Second Place (Part 2)

Oh, Vicky! - Annyeongz one shot collection

PART 2

Wonyoung sits in the cafeteria with Jacob and his friends. They’re laughing boisterously, so loud that they were probably overpowering every conversation around them. 

If Jacob weren’t so tunnel visioned on whatever stupid thing he and his friends were laughing at, he would have noticed that Wonyoung looked very distracted. In fact, she was avoiding everyone and anyone’s eyes. Something was deeply troubling her. Maybe if he were Jiwon, he would’ve noticed. Hell, maybe if he were just any sensitive human being he would’ve noticed. But, alas, he is Jacob Karanakis. 

“Crap!” 

Too bad for Wonyoung that she was distracted and Jacob Karanakis is not a sensitive human being because nobody at that table were able to see that there was an apple. And said apple was flying. 

Flying. Straight. Towards. Wonyoung. 

Wonyoung only notices it a little too late. 

! She braces for impact. 

But... 

…it never comes.

Wonyoung slowly peers one eye open. She sees the back of a red varsity jacket. In their left hand is the apple. 

“Now, now, Leeseo. Be careful where you throw things. You almost hit her Majesty!” 

Wonyoung’s eyes travel from the apple, up her arm, to her broad shoulders until her gaze is resting on Yujin’s side profile. The girl isn’t even looking at Wonyoung, she’s just looking at Leeseo with a sisterly smile. 

The noise muffles. All Wonyoung can hear is her beating heart.

Because, Yujin's morphing right before Wonyoung's eyes into knight costume! Until she's in full costume without a helmet.

Wonyoung takes a long blink-- What the? She opens her eyes, Yujin's back to normal again.

Yujin bows mockingly, tosses the apple back to Leeseo. Wonyoung's shocked watching her leave...

...Wonyoung takes a deep breath. 

Is this what love feels like?

—--------------------------

“Jiwon?” 

Jiwon looks up like a whipped puppy dog when she hears Rei’s voice calling her. 

“Y-yes?” Jiwon quickly abandons her job and scurries over to where Rei is surrounded by multiple boxes. Rei herself is hidden behind the two that she’s carrying. 

“Can you help me bring these to the stage?” Rei says from behind the boxes. “Oh, sorry. Did I take you away from your job?” 

“No, it’s fine. I can help you! I wasn’t doing anything important, anyways.” 

Oh, but she was doing something important. 

Because, poor Wonyoung was around the spot where Jiwon used to be, the spot where Jiwon was meant to be doing her apparently not-so-important job.

You see, the gym was being decorated for prom. And being the dutiful future student body president that Wonyoung was, she had automatically put up her hand to volunteer to decorate the gym.

Currently, she was helping with decorations. 

Jiwon was meant to be helping, too. 

And by help… well, that meant holding the ladder that Wonyoung was currently on while she tried to hang the decorations. 

So, you could probably guess what happened next. 

Wonyoung stretches a little too far and the ladder jiggles a little bit. Wonyoung’s foot slips.

Wonyoung let’s out a little scream right before she slips completely and starts free falling! 

She’s falling…

…right into Yujin's arms. 

Safe in Yujin’s arms, Wonyoung catches her breath only to lose it once again when she locks gazes with Yujin. Yujin who is so close to her. Yujin who smells so good despite playing sports 24/7. Yujin who has the most gorgeous smile in the world that usually annoyed Wonyoung to the ends of the earth but not today. 

Because, right now, Wonyoung was staring at Yujin with a sense of wonder. 

And once again, Yujin was morphing into knight costume. 

—------------------------------

Wonyoung's running. Her backpack bounces roughly on her back. She's sweaty and red. Panting. This is not the Jang Wonyoung that everybody knew and loved. Even Wonyoung herself has never seen herself like this. 

It wasn’t the fact that she was sweating. It wasn’t a common sight for Jang Wonyoung but it wasn’t uncommon either, seeing as she would work for hours trying to master her cheerleading routines. 

No, it was the fact that Jang Wonyoung was running late for the very first time in her life. 

Between gasping for breaths, Wonyoung still makes sure to let out a string of complaints that go along the lines of— ”Stupid dreams. Stupid alarm clock. Stupid knights. Stupid stupid Ahn! And her stupid smile.” 

If you were to see her while she ran you would think she was a bit psychotic seeing as she seemed to be talking to herself. She didn’t even have headphones on!

“Ayo, Jang!” 

Rip, Wonyoung. Someone saw her in the middle of looking absolutely insane on the sidewalk. 

Wonyoung freezes. She knows that voice. 

“Running late, Jang? Something dreadful must have happened. Did you run out of your fancy vanilla perfume?” 

Yujin slowly cycles on her bike to match Wonyoung’s speed. It’s quite a funny visual, Wonyoung red, drenched and huffing and puffing while Yujin is peacefully riding her bike alongside her, a bright smile on her face and barely breaking a sweat. 

“No, I didn’t. Now leave me alone. Let me run in peace.” 

Thank goodness Wonyoung was too mad to feel nervous around Yujin. But, for safe measures she tries not to look at her—

Skreet. 

“I can give you a ride, you know?” 

Wonyoung is just barely able to stop herself from completely colliding into Yujin who thought it would be safe to just drive her bike right in front of Wonyoung. 

“What the— Yujin!” 

Yujin pats the space on her handlebars. 

“Don’t play with me, Yujin. I’m serious.” 

Wonyoung attempts to jog away but, Yujin quickly grabs her hands. Wonyoung gulps, stares at their entwined hands. 

“I’m being serious, Jang.” Yujin chuckles. “Hop on.” 

Wonyoung wills herself to look at Yujin’s face. Big mistake. Because, Yujin’s morphing into the damn knight costume again. 

Wonyoung averts her eyes. 

“Do you really hate me that much that you’d rather be late?” 

Wonyoung bites her lip in frustration. The words ‘I don’t hate you’ on her lips but she holds her tongue. 

“Fine.” Wonyoung says. “Only cause I have perfect attendance to uphold.” 

Still dressed as a knight, Yujin beams at her. She helps Wonyoung sit atop the handlebars. And for the entirety of the ride, Wonyoung stares straight ahead. Frozen.

—------------

The ride felt like an eternity to Wonyoung but in reality it was probably only 10 minutes or so. Even though they were quiet the whole time, it was still kind of nice. It was a little awkward sitting atop the handlebars but Wonyoung couldn’t tell if it was maybe just because she was holding her breath from being this close to Yujin. 

Once they arrive at school, Wonyoung actively avoids looking at Yujin. At least she's back to normal Yujin, again. Wonyoung didn’t know if she’d be able to handle seeing knight Yujin once more. 

“Attendance saved, your Highness.” 

Yujin stands and— crap. Wonyoung accidentally looks at her. Yujin’s got her signature innocent smile. 

“T-thanks.” Wonyoung says. 

The longer Yujin smiles at her, the more Wonyoung can't help but smile back at her.

And now, they hear romantic music. Where did that come from? Oh, it's Gaeul on the electric piano. On the school steps?

Then Kay, the cheer captain, approaches Yujin with a sign that says, 'Is it o-KAY if YU go to prom with me?'.

Wonyoung watches Yujin go from surprised to her usual bright smile. Yujin shrugs yes.

And the whole time, Wonyoung watches the scene unfold. And her heart shatters into a million pieces. 

She beelines it for the school.

She pushes past all the students and goes straight to her locker. 

Thump. 

Wonyoung shoves her bag into her locker. Looking perplexed. Like she can't comprehend anything that has just happened.

When suddenly, someone approaches her. It's Jiwon. With roses.

“Oh my God! Wonyoung.” Jiwon says with a huge smile. Wonyoung keeps her head inside her locker to try to hide how she was on the verge of tears. 

Jiwon, whose head was in the clouds, does not notice Wonyoung’s behaviour. 

“You will not guess what happened.” Jiwon exclaims. She hugs her roses to her chest. “You were wrong for once! Rei likes me, too! She asked me to prom.” 

Wonyoung slams her locker shut. Jiwon smiles at her roses.

“What!” 

Jiwon’s smile fades. 

“That’s not the reaction I was expecting.” 

Wonyoung takes a deep breath to steady herself, trying her best to give Jiwon the best smile she could muster. 

“I— sorry, I’m very happy for you. It’s just been a bit of a rough morning.” Wonyoung says. 

“Oh, Wonyoung.” Jiwon pouts. She shuffles closer to her, abandoning the roses in her locker for a few moments to give Wonyoung a comforting pat on the shoulder. 

Wonyoung leans her head back onto her locker, closing her eyes and scrunching her face. 

“Is this really what being in love is like? If it is, I don’t want it.” 

“Awww, Won— you’re in love??” 

—--------------------

—--------------------

It's prom night. The crowd is electric. Chatters everywhere. There’s a spotlight on stage. On Yujin. Charming and confident, as always.

Yujin walks up to the mic and throws her guitar strap over her shoulders. 

“Ayo, Arthur High! What’s up?” 

Yujin eyes her band and nods at them. She starts playing a riff. 

Meanwhile, outside the auditorium, Jiwon, Rei and Wonyoung stand by the lockers. Jiwon and Rei hold hands, shyly giggling at each other. Wonyoung lets out a little smile at seeing them but it doesn’t deny the fact that her eyes look dead inside. She’s emotionless, a shell of what Wonyoung used to be. 

“I’m sorry your dream thing didn’t work out.” Rei pouts. 

“Yeah, whatever.” Wonyoung waves her hands. “Happy yours worked out for you, though.” 

“It’s because my dream had mothers Mina and Momo. And capybaras. I totally forgot that the main character of Pride and Prejudice is named Elizabeth.” Rei kisses Jiwon’s cheek. “And I totally forgot that this girl’s stage name was named after her.” 

Jiwon shrugs sheepishly. “You said it’s your favourite movie.” 

Wonyoung watches the scene unfold before her, ever-so-slightly amused. “Can’t believe you didn’t have to do anything and you still got the girl.” 

“You know, Wonyoung? Sometimes not having a plan can be good for you. ‘Cause just cause you don’t have a plan doesn’t mean someone else doesn’t.” Jiwon says. 

Wonyoung watches as Jiwon brings up hers and Rei’s entwined hands. Then she reaches out her other hand to Wonyoung. 

“Please don’t tell me you’re about to ask me to be part of some weird trio with you two.” Wonyoung scrunches her nose in disgust. 

“Ew, no gross. I was just gonna say, my plan right now is to dance with my g-girlfriend and my best friend at prom. I mean, no offence, Wonyoung, but your date is a tool, anyways.” 

Wonyoung follows Jiwon’s gaze to the other side of the room. Sure enough, Jacob is talking to a bunch of girls. He doesn't even glance Wonyoung's way.

Wonyoung shrugs. She takes Jiwon's hand.

As the three of them walk inside the auditorium Yujin's singing gets louder. Wonyoung sighs. She looks enchantingly gorgeous. She and the band seem to be playing Jessie’s Girl by Rick Springfield. Though, Wonyoung has a suspicion that Yujin probably only knew that song because of the Glee version. 

Yujin starts to play a guitar solo! And slowly, she begins morphing into a knight.

Wonyoung finally lets herself smile. Getting lost in Yujin. Yujin, Yujin, Yujin. That's all she sees.

She’s shining in the knight costume. The spotlight is on Yujin and Wonyoung could care less about who else was watching her. From the safety of being hidden in the crowd, Wonyoung lets herself fall deeper into Yujin. 

She listens to the sound of her voice, the way she enunciates every word, the way she slides to hit the high notes. Yujin’s always had such a pretty tone when she sang, it was sweet and clear which was a stark difference to how she would act while walking around in her varsity jacket. 

Yujin ends the guitar solo and Wonyoung gives a small clap. 

Yujin approaches the mic. Her eyes are closed, still lost from the guitar solo. Wonyoung smiles, she loved the look of Yujin looking so into the music. 

Yujin takes a deep breath. She opens , ready to sing the next words. She passionately sings… 

“I wish that I had Jacob’s girl!”

Wonyoung is snapped out of her daydream-- What? She snaps her gaze to Yujin’s face who still has her eyes shut, caught up in her music. Wonyoung notices some of her band members eyeing each other worriedly. 

Yujin sings again, “I want Jacob’s girl!”

Then Yujin eyes fly open. And she freezes. She abruptly stops playing the guitar and the rest of the band has no choice but to awkwardly fizzle out the song. The drummer gives an awkward crash of the cymbal. 

It's deadly silent in the gym. Everyone glances at Wonyoung. Then at Yujin. 

Twang! Yujin quickly throws her guitar over her shoulder and puts it down. The overdrive of the guitar echoes around the room. 

For the first time ever, Wonyoung sees Yujin looking terrified. 

—--------------------

Wonyoung follows Yujin out of the auditorium and into the nearest bathroom. 

She bursts into the thankfully empty room. Yujin's hovering over the sink. Wonyoung stands behind her.

Yujin sighs. She slams her hand on the sink and groans.

“!” 

The faucet drips.

Wonyoung and Yujin stay in silence. Wonyoung waits, gaging Yujin’s reaction, trying to figure out what was going to happen next. Honestly, Wonyoung didn’t even know why she followed Yujin in there. She definitely ran in there without any plan of what to say. 

“Are you going to say anything?” Yujin finally breaks the silence. She screws the faucet tight, annoyed by the dripping noise. 

“...no?” 

Yujin spins around. 

“Well, can you leave, then?” 

“Are… are you going to say anything?” Wonyoung tentatively says. She cringes a little inside. That seemed like a stupid thing to say. 

Yujin shakes her head. 

“You’re the one who followed me here, Jang. After I humiliated myself in front of the whole school.” 

Wonyoung takes a few careful steps closer to Yujin. She leans her back against the sink next to Yujin. Yujin copies her. 

“Well, that’s a first for you, then.” Wonyoung chuckles to herself. Apparently, she’s the only one who finds that joke funny. Yujin does not laugh. In fact, she turns away. 

Wonyoung bites her lip. Cringing yet again at what she said. It seems nothing she says is the right thing to say. 

“Sorry, I-I just…” Wonyoung takes a deep breath to steady herself, “...You have feelings for me?” 

Yujin doesn’t move an inch. “I don’t want to answer that yet.” 

“But, you told the whole school?” 

Yujin’s jaw clenches, “it wasn’t supposed to happen, yet!” 

“What do you mean by ‘yet’?” Wonyoung keeps her eyes on Yujin. 

Yujin turns around. She faces Wonyoung. Wonyoung feels weak at her intense gaze, but she can’t look away. 

“I had a plan.” 

Wonyoung’s breath hitches. 

“I have to beat you at something before I tell you how I feel.” 

There’s a beat of silence that passes as Yujin’s words hang in the air. Yujin’s eyes are looking, searching, as if trying to figure out what was going inside Wonyoung’s head. 

“Oh,” is all Wonyoung is able to muster out. 

It’s impossible to miss the way Yujin’s eyes go downcast. She looks dejected, heartbroken. 

Wonyoung racks her brain to try and figure out what to say. Anything, Wonyoung. Say something! 

“Since when… how long have you been feeling this way?” Wonyoung’s words are spoken carefully. Even though her mind was going a mile a minute she wanted to make sure that she was making sense. 

Yujin stares at a spot on the floor. Fiddles with her dress.

“Since second grade.” 

Yujin shifts uncomfortably on the sink. 

As for Wonyoung? Well, she’s dumbfounded at first. 

But, then… 

Wonyoung starts to laugh. Uncontrollably so. 

Yujin looks hurt. But, before she could say anything, Wonyoung opens to speak. 

“So, what I’m hearing is, you fell for me first…” Wonyoung grabs Yujin’s fidgeting hands away from her dress and holds them delicately in her own, “... and I fell for you second.” 

Yujin stares at their hands, as if letting it register in her mind. 

“Yujin.” Wonyoung calls her name softly. Yujin’s response is instant. Her eyes flit upwards towards Wonyoung’s, ever so soft, ever so vulnerable. “You technically beat me.” 

It takes a few moments for the words to hit Yujin. But, when it does...

...Yujin beams. It's the brightest Wonyoung has ever seen her smile. And Wonyoung has been seeing that smile ever since the first grade when Yujin transferred to her school for the first time. 

“You like me, too?” Yujin says. Her face is a mixture of awe and disbelief. Like she cannot comprehend what was happening. Perhaps she was just in awe of how beautiful Wonyoung looked in her black gown. 

Wonyoung nods. She giggles, “I really don’t know what happened. One day I dreamt about you and since then every time I fell asleep you’d be in my dreams and when I woke up all I could think about was you. Honestly, a part of me is still trying to figure out if I’m dreaming right now.” 

Yujin leans closer towards Wonyoung, their faces dangerously close to each other. Yujin places one hand on the sink, the other encircles Wonyoung’s waist and pulls her closer. 

“Maybe we should kiss, then? Just to make sure you’re not dreaming.” Yujin winks at Wonyoung. 

Wonyoung pushes Yujin away. 

“Don’t be weird, Yujin.” Wonyoung tries to keep her major blush under control. 

Yujin pouts. “What? You’re out here having dreams about me but it’s weird when I say that we should kiss?” 

“You’re the one who’s liked me since the second grade and never said anything!” Wonyoung exclaims, “and then you made it your life mission to annoy the hell out of me everyday.” 

“And yet, here we are.” Yujin wraps her arms around Wonyoung’s waist and pulls her closer yet again. “So, do you wanna kiss or what?” 

Wonyoung rolls her eyes. “Alright. Should I kiss you first or do you wanna do it first?” 

Yujin’s smile is wide. She brings her gaze down to Wonyoung’s lips, lifting a hand to cup Wonyoung’s chin. 

“Me, first.” Yujin says. 

Wonyoung’s heart skips a beat when she feels Yujin’s thumb move up to lightly graze her bottom lip. 

“Okay.” Wonyoung says. “You, first.” 

Wonyoung closes her eyes. Waiting. Waiting for Yujin to close the gap between them and to kiss her. 

And Yujin does. 

Yujin kisses her, like her entire life depended on it.

Wonyoung feels sparks. As Yujin kisses her, she feels warm, like she’s on a castle balcony and the sun is shining on both of them. Wonyoung doesn’t have to open her eyes to know that she and Yujin were turning into the knight and princess of her dreams. 

.

.

.

.

THE END.

.

.

A/N:
weeehoooo. Hope you enjoyed this one :D

Hope everyone is staying happy and safe! Wishing all of you good health <3