where can i find a woman like that? - [rival annyeongz]

Oh, Vicky! - Annyeongz one shot collection
Never in Wonyoung’s entire high school career has she been satisfactorily warm. She swears, the moment she became a high schooler she became way more susceptible to the cold. 



Even giving her little sister a hug doesn’t help her situation. 



“Shivering again?” Leeseo shakes her head when she pulls away from the hug. “Unnie, I know exactly why you’re always so cold.” 



“Really?” Wonyoung says. She swears, if Leeseo is able to figure out on her very first day of high school what she’s been struggling to accomplish for the past two years then she will throw a fit. 



“Yes.” Leeseo deadpans. Then she says without hesitation, “you have a cold heart.” 



“Wha— No, I don’t!” Wonyoung swats away at Leeseo’s finger that’s pointing accusingly onto Wonyoung’s collarbone. “Leeseo, who’s the Unnie that takes best care of you?” 



Leeseo sighs. “Okay, fine. It’s you, Wonyoung Unnie.” 



“Exactly.” Wonyoung beams. “And who was the first person to befriend Jiwon when she first transferred?” 



“Who the hell is Jiwon?”



“New kid from last year.” 



“Unnie, I have no clue who she— but, I’m sure it was you.”



“Mhmm.” Wonyoung absentmindedly brushes a crumb off of Leeseo’s blazer. “And who is the one person that constantly helps her friends clean up after council activities?”



“I’m guessing, you? Unnie, this is my first day of high school. How do you expect me to know all this?” 



Wonyoung opens  to say more but Leeseo groans. 



“You don’t have to elaborate. Point is, you’re a very nice and warm person to everybody.” Leeseo says and Wonyoung smiles excitedly until she notices the knowing look Leeseo is giving her. 



“What is it?” Wonyoung feels a ‘but’ coming on. 



“Nothing~ Nothing, Wonyoung Unnie.” Leeseo sing-songs. “You’re just cold to one person. One particular person.” 



Wonyoung glares at Leeseo. 



“I don’t know what you’re talking about.” Wonyoung hugs at the strap of her school bag. 



“Mhmm.” Leeseo watches Wonyoung walk up to a locker, Leeseo’s locker for the rest of the school year. “You didn’t think I’d notice just now when you turned the other direction cause you saw your ex bestie—” 



The door of the locker slams shut. 



“We do not speak of that person.” Wonyoung huffs. “Good luck figuring out how to open your locker. I’m not teaching you.” 



“Wait!”



“Good luck, Leeseo!” 



Then Leeseo pouts. And Wonyoung sighs. 



“Okay, fine.” Wonyoung opens up Leeseo’s locker again. 



Leeseo beams. “You’re right. You’re warm-unnie.” 



“Mhmm. Mention that person again and I’ll show you exactly what cold unnie looks like.” 



……………………………….



Never in Jang Wonyoung’s life did she think that she, out of all people, would be given detention. 



“Detention for both of you!” 



In fact, never did she think that she would get detention on the FIRST day of school. Her first day of SENIOR year. 



“What??” 



“But—” 



“Save it,” glares the teacher, “I’ll see you in my office after school.”



She also didn’t expect to be given detention as a member of the student council. And yet, here she is. 



“But, I have softball training!” 



“And I have a debate club meeting.” 



“And I need someone to clean the music storage room.” Miss Kang says. “Detention for both of you, that’s final.” 



And with that, Miss Kang walks away. 



There’s a couple moments of tense silence before someone finally breaks it, causing Wonyoung to furrow her eyebrows in annoyance.



“This is all your fault, Jang.”



Wonyoung has to resist the urge to twitch. Never in her life has she ever been this annoyed by someone’s voice. And Wonyoung had her fair share of annoyance. It’s just a big sister thing. 



Standing there in front of Wonyoung is the bane of her existence. 5 feet and 7 inches of pure annoying. Just half an inch smaller than Wonyoung but probably inches larger in terms of overall muscle mass. Particularly the shoulders. Which Wonyoung will admit has grown broader in the past few years. Not that she’s been looking or anything. 



“Yujin.” Wonyoung scoffs. 



“President.” says Yujin. “You can call me President.” 



Wonyoung rolls her eyes. She really dislikes how the student body president is a jock. She also really dislikes how that said jock is constantly almost beating her for top of the class every single semester. Key word there is almost. Because, Wonyoung always ends up beating her, anyways. 



“Well, Yujin,” Wonyoung says to which Yujin rolls her eyes, “I believe this is your fault. You threw food at me.” 



“Which I only threw because you threw it first.” Yujin says with an overly innocent smile. 



Really, what had happened was that Wonyoung was distracted by the practice conversation she was having in her head with her English teacher. She’s been trying to convince him to have an excursion to California. She didn’t notice her kimchi soup dripping from her plate and she definitely didn’t notice the way it dripped onto Ahn Yujin, of all people. 



“I did not throw food at you.” Wonyoung says. Then she pauses when she notices the way Yujin is wearing rice on her uniform. “I mean, I did not throw food at you, first. I threw it after you threw food at me.” 



Truthfully, Wonyoung is quite shocked at the fact that this is the first time she and Ahn Yujin have spoken this entire school year. In fact, the first time they’ve spoken since Wonyoung was in middle school. Wait, middle school was 2 years ago? 



“Whatever.” Yujin turns back away. 



Wonyoung opens  to say more, but closes it. She spins on her heels a few moments later and bee lines it for the bathroom to clean up the Kimchi soup that no doubt was going to stain her uniform. 



“Wow.” Leeseo murmurs to herself while watching Wonyoung from her spot across the cafeteria. “High School is kinda awesome.” 



……………………………….



“Oh, Wonyoung! You’re here, too.” 



Kim Jiwon transferred into Wonyoung’s school in second year. She instantly gravitated towards the school choir and bonded with all of the theatre kids because of her love of singing. Though Wonyoung wasn’t part of any of those things, she was still one of the first people to befriend Jiwon. They’re not extremely close, but they’re still good friends. 



“You’re in detention, too?” Wonyoung’s mouth falls open. “What did you do?” 



Jiwon shrugs sheepishly. “I was caught ditching class with Rei.” 



“So, why isn’t your girlfriend here with you?” 



Jiwon’s face turns red. “N-not my girlfriend.” 



“Yet.” Wonyoung chuckles. 



Jiwon tucks a strand of hair behind her ear. “She managed to escape from the teachers because I told her to hide in the science cupboard.” 



“And you didn’t think to do that, too?” 



“There wasn’t enough space.” 



Wonyoung laughs. “Awwww. So, basically, you sacrificed yourself for your girlfriend.” 



“She’s not my girlfriend.” Jiwon groans. 


Wonyoung pats her shoulder. “She will be soon. I’m sure of it.” 



Jiwon suddenly looks puzzled. 



“What’s wrong?” 



“Nothing!” Jiwon shifts away from Wonyoung’s hold. “You’re just really cold.” 



Wonyoung stares at her fingers, spinning it around to analyse it. That’s the second time today she’s heard that phrase. She was cold, physically. That was hard to deny. But, cold-hearted? Nah. Wonyoung was a very nice person. 



“President Yujin!” 



Well. She was a nice person to all but one. 



“Oh great, you’re all here.” Miss Kang trails tiredly behind Yujin. She’s holding some pieces of paper in her hand and hands them towards Yujin who takes them with a bow. “Here’s the list of things that have to be done before you can leave this music room tonight.” 



“Soyou-nim.” Jiwon pouts. “That’s like three pages.” 



“Miss Kang,” the teacher sends a warning glare towards her music student. “Call me, Miss Kang.” 



Jiwon goes red. 



“Now.” Miss Kang outstretches her palm. “Cough up your phones.” 



“But—” Jiwon says but Miss Kang shushes her with a shake of the head and Jiwon relents. 



Just like that, three phones are placed into Miss Kang’s hands. 



……………………



It’s a gruelling hour for the three. Jiwon is the one that does most of the talking, bouncing back and forth in conversation between Wonyoung and Yujin. Wonyoung was relieved when she saw someone had called her and instantly picked up, propping the heavy instrument she was holding on its stand. 



The other two keep working while they listen to Wonyoung talk to someone about their plans for the weekend. There’s a carnival, and Wonyoung and this person are arriving late there together. 



“Bye, Jessie.” Wonyoung says before hanging up her phone.



“You’re calling your boyfriend?” Jiwon pouts. “Didn’t you give your phone to Miss Kang?” 



“I did.” Wonyoung says as a matter-of-factly. She waves her phone in the air. “At least, I gave her one of my phones.” 



She places it back into her pocket when she hears someone scoff. 



“Jessie?” 



It’s the first time Yujin speaks up. 



“So, you’re with that tool, now? What happened to Jamal? Wait, no, Jamal was ages ago. You were dating Kensho over the summer. 



“Yes, I am with that so-called tool.” Wonyoung swivels around towards Yujin. The other girl is intently focused on scrubbing a stain on one of the tables. Wonyoung ignores Yujin’s quips about her past dating escapades. “Isn’t that tool one of your oldest childhood friends?” 



“Yes.” Yujin looks back towards Wonyoung once she sees that Wonyoung has returned her gaze back to her task at hand.



Wonyoung rolls her eyes but doesn’t say anything. 



“Doesn’t mean he still can’t be a tool.” Yujin says, breaking the silence. “Besides, I haven’t talked to him much since middle school. You probably talk to him more than I do.” 



“Doubt it.” Wonyoung says and this time it’s Yujin who rolls her eyes. “Excuse me, I can hear you rolling your eyes from over here.” 



“How can you hear— whatever.” Yujin mumbles. “You’re so infuriating.” 



“Infuriating?” Wonyoung pauses her dusting to look at Yujin with a raised eyebrow. “What did I do now?” 



“Nothing.”



Wonyoung scoffs. “Nothing? Then I guess you’re just obsessed with me.” 



Yujin puts down her cloth and turns to look Wonyoung straight in the eye. “That’s the thing, Jang. You do nothing with him. Or any of your boyfriends.” 



“And what exactly are you implying, Ahn?” Wonyoung’s duster is forgotten on top of the piano and she has both arms crossed now, staring at Yujin with an incredulous look. 



“I’m just saying, for someone who’s your BOYFRIEND, you never hang out with them or talk to them or hell, you never even talk about them. Like, what’s the point of even dating them, then?” 



Wonyoung rolls her eyes. “What’s the point of this conversation? This isn’t any of your business.” 



Yujin shifts her body around so that her back is to Wonyoung and continues her diligent scrubbing. Wonyoung swears she hears her mumble ‘whatever’ under her breath.



But, Wonyoung is still fired up. 



“Why do you even care, huh?” Wonyoung says, also turning her back to her. 



There’s no response from Yujin and Wonyoung feels herself grow even more irritated. 



“Is there a reason why it should become your business? Is that what’s going on?” 



“Shut it, Jang.” 



“Come on,”  Wonyoung challenges, “just spit it out, Madame President.” 



“I said shut it, Jang.” 



“No.” Wonyoung says. “Say it.” 



“I’ve got nothing to say to you.” 



“Really?” Wonyoung lets out a scoff. “Fine then. Say nothing to me.” 



Yujin is silent after that. 



“Wow, you really took that literally.” Wonyoung shakes her head. 



“I just think it’s ridiculous.” Yujin says. “Why do date those guys? Tell me, Wonyoung.” 



“They’re nice.” Wonyoung says.



“As if you ever talk to them! How do you even know that?” 



“They buy me flowers and give me gifts.” 



“With their parent’s money, probably.” Yujin mumbles under her breath. 



“If there’s nothing wrong with them, there’s nothing bad about dating them. Simple as that.” 



“There’s nothing wrong with them but I bet if I asked you to tell me what’s right about them, you wouldn’t be able to answer. Tell me, what do you like about Jessie?” 



“He’s good looking. And he’s nice.” Wonyoung shrugs. “He asked me out and I said yes, that’s just how dating works. But, I guess you wouldn’t know that.” 



Yujin realises she has to stop scrubbing so hard at the wall because a little bit of paint is chipping away. She puts down the cloth with a sigh, choosing to ignore the last quip from Wonyoung. 



“I don’t have to have had a relationship before to know that people date because they actually- oh, I don’t know-“ Yujin spins around to glare at Wonyoung, “LIKE each other?”



Wonyoung completely disregards her duster once more and meets Yujin’s challenging stare, matching her energy. Both girls don’t dare to look away. 



“People end up dating because one person gets the guts to ask the other person out. And the other person says yes.”


“Well, since you’re such an expert on the subject of dating, do you know why some people don’t date?”



“Because they both don’t like each other?”



“Wrong.” Yujin takes a step towards Wonyoung. “It’s because one of them randomly says yes to someone else when they ask them to their school dance!” 



“Well, that’s what happens when the other person is so hard to read.” Wonyoung doesn’t waver under Yujin’s gaze. 



“Maybe that person just wasn’t ready! That’s why they never said anything!” 



“Well, it  for that person but they have no right to be pissed at the other for saying yes to someone else.” 



“I disagree.” Yujin shook her head. “The other person could at least have the decency to stay loyal!”



“Wha— loyal?? You expect them to be loyal?” Wonyoung is visibly shaking at this point, it’s like she’s one step away from smoke basically pouring out of her ears. 



“Yes.” Yujin says, her tone firm and adamant. 



Wonyoung clenches her fist and storms towards Yujin, grabbing a fistful of her shirt and pulling her towards herself. 



“Well, maybe if you just pulled your head out of your  and actually asked me out, I would’ve been loyal to you.” 



There’s dead silence after that, the only sounds that could be heard is the remnants of Wonyoung’s voice reverberating through some of the brass instruments. 



The two stare at each other for a little while, both unwavering. 



The only thing that breaks them up is the crashing sounds of various instruments. Both girls break their intense conversation to look in the direction of poor Jiwon who is currently nowhere to be seen. 



“Jiwon, are you okay?” Wonyoung hurriedly makes her way over to the girl. 



“I’m goodie!” Jiwon jumps up from under the pile of tubas. “Unlike you two, lovebirds.”



“Lovebirds??” Yujin and Wonyoung exclaim at the same time. 



“We are not—” Yujin sputters. 



“What makes you say that?” Wonyoung says at the same time. 



Jiwon points her right hand towards Wonyoung and her left hand towards Yujin. “So, like… you two have history class together? And you sure are ACEING those classes.” 



“Actually we only have english class together—” 



“Shut up, Yujin, you know what she means.” 



“Don’t tell me what to do.” 



“I have to if you’re ever going to get anything done—“ 



“Guys, please!” Jiwon says exasperatedly. She’s got her fingers rubbing both of her temples. 



Wonyoung and Yujin shut their mouths. 



“I just can’t wrap my head around the fact that something is going on between you two.” 



“Something going on?” Wonyoung scoffs. “Please. There could’ve been if Yujin here wasn’t such a coward.” 



“I’d rather be that than a traitor.” 



“What? Traitor—“ 



“I am begging, you two. Please, just stop it.” Jiwon is so close to ripping her hair out. 



“Sorry.” Wonyoung and Yujin mutter in unison. 



And just like that, they do not speak for the rest of detention.



…………………….



To Wonyoung’s dismay, after detention Jiwon goes in the opposite direction of where Wonyoung is going. 



“You’re going that way?” Wonyoung says, eyes begging Jiwon to come with her. 



“I’m taking the 86 bus.” Jiwon says as to which Wonyoung pouts. 



Yujin finally leaves the music room, sports bag slung over her shoulder and hanging by her hip. Wonyoung’s pout turns into a scowl. 



She knows exactly what bus Yujin takes. Because, it’s the same bus as hers. 



In fact, Yujin’s house is on the same street as Wonyoung’s, just two stops away. 



Wonyoung spins on her heel, beelining for the exit. Eyes focused on her destination. She does not look back. 



When she gets to the bus stop, she sits on the furthest end of the bench. And moments later, Yujin arrives. She sits on the opposite end of the bench. 



They both stare at their phones. Just anywhere, but each other. 



It’s fine for a little while. They just sit in silence. Until… 



“Do you still like me?” 



Wonyoung’s thumb halts from scrolling to the next TikTok. 



Her head snaps up and she glares hard at Yujin who is refusing to look at her. 



“What kind of a freaking question is that?” 



Yujin’s jaw clenches. “What kind of a freaking answer is that? Geez, I’m just asking.” 



Wonyoung crosses her arms. “You genuinely think it’s possible to like someone even after two years? Is it even possible? It’s totally not possible, right? Like, it’s such a preposterous idea that someone would like someone for that long. They’re probably just stupid at this point.” 



Yujin doesn’t say anything. Wonyoung takes a deep breath. 



Her voice softens, “right?”



There’s another few moments of silence. 



“You don’t think it’s possible?” Yujin says.



“I don’t know. Do you think it is?” 



Still refusing to look at Wonyoung, Yujin answers, “Yes, I think it’s possible.” 



“Oh, you do? How do you know?” 



“Just a feeling.” Yujin shrugs. 



Wonyoung studies Yujin’s face. But, the other girl isn’t giving her anything. She’s unreadable. Wonyoung looks away finally, stares off into the distance. 



“Why the hell do you need to know whether I like you or not, anyways? We haven’t talked in the longest time.” 



“You didn’t answer my question.” 



“I don’t owe you an answer, Ahn. We’re not friends.” 



“You’re so immature.” 



Wonyoung bolts to her feet, fist clenching. “So, what if I am?” 



Yujin winces in defence at Wonyoung’s sudden movement. 



“I’m walking home. I can’t stand being around you anymore.” Wonyoung throws her bag angrily over her shoulders. 



“You’re such a child.” Yujin shakes her head. 



Wonyoung turns around and actually walks away. She’s only taken a few steps when Yujin speaks up. 



“Are you kidding? You’re actually going to walk home? At least, call your parents or something to pick you up.” 



“Why do you care?” Wonyoung’s voice produces mist. 



“Our houses are so far from here! It’s like an hour walk!” 



“Then I’ll jog.” 



“You? Jogging? Jang, you have the athletic ability of a potato. Besides, it’s freaking freezing!” 



“Yeah, well I’m always cold!” Wonyoung spins back around. She stomps towards Yujin. 



Wonyoung grabs one of Yujin’s arms and brings it towards her. She clamps her other hand down onto Yujin’s open palm. 



“See?” Wonyoung says. “I’m already cold. So, the weather makes no difference.” 



Yujin doesn’t say a single word. Not even a single breath could be heard from Yujin’s lips. Or any mist around Yujin’s nostrils. 



Wonyoung freezes, too, when she realises what’s going on. 



Yujin’s hand is so warm. Incredibly warm. She doesn’t remember it ever being this warm. The warmth even spreads through Wonyoung’s body, up her arm, down her chest to her stomach. Up her neck and to her face. Her cheeks grow rosy, matching Yujin’s. 



Both girls are staring at their touching hands. Wonyoung’s hand is only resting atop Yujin’s open palm but it was impacting both of them so much. 



Yujin looks up at Wonyoung. Her hand slightly clasps at Wonyoung’s, holding it gently. Wonyoung finds herself meeting her gaze. 



The world stops. Wonyoung focuses on the feeling of Yujin’s hand holding hers. She focuses on Yujin’s eyes, studying them, missing gazing into them after all this time. She focuses on the sound of her heart pounding in her ears. 



She releases a breath. And she finally looks away from Yujin’s mesmerising stare. 



“I’m going now.” 



Wonyoung’s about to take her hand out of Yujin’s hold when she feels Yujin’s grip tighten. She squeezes Wonyoung’s hand slightly, tugs her back towards her. 



“What now?” Wonyoung sighs. 



Yujin’s gaze doesn’t leave hers. She gulps. She takes a deep breath. 



Then Yujin stands up and kisses Wonyoung. 



It’s the softest kiss Wonyoung has ever felt before in her life. And yet, it’s the only kiss that makes her stomach twirl like this. It’s the only kiss that makes her see fireworks behind her closed eyelids. Is the only kiss that makes her feel like she never wants it to end. 



She feels one of Yujin’s warm hands go to her waist and the other cups her chin. Wonyoung’s own arms snake around Yujin’s waist. 



They pull away, way too soon for Wonyoung’s liking. They stare at each other, breathless. 



Wonyoung can’t say anything. She only manages to breathe out an awed, “Yujin…” 



Yujin looks conflicted. Wonyoung sees her swallow hard. 



“I’ll take the 86 to Gaeul’s house. Don’t walk home.” Yujin says, her voice soft. Her breath hits Wonyoung’s lips and she shivers. Not because she’s cold, but because it makes her feel warm inside. 



But, that warmth disappears the moment Yujin pulls away from her. 



And then she walks away from Wonyoung. Hand clutching her sports bag, she doesn’t look back. Wonyoung stares at her the entire time. Half of her is wishing that she would turn around while the other half is still trying to process what just happened. 



………………………….



It’s a few days after the kiss and Wonyoung is still processing it. It keeps replaying in her head at the most inconvenient of times. Like, once, she was in the middle of a maths test when the thought came to her. It was a question about angles and Wonyoung couldn’t help but to relate back to how Yujin had angled her head slightly while kissing her so that their noses were resting perfectly on each other’s faces. The tip of Wonyoung’s nose was tucked perfectly to the side of Yujin’s. 



Wonyoung found herself frequently thinking about how perfect they fit for each other even if they were opposites at times. How Wonyoung was always more cold blooded which is why she loved summer and got cold easily. Yujin, on the other hand, was more warm blooded so she loved winter and got mosquito bites easily. Then she started thinking about those times when they were younger where she would apply ointment onto Yujin’s mosquito bites to stop her from scratching them and then Yujin would silently thank her by treating her to her favourite icecream and— Yeah. It’s safe to say, Wonyoung was in dreamland a lot this week. 



Thankfully, Yujin seemed to be in dreamland, too. She was actively avoiding Wonyoung, actually. Which Wonyoung predicted would happen, anyways. At this point, Wonyoung was in for the ride, she was making a bet with herself on what Yujin would do next. If in these past few years Yujin got braver or became less of a coward. Wonyoung made sure to not post about Jessie, talk about Jessie or even hang out with him, secretly hoping that Yujin would do something. 



Speaking of the boy, she’s totally forgotten that he would be here today at the school festival. Wonyoung tries to hide the shocked look on her face when they bump into each other while her friends are distracted with the ring toss. 



“Oh. Hey, babe.”



“Hi.” Is all Wonyoung can muster out right now. She swears, she probably hasn’t seen Jessie’s face for days. 



“We’re going to try out the haunted house, do you want to go?” 



Wonyoung wants to say yes. So she does. At least, she tries to. But, someone is interrupting her before she can even open . 



“Sorry, but I actually need Wonyoung for something, right now.” 



Wonyoung freezes. Of course, she’s here. 



Jessie doesn’t look phased at all. There’s no change in his expression. He just shrugs. 



“Okay. Then, I’ll see you around, babe.” 



And just like that, Jessie leaves. 



Wonyoung turns around. Yujin’s in her classic varsity jacket. Does she ever wear anything else? It’s a weekend and they’re at the school festival. Why does she feel the need to wear her varsity jacket? 



Not that Wonyoung is complaining. She always looks good in her various sports uniforms. 



“What do you want?” Wonyoung huffs out in annoyance. Anything to distract her from how her hands were one second away from shaking. 



“Um.” Yujin’s confidence from before is gone. “Council stuff. We need help with some admin things.” 



Wonyoung crosses her arms. “There should be no admin problems. I spent the entirety of the summer break planning for this festival with the others. You wouldn’t know, you were away at your freaking softball camp.” 



“Awwww. You keep track of what I’m up to.” 



Wonyoung rolls her eyes. 



“Deal with it, yourself. Now, let me enjoy this festival. Don’t bother me unless you have something really important to tell me.” 



Her words hang in the air for a few moments. There’s a hidden meaning to what Wonyoung is saying. A message present between the lines. 



A few moments pass. Something in Wonyoung’s heart breaks slightly but she tries to mask it by focusing on how annoyed she is at Yujin. 



“Goodbye, Ahn.” 



She turns to leave. 



She’s taken 3 or 4 steps into the crowd when she’s stopped. 



Wonyoung feels a warm, calloused hand wrap around her wrist and spin her around. She’s met face to face with a serious Yujin. Wonyoung feels her breath hitch the back of  when she sees the way Yujin’s eyes flicker briefly towards her lips. 



“Break up with him.” 



Wonyoung gulps. Seeing Yujin up close like this makes her heart race. She’s so ready to fold, she wants to so bad. But, she’s got pride. She wants Yujin to work for it. Wonyoung knows she’s worth that. 



So, Wonyoung steadies herself. She tries not to focus on Yujin’s lips right in front of her. Instead, she looks straight into Yujin’s eyes, challengingly. 



“Why?” Wonyoung’s voice is strong. She’s testing Yujin. And Wonyoung could tell that Yujin knows that’s what’s happening. 



“He doesn’t deserve you.” Yujin’s careful with her words. She’s thinking hard about them. Then she’s enunciating each syllable as she speaks. Like she’s trying to stall time by talking slowly and clearly. 



“You think so? So, do you think there’s someone who does?” 



Yujin starts getting a little angsty at this point. Her grip on Wonyoung’s wrist loosens a little bit, her fingers starting to fidget slightly against Wonyoung’s skin. 



“You and I both know there’s someone out there that loves you more than he does.” Yujin says. Her eyes are pleading with Wonyoung at this point. She’s making this extremely difficult for Wonyoung to keep her pride. 



“Well,” Wonyoung shimmies her hand out of Yujin’s grip, “if she decides to show herself then I’ll consider it.” 



They stare each other down. None of them budge. 



Finally, Yujin relents. She looks to the side, tongue sticking to the roof of  in annoyance. 



“Screw this.”



Yujin makes her way over to the stage and whispers something to the band. Wonyoung sees her flip through her pocket and slide some money bills towards the lead singer of the band. 



After a nod from all the band members, she picks up the mic. 



“Hi, everyone! I hope you’re enjoying the carnival.” Yujin says. “If you don’t mind, I would like to sing a song dedicated to a very special person to me.” 



The crowd erupts with whispers. THE Ahn Yujin likes somebody? 



Yujin nods towards the band and the beginning riff starts to play. Wonyoung thinks that she doesn’t recognise the song. 



Then Yujin begins to sing. 



“Jessie is a friend. Yeah, I know he’s been a good friend of mine.” Yujin’s hand clutches her mic, hard. Her gaze is intense, boring into Wonyoung’s and it makes her heart skip a beat. “But, lately something’s changed, it ain’t hard to define. Jessie’s got himself a girl and I want her to be mine.” 



Yujin points at Wonyoung when she says ‘I want her to be mine.’ 



It’s at this point when the people in the crowd start figuring out what’s happening. They all glance towards Wonyoung, whispering to each other. But, Wonyoung doesn’t hear them, doesn’t notice them at all. Because she's in a trance while watching Yujin, hanging onto every word she sings. 



The music builds up and Yujin’s leg bounces alongside it, ready for the big chorus. 



“I wish that I had Jessie’s girl! I want Jessie’s girl!” The conviction in Yujin’s voice is so powerful. She sounds like she’s begging. Sounds so desperate. 



Wonyoung finds herself taking gravitating towards Yujin. She takes a couple steps forward. 



“Tell me! Where can I find a woman like that?”



And then Yujin finally looks away. Because she's looking at her guitar now. She’s playing a guitar solo! She aggressively shreds at the guitar, like her life depends on it.  hangs open slightly while gets lost in her guitar solo. 



She looks ethereal on stage. Determined. 



She once again brings her eyes to meet Wonyoung’s while she sings the final chorus. 



“You know I wish that I had Jessie’s girl! I wish that I had Jessie’s girl. I want Jessie’s girl!” 



Yujin aggressively strums the last chords of the song, emphasising every strum with a big  of her arm. She’s red and shiny from the beads of sweat dripping down her face. Yujin’s panting. And she stares at Wonyoung. 



The crowd is dead silent. Wonyoung is still frozen. Yujin and her never break their intense staring contest. 



“Wonyoung, I’m in love with you.” Yujin says into the mic. It echoes through the field and Wonyoung can’t find the strength to move or do anything. 



Wonyoung just stands there, staring at Yujin. Every feeling she has been burying and squashing for the past 2 years overwhelms her senses. She can’t tell if she’s breathing heavily or not breathing at all. It’s like her mind stops and it’s just her and her heart right now. 



“I know the dance is ages away. But, I need you to know now that I plan on going to the dance with you. I-if you’d take me, of course. As your date. No matter what you do, I’m going to be available for you. I’m not asking you for an answer, I just want to let you know how I feel.” 



Yujin takes a deep breath from her rambling. A few people in the crowd have taken out their phones and are starting to film. 



“This is me letting you know, Wonyoung. I’m letting you know right now that I’m in love with you. Okay? Do you hear me?” Yujin pauses to chuckle a little bit. “Well, it’s okay if you don’t because everyone here has heard me and they will never be able to unhear this. Look, they’re even recording, for evidence.” 



It’s only when the crowd starts to giggle a little when Wonyoung finally gets the ability to think back. A small smile adores her face. She finds herself inching through the crowd, closer and closer to Yujin. As she walks, the crowd parts for her until there’s a clear path between her and the stage. 



Yujin watches her with a smile. Then she spreads her arms out wide. She yells into the air with all she has. 



“I LOVE JANG WONYOUNG!” 



Wonyoung shakes her head but her smile is wide. She’s giggling like crazy in the crowd. 



Yujin says it once more but into the mic this time. “I love you, Jang Wonyoung. Did you know that?” 



Wonyoung’s by the edge of the stage by now. Yujin crouches down so that they could be face to face. She places the microphone down, voice lowering so that only Wonyoung can hear her. 



“Hi, Jang.” 



And then Yujin’s pressing her forehead against Wonyoung’s forehead. Their nose lightly nuzzle against each other. Wonyoung’s hands make their way to the edge of the stage to prop herself up to Yujin. Yujin brings both her hands to cup Wonyoung’s face. 



They stay in that position for awhile, at the edge of the stage just staring at each other with big smiles and shining eyes. 



And the air is so cold. But, Wonyoung was warm. 



“Hi, Ahn.” 



Because, Ahn Yujin made her feel like her heart was on fire. 


........................

Authors note:

Omg hi!!! I took a reallyyyyy long break from writing for Annyeongz and then suddenly I just had this burst of energy to write this. I hope you enjoyed it! Sorry, that this yet another Annyeongz cute high school rom com with Yujin as a jock but also not sorry because writing Annyeongz like this makes me so happy. I just love them in this kind of setting. It's so cute!! They suit it so well. 

Hope everyone is staying safe, happy and healthy. Hope everyone is at peace and are getting on by in life. If there's anything you're struggling with, I want you to know that I believe in you! You've got this. Whatever is going on, I want to remind you that you're worth so much, and nothing can diminish that. 

...............................

Random rambling note:

So, I had this realisation recently about this kind of genre. I always thought that I'm a er for this kind of wholesome vibe, but I realise now that I think I just have a different genre I enjoy depending on the ship. For example, I've become a GAP: The Series enjoyer and childhood best friend high school rom-com just doesn't hit for me when it comes to Sam x Mon or Freenbecky. But, I've found myself enjoying all the different genres/tropes that I thought I didn't like but I eat it UP when it comes to MonSam. Like I need them to be a little bit insane and a little bit toxic and very very spicy for me to be like OMG LITERATURE. Like, when I think of them having a Joker x Harley Quinn kinda both evil and insane vibe WHEW like it's givinggg. Meanwhile, when it comes to Loona and 2jin i'm like I NEED FANTASY. GIVE ME VAMPIRES GIVE ME SUPER POWERS GIVE ME THE SUPERNATURAL (but please no more ). sHDFHS Anyways, this is just my 4:23 am thoughts. Just putting them out there. 

(also, if u don't know what gap the series or freenbecky is then i'll assume ur probably not chronically online on gg twt skdjfh but basically it's a thai gl that had all the girls on my tl SEATED omg like i recommend it if u want to see pretty thai lesbians act in a soap opera wattpad telenovela kinda series. chef's kiss go watch it)