presence that I wasn't even able to retaliate at her proposal. What the heck is she doing here! My mind is not working properly! The cogs were about to stop and rest but then I saw her! Too close for my dear Lord's heart! 

 

I jumped out of the bed and rolled out of the sheets, creating a huge sound. It may be a late reaction but who is anyone to judge my situation right now? Who would even be in their right mind to function when you're about to sleep but then suddenly an insanely attractive gorgeous, oh so gorgeous person turns out to be the so-called mattress you crawled all the way up! 

 

THE SHAME I'M FEELING RIGHT NOW IS OFF THE ROOF! 

 

This is the Nation's ruler we're talking about! I could get beheaded at any moment! 

 

"W-W-What are you doing in here Your Majesty!" 

 

The Empress squinted her eyes as she slowly sat up, robe loose and the right side is actually falling, showing her glistening shoulder blades. 

 

"Just so you know our golden rule is still active." She stated with a smirk. 

 

A SMIRK IS THE LEAST FORM OF RESPONSE I NEEDED RIGHT NOW. 

 

I immediately covered my mouth, "Savina! I said Savina!" 

 

The Empress' entrancing giggle filled the room and when she stood up, letting her majestic pink hair fall on her bare shoulders. I almost lost my sanity. 

 

"What do you mean? I'm simply waiting for your return." 

 

She said it ever so casually but it's not actually answering my—well it did in a way answered my question but that's not it! 

 

"What are you doing here?! Outside of the Castle? How—" I was lost with words. The Empress was known for not being able to show her face in the public, not even once. For all I know they thought that it's an Emperor that's leading them. Only a few nobles were given the chance to see her. Even Trinity said it so. 

 

Her existence was there but they weren't blessed with her image. The Empress preferred to stay indoors, she never fancied any types of gathering and never once attended any social parties. I know because of my time as her Royal Adviser, I was able to know a piece of her. It was quite easy, given that she blatantly throws away every piece of invitation sent to her and when she decides to take a stroll in the Capital City, she would use high-grade transfiguration magic and is able to mask her presence to blend in. 

 

WAIT IS THIS WHY THE TOWNFOLKS WENT CRAZY?!

 

Then her face fell serious, "When I heard about what happened, I rushed here. The nobles in the meeting tried to keep it away from me for the next two hours but those fools can't trick me. I knew something was up and when I forced them to tell the truth I was furious.." 

 

Of course she was, of course! I actually felt fear for those nobles. God knows what this woman did to them. She probably gave them new traumas to dream at night. 

 

"Things were actually settled the moment I heard the full story from Commander Xerrion, Marquess Gureistone and Lord Drakös."

 

They were there? Oh right because they had to fly there using Lord Jade's true form. They were settling the case but I didn't know it had to be in the Imperial Castle. It's quite far from here. 

 

Wait it is far from here!

 

"H-How did you get here so fast? It would at least take more days of travel." 

 

The Imperial Castle is an isolated humongous area found at the top of a mountain located at the center of this Nation which mean it is on the other side of the map from Selsi. Just how did she got in here so fast?

 

The Empress raised an eyebrow, "I thought you knew about this?" She asked before bringing her forefinger out and gestured it in a circular motion, forming a swirling hole with pink-blazing edges.

 

"A p-portal?" 

 

She cutely nodded before crouching in front of me. 

 

"However I can only make way to places I'm familiar with may it be by map or by memory and since I don't go out, I do rely on visual knowledge about the place. Selsi is not quite the place I imagined that's why I got transported in the middle of a bustling town near here. I had to wait for two whole hours for my stupid Knights and a carriage to cross through the barrier. Seriously they're such a handful aren't they?" 

 

This—! This woman! Just appeared out of nowhere in the middle of the city loooking like this and she expect them to continue on with their usual? I knew it! They were clearly enchanted! She caused a ruckus just by her presence. 

 

I actually just blinked, still quite too shock to respond this time and she took it as a cue to continue talking. 

 

"Marquess Gureistone told me you were in the Palace and I was right not to tear that place down." What she said gave me chills and I abruptly stood up at that. 

 

"Then why here of all places? Why my County?" 

 

She slowly stood up and placed a finger on my throat, "It's because I know you're going to return no matter what. Analyzing the attack, I've learned that you already considered such things were bound to happen given your reputation and that you already took precautionary measures against it. If Chantal and Arizona didn't understood either of those then it's clear why you've returned." 

 

It's.. actually true. How did she know that? I returned because I see no reason for such protection when I clearly made my ground and showed them I am capable. 

 

I finally let out a breath when she walked away from me and back to the bed, "I still have things to tell you now don't I?" 

 

I was gasping for air—literally who wouldn't when she took it all away when she went near me! I've been vocal (internally) how beautiful she is but sometimes words do her no justice. This is quite unfair isn't it?! 

 

"Of course, I—It's about your mother." 

 

It's our deal after all. 

 

Oh the fear I felt when she patted the area next to her. No Kim Dahyun! You have to stay strong! You can't let this woman charm you! She's still the Empress for goodness sake. 

 

I cleared my throat as I settled on a one-man couch across her, ready to listen.

 

Well yeah but the Empress is not making it easier when she crossed her legs with such fierceness before propping her elbow on her knee and looked at me with all of her appeal. 

 

I gulped. 

 

Did I somehow offend her? 

 

"My mother didn't have any blood of a Nobility and yet she was able to bear a child and you know how big of a deal it was back then." 

 

I certainly do. I did a lot of reading about History and how the 'Almost' Civil War happened if it weren't, primarily, for the North who helped control things. 

 

So basically what happened was, the previous Emperor had two sons and the younger one was the Empress' father. Although the Crowned Prince was already set to inherit the throne, things can still change depending on the Noble Society's favor while the Emperor will have the final decision regarding the matter.

 

Let's just say the Nobles' opinions really mattered back then. 

 

Now, regarding the pregnancy—because the Royal blood is strong, usually the women who are able to carry such genes were all powerful and at least should have an equal mana enough to carry their offspring. 

 

and from basic biology 101, a trait such as a 'mana' would even be more powerful as generations go by. 

 

So the fact tha

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter