Second Place (PART 1)

Oh, Vicky! - Annyeongz one shot collection

SECOND PLACE

.

Jang Wonyoung has one goal: to become class president and to beat her long-time rival and nemesis. She will do whatever it takes to win; anything that she can dream of. 

.

.

(PART 1)

.

.

Thump. 

 

A manicured hand slams her pink planner closed. One of the jewels on the front of the planner falls off. 

 

“You haven’t heard?” 

 

Jang Wonyoung sits on the school bench. Perfect posture, not a strand of hair out of place, not a single crease on her cheerleader uniform. 

 

“It’s all anyone has been talking about today! I’m surprised you didn’t hear it.” 

 

Next to Wonyoung is her best friend, Kim Jiwon. She is delivering the latest news. The latest gossip to circle around the locker room hallways. Well, technically, Mr Choi’s algebra class. At least, that’s where Jiwon had heard this news. 

 

And what was the news, you may be wondering? 

 

“W-well, it’s only rumoured.” Jiwon sputters when she notices Wonyoung’s stressed look. “I mean it’s Jacob we’re talking about!” 

 

Wonyoung takes a deep breath. She re-opens her planner and resumes her diligent flipping through of her thorough daily schedules.

 

“Karanakis?” 

Jiwon nods. Wonyoung sighs. 

“No no no. This is bad for my calculations.” Wonyoung shows Jiwon one of her pages. “I’m supposed to get the boys basketball team votes and the girls team votes for… you-know-who.” 

Wonyoung gestures to something behind her.

We see you-know-who. She’s walking coolly around the field. Basketball under her arm. Red varsity jacket on.

Some girls walk by her, giggling. You-know-who hands them a red flyer, gives them a wink. The girls melt.

Wonyoung is definitely not like those girls. She does not melt. In fact, just seeing you-know-who walking towards her makes Wonyoung scowl.

“Jang Wonyoung!” Oh, how Wonyoung hates the sound of her name right now. “Check this out. Made it this morning.” 

A red flyer is shoved into Wonyoung’s direction. Its contents make Wonyoung’s face turn into a deeper scowl. 

‘AHN YUJIN FOR PRESIDENT’ is written in big bold letters, accompanied by the bright and smiling face of none other than Ahn Yujin, the captain of the girls’ basketball team and the biggest heartthrob of their school. 

Well, second biggest. At least, after Jacob Karanakis. 

Wonyoung scoffs, showing Yujin her own flyer. It's identical to Yujin’s, just in pink with the words ‘JANG WONYOUNG FOR PRESIDENT’.

Wonyoung furrows her brows and stares straight at Yujin. “Aren't you tired of losing to me?” 

Yujin’s bright smile does not falter. Not even in the slightest. And it irritates Wonyoung, just as it always does. 

“Nope.” Yujin takes Wonyoung’s flyer. She has the nerve to inspect it as if she’s never seen it before. “I’ll beat you one day, your Highness.” 

“In your dreams.”

Yujin stays smiling. She winks at annoyed Wonyoung. The moment Yujin leaves, Wonyoung’s scowl turns to distress. 

“I’m so screwed. Jacob can’t take her to prom! She’ll win elections by a landslide.” 

Jiwon shifts closer to Wonyoung, pats her knee. 

“It’ll be fine, Wonyoung. You always know what to do.” Jiwon says. She looks in the distance as Yujin hands a flyer to a confused Naoi Rei. Rei studies the flyer, then she looks up and meets Jiwon’s eyes, as if to say - ‘did you see this , too?’ 

Jiwon shrugs and looks away quickly to hide her growing blush. 

“Like the whole Rei fiasco. Thank God, you figured out she doesn’t like me back. That would’ve made the promposal very awkward.” 

Wonyoung abruptly lights up.

“That’s it! You’re a genius, Jiwon.” 

“I am?” 

“I’ll just get Jacob to ask me to prom.” 

“Um, I did not say all that.” 

Wonyoung watches Yujin from across the field. She’s sitting on the bleachers with her jock friends, laughing with them and playfully hitting them on the shoulders. 

“Ahn Yujin needs to know that if I’m around, she’ll never come first.” 

She narrows her eyes. Game on, Ahn. 

—---------------------------------- 

The sun shines on Wonyoung. She slowly opens her eyes. She's in a royal pink dress, a tiara on her head. She's a princess!

Below her, the knights train. One particular knight catches Wonyoung's gaze through his helmet.

Wonyoung gasps.

—----------------------------------

Wonyoung's abruptly woken up from her nap on the desk. She looks around to get her bearings. Oh, she’s in the school library. 

And Naoi Rei is there next to her. 

“Oh, sorry.” Rei gives her a sheepish look. “Did I wake you?” 

Wonyoung stretches. “It’s alright. I shouldn’t be sleeping anyways. What do you got there?” 

Rei holds up a poster. It’s a poster for prom. 

“Ta dah! Presenting this year’s prom theme: Dreamlike! How does it look? Good?” 

Wonyoung squints up at Rei and the poster. The sun is shining right in Wonyoung's face. She takes the poster to give it a closer look. 

“You know, I dreamt about Twice being in Pride and Prejudice. Mina was Mr Darcy, for some reason.” Rei says. “Then I woke up and bam! New Misamo subunit. Dreams are so great. It’s like wisdom.” 

Wonyoung nods, but she's visibly not convinced of the statement. And she's too distracted by the damn sun! Way too bright.

She goes to close the blinds. Sees people exercising below. Jiwon pitches a softball, accidentally hitting one of her teammates. Ouch.

And over in the corner of the field is Jacob Karanakis doing push-ups. He is so beyond handsome. Like a Greek god.

Oh. He's looking up, now. Directly at Wonyoung.

Their gazes lock. Wonyoung's breath hitches.

Suddenly, she’s in that royal pink dress again, a tiara on her head. And the sports teams on the field now look like knights training together. At least, to Wonyoung. 

Jacob holds Wonyoung’s gaze for a little bit. 

“Oh yeah, and then Momo gave me a capybara and told me to always ‘follow my dreams’.” Rei’s voice interrupts Wonyoung and Jacob’s moment. 

Jacob finally looks away. She keeps on watching as Jacob stands up to join his team. 

Wonyoung releases a breath. “Follow your dreams, you say?” 

She goes to turn back to Rei. But, something makes her do a double take. It’s Yujin. 

Yujin’s studying Wonyoung from the bleachers. She looks towards Jacob, then back to Wonyoung.

Then Yujin cracks up laughing.

Wonyoung scoffs. She finally shuts the blinds.

—--------------------------------

Princess Wonyoung is eating lunch in the garden while kids practice archery. Suddenly, a rogue arrow flies at her. But, she's saved! A hand reaches out and bats the arrow away.

It's the knight. Wonyoung gasps.

—--------------------------------

Wonyoung's eyes fly open. She’s in her bedroom. The sun is just starting to seep through her blinds. 

Wonyoung reaches over to pick up her planner and quickly writes down the contents of her dream. Then she thinks. 

—-------------------------------

Wonyoung straightens her cheer uniform. Jacob is stretching from across the field. He's got great muscles.

Wonyoung can feel Yujin’s inquisitive gaze on her and she resists the urge to laugh. She catches eye contact with Jiwon who is also watching her from across the field.

“Hey. Jacob, right?” 

Jacob runs a hand through his hair, slightly flexing his shoulders. “Yeah. What’s up?” 

“Samira is throwing a party next Friday. You should come.” 

Jacob turns his head to take a sip of water. What a coincidence, he’s giving Wonyoung a perfect view of his chiselled jawline. Seriously, is this kid even a teenager? 

“Sick.” Jacob says. “You’ll be there?” 

“Of course.” Wonyoung gives a sweet smile. 

Then— Woosh.

“Watch out!” Jiwon’s voice rings out from the middle of the field. 

Wonyoung looks in Jiwon’s direction. Oh ! A softball is hurtling towards Wonyoung! She screams and hides behind Jacob, not before placing a hand on his arm. Jacob easily catches the softball.

“Watch it!” Jacob yells. 

Wonyoung gives Jacob’s arm a squeeze. 

“Wow.” Wonyoung says. “You saved me!” 

Jacob looks around a few more times before Wonyoung detaches from his arm. He locks eyes with someone who is waving him over. It’s Yujin. Jacob gives a nod to acknowledge her. 

He turns to Wonyoung. “Send me the address of the party?” 

Wonyoung nods and Jacob gives her "the eyes". Very flirty. And Wonyoung is very satisfied with that. 

Jiwon jogs up to Wonyoung when he leaves.

“Thanks, girl~ You did good.” Wonyoung wiggles her fingers in front of Jiwon. The two of them watch as Yujin and Jacob kick a soccer ball back and forth. 

“Damn.” Jiwon says. “Did you see the way he was looking at you? I was skeptical about your dream-plan thing at first but… as always, you’re never wrong.” 

Wonyoung keeps her gaze locked on the other side of the field. But, she’s not looking at Jacob. Oh, she is looking at somebody else. Somebody who looks a mixture of stunned and pissed. 

Wonyoung and Yujin lock gazes. Wonyoung sends her a cheeky wink.

—-------------------------------

It’s night time. The castle is in flames! Princess Wonyoung scales the walls with trembling hands. Suddenly, her foot slips.

She's falling! She closes her eyes, braces for impact. It never comes.

She's caught by her knight. The knight cradles her.

—--------------------------------

Wonyoung sits up in her bed. She doesn't look shocked this time. She is actually quite giddy. 

She takes out her planner. This time it’s not on her desk but is on the bed with her, next to her pillow. 

She writes. Then she thinks.

—------------------------------

Wonyoung scans the bustling school hallways. And finally— there.

She walks, pretending to be looking at her phone. Then trips. She's falling! Oh, the horror. But, lo and behold, she's caught.

“Jacob!” Wonyoung acts surprised. 

Jacob cradles her in his arms. He looks at her with a smile, still as handsome as ever.

—-----------------------------

Swords clash as Princess Wonyoung dashes away. But someone's holding her hand, guiding her through the crowd. Her knight mounts her on a horse. They ride into the sunset.

—-----------------------------

Samira’s house is full of people. The atmosphere is so loud, so stuffy. 

Wonyoung eyes Jacob dominating beer pong. She slips into the bathroom without him noticing.

Wonyoung dials a number on her phone.

“Hi? Yes, I’d like to report a party going on in my neighbourhood.” 

Wonyoung grimaces a little. She’s not too sure about this one but, it’s worth the try, right? Besides, Samira was always known for having the cops show up to the party and her getting away with it, seeing as her Mom worked pretty high-up in the local police force. Getting the cops sent to her party won’t be anything out of the ordinary for a Samira party. 

Wonyoung walks through the crowd to find Jacob again. He’s still playing beer pong, but with different opponents this time. 

Jacob hands Wonyoung a drink. She smiles, takes the drink but doesn’t drink it. 

The sound of a guitar solo causes Wonyoung to turn her head in the direction of the live band. She sighs when she sees who it is. At least, who the lead singer is. 

Hit me with your best shot! Fire away!!” 

Oh, yipee. Ahn Yujin can sing and shred on the electric guitar. Everyone seems to be impressed but Wonyoung knows that she only learnt how to do that because Wonyoung’s aunt wanted her to learn how to play classical guitar. Hence, why Yujin just had to learn too. 

Though, Wonyoung would never admit it out loud but Yujin always seemed way more inspired than Wonyoung when she was playing the guitar. Yujin was a confident person, but when it came to playing guitar it was a different kind of confidence. She always looked so lost in the music. Which is something you would never see when it came to Yujin. She always looked so hyper-focused when she played basketball. 

Not that Wonyoung wanted to pay attention to Yujin.  But, it was kind of hard not to when you were the head cheerleader. Cause like, what kind of cheerleader doesn’t watch the actual game they were cheering for? 

Yujin and her band are nearing the end of her song when someone runs through the living room looking frazzled. It’s Kim Gaeul, a senior. 

Gaeul runs up on stage and whispers something in Yujin’s ear. Yujin nods and hands her the mic. 

Gaeul takes a deep breath. Then exclaims… 

“The cops are here!” 

It happens almost instantaneously. Everyone's in chaos! People run left and right. Students yell. Everyone is beelining it for the nearest exit. 

Wonyoung makes sure to grab Jacob’s hand. 

Jacob leads the two of them out back and out of the backyard onto the neighbourhood road. He jumps into his car, signalling for Wonyoung to do the same and he drives them off. 

Wonyoung turns around, seeing the lights from the police sirens surrounding the house. Then she looks back at Jacob who is very focused on driving through the dark neighbourhood. 

Eventually, he stops the car in front of a 7/11. 

“I think we’re far enough away, now.” Jacob leaves the car still running as he catches his breath. 

“That was something.” Wonyoung says. 

“Yeah.” Jacob nods his head. “I wonder who snitched.” 

Wonyoung shrugs, playing dumb. 

Jacob looks at Wonyoung and tucks a strand of hair behind her ear. “Hey, you going with anyone to prom?” 

Wonyoung's smile says it all. She won.

—----------------------------------

Wonyoung falls onto her bed, smile on her face.

 

“Yes!”

She opens up her planner to a checklist for prom. All are ticked except for one: "Get Jacob Karanakis to ask me to prom".

She ticks it.

Then Wonyoung goes to sleep. Finally satisfied.

—----------------------------------

Wonyoung dreams her first dream again. She’s standing on the balcony in her royal pink dress and tiara, yet again. But, this time, the dream goes on for longer.

The knight locks gazes with Wonyoung. Then removes their helmet revealing a face underneath...

Holy crap... 

…..

…. It’s Yujin. 

.

—----------------------------------

Wonyoung wakes up with a start. Gasping for air. Completely in shock.

—---------------------------------

A/N: 

Helloooo. It's been awhile. This was a screenplay I wrote for my class (yes, I used Wonyoung and Yujin's real names though I changed Ahn Yujin to Yujin Domingo). I changed it from screenplay version to a narrative story version hehe. 

I'm not really that active anymore, I just don't feel inspired to be on stan twitter anymore tbh. Maybe it's an age thing or I'm just in a stage of life where it's not for me anymore but I don't feel fulfilled tweeting and scrolling on stan twitter anymore. I still love all of IZ*ONE and post IZ*ONE though. <3 I think they're gonna be the last K-pop groups that I stan tbh, I don't think I'll be able to get into other k-pop or any other celebrity in that way anymore. 

I'll still be writing though! I really enjoy writing, especially for annyeongz. I think annyeongz have been a really good vessel for me to try and hone in my creative crafts! Updates will just be super super infrequent. 

For those who may or may not be waiting on my other story, TUIM, I really do wanna finish that. I want to at least accomplish finishing one full multi-chapter story. I think it's like two more chapters left before the end. Or I might just put it all into one chapter, who knows?  

Thank you for reading my silly little stories! I hope you enjoy them and I hope they give you some sort of happiness or joy. I realised that I really don't like writing angst, I just want to make people happy when they consume my works. 

Also, will post part 2 to this like right away hahahah!