Eury's Redemption Arc

Manhwanism
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Characters (so far):

Head Master Naomi Gonsalves - Im Nayeon

Lord Jade Drakos - Yoo Jeongyeon

Count Freyseia Sullivan - Hirai Momo

High Priestess Chantal Eustrige - Park Jihyo

Princess Arizona Forestiere - Myoui Mina

Count Eury of Selsi - Kim Dahyun

Count Myrll Rioca - Kim Minju

Sir Terrence Lockwood - Kang Taehyun

Count/General Itzayana "Itzel" Xerrion - Son Chaeyoung

Empress Savina Leigh de Zestria - Minatozaki Sana

Marquess Trinity Gureistone - Chou Tzuyu

It's my 4th day here in the Imperial Castle as the Empress' temporary Royal Advisor, yes temporary because that's the offer she gave that got me out of my hesitation. The next day after I agreed to that, was my very first day in work and I had to temporarily leave the household to Terry, where I had a hard time convincing him so. 

 

"I would like to oppose Master. I refuse to leave you alone unguarded! A bunch of foolish nobles might show hostility towards you again and that is unacceptable!" Was what he said.

 

In the end I managed to make him stay by agreeing of letting him go with Licht to fetch me from trial. Well, after my week-long temporary job as Royal Adviser, comes my trial as a Noble with too much offenses. 

 

Truth be told, I was and still as nervous about the upcoming trial but the Empress reassured me everything would be fine as long as I understand how Nobility works and how I can convince them with convicted-driven resolutions that I'm working on now as her Royal Adviser. 

 

First 2 days was just me caged in her Imperial Councilors den to criticize me—well there's that but at least I've learned how such a position works. It seemed easy but my first real day with the Empress proved me that it's not. 

 

"I need to be here My Liege! I spent 14 years of my life practicing the curriculum while Count Eury only had 2 days of train—"

 

"That's more than enough."

 

"But My Liege!—"

 

"She's the only one that I need. You are dismissed or shall there be a need of forced eviction, Cedrick?" 

 

Her old Royal Adviser stopped talking when the Empress raised her hand and kept on cutting him off, shredding patience everytime she did. I can slowly feel the tension rising and the Empress' expression shifting that's why I took courage and stepped in before it goes further. 

 

"U-Uhhh Your Majesty, I apologize for the interruption but I feel like I would be at ease if Sir Cedrick stays here in the Castle. I am still yet familiar with the job and would need his expertise for inquiries." I was looking down, doing the Emperor's bow the whole time. 

 

"Very well." The Empress then turned to Sir Cedrick, "Know that it is Count Eury that saved your job. Not that I really have a need for Royal Adviser unless it's Eury anyways." 

 

Terry was right with his investigations. Empress Savina's previous Royal Advisers don't really last long in here and was merely there for formalities that's maybe why the Royal Adviser before Sir Cedrick, only lasted for about 3 months before she gave up and became a Priestess in the Cathedral. 

 

This woman...she does whatever she likes to do with such liberation and as Royal Adviser whose sole existence was made for keeping her in place—she's definitely not making my job any easier!

 

1 whole week and these are the instances:

 

Situation number 1. 

 

The Empress had a meeting with Count Idetal's family, the one that scrutinized me—or more like the Count Eury in the Manhwa and was the reason why Myrll wasn't with me in the Seasonal Gathering where I got reincarnated as Count Eury of Selsi. His family asked for permission to put up their line of business in the north and the Empress was just not having it. 

 

I can feel that she was already pissed the moment his son presented the idea. Who wouldn't? When Count Idetal could've just asked for the Archduke of the North's permission to set up his goods. Problem was, he was denied. It wasn't a new scenario in here. I've read tons of materials concerning the high standards and blooming society of the North, the most prosperous place in Zestria that not even the South or the East and West in Kingdom Zest can compare so why is Count Idetal so adamant in getting the Empress' permission when the Archduke already declined it? 

 

"You are our last hope Your Majesty. You're the only other person who could allow for such things to happen. If this gets out, I am sure the South will gain much from it!" He insisted.

 

The Empress hummed, still scanning through thr parchment papers, "Hmm I don't know. Eury what do you think?"

 

And then suddenly I was placed on a pedestal. Hey! This wasn't part od the orientation! Her Councilors told me the Empress plays a one man game that despite having Sir Cedrick back then, she doesn't really care about their opinions. Count Idetal, his son and their Meister (equivalent to that of a Family Lawyer in my world) looked at me with both confusion and disgust. Well our last encounter wasn't that ideal so I kind of understand where he's coming from. 

 

I smiled sheepishly at them before leaning into the Empress' ears, "Your Majesty—"

 

I stopped when she abruptly turned to me and I can't help but get flustered at the sudden close proximity. 

 

"Now what did I say about formalities?" 

 

How can I forgot? That was indeed part of our deal! Inhaling sharply, I turned to her once more and said, "Savina, I abide with whatever your decision is." I started and paused. 

 

I took a moment to read his presentation earlier when they passed it beforehand for the Empress to read in advance (that didn't happen) and I must say, though he was a jerk, the idea wasn't that bad and it would help the people from the North. However...

 

"The proposal was the only thing done with much thought. I would suggest giving them a chance by revising their goals since it comes off to me that they're only leeching off the North's profit without actually considering the balance of its benefits. It states here on the 3rd page that the East will receive 90% of its proceeds, 5% will go to your family and the other 5% will be divided among the North's Nobles despite making them pledge a material of support as part of this agreement." 

 

There's a reason why the head of the North didn't accept this. Count Idetal's only ruining the East's image and that shouldn't happen because as much as Count Idetal's a jerk, there are still a lot of good nobles out there and first to that was East's leader, which was Archduke Ventis. 

 

Selsi is actually a land near the Kingdom of Erias, located in the borderline of North and East. I remember in the Manhwa that the reason why Count Eury bought that land aside from its cheap price was because it's much closer to the Palace where Princess Arizona resides but that's not the point here. 

 

"Count Idetal, I don't want to just reject a wonderful idea without at least trying to make it work and your project? It can really work there but just try and think in unity. There is no race between East and North or even Kingdom of Zest and Eria, we're all part of under one Kingdom and in unity, we pledge to the name of our Empire that we must also think of others and consider them as our own citizen. That's our oath as—"

 

I fan feel my face starting to burn again as I glanced to my side and saw how the Empress was staring intently at me with a smile on her face as if she's seeing a year-old baby taking their first steps. Oh but wait! I must've misunderstood her intention! There must be something dangerous behind that smile. I might of have offended her for speaking so boldly like this. 

 

Did I just crossed a line?

 

I panicked and didn't even finished my word to Count Idetal as i immediately did the Emperor's bow, fumbling.

 

"I apologize for that Your Maj—"

 

. She cleared . 

 

"—S-Savina. I didn't mean to cross my line. I got caught up with the moment and—"

 

"Eury, you have nothing to worry about. It's fine, mi vida. Keep it up." 

 

It was a mistake looking up to meet her gaze when she somehow called me a..pet name? Was I hearing that right? And the way she said it with such gentle power that I can't help but get flustered once again.

 

"Savina please re-refrain from blurting out such things!" I whisper-yelled at her in which she responded with a giggle, heavily confusing the Nobles in front of us. 

 

I shouldn't of have talked, I thought as I tried my best to avoid their gazes. 

 

Seriously I need to control my gay panic whenever I'm with this woman.

 

"What Eury said was correct. Count Idetal, I should also point out the fact that proved how incompetent you are as a Count that you didn't even know the Treaty between the North, the Kingdom and the Imperial Circle." 

 

I whipped my head back to her as I accompanied Count Idetal with their puzzled looks.

 

"W-What do you mean by that Your Majesty?" 

 

"Though still under my command, North is a place I also can't control. I would intervene and can use force on them but in small cases like these? You can forget about it." She said and shifted her gaze back to the parchment papers. 

 

Wait, really? I've always thought how powerful an Emperor is but this just go on to show that even though it's a monarchy type of government, she still values the decision of each faction given that they do their jobs well. That's quite impressive.

 

"However since Eury said all of that I will consider your—wait no. Nevermind. I shall reject your proposal."

 

My eyeels widened at the suddne shift of decision. Why? What happened?

 

"But Your Majesty! You were about to give us a chance." 

 

I noticed the rising hostility Count Idetal is showing that's why I stepped in and disturbed his view by leaning close to the Empress so that he can see me.

 

"Count Idetal may I remind you that you are in front of our Nation's ruler. One foolish word can get you beheaded by the trained Imperial Knights guarding outside this conference room." 

 

He looked at me with pure anger, gritting his teeth before his son helped him recollect himself. I glanced to my side and saw the Empress unbothered, losing interest at the parchment she's reading before she pushed it away from her, completely discarding it. 

 

"I apologize for raising my voice Your Majesty. I beg for your excellency to consider my request once more. I'm willing to change everything from scratch." 

 

The Empire is divided into four large areas: The North, South, East and West. Because of the mass and large areas Zestria has, the first Emperor decided to implement two Kingdoms: The Zest and the Eria, which he gave to his brothers to rule. Kingdom Zest being in charge of the South and West while the Eria, is responsible for the North and East. 

 

However, due to the North's strong conviction and the only one who fought for the 2nd Prince to be the Emperor that time, the Nation was saved from doom when they found out that the Crowned Prince was illegally smuggling in slaves and goods from other Nations which made the 2nd Prince the Emperor of that time and because of that, the North was granted independence of their own. 

 

Count Idetal couldn't escape this standpoint, he's either going to try and convince the North again or...well that's the only other option he got now that he pissed off the Empress. 

 

"Eury showed you consideration but your past actions placed her image in ruins. You are dismissed from this proposal Count Idetal, thank you for wasting my time." 

 

I scrambled when the Empress stood up and sashayed away. 

 

Situation number 2.

 

"Pardon?" 

 

My body almost screamed when the Empress suddenly encircled her arms around me and smiled, confidently and sweetly. 

 

"Let's go out."

 

My jaw literally dropped at her suggestion. It was so casual! As if this woman doesn't have 50+ parchments to read! 

 

I stepped away from her, "Your Majesty! You still have unfinished work plus it's dangerous for you to be outside without Imperial Knights!" I argued.

 

I heard her click her tongue her bopping my nose. YES bopping! As if I'm some kind of kid! UgHHHHG

 

"It's Savina for you and it's okay. Eury will protect me, that I'm sure." 

 

There it is again. That stupid familiar smile that's making me feel things and for a moment I can forget just how infuriating this woman can be. I didn't sign up as her bodyguard for god's sake!

 

She turned around and sat on her desk—ON THE ING DESK. She's only wearing her robe (as always) and when she sat there, crossing her legs and looking at me as if I just sinned (which I think I did! Because this is cheating! Mina would slap the hell out of me!) hell almost got out at how absurdly hot she is right now. 

 

"Hmmm Eury, won't you give me this chance this once? Don't you pity me always stuck here with nothing to delve into...unless you volunteer yourself?" 

 

I gasped at how straightforward she is! 

 

"I–I can't believe you just used that! That's underhanded!" I almost whined which made her laugh. 

 

"That one always works on you." 

 

I hate how right she is! Oh good lord if it isn't for this stupid garment and hairdo, I would've pulled my hair out of frustration right now. This woman is making me nuts!

 

In the end, I risked my string of life just to get her out of the Castle and let her roam around in the Capital City like a kid. She should be thankful for I tolerate baby-sitting back in my previous life.

 

Situation number 3.

 

"Your Majesty, this is my observation about the 4th Faction and their treasury state." 

 

Oh . 

 

I was able to take a quick look at Sir Bruno's report and saw how different it is from mine despite having the same content. I was slightly panicking, thinking the Empress might scold me for this different format. No one told me there's a Royal Format for these kind of things! Ooh those councilors are so going to get a piece of me, I can almost hear them laughing from here. Tsk. 

 

"Eury? What's wrong?" 

 

Ughhh I hate it when she casually throws that adoring tone. My knees just can't handle it. 

 

"I apologize Your Ma—" I cleared my throat, "Savina." I said, correcting myself before she crawls her fingers on my arm again. 

 

"It's just, my report quite differs from that of Sir Cedrick's." 

 

I was right when I thought about them ganging me up when Sir Cedrick subtly smirked while the Empress is not looking at him. 

 

The Empress read my report and hummed, "What's your reason behind this?" 

 

I was quite surprised to hear her say that. As Count Eury for almost 4 months now, I've never really heard anyone ask for my side of the coin. I have to admit, this is a refreshing start. 

 

Since the Empress was willing to hear my side, I will not let this go to waste that's why I held my chin up and gave her my reason. 

 

"It was entirely my fault for not 'listening properly' while the Imperial Councilors were talking Your Majesty..." 

 

Oh if I could wipe that stupid smug look on Sir Cedrick's face.

 

"..but I'd still do it this way if given the chance to freely write my report. It's because the format that the Imperial and Royal Councils came up with is really vulnerable. Manipulation can be made and if not checked thoroughly, a miscalculation is possible. This format of mine is corruption-proof and easy for the likes of Your Excellency who spends hours just checking every treasury reports." 

 

Huh they think they can fool me with this? Even if they thought me the official format of reports, I would still bring that subject up. I'm not someone who does my work half-assedly and even if I ought to take Literature in College, I do have a special place for Business and Accountancy, to the point of it being my second choice. 

 

"I have to admit that's quite hot of you." 

 

I released a sigh of relief as I took a bow, "Thank you Your—pardon?"

 

HOT?!

 

Right in front of Sir Bruno? Does this woman know no bounds?!

 

"Your Maje—S-Savina please focus on the matter in hand."

 

She giggled before throwing Sir Bruno's report. 

 

"I can't compliment my future half?" 

 

Future—ugh that's a really bold statement to make. I sighed as I pinched the bridge of my nose.

 

"Your Majesty if you may."

 

"Fine, fine." 

 

I swear, with the look Sir Cedrick is giving us, I can only assume the Empress is the one giving me these problems. 

 

"Y-Your Majesty! It is our mistake for not teaching Count Eury about the Empire's Treasury Report Format please allow us to correct it!" 

 

Astonishment took over my expression as the Empress suddenly changed her behavior, drawing out a sharp and intimidating aura that made her previous Royal Adviser sweat in just one look.

 

"The only thing that needs to be corrected is your flawed writing. Eury's right in all aspects and her indirect offer of giving me lighter loads by making the reports easy to check is the second best proposal one can ever give me, next to her future marriage proposal of course. Truthfully, I would say 'yes' right away if it weren't for her densely made structure." 

 

"Hey! I'm not dense I can also feel things too!' 

 

The Empress shrugged, "Point justified." 

 

"I cannot believe this Your Majesty! This rogue noble just allowed herself to indulge you informally! Such a behavior is not allowed especially for someone who's going to be Your Majesty's Royal Adviser." 

 

I feel like he shouldn't say that. I mean I'm fine hearing things like that, I can always rebut them with politely-masked responses but for them to openly say that to a Ruler who speaks no discrimination against everyone and provides equal and equity rights for her Nation. 

 

"Arguing is not my best form of communication and if we can't talk to reach a certain conclusion then I must do this the hard way." 

 

Sir Bruno's eyes widened when the Empress stood up, exuding eloquence and power. The Empress dusted off her robe before turning around to sit on her desk once again, making Sir Bruno take a few steps back before he immediately scrambled to bow on his knees, shaking. 

 

"I sincerely apologize Your Majesty! What Count Eury is suggesting, does that mean we are copying that of the North's way? The Imperial Castle holds pride over their own ways!" 

 

I jumped a litte when the Empress held Sir Bruno's face with her feet. 

 

"Stop being a frog in the well. I don't tolerate pests like you. Begone and never set foot in the Imperial Castle ever again. I'm quite in a good mood Bruno so I suggest not thrashing this chance to come out unscathed and alive."

 

I sighed, this time with a little nervous string, ringing in my veins. 

 

She turned around, dramatically sighing as she attempts to trap me in an embrace once again. This time I was faster and placed an adequate amount of distance before gesturing towards her unfinished work. 

 

"You being so oblivious about everything still doesn't change the fact that I want only you, remember that." 

 

I opened my mouth to say something but not a single word came out. Huh?? What does this woman even mean? Is she really rhat desperate to make me her Royal Adviser? Truthfully if she can implement my writing style for reports then I doubt she'd need one (a Royal Adviser). 

 

Situation 4

 

Hot. Hot. Hot and hotter. Haaaah. I wasn't expecting that at all!

 

We were on our way for Her Majesty's leisure time by the lake and mind you, it's her personal space and is heavily guarded unlike Archduke Ventis' place. Really heavily guarded to the point that 3 Cerberus is guarding all the entrances. I panicked and grabbed the Empress' hand only to get chases by it. I was already losing my breath when I heard the Empress laughing. Turns out those giant dogs only chased us because they thought I was playing with them and that they are happy to see me after a very very long time. 

 

Count Eury was one hell of a brave woman. 

 

"You shouldn't of have ran. They're such adorable creatures, they would still obey you even if you can't recognize them anymore. After all they were still pups the last time you saw them." 

 

I'm currently sprawled on Her Majesty's grandoise boat with her fanning me. I should be ashamed and embarrassed but I was running for my dear life back then and now I'm panting for air. 

 

"Adorable?! They can swallow me whole! and you not only have one of them but three! Yah tell me honestly, is this place off limits? Cause damn!" 

 

My mouth can't stop running and even previous slangs and tones from my previous world was leaked. I was worried she'd thought of me as weird but she just giggled as she leaned back and crossed her legs in an Empress-ly manner, staring at me as she finished it off with a confident look and smile. 

 

"I didn't know me getting chased by your dog would make you this happy Savina." I sighed and then widened my eyes again when I just casually called her by her name. 

 

"I-I mean Your Majesty! I didn't mean to offend you or something—eek!" 

 

I shrunk when the Empress lunged towards me.

 

"What is it?"

 

S.O.S! I'M STUTTERING! 

 

"I feel like you can't remember me. Why is that?"

 

Her question threw me off-guard but before I could eve oonfer on it further, I shivered when she crawled her fingers on my arm. 

 

"Shall there be a need of action to make you remember me, to remember us the way before?" 

 

Now see that's the problem. I can't rebut because she's right! But she'd find me suspicious for it and there's a high chance her attitude would flip.

 

"I sincerely apologize if I did any unnecessary actions that made you doubt me. Rest assured that I, for one is harmless and that you can trust me in this." I stated as I scooted a fair distance away from her, afraid that I might break my gay panic meter again. 

 

I mean who really wouldn't panic? When her robe, custom-designed each day, shows her c-cleavage and those alluring stares with her majestic pink hair aren't at all helping too.

 

However, as I've always said and emphasized, the Empress is not really making my job easy. 

 

She pinned me on my seat as she boldly sat down on my lap, making my body freeze as I shut my eyes close.

 

"It's Savina for you."

 

"Yes Your Majesty!—I-I mean Savina!" 

 

That afternoon, she talked and laughed a lot while my own body was left almost soul-less. I seriously need to get a grip of my self whenever I'm around her because she has this knack of destroying my sense without actually doing anything. Now I'm wondering if this is the reason why no Royal Advisers lasted in this Castle. 

 

Those were only some of the instances where the Empress challenged my ability to cope and made me somehow realize that I do easily get flustered despite my easy going nature who seems to be all neutral and calm about everything.

 

Now it's my last day of the job and tomorrow's my Trial. I have yet to learn what was the purpose of me becoming a Royal Adviser. The Empress wouldn't even be there since it's a Royal matter, not Imperial. Terry and Licht has already arrived earlier since it would take 3 to 4 days to reach the Imperial Castle from Selsi. 

 

"Your Majesty you need to—"

 

I stopped when she narrowed her gaze at me. It was supposed to be threatening but now it's just really giving me this weird feeling I can't express.

 

"S-Savina, you need to prepare for your Royal Meetings. The Prince from the Kingdom of Zest and Princess Arizona has already arrived 13 minutes ago." I cannot stress it enough. 

 

Yeah, can't say I didn't expect this. For the past week of working under her, I came to know how hard-headed she can be, has a bit of a temper, sulky and most of all cunning...and well a bit lazy too but that kind of laziness that doesn't affect how she runs this Empire.

 

"Why do I need to see my love rival? Why can't you just cancel it? Also, that perky Prince from Zest will just try and ask for my hand in marriage again. So annoying." I actually, literally choked and coughed at her response. 

 

This woman is really something else! Good thing I've read the whole rule book about what and Empress should be and so far—SO FAR she has never followed either one of those.

 

"Savina, y-you need to keep your personal feelings separated." I reminded her but she just clicked her tongue as reply.

 

I sighed when I realized that she's purposely slowing down her work as to avoid meeting the Prince from the Kingdom of Zest and Princess Arizona, her cousin and "love rival" 

 

Wait love rival—what the?! Don't tell me the Empress also likes Marquess Trinity? This is such a messed up love triangle!

 

"Eury there's a request for funds in Viscount Dellos line. Should I accept this or not?" 

 

I widened my eyes when she asked me that with such casual approach as if that Viscount's entire debt relied on my words alone. 

 

"Your Majesty—eek!" 

 

I flinched when the Empress tapped her nail on the table, producing an intimidating sound that almost made me give my knees up. Darn this! I couldn't get used to calling her with just her name! Even in Korea, calling one's name is a big deal unless the other person grants you the permission to call them by that but even if the Empress gave me hers, it's still a bit not..right for me.

 

"How about this? If you call me with honorifics once again, it would serve as a permission to kiss you as of an instant." 

 

The sweet smile accompanying that statement seemed so dangerous and I know I have put myself on a pavement made out of eggshells once again. 

 

I gulped when she blew me a kiss but I gathered my remaining strength for the day and went with it by grabbing that 'flying kiss' and tossed it elsewhere.

 

"Savina, what I'm trying to say is that Viscount Dellos' request should be keenly taken into consideration and I am not in the right place to execute that." 

 

The Empresss leaned back on her throne-like chair with a diamond serpent design wrapped around it, serving the head as its head rest. I chewed the inner lining of my cheeks when she crossed her legs and leaned her head unto her knuckles. 

 

"Why not? I'm just training you this early so that once we get married. You'll have a gist of what you can do." 

 

Oh dear Lord. This is the first and last time I beg of you to strip off my senses as of the moment because I am so going to lose it to this woman! 

 

I closed my eyes and drew in a huge breath while I heard the Empress giggling. 

 

"Savina, for the love of God, please—PLEASE go and prepare for your Royal Meeting." 

 

Don't get me wrong. The Empress is not irresponsible, she just loves to do all things her own way and as instructed by her Imperial Heads, I have to do everything by book and urge her to follow these rules—she's not making my job any easier. 

 

Finally she gave in and stood up. 

 

"Fine. Let's go." 

 

She was about to exit her chamber when I blurted, "Wait you're going to wear that?" 

 

But..well the handbook said that a formal garment must be observed in each important meeting and for the first Prince and Princess of each Kingdom to travel this far for a discussion then it must've been important. 

 

The Empress raised her eyebrow before her lips curled into a smile...or smirk whatever. I was just following the handbook for god's sake it's not that I don't—

 

"Why? What's wrong with my robe Eury?" 

 

I frowned when she used that appealing tone of hers. 

 

"I doubt the Prince can focus later." I muttered unfer my breath as I diverted my gaze elsewhere. 

 

"Hmm?"

 

"Nothing! I said it's time now so please p-prepare and fix your robe at least. I shall go first and get your arrival ready." 

 

I didn't wait for her response and immediately sprinted out of her chamber, closing the door behind me with heavy pants cause damn! I swear my blood pressure hasn't been the same since I got to know her. 

 

"Eury—"

 

"!"

 

"Pardon?"

 

I covered my mouth and suppressed a gasp when I saw Princess Arizona standing in front of me, hand suspended in the air. She looks like she's about to knock. 

 

"I apologize Your Highness!" 

 

Stupid stupid stupid Kim Dahyun! You're not in good terms with the Princess and now you've just yelled at her. Great!

 

Wait. There's no yell or anything. 

 

I looked up to see her darting her eyes elsewhere. It's like she's troubled but I don't know why. Come to think of it, it's been a while since we last saw each other, last time being in the Archduke's Villa. 

 

"Your Highness?" I called, with a bit of hesitation.

 

"I was about to ask what are you doing here but I guess the rumors are true just from the fact that you came out from my cousin's door." She started and truthfully I was avoiding her gaze because the last time I looked deeply into it....I got hurt.

 

I chose not to respond, giving access to an awkward atmosphere to take place. 

 

"About last time, I had some time to myself and...I have to apologize. I should've followed Frey's advice about consulting you first for a proper talk. Truth was I really didn't want to converse with you as much as possible ever again." 

 

What she said bit something inside of me but unlike before, I understood where she's coming from with that. Count Eury abused her emotionally and tried to mess her mind. Don't get me wrong, I pity Count Eury's character as a somewhat misunderstood second lead but it doesn't justifies her actions. Despite not having interactions, the Head Master, Frey, the High Priestess and the others loathed her because of what her attitude towards the Marquess and Princess' relationship. 

 

"I understand Your Highness." 

 

Princess Arizona shook her head, "I'm not accepting your apology yet. You were once my friend too Eury and it would be a shame to lose you completely. That's why I'm here, asking for a second conversation." 

 

Hope arose when she said that but also quickly vanished with her second statement.

 

"A conversation made possible if you are to withdraw from your position." 

 

I took time to observe her expression and surprisingly all I saw is worry. It's not the hostile one and definitely not and offensive approach. This was different and that I can say. 

 

However before I can even respond, a voice chimed in. 

 

"Stop leading her on my dearest cousin." 

 

I didn't need to turn around to know whose voice that belongs to, along with the arms that encircled around me the moment it spoke. 

 

I can hear Princess Arizona sigh as she did the Emperor's bow. Well, she may be the Princess, heir to our Kingdom but at the end of the day, she's still a subordinate of this Nation's ruler which happens to be the Empress, Savina. 

 

"I didn't know you'd still be interested in this meeting. For all I know, the moment you miss 15 minutes of it in, you won't go at all. Your Majesty, why the change of heart but not the change of clothes?" 

 

Oof that was lowkey a bar. 

 

The Empress just shot a brow, aura dominating with just an accompaniment of a smile. 

 

"You are blessed with my presence. Such a trivial clothing standard is not important. Besides, Eury said I look good in it." The way she finished that proclamation with a shrug ugh.

 

Wait what'd she say?

 

"Not true! I said it's distracting!" I defended, feeling the heat rush up to my face. 

 

"Oh so that's what you said earlier. Heh, same thing." 

 

The Empress just threw me a bright smile and truthfully I almost just can't handle it anymore. I wasn't able to retort to that and it frustrates me. 

 

I sighed as I shifted my gaze just in time to see the Princess looking at us with bewilderment in her eyes. 

 

"Anyways I thought I forbade you from calling me in a casual manner? You know I hate it when someone address me in such a way as if they personally know me. Relative or not." 

 

Liar! I'm not even allowed to call her, 'Your Majesty' anymore because of that damn threat. 

 

"My apologies, Your Excellency." 

 

I almost broke my neck with the abrupt turn I made, surprised at the nervous tone that came out of the Princess' response. I looked at her and noticed how she stood there with patience, grace and genuineness. 

 

Was that intimidating? Wait come to think of it, it's also my first behavior towards the Empress and now it looks like I'm getting immune to it. Maybe because I came to know her and she's actually a kind-hearted person despite being scary, cunning and dangerously attra—wait don't mind that. 

 

"Though I must correct you when you said I'm leading her on. This is actually for Eury. Giving up her position would mean that other Nobles would leave her alone, untouched. She doesn't have an allied House as of the moment. Trinity reached her maximum and Frey's not handling any household. If things go south, no one can defend her especially since I'm not allowed to interfere." 

 

Yeah, I've read that in a book here 3 days ago. It states that the Royal Panels cannot interfere with said trial unless they are directly involve. In this case, I should be even thankful to the Princess for not bringing up her subject. 

 

"Good for Eury or good for you? Arizona, you can't fool me. Once Eury got stripped off of her title, she has no power over you. You can't see her in gatherings, she isn't allowed to get near you or talk to you. All of which are convenient for someone who got hurt by her past actions. Emphasize on 'past' since you can't seem to understand such simple words lately. The Cathedral even gave her a second chance to redeem herself, why can't you?" 

 

Uhmm. I slowly took a few steps back as the two argued, heat rising from around us as their tension grow.

 

"That's not true. Though her actions were questionable and truthfully I do have a hard time forgiving her but that doesn't mean I don't try. I beg for you not to downgrade my struggles like that." Prince Arizona countered.

 

The Empress sighed, "You really don't understand do you? And here I thought you knew Eury better than anyone else considering you knew and got betrothed to her first." 

 

Princess Arizona furrowed her brows and looked at me, there I can see the longing and pain mixed in her eyes. What was that even for? 

 

"I thought I knew her too." She paused and looked back to the Empress.

 

"But I'm taking this chance to rebuild our relationship again." She professed.

 

The joy and relief I felt for that was unreal. It took me this far to bulge the boulder and surely I won't let that chance go to waste. 

 

"Go ahead. No one's stopping you but as your cousin, I'd like to remind you that you're betrothed and as an Empress in this Nation, I'd also like to remind you that polygamy is a crime." The Empress retorts with a smile, a dangerous one. 

 

I expected a rebuttal but Princess Arizona didn't respond anymore, putting her fist over her chest and took a bow muttering yet another apo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter