Alumni Gathering

Manhwanism
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Characters (so far):

Head Master Naomi Gonsalves - Im Nayeon

Lord Jade Drakos - Yoo Jeongyeon

Count Freyseia Sullivan - Hirai Momo

Princess Arizona Forestiere - Myoui Mina

Count Eury of Selsi - Kim Dahyun

Count Myrll Rioca - Kim Minju

Sir Terrence Lockwood - Kang Taehyun

DAHYUN's POV

I was peacefully sipping tea while watching the construction unfold as the renovation of the house fastly progresses and was also planning what precautions I'll tackle, as well as the steps I'll take next when Myrll appeared in my line of vision. 

 

"Greetings Count Eury." She greeted formally and handed me two wrapped parchment papers. 

 

"You received two mails. Both are important that I can't just look at it as per your instructions." Myrll said. 

 

Ah I do remember in the story where Eury instructed Myrll to read and sort all her letters. 

 

Oh what the f 

 

"One is from your father, requesting your presence at the Quarterly gathering held at the Manor. While the other one is an invitation for the upcoming Regulus Academia Alumni Gathering hosted by the Head Master Gonsalves." Myrll reported. 

 

She didn't even need to open the letters to know what's written inside. Damn she's precise. All it took was for her to look at the sender's information.

 

The first letter I read was from Eury's father. It specifically states that I should and must be the one to attend the gathering held at the end of next month. 

 

Hnggg I don't know man, I'm still a bit cautious with Eury's father. I don't want to die early. Myrll must've saw my distraught face that she decided to interject my thoughts.

 

"Should I just burn the letter like the usual?" 

 

Burn the letter? Eury you sly fox. 

 

"Hmmm no. Just keep it." 

 

I may or may not change my mind so might as well keep it. 

 

Myrll smiled before bowing once again, "Lately you've been a woman full of surprises my dear cousin." 

 

Now off to the next letter.

 

"I'm quite surprised they still invited Eury despite what she attempted to do back then." 

 

I was brought back to my senses when Myrll displayed a rather much confused look on her face.

 

"I, I mean I'm surprised they still invited me in this event. I kind of suspected the opposite given my actions last time." 

 

I knew Eury was still invited in the original story line and I can't belp but wonder just how was she invited in this Gathering but not at the Seasonal Gathering? 

 

Nevertheless, it was my—Eury's fate to go to attend this Alumni Gathering since it's also the last turning point of Eury's image. I remember she was the reason why a group of Anti-Monarchy fighters were able to infiltrate the event. I believe their goal was to make an uproar as to call other silent Anti-Monarch citizens to join the movement. 

 

I drew a long sigh before diverting my gaze elsewhere. 

 

If that's the case, is it better if I shouldn't just go? That way Eury won't be blamed for everything since she's not even there. But then again, I need to make quick amends with Trinity for me to have a clue or an idea how to get back to my world where my girlfriend is waiting for me.

 

"I'll go." I finally said.

 

"Hmm, wow it's the first time you actually said that with such disinterest." 

 

I just shrugged in response, feeling already tired with everything and it hasn't even started yet. 

 

"Does it mean, I'll have to wear tight corsets and long gowns with crinoline petticoat?" I asked. 

 

Myrll looked up from her clipboard and glanced to the side, confused at the question, "Yes..?" 

 

"It's uncomfortable." I groaned. 

 

"But you've always wore dresses like those before. What's the difference now?" She asked, putting down the clipboard to focus all her attention on me. 

 

"I grew up you know? Just realized it." I reasoned, not really bothered if Myrll buys it or not. 

 

I'm quite busy thinking how to prevent that incident from happening. The Gathering is in 3 days and by then, I should have a solid plan. 

 

Myrll got quiet so I averted my gaze and saw her thinking deeply, as if hesitating to say something. I was about to ask her what's wrong when I remembered something. 

 

"Oh that's right! Myrll you sew right? Do you have anything that I might like? Don't worry I won't ask for a cousin discount." 

 

I remembered, Myrll whipped up a last minute dress for Eury when the diehard supporter of Marquess Gureistone from the Nobles' Society ripped up her outfit. 

 

I wonder if Myrll can still do it now that there's no pressure. 

 

"How.." She cleared her voice, "How did you know I like making dresses?"

 

Wait she does? I thought she's just an overly talented individual who can do almost everything. I didn't know she liked it so much, besides I was just taking a leap based on the information I gathered from the Manhwa. 

 

"Uhhh I don't know. Call it a cousin's instincts?" 

 

Our conversation was cut off when Terry suddenly appeared from Myrll's back. 

 

"Greetings my Lady, I've finished the job you asked me to do." He begins, perfectly executing the nobles' bow with two fingers over the chest. 

 

"I see. What did you find?" 

 

Terry didn't proceed with his report and instead glanced to his side where Myrll is standing. They seem to be engaged in a staring contest before Myrll spoke. 

 

"You shouldn't worry about my presence. I'm the Count's right hand man so anything that involves the House or its vicinity, that I have the right to know." 

 

Don't tell me those two don't see each other eye to eye? Ughhhh how come I haven't thought of that! 

 

"It's okay Terry, you can proceed." 

 

Terry didn't hesitate and bowed once again, "I apologize my Lady."

 

I just raised my hand as a sign for him to continue, a gesture I learned from the books. 

 

"Very well then. The area is pretty much covered with wild animals, very specifically snakes. It needs a lot of renovation and cleaning for it to be safe to other—"

 

"No." I cut him off.

 

"—No?"

 

I smiled before standing up, "Myrll how big is my land?" 

 

"You have an entire village in your hands Count Eury." 

 

I knew it. 

 

"And yet this house is not that big compared to Royal and other Noble estates. Why is that?" I asked once again. 

 

"You bought this land at a very cheap price because Selsi is the only place that doesn't have a city in it. It was known to be a habitat of dangerous creatures." Myrll replied. 

 

"Exactly! There are still a lot of things to discover in the entirety of Selsi." I said. 

 

"You confuse me My Lady." 

 

I started walking with the two of them following close by.

 

"It means that small Circles, Orders or Parties would soon encounter this place and might steal its glory without us knowing about it. Is it better if we just leave the animals alone and find someone who can manage those animals instead?" I proposed. 

 

"Hoh, I see where you're going now." Myrll answered. 

 

"Thank you for enlightening me My Lady."  

 

Err I guess I have to get used to Terry's formal tone and way of addressing me.

 

"So do you have someone in your mind right now Count Eury?"

 

Do I? Of course I do! 

 

By the power vested in the Manhwa, "I appoint Onyx Safriyel as my next staff!" I announced which made the both of them stop and bulge their eyes out. 

 

Can't blame them though.

 

"But Eury! Onyx Safriyel is a—"

 

"Yes, so what?" 

 

"How will you convince the Head Master for that? May I remind you that you're in her bad side after trying to bring down the Marquess countless of times."

 

Of course Myrll has to remind me of that. 

 

"The more reason to attend the gathering then." 

 

And just like that I spent the remaining days planning for the Alumni Gathering. 

 

The dress that Myrll made for me wasn't that different from my usual ones but this time it's more comfortable, a long back red dress with sleeves that has the same cloth and color as with the stocking I'm wearing. 

 

We were on our way to the Gathering when I spotted the group that I've been meaning to find. I was about to go my own way of searching for them once I get an opportunity to sneak out of the gathering even for just a moment. 

 

"Stop the carriage at once!" I immediately said and didn't wait for the carriage to fully stop as I already made my way out with such haste. 

 

"Count Eury/Master!" Myrll and Terry called.

 

"Hey! You guys! Hey wait up!" I yelled, not minding the amount of people looking at me right now. 

 

Successfully they stopped and I was also abruptly stopped when the big guy from their group blocked me with his axe's side profile.

 

"What is your purpose?" The mid-age man asked. 

 

Terry immediately kicked the Axe away and went in between us. 

 

"You are in front of Count Eury of Selsi! Show your respects!" He said.

 

Wait why is this so nostalgic?

 

The group looked at each other and before they can even reach a conclusion, the girl in the middle stepped forward and did the Nobles' bow half-assedly. 

 

"Ah so this is the infamous evil Count I've heard." She started with a smug face.

 

Tch. If only I don't need you, I would've just ignored you. Oh well let me put up with you for a while then.

 

"I am honored to be of importance to you that you were able to remember such details." I countered, also not forgetting to shoot her a smirk.

 

"Our Count wishes to talk peacefully. Please put away your weapons." Myrll said this time, tone quite serious. 

 

"I see." The girl snapped her fingers and looked at the big guy, "Oro please put it away." 

 

The big guy unhesitatingly put it away and even stepped back to give us the space we need. 

 

The girl crossed her arms and looked at me, "So? What's your deal."

 

I can see that Terry's about to act and so I raised my hand to stop him from disciplining this child. 

 

"Chloe Zonnes, I heard that you're planning to travel and even cross the borders to collect rare materials for your future shop." I directly said.

 

I'm tight with the time right now. So it's better to have a direct and straightforward conversation as to not waste any more of our precious time.

 

She and the rest of her group were surprised at my sudden claim. Of course, no one knew it but them but luckily for me, this is my second life. 

 

"You..How do you know that?" 

 

Binggo. I got her! 

 

I smirked and continued, "You're planning to enter the Kingdom of Zest aren't you? They are, after all a Kingdom rich with minerals." 

 

"And unless you have a good connection with the High Nobles or Royal Family, you can't just get inside without a definite purpose." I didn't gave her a chance to reply.

 

With a mere 30 seconds of staring contest, it looks like Chloe was able to decipher what I'm coming at. 

 

"What do you want Count Eury?" 

 

There it is! 

 

I happily turned to Myrll and signalled her, "I've brought the thing you wanted me to steal, My Lady." 

 

I rolled my eyes at Myrll's remarks, "Come on I told you it's not stealing! I'm just borrowing it!" I reasoned.

 

Despite the short quarrel, Myrll gave me the box. I needn't to open it and directly gave it to Chloe. 

 

"I need your party to gather the information I need from the Kingdom of Zest." 

 

Chloe looked at me as if I'm kidding then she turned to the side, rolling her tongue in her cheek, thinking about it. Then I can't help but notice a unique bright blue gem attached on her earring. I wasn't able to dwell on it longer as she faced me once again, still hesitant she opened the box I gave her and widened her eyes at what she's seeing. 

 

"It's the Von Strauss Pass. A slim plated gold bar with the Von Strauss family symbol embedded on it." Myrll explained. 

 

Chloe looked up, "Are you serious about this? The Von Strauss family is very powerful and has been known for being the Empire's strongest Archduchy. We can die just from using their name!" 

 

I gulped. Yep another danger route!

 

I cleared my voice and looked away, "It's... It's mine. Just use it as you will. They won't kill us for this." I said but in reality, I'm putting my life on Terry's hands. 

 

God forbid the Von Strauss Archduchy can find us that fast. At least let me take in Onyx! 

 

Chloe took the pass and examined it. 

 

"Clo, this is the real deal. It's weight and high quality texture is enough for me, a weaponsmith to confirm its identity." The other guy who's been quiet ever since, spoke. 

 

"You can have the pass and then I'll take the information." I proposed.

 

In the end, I was able to convince Chloe with much thinking, "We have a deal then." 

 

Chloe whistled and a black and white bird appeared from the sky. 

 

"This is Rego, my messenger. Give him a piece of your blood and he'll know wherever you are."

 

What the heck? Is this how old times get others' contacts?

 

I sighed before using the knife she offered to cut my finger open. 

 

"I see to it that your trust won't go in vain." Chloe said before the rest of them did the Nobles' bow properly.

 

After that we bid our goodbyes and continued our journey to the Alumni Gathering

 

"My Lady." 

 

My coachman took off his hat and bowed at me along with Myrll and Terry who already got off ahead. 

 

"Thank you Licht." I said and smiled at him before he went back to the front and led the carriage to its designated place.

 

Today is the day of the Alumni Gathering and I can already sense a lot of trouble from here on out but its intensity level would depend on how I work this whole thing out.

 

After taking a deep breath, I approached the main entrance and smiled at the announcer. He was a bit awestruck with me and my choice of clothing but nevertheless did his job well in announcing the names. 

 

"Cou—"

 

He stopped when I held his elbow and leaned in. He wasn't quite shocked when I requested it so it seems that many have already done this before. 

 

He cleared his voice and started again, "Count Eury of Selsi along with her Right Hand Maiden and Left Hand Man, Count Myrll Rioca and Sir Terrence Lockwood." 

 

Myrll jus smiled at me while Terry didn't broke a single emotion but was looking with his head held up high. 

 

We walked inside with the oh-so obvious set of eyes looking at us, some, I can feel is even glaring at me. I kind of knew I'd receive this kind of treatment and the only thing I can think of is flash a smile that Mina, my girlfriend loves. 

 

We reached an empty table, situated at the middle part of the room, quite isolated from the other guests and for med it's better this way.

 

"Wow, if looks can kill." Myrll muttered. 

 

I just chuckled as I sipped the wine served at the table. 

 

"Shall I dispose these eyes My Lady?" 

 

Myrll and I choked. 

 

I've been so comfortable with Terry that I almost forgot he once defeated a troop of 60 with just his bare hands. 

 

I immediately waved my hand in front of him, "It's fine! It's fine Terry. Let them be." 

 

I say that with a smile and yet I can't bring myself to roam my eyes around. Maybe because as Kim Dahyun who is well liked and excels in almost everything, seeing those disappointed looks is still quite new to me and I'm having a hard time adjusting with that. 

 

"Eury don't turn around." Myrll suddenly whispered. 

 

And as a 21st century person, I discarded the warning and indeed turned around....well I instantly regretted it because standing at the main entrance are no other than the main characters of this story. 

 

"1st Princess of Kingdom Eria, Princess Arizona Forestiere with her betrothed, the master of the Gureistone House, Marquess Trinity Gureistone." 

 

Oh.

 

They walked in with Mina—Princess Arizona holding unto Trinity's arm. Everyone was doing the Royal bow as the Princess and Marquess walked pass them and I can't help but notice the slow motion of their steps as they near me and not to mention the rising tension in the atmosphere with everyone, once again looking at me. 

 

Ah. They're probably thinking that I'm going to throw a fit or something. 

 

However, I am not Eury...I am Kim Dahyun and such behavior is not acceptable no matter how hurt I am.

 

I diverted my and did the Royal bow which seem to cause a spark of chatter. I slowly looked up and saw Marquess Trinity's genuine smile directed at me and god knows how much I tried not to look at the Princess but I failed. 

 

She was just looking at me blankly and only just for a second before they proceed to their place at the higher bunk. Sigh. Even in such gatherings, one's social status still mattered huh. 

 

"You did good Count Eury." Myrll said.

 

Truthfully? I needed to hear that. 

 

I was thankfully distracted with my thoughts when someone called out our attention by tinkling the glass. 

 

"A great evening to everyone! I welcome you all to the Alumni Gathering of Zestria's Most Elite School, Regulus Academia!" It was the Head Master on a balcony along with her betrothed, Lord Jade with the usual mask covering her eyes and her bright green hair.

 

"I am very much pleased to see familiar faces who were able to share a part of their lives with us in the Academy. The purpose of this gathering is not only to celebrate the approval of the Royal Family and Bentis Archduchy for the expansion of the Academy but also for rekindling flames and building connection once again all for the sole purpose of having a United Country through education because what is a powerful and successful country without Unity and compassion for each other?" 

 

Hearing Head Master Naomi's words, I can't help but think if it was directed to Eury but then again I don't want to be an 'assuming' person. 

 

"Please, please let my message come through. Let us all try to get along with each other and end the night with a happy note." 

 

Yeah definitely not me. 

 

"Also may I congratulate the newly betrothed couple: Princess Arizona and Marquess Trinity! Both are Alumni from our very own. They started their romance in the Academy and look at them now." 

 

The room was filled with applause and cheers for their favorite Academia couple. I keep on reminding myself that it's not Mina, she's not Mina and Arizona was never Mina to begin with. 

 

"Yes, yes now speaking of our school's pride and joy, aside from these two we also have our current Top 1 graduate who conquered the field of Science in such a young age. Please help me welcome, Viscount Jeffrey Hester." 

 

A young looking lad who's around Myrll's age stood from a table a far and waved around, flashing his smile everywhere. 

 

"I will not dwell on this opening remarks longer. Please do enjoy the rest of the party and Glory to Zestria!" 

 

"Glory to Zestria!" 

 

I tore my gaze away from the two of them and focused my gaze instead at the entrances in this place. In the Manhwa, Count Eury was seen by the High Priestess, suspiciously looking around before leaving her table. Knowing that it's Eury, the High Priestess followed her and eventually lost sight of her. The High Priestess's testimony was the solid evidence directed at Eury for being the key and reason why the Anti-Monarch Group managed to slip in. 

 

"It was vaguely mentioned that Eury was statued and got so distracted when she went outside. I wonder what she saw back then. It never really mattered in the story." I muttered. 

 

"Myrll, Terry. You can now go to your assignments. Remember, please check the clock from time to time. I know it's a bit suspicious and unbelievable to take into consideration to, but please trust me in this." I whispered. 

 

"You have my loyalty and trust My Lady. I see to it that my assignment will be perfectly executed." Terry stated, reassuring me once again. 

 

I smiled and patted his head before he slowly walked away. 

 

"You're full of crazy ideas and bad decision making skills but somehow the air had changed and if there's one thing you're not, it's that you would do something to put the Princess in danger." Myrll replied and also bowed before walking away.

 

Terry was in charge of following and keeping sight of both Lord Jade and Head Master Naomi to immediately inform them about the attack if I didn't arrive back yet. 

 

While Myrll was in charged of looking for suspicious Guards and Staffs that might be an accomplice to the attack. 

 

"You're here." 

 

I turned around when I heard that familiar voice once again. 

 

"Greetings, Count Sullivan." 

 

Freyseia Sullivan—in the flesh! Damn she's really pretty! I also liked her for Trinity in the story, she's such a sweetheart and kind! Quite an MC material too!

 

She let me finish the bow first before she also placed two fingers over her chest and greeted me, "Count Eury." 

 

Wait....this is the first bow I've ever got aside from my current staff! I don't know why but it made me happy.

 

"....with you?" 

 

Oh I wasn't listening. 

 

"I apologize. I wasn't able to catch your words, the Count's beauty captured my eyes and ears that I wasn't able to properly hear it." I stated, smoothly maneuvering my mistake of not listening.

 

Surprisingly, she just chuckled.

 

Huh? Should'nt be she hostile against me?

 

"I was saying that I got surprised to find out that Count Myrll Rioca is still working with you." 

 

Ooohh right. Myrll is also part of the Nobles' Society and yet became my right hand maiden—surely that got her curious. 

 

"Yeah. I'm really thankful of her for staying by my side even if no one wanted to." 

 

Sht. I might've said too much. 

 

"I'm sorry I don't mean to offen—"

 

Count Freyseia stopped me with her hand and smiled, "Don't worry. I'm beginning to see light of your change and personality. We were never that close to begin with especially during our Academia years that's why I don't have that much opinion on you and also given the fact that I major in understanding human behavior, really helped me with patience." She opened.

 

Woah. I never knew Freyseia Sullivan majored in that. I guess I really am right when I said that there are still a lot of things in this world that wasn't given in the Manhwa. 

 

"I see." I genuinely smiled, releasing a sigh of relief.

 

Relieved that she's the first person I encountered this evening. 

 

"Finally I can breathe. Man did you see those stares? It's like they're going to eat me any minute now." I complained before sipping the wine once again. 

 

Count Freyseia looked at me for a second before she burst out laughing, "Wow I've never seen someone taking such death glares so lightly." 

 

I smiled before scratching my nape. Geez that wasn't meant to be a compliment but coming from a pretty lady it just—woah wait wait wait! Mina would kill me if she finds out about this!

 

I shook my head and subtly distanced my self, "Yeah I learned that the best way to not feel bad about it is just..well clown them I guess." 

 

"Clown?" 

 

Oh right. Stupid Dahyun. 

 

"It's like insulting or imitating them but in a rather—well usually— non-offensive light way." I answered.

 

"Look over there. That Marchioness with a balloon behind and a tower-like head." I said and directed her gaze at the woman just across my table. 

 

Count Freyseia almost laughed out loud if it weren't for her hand that's covering at the moment. With this I raised my eyebrow and amusingly looked at her.

 

"I haven't even started clowning yet." 

 

"It's because your description is so on point!" She countered and I can't help but also chuckle at bit. 

 

"See the way she laughs?" I said and when I got her attention, I cleared my voice and imitated her laugh.

 

"Hohohoho." 

 

Sure enough Count Freyseia's laugh echoed the whole room which once again made everyone look at me. Ha-ha oh god this wasn't what I was planning. 

 

"D-Don't worry everyone. Count Sullivan is just laughing at my cat who knows how to wash dishes." I awkwardly smiled and bowed in apology. 

 

I waited for

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter