say somethin', Yujin don't be so shy! (1/2)

Oh, Vicky! - Annyeongz one shot collection

“Dude. Have you thought of who you want to go to the dance with? You going to ask someone?” Jihoon pelts a rock into the water, pouting when it didn’t bounce like he hoped it would. 

 

“Are you scared?” Sungchan laughs hard, his hand covering his mouth. “Miss ‘Big Shot’ An Yujin?”
 

“Big Shot?” Yujin raises an eyebrow. Jihoon and Sungchan nod. “C-come on, guys. You’re just exaggerating at this point. I’m really not a big deal, please stop saying that.” 

 

“True. You are pretty small for a basketball player.” 

 

“Only compared to you! Stupid male.” 

 

“Yujin!” Jihoon shakes his head sternly. “You’re forgetting that you’re only in junior year and you’ve been voted captain of the Varsity basketball team. And in Freshman year they already were asking you to play for Varsity during Sophomore year. Don’t discredit yourself, Bestie.” 

 

Yujin and Sungchan caught eyes and mockingly mimicked Jihoon’s way of saying ‘Bestie’. 

 

“Stop diverting the question.” Jihoon wags his finger in Yujin’s direction, a giddy smile on his face. “Let’s go back to talking about the person you’re in love with.” 

 

“In love? Wha-” Yujin sputters, her face going completely red. “I’m not in love with Wonyoung!” 

 

Yujin’s best friends let out a snigger which eventually turns into bellowing laughter. Albeit, one is a little more fuller than the other, someone’s voice dropped a little earlier than the other’s. The ‘someone’ being Sungchan the ‘other’ being Jihoon. 

 

“What’s so funny?” Yujin glares at the two boys. 

 

Jihoon wipes at the tears in his eyes. “We never said anything about Wonyoung~ Yujin loves Wonyoung! Yujin loves Wonyoung.” 

 

Yujin groans and pounces on the boy, pushing him roughly into the water. The boy is only able to let out a small squeak that’s quickly cut off by his head being submerged underwater. He struggles against Yujin’s strong grip for a moments before the girl finally lets him go, not before splashing him quickly. 

 

She also splashes at her other best friend, who is still chuckling on the side while watching the whole debacle. 

 

“Yujin loves WHO?” 

 

The three best friends completely freeze. 

 

“L-Liz!” 

 

Kim Jiwon, or Liz as she likes to be called, Yujin’s junior in the basketball team, is standing on the sand with her hands on her hips and her eyes wide. 

 

Jihoon feels fear course through him when he catches Liz’s eyes. But, not because of Liz. 

 

It was in that moment, when he looked into Yujin’s blazing eyes that he knew he was done for. This was his last day on earth. The girl may be slightly smaller than him but height and physicalities do not matter at this point of time. Yujin is a sweetheart, the Sunshine protector to Jihoon’s sunshine. Just… not right now.

 

“JIHOON! I’m going to KILL YOU!” Yujin goes to lunge for the boy again but he’s already dashing out of the ocean, running towards the only place Yujin can’t attack him: the male toilets. Well, she still physically could. But, the girl did NOT want to go in there. 

 

Yujin’s left holding her head in the ocean, groaning into the water. 

 

“Girl…” Liz shakes her head, “if you said you were only joking I would have believed you.” 

 

“He is joking.” Sungchan covers for Yujin who can nod with her head still in her hands. She’s refusing to look Liz in the eyes in her state. “Yujin’s not in love with Jang Wonyoung.” 

 

Yujin never understood why everybody said Jihoon was the nicer one out of the two boys. Jihoon was an absolute DEMON. Sungchan had a cold demeanor but he was really nice. 

 

“Not yet, at least.” Sungchan adds, a sly grin on his face. 

 

Scratch that. Both of Yujin’s best friends are actual demons. 

 

“Say, Liz? As the only one out of all of us that’s dating someone. If you’ve been crushing on someone for… say- I don’t know- maybe two and a half years? And haven’t told them yet? What is that considered? Love? Infatuation? Obsession? Cowardice?”

 

Yujin glares. Hard. Directly at Sungchan. She doesn’t even know what to do with herself at this point. 

 

Liz’s eyes flits to Yujin’s amusedly. 

 

“It’s definitely dedicated.” Liz’s teasing but it’s obvious she finds Yujin’s mortification quite cute. “As for the ‘not telling them yet’? It’s not cowardly. They might not want to ruin their friendship. The other person might stop talking to them.” 

 

Sungchan takes one look at Yujin. Then he lets out a bark of laughter. 

 

“What? What’s so funny?” 

 

“Nothing, nothing.” Sungchan hums. “It’s just hard for the other person to stop talking to them when they’ve never talked to each other in the first place.” 

 

Yujin has had enough at this point and she lunges for Sungchan, locking him into a chokehold, all while Sungchan is laughing deeply, his head thrown back and his cheeks red. Liz, too, can’t stop laughing from where she’s watching on the sand. 

 

“We’ve talked before, !” 

 

“Wonyoung asking you to move out the way so she can get to the toilet does not count, Yujin!” 

 

“Stop saying her name so loud!” 

 

“Who’s name? Wonyoung’s? Oh, sorry, Yujin! Don’t want the world to know you’re too much of a coward to ask out Won- MMPH!” 

 

Yujin lets out a sigh of relief when she’s finally able to dunk Sungchan’s head into the water. 

 

She directs her attention to Liz who is still chuckling. 

 

“What are you laughing at?” Yujin huffs, releasing Sungchan’s head from under the water. But, not before giving his hair one more rough tug. 

 

“You’ve been crushing on Wonyoung since Freshman year? No wonder you reject everybody who asks you out.” Liz says. She smiles evilly. “Wait until Ningning hears about this.” 

 

Yujin’s eyes widen. 

 

“Don’t you dare, Liz.” 

 

“Try me, Captain An.” Liz sticks her tongue out at Yujin. She turns around, waving at the rest of the basketball team. “Hey, girls! I have something I need to tell you! You know Ningning’s best friend? Well-”

 

“I’ll tell Rei about how you used to like Fifth Harmony!” 

 

Liz clamps a hand over her own mouth. 

 

“Wait! Please, no! Sorry, Yujin best captain- no, Yujin Bolton! I love you, Bestie. Please, don’t tell my girlfriend about my history with Camila Cabello.” 

 

“Hmmm… maybe I’ll just tell her about how you used to write Camren fanfiction.” 

 

“Yujin! I’m sorry! Please, don’t do this.” Liz desperately pleads. She gets on her knees, two hands clasped and the biggest pout on her face. “I won’t tell anyone that you like Wonyoung, I promise!” 

 

“Captain likes Wonyoung?” 

 

“Wait, like WONYOUNG Wonyoung?” 


“Oh my God! Yujinnie has a crush!” 

 

“Unnie! You never told us you liked somebody.” 

 

It’s official. Jihoon, Sungchan and Liz? It is time that they start to plan their funerals. 

 

…………………..

 

“Wonyoung!” 

 

It’s inevitable that if you tell Kim Jiwon a secret, the rest of the basketball team is bound to know. And because of that, the rest of the school. 

 

“Oh, hi Ningning.” Wonyoung gives her best friend a small smile. 

 

The friend, a cheerleader clad in her uniform, is panting at the moment. 

 

“Girl.” Ningning catches her breath. “Is your phone dead again? Why aren’t you answering- you know what, it doesn’t matter right now. Just come with me. You have to come see this.” 

 

“Oh.” Wonyoung thinks to how she has plans to work on some student council things during her free period. It’s the first day of school but she’s staying on top of things. She looks at Ningning who is waiting for her to join her. Because she can’t say no, she shrugs and follows her. “Okay.” 

 

Ningning leads her to the school gym and Wonyoung is surprised to see that apparently the entire school is watching what’s going on. 

 

There in the middle of the court are two people: one guy and one girl. Both were fairly tall but the guy was about half a head taller than the girl.

 

“Come on. Is that the best you got?” The boy says in the most condescending tone. 

 

“What is he doing?” Wonyoung furrows her eyes. It was quite upsetting, seeing the way he sounded so mean. The girl must have really pissed him off. 

 

Surprisingly, the girl doesn’t even say anything. She just clenches her jaw and stands in the middle of the court, breathing heavily. From where Wonyoung is sitting in the stands, she can see the way the girls’ basketball jersey is clinging to her skin, the beads of sweat on her arms reflecting in the light of the gym. 

 

“You haven’t heard?” Ningning says. “You really meant it when you said you don’t care about High School gossip.” 

 

Wonyoung just shrugs at that. Ningning is right. 

 

Wonyoung grimaces hard when the boy steps in front of the girl as she’s going to shoot. Because of his much larger frame, the force of hitting him sends the girl flying to the ground, a thud resonating through the gym. Everyone in the gym starts to whisper excitedly at what’s happening. 

 

Wonyoung thinks that even though she has basically spent 10 years or so watching basketball games, she really can’t understand the appeal. It’s just people running up and down a court. And it gets very boring after awhile. 

 

The girl coughs. 

 

“Give up yet?” The boy is laughing while staring at the obviously exhausted girl on the ground. She has a hand on her chest while she tries to catch her breath. 

 

“No.” The girl breathes out, mustering her strength to sit up. The whole gym breaks out into small cheers and whispers. 


The boy only stares at her, long and hard with an unreadable expression. Then he chuckles harshly. 

 

“Next week. Same time, same place, Kid.” The boy throws the ball roughly towards the girl who catches it with ease despite how tired she is. 

 

Then he turns on his heel, heading for the door and leaving the girl stranded in the middle of the court clutching onto the basketball. 

 

“He sounds pissed.” Ningning says. “I’ve never seen him this way before.”

 

When Wonyoung doesn’t say anything, Ningning turns to her. 

 

“Have you? Seen him act like that before?” 

 

“Only when Mom tells him he can’t go out unless he cleans his room.” Wonyoung replies. “But, it’s not often, no.” 

 

Wonyoung watches her older brother walk out the door and decides that she needs to talk to him. 

 

……………………………..

 

“Sunghoon oppa?” Wonyoung pipes up on the car ride home with her brother. “What happened during lunch today?” 

 

“You saw that?” Sunghoon says. “Just running a joint practice with both basketball teams.” 

 

“I only saw you playing with one person, though?.” 

 

Sunghoon stops at a red light and casts a glance at his younger sister. 

 

“Do you know who she is?” 

 

Wonyoung shakes her head. 

 

“Really?” Sunghoon looks slightly surprised. “Well, she’s the captain of the girls’ basketball team.” 

 

“Did she do something wrong?” 

 

Sunghoon sighs deeply and steps on the accelerator. 

 

“Don’t worry about it.” Sunghoon says. “Anyways, how’s all the dance preparations going?” 

 

“Good. The school council and I already had it planned over summer break.” 

 

Sunghoon nods. Sounds like his sister. 

 

“Are you going with a date to the dance?” Sunghoon looks straight ahead, too scared to look Wonyoung in the face. 

 

“No.” Wonyoung is quick to answer. “Nobody has asked me yet.” 

 

“Interesting.” Sunghoon says. They pull up to their house and he watches as his younger sister gently unbuckles her seatbelt and gracefully steps out of the car. She has one hand holding her skirt down and the other clutching some textbooks that didn’t fit in her backpack. 

 

It’s not until Wonyoung shuts the door when Sunghoon shakes his head with an amused chuckle. 

 

“Well, I definitely know someone who will ask her soon.” 

 

That is, if she could get over the embarrassment from today. Oh, how Sunghoon enjoys gatekeeping his little sister. 

 

……………………………………

 

“Everyone is still talking about how Sunghoon hyung kicked your on Monday.” 

 

Yujin groans. “It’s Wednesday already, I thought they would have stopped by now.” 

 

“It’s because Jihoon brings it up everywhere he goes.” Sungchan slaps the back of his head. “He’s a bit of an instigator.” 

 

“I can’t help it! Good gossip is so hard to come by nowadays. I couldn’t let this go to waste. And it literally happened on the first day of the school year! You’re so unlucky, Yujin.” Jihoon pouts. 

 

Yujin puts her head into her hands, trying to hold back a yell. She barely hears the sound of the door opening, almost missing it. Luckily, she doesn’t. 

 

“, customers.” Yujin says. “Shoo shoo.” 

 

“It’s a bookstore, Yujin.” Jihoon says. “It’s not a crime to talk to some people.” 

 

“Please, this is only my second shift.” Yujin says. “I want to look professional. 

 

Jihoon and Sungchan both chuckle, walking a few steps away to make it look like they’re doing something productive. 

 

Yujin opens up the cash register, pretending to count some money. There really was no point in doing so, because everyone used credit cards nowadays. 

 

“Um, hello. May I ask a question?” 

 

Yujin looks up at the voice. 

 

Then she slams the cash register shut, trapping her fingers in it. 

 

“RAWR!” Yujin lets out instinctively. Her friends and family always laughed at her for her unique way of expressing when she was in pain. 

 

“A-are you okay?” Thin, long fingers quickly rest on top of Yujin’s wrist and Yujin is about to disintegrate right then and there. 

 

Standing right in front of Yujin, is Wonyoung, the reason why she is standing behind the register, battered and bruised. Well, the indirect reason, at least. 

 

“I’m good.” Yujin says. “I’m a strong girl. I’m used to it. Being hurt. Not slamming my fingers into the cash register. And by being hurt I mean like, cause I play basketball, right? So, I’m always falling over and stuff but it’s cool. What I’m saying is I have a high pain tolerance. Only for physical pain though, not emotional, I’m quite sensitive.” 

 

The hand is retracted from Yujin’s wrist and she almost lets out a sigh of relief. 

 

“Okay.” says Wonyoung. “Um, I just wanted to ask if you sold planners here? Like diary planners?” 

 

Yujin nods. “Yup! We do!” 

 

“Thank you.” Wonyoung says. She stops talking and looks at Yujin expectantly. 

 

Yujin only blinks at Wonyoung, half wondering why she is still standing there and half admiring just how absolutely gorgeous she looks up close. She’s an angel. A goddess. 

 

“Um… so, where could I find them?” 

 

“O-oh sure! Follow me- RAWR!” 

 

…………………………………….

 

“Captain? May I ask you a question?” 

 

“Of course, Rei.” Yujin smiles at her younger teammate. She’s always felt protective of her. Well, she felt protective of all of her teammates but there was something about Rei that was different. Like she felt an extra responsibility to look after her. 

 

Rei looks at her, a serious look on her face. “Why do you look like you got hit by a bus?”  

 

Nevermind. Rei is on her own from now on. 

 

Yujin brings a hand up to her eye, which was forming a nice bruise around it. 

 

“Rei. Take this advice from your Leader unnie.” Yujin sighs. “When you start needing love advice? Do not come to me. That’s all I’m going to say on this topic.” 

 

“I have a g-girlfriend though, aren’t you the one that needs the advice?”

 

Yujin doesn’t even have time to shoot Rei a glare because another teammate, Gaeul, comes up from behind her younger teammate and deadpans, robotically, “it’s because Wonyoung came to the bookstore where Yujin works and then Yujin panicked and bumped into the book shelf causing the books to come crashing down onto her and one book basically took her eye out.” 

 

“No wonder she’s been in practice today.” Liz sniggers. ”She can’t see.” 

 

“What are you talking about? I can still see thank you very much-” 

 

“And that was AFTER slamming her fingers into the cash register.” 

 

“How do you guys even know that?” Yujin looks incredulously at her teammate who had just spoken. Her classmate, Kazuha. “I don’t remember telling you guys about the story.” 

 

“Jihoon made a group chat just to update us on any tea about you.” Liz throws a basketball in Yujin’s direction, reminding her that they still have to practice.

 

“That’s great!” Yujin says with fake excitement. She makes her face serious again before she deadpans, “so you can always talk about it later instead of during practice. Enough of my non-existent lovelife, gimme twenty burpees!” 

 

Before the team is able to even being to groan about the burpees, the sound of someone clearing their throat makes them stop in their tracks. 

 

“As a cheerleader I know I don’t have rights to run practice, but I do think it’ll be a good idea to talk about your lovelife.” 

 

“Non-existent.” Yujin says, panicking a little. “T-there’s nothing going on between me and your best friend.”

 

Ningning walks more into the room.

 

“Yeah, cause you’re a loser.” Ningning snickers. She heads over to the bleachers where a lone bag is sitting. “I don’t know what all those freshmen kids see in you.”  

 

“We don’t know, either.” Gaeul mumbles under her breath and Yujin shoots both Gaeul and Liz a glare when she hears Liz snicker way too hard at the quip. 

 

“Okay, everyone!” Yujin pinches the bridge of her nose. “Let’s take a 5 minute break, shall we?” 

 

She quickly jogs over to Ningning. 

 

“Hey, Ningning?” Yujin says, hesitantly. “Does Wonyoung know?” 

 

Yujin lets out a sigh of relief when Ningning shakes her head. 

 

“She’s a very smart and trustworthy girl. But, she’s as dense as that sponge cake you made in home economics last year.” 

 

“Hey! Don’t you slander my cake.” 

 

“Do yourself a favour and never cook for Wonyoung.” 

 

“I-I wasn’t planning to.” 

 

“Good.” Ningning sniggers. “Knowing you, you were probably planning on baking her a cake to ask her to the dance. Which would be a good idea, anyways. She loves cake. And bread. And steak.” 

 

“I noticed.” Yujin says with a dreamy smile. “She always posts pictures of them on her stories.” 

 

When she doesn’t hear Ningning react, Yujin breaks out of her daydreaming to look at Ningning. The cheerleader is looking at her judgmentally. 

 

“What?” 

 

“You’re down bad, my friend.” Ningning says. 

 

Yujin crosses her arms, but doesn’t deny it. 

 

“So, are you actually going to ask her to the dance?” Ningning raises an eyebrow. “Because, I overheard a few people today saying they plan on asking her. You better ask her, quick.” 

 

“WHAT? So soon?” Yujin drops the basketball in her hands onto her foot and she grimaces a little. “The dance is 3 months away!” 

 

“And Jang Wonyoung is the prettiest girl in the school.” Ningning crosses her arms. “Look, An. I like you, a lot. I really do. You’d be messed in the head to ever find reasons to dislike you. That’s why you’re the most well-liked person in this school. Hell, I bet even in this town.” 

 

“Oh, thank you, Ningning.” Yujin says.

 

“You’re the only person I’d trust to take Wonyoung to the dance.” Ningning points a finger at Yujin’s chest. “So, you better chop chop, little pup. Are you doing anything this afternoon?” 

 

“Kind of.” 

 

“Well, cancel it.” Ningning says. “This is the one day of the week that Wonyoung has spare time to go with us to the mall. You’ll be going to the mall, too. I’ll make sure the other girls leave you and Wonyoung alone. And you’re going to ask her to the dance tonight.” 

 

“HUH?” Yujin’s voice echoes around the gym. She hears gasps from behind her and she turns to see the entire team congregated behind her and listening to the entire conversation. “Geez, guys! You scared the hell out of me. Go away!” 

 

“Ask her to the dance, captain!” 

 

“Guys,” Yujin looks between Ningning and the team, “I can’t ask her now, it’s literally too early.” 

 

“Nothing is too early for Wonyoung.” Ningning shakes her head. “I swear, I need to plan things 4 months in advance if I ever want to hang out with her. Among ballet, council stuff and studying, that girl has no time for anything.” 

 

Yujin puts her head in her hands. Then she lets out a groan of frustration. “Fine! I’ll do it.” 

 

Everybody cheers. 

 

“Now, can we get back to practicing?” Yujin waves her hand. “Please? We have that basketball tournament coming up real soon.” 

 

“Yes, captain!” The team is energetic and they excitedly run back onto the court. 

 

“Woo! Captain’s gonna get a girlfriend!” 

 

“What makes you think Wonyoung will say yes to her?” 

 

“Woo! Captain might get humiliated!” 

 

“Who said that? Kazuha! Liz! 3 laps around the gym and then 40 burpees. Each! Don’t make me bench you for the next game.” 

 

…………………. 

 

“I’m going to throw up.” 

 

“Yasss.” 

 

“No, like I actually feel sick, Jihoon.” 

 

“Oh. Naurrrrr.” 

 

The trio of best friends are sitting in the mall food court, munching on a variety of fried foods that they’re stocking up on after training. 

 

“You’ll be fine, Yujin.” Gaeul says. She and Liz decided to join Yujin because she did not trust Jihoon and Sungchan to give her good advice. 

 

“Unless, Sunghoon-nim shows up.” Jihoon says. “Then you’re probably toast.” 

 

“Yeah, he’s the real thing standing in the way of the two of them.” Sungchan agrees with him. 

 

“Pfft.” Liz sniggers at that. “You sure about that? The way I see it, it’s Yujin herself that’s standing in the way of her asking Jang Wonyoung to the dance.” 

 

“How so?” Jihoon says, mouth full of french fries. 

 

Liz chuckles at Yujin who is sitting quietly and listening to the whole conversation. 

 

“Have you seen her try to TALK to Jang Wonyoung? She turns into a whole mess!” Liz gestures towards Yujin. She points at Yujin’s black eye and the bandaids on her fingers. “I mean look! She gets injured whenever she tries to talk to her!” 

 

“That’s not my fault! She caught me off guard!” 

 

“She even hurt her foot during practice today at the mere mention of her.” 

 

“Shut up, Liz.” Yujin huffs and crosses her arms. 

 

“Liz is right. You should just talk to her.” Gaeul nods. “Other than your inability to form a coherent sentence when she’s around, there’s not really anything stopping you.” 

 

“Hello? Are we forgetting that fact that Sunghoon hyung almost beat her UP in front of the entire school because he found out that Yujin’s in love with Wonyoung?” Jihoon says incredulously. “You know him? Wonyoung’s scary BROTHER?” 

 

“I’m not in love with her, it’s just a crush-” 

 

“And? Weren’t you listening? Yujin gets hurt every time she talks to Wonyoung in general, anyways.” Liz lets out a laugh. No one on the table is listening to Yujin at this point. 

 

Sungchan nods. “Her brother is doing her a favor by preparing her for what she’ll have to face next time she has to talk to Wonyoung.” 

 

“Guys!” Yujin pouts. “I’m literally sitting right here! I can talk to Jang Wonyoung! Next time I see her I’m going to talk to her and I will ask her to the dance! You watch your mouths! And I’m not going to injure myself.”

 

Everyone on the table shoot each other a look. 

 

“Well, turn around.” Gaeul chuckles. “Prove it to us.” 

 

Yujin turns around, a sinking feeling in her stomach when she drops her gaze onto the topic of the conversation itself and the cause of Yujin’s grief, Jang Wonyoung. 

 

“Go, captain!” Gaeul teases. She gives Yujin a little shove. “Go get your girl!” 

 

Yujin is frozen. Wonyoung is standing in line in front of the Poké bowl station with a whole group of her friends. Yujin has never talked to any of them before because they were all student council members and Yujin was kind of scared of all of them. Also, Ningning was there and she was giving her a knowing look. Wait, nevermind, she was just laughing at Yujin.  

 

Yujin looks away from Ningning and towards her friends who are giving her a thumbs up. 

 

When she turns away, their thumbs drop quickly. 

 

“Oh, she’s done for.” Gaeul shakes her head. 

 

“Here goes nothing.” Yujin whispers to herself. 

 

As Yujin is making her way to the group, she sees most of Wonyoung’s friends beelining for a spare table in the food court. She could only assume this was Ningning’s doing. Ningning, the only who was still there with Wonyoung. 

 

“Oh, hey there.” Ningning greets Yujin once she’s close enough. 

 

Wonyoung doesn’t look up from her phone, she seems to be engrossed in whoever she’s texting. 

 

Ningning looks at Yujin, then she eyes Wonyoung. 

 

“Wonyoung-ah.” Ningning calls her name and Wonyoung finally looks up from her phone to look at her friend. “You remember all our orders, right?” 

 

Wonyoung nods at that. 

 

“Is it okay if you order them? I have to call my cousin about something.” Ningning puts her phone in pocket, shooting a pointed look at Yujin. 

 

“Okay.” Wonyoung says. 

 

“Thanks, ‘Youngie.” Ningning says and Yujin gulps when she walks past her. “See you around, Yujin” 

 

Upon hearing Ningning talk to the extra person, Wonyoung rests her gaze on Yujin. They lock eyes for the briefest of moments before Yujin is whipping her head to look at the ground. 

 

She feels her cheeks warming up and she curses inside, hoping that her blush wasn’t so obvious. 

 

It doesn’t help that Yujin can feel Wonyoung peering at her. 

 

Yujin starts freaking out, trying to find something to do. She hastily rummages through her backpack to find her phone, taking it out quickly. 

 

It would have been fine and normal if she wasn’t An Yujin. An Yujin who becomes a blubbering and clumsy mess around Jang Wonyoung. 

 

Now here she is, in the middle of the food court in front of the Poké bowl food stall and next to Jang Wonyoung, her hands scrambling to pick up her belongings from the floor. Because, for some reason, in the process of taking out her phone, Yujin manages to empty out the entirety of her backpack’s contents onto the floor of the food court. 

 

And to top things off, as she’s picking up the papers, she gets a papercut on the hand that wasn’t already bandaged. 

 

“Rawr!” 

 

Wonyoung is in the middle of helping Yujin out when she stops and peers at Yujin’s face. 

 

“Oh, you’re the girl from the bookstore.” Wonyoung says. “You helped me find the planners yesterday.” 

 

She looks at Yujin’s hand but Yujin is still staring at her, frozen and absolutely mortified. 

 

“Are you okay?” Wonyoung says, turning her head to try to inspect Yujin’s hands. 

 

“I’m-” Yujin’s voice cracks and she quickly clears , “I’m good. I’m good.” 

 

Wonyoung nods, a pondering look on her face. She’s staring intently at Yujin’s papercut finger. Then she gives Yujin a polite smile before going back to her phone. 

 

Yujin is left standing next to Wonyoung like a dumb fish. She looks at her friends who are gesturing for her to just talk to her. 

 

“So,” Yujin says, “you ordering cake?” 

 

Wonyoung looks up at Yujin. Then she looks at the menu. Then back to Yujin. 

 

“I don’t think they sell cake here?” Wonyoung says.

Yujin hastily looks at the menu. 

 

“R-right. Of course they don’t. I meant, uh—” Yujin squints at the menu, “steak! Are you going to order the steak?” 

 

Wonyoung pushes her lips forward into a thinking pout and Yujin almost dies at the cute sight. 

 

“I was thinking about it. But, I don’t like the way they cook the steak here.” 

 

“Oh. How do they cook it?” 

 

“It’s too well done.” Wonyoung says. “And I don’t like the cut they use.” 

 

“What do you like, then?” Yujin says. 

 

“Sirloin.” Wonyoung lets out an excited smile. “And I like it when it’s medium rare.” 

 

“Oh, yeah yeah.” Yujin says. “Me too, me too.” 

 

“Really?” Wonyoung beams at her. 

 

“Oh, yeah. I love sir—” Yujin trails off, “—that cut of steak.” 

 

“Have you tried the steak from Outback?” Wonyoung says and Yujin shakes her head. “It’s soooo good. You should try it.” 


“Sure.” Yujin smiles happily at Wonyoung who is stepping forward to the cashier and looking at the cashier. Yujin thinks she even looks cute while ordering food. How does one make such mundane things look adorable? 

 

She hears Wonyoung order but the order doesn’t register because Yujin is too busy listening to the inflections of Wonyoung’s voice. Something she’s always liked about Wonyoung’s voice was how gentle it was. She wasn’t loud but she wasn’t soft spoken either. And of course, she just sounded cute. 

 

“How may I help you?” the cashier calls Yujin after Wonyoung finishes paying for all the orders. 

 

“Um.” Yujin looks at the menu and then at Wonyoung’s figure rummaging through her backpack. Yujin points at the menu. “The salmon one.” 

 

The only thing that Yujin thinks afterwards is, damn. These poké bowls are kind of expensive.

 

“Give me your hand.” Wonyoung says when Yujin makes her way to the order collect counter. 

 

“Huh?” 

 

Wonyoung nods her head towards Yujin’s hands. 

 

“Oh, right.” Yujin lifts up her bandaged hand, nonchalantly. 

 

Wonyoung shakes her head. “Your other one.” 

 

“This one?” Yujin lifts up the other one. 

 

Wonyoung nods and takes her hand. She walks closer towards Yujin to inspect Yujin’s fingers. Yujin feels her breath hitch in the back of .

 

And then, Wonyoung skillfully unwraps the band-aid she was holding between her fingers and places it around Yujin’s ring finger. Yujin swears she hears wedding bells.

 

“For your papercut.” Wonyoung says. 

 

Yeah, Yujin is done for. 

 

Yujin feels excessive vibrating coming from her phone and she resists the urge to roll her eyes. Way to ruin the moment. From behind Wonyoung’s head, she could see her friends frantically smashing away on their phones. Wait, was Liz filming them? 

 

“Are you usually clumsy?” Wonyoung says.

 

“I’ve been told, yes.” 

 

Wonyoung hums. “Well, I’ve done first-aid training, so let me know if you ever need patching up.” 

 

It’s official. Jang Wonyoung is an angel. 

 

And Yujin is just a lovesick fool. 

 

“The dance!” 

 

A lovesick fool who cannot hold a conversation for the life of her. 

 

Now Wonyoung is standing in the middle of the food court with a bewildered look, aimed straight at the lovesick fool Yujin. 

 

“What about it?” 

 

“Are you going?” 

 

“Oh yes, of course. I’m the MC for the night.” 

 

“I mean like, are you going with anyone? To the dance?” 

 

“Oh.” Wonyoung’s eyes seem to register what’s going on. “No, I’m not.” 

 

“Oh, cool.” Yujin scratches her head. “I-I mean, not that it’s cool that you don’t have a date— well, I mean there’s nothing wrong with being dateless but I doubt you would be because I know a bunch of people that would wanna like, ask you to the dance anyways.” 

 

“Really?” Wonyoung took her tray of orders. 

 

“Hell yeah.” Yujin says. She gestures towards the second tray. “Is this also yours?” 

 

Wonyoung nods and Yujin grabs the tray, too.

 

“I’ll help you.” Yujin smiles. Her hands are shaking but she focuses on her breathing to calm herself. 

 

“Thank you.” Wonyoung say. “What was your name, sorry? I forgot to ask.” 

 

“Yujin! An Yujin.” 

 

“I’m Wonyoung.” 

 

“I know.” Yujin says without thinking. “I-I mean, how could I not? You’re on the student council and stuff.” 

 

“I feel bad.” Wonyoung says. “I don’t know who you are. You go to our school, right?” 

 

“Yup yup! I’m good friends with Ningning, she’s my favorite cheerleader.” Yujin says. Then she quickly adds, “not that I’m into her or anything, actually someone in the basketball team is into her so I’m kinda playing wingman for them.” 

 

“Wingman?” Wonyoung says, suddenly very interested. “Who likes her?” 

 

Yujin closes tightly. “I’ve said too much.” 

 

Wonyoung stares at Yujin for a beat. 

 

“Will you tell me, one day?” 

 

Good Lord. Wonyoung had the cutest pleading face. She looked like an emoji, for crying out loud! That pout! Yujin is toast. 

 

“RAWR!”

 

Wonyoung and Yujin stop in the middle of the food court, both staring at each other. 

 

“What happened?” Wonyoung questions, head tilting to the side. 

 

Yujin takes a deep breath to assess the situation because quite frankly, even she doesn’t know what just happened. She hadn’t done anything but she still managed to get hurt. 

 

It’s her chest. It’s hurting. But, somehow it’s hurting in a pleasant way. 

 

Wonyoung’s eyebrows cutely furrow and Yujin feels that pain in her chest again. 

 

Oh. Now she knows what it is. 

 

“Are you okay, Yujin?” 

 

Yujin coughs a little bit to shake herself out of her daze. 

 

“I’m peachy. I’m good, I’m good.” 

 

“Are you having trouble breathing or something? Are you asthmatic?” 

 

“Nope, no. I’m good! I’m good.” 

 

“Are you sure?” 

 

“Positive.” 

 

Wonyoung is looking at her with a frown on her face and Yujin feels yet another attack on her heart. She must have grimaced because Wonyoung seems to grow even more concerned. 

 

“You really don’t look okay. What happened?” 

 

“It’s n-nothing, it’s just your face.” 

 

Yujin freezes.

 

“U-uhhh, I mean—“

 

“My face?” Wonyoung raises an eyebrow. 

 

“Wait, no! That’s not what I mean. I was just looking at you, that’s all.” 

 

“So… looking at my face gives you chest pains?” 

 

“Yes!” Yujin says, a little too excitedly.

 

“Um… okay?” 

 

“Wait, no! That’s not what I’m trying to say. You’re cute! That’s what I’m trying to say.” 

 

“I’m sorry?”

 

“Will you go to the dance with me?” Yujin suddenly blurts out. 

 

Yujin is incredibly grateful for the amount of noise the food court is making because she has no idea how she would have handled the moments of silence that Wonyoung was giving. 

 

“Oh?” Wonyoung finally says. “You’re asking me to the dance?” 

 

Yujin doesn’t trust her voice at the moment, so she only nods in response. 

 

“Um… sorry, but… no.” Wonyoung says after a few moments of deliberating. 

 

Yujin looks up quickly, her cheeks turning hot. 

 

“That’s alright!” Yujin says hastily. “I-I don’t know what I was thinking.” 

 

Wonyoung only watches silently as Yujin blubbers on. The council officer barely flinches when Yujin starts giggling like crazy.

 

“It was great to… uh… meet you, talk to you. I will try that— um… the sir steak from Outback. Yeah. Yup!” 

 

“Thank you for asking me.” Wonyoung says quickly before Yujin can beeline for her table. “It’s just that, I don’t know you.” 

 

Yujin clasps her fingers together and plays with them awkwardly. “Why yes! Of course! You don’t. Know me. Who I am! Pfft, why would you go to the dance with me if you don’t know me, right?” 

 

Wonyoung bites her lips awkwardly while Yujin coughs.

 

“I’ll just bring this order to your table.” Yujin ducks her head and speedily makes her way to the table of council members who seem engrossed in conversation. Only Ningning notices Yujin’s presence. 

 

“Stupid. Stupid.” Yujin says to herself once she makes the humiliating journey back to her table of friends who are watching her like she is some kind of comedic movie.

 

“What happened?” Jiwon asks when Yujin comes back to the table. But, Yujin doesn’t answer her, because her head is in her hands. 

 

Yujin thinks that if she cannot see Jang Wonyoung then Jang Wonyoung cannot see her. 

 

“That bad, huh?” Jihoon chuckles as Gaeul pats Yujin in the back. “It’s okay, buddy. We got you.” 

 

It’s a nightmare, really. Yujin doesn’t think she’s ever faced anything more embarrassing than this in her life. And she’s been through one too many embarrassing situations. Like that one time she farted during basketball tryouts. Or that other time where she made her home economics teacher gag upon tasting the strange concoction she managed to make. Or those multiple times she turned into a human punching bag everytime Wonyoung came within reaching distance. 

 

Oh, God, Wonyoung. Jang freaking Wonyoung. Good thing Yujin never has to see her again. Their lives barely cross. Yujin has to bend over backwards just to have a glimpse of her while going home. Surely, Yujin can avoid her for the rest of High School. She has this year and then the next. Well, knowing Wonyoung she’ll probably be accepted early into some sort of Ivy League school so perhaps it’s only one and a half years—

 

“Yujin?” 

 

Oh, man. Yujin is losing the plot. She’s hearing her voice now. 

 

Yujin sputters when she feels a sharp elbow to her rib and she looks up to glare at Jihoon, the culprit. She’s about to cuss him out when she feels the overwhelming presence of purity and holiness. 

 

“W-Wonyoung!” 

 

Screw never seeing her again, Yujin decides. She may be embarrassed but Yujin would rather die than never see that beautiful face ever again. 

 

Wonyoung seems slightly uncomfortable under the gazes of everyone on Yujin’s table. If Yujin had half a mind she’d be kicking them all, forbidding them from ever looking in Wonyoung’s direction ever again. Good thing Yujin’s mind had just turned into mush, so she was in no capacity to think in that moment. 

 

“You forgot to collect your order.” Wonyoung says. 

 

True to her words, the random salmon thing that Yujin had ordered was resting between Wonyoung’s long and dainty fingers. 

 

“Oh, thanks.” Yujin keeps it short and sweet. She takes the food and gives Wonyoung a polite bow of the head.

 

Wonyoung looks like she wants to say something, but decides against it. 

 

Then she’s gone and Yujin releases a breath that she didn’t know she was holding. 

 

“You’re an absolute mess.” Gaeul shakes her head. “I have never seen anything like it. And I had to watch Jiwon try to ask out Rei.”

 

“Yup— wait, hey!” Jiwon pouts. 

 

Yujin simply puts her face into her hands once more. Hugging the poké bowl close to her.

 

“Oh no, she’s sniffling.” Jihoon moves away uncomfortably from Yujin. “You guys handle it, I at people crying.” 

 

“There there.” Gaeul says. “Do you want to get out of here so you can cry somewhere more private?” 

 

Yujin doesn’t say anything. 

 

Why? Because she wasn’t actually crying. 

 

The poké bowl just smells like Wonyoung’s perfume. 

 

……………………

 

(“Are you okay, Wonwon?” Ningning eyes the girl playing with her poké bowl.

 

“Pardon? Oh, I’m fine.” Wonyoung fiddles with her biodegradable fork. 

 

Ningning isn’t convinced but doesn’t say anything.

 

“Actually, Ningning, you know the tournament up north with the basketball team this weekend?” Wonyoung says out of the blue. 

 

“Yup?”

 

“Are they still needing a photographer?”)

 

 

.....................................

 

A/N: 

Hi! :D 

So, I have an entire playlist of early 2000s pop songs/songs that give me middle school vibes and while listening to them I get inspired to write all these cute HS rom-com stories. I guess you can say I'm using Annyeongz as my creative outlet for all these thoughts hahaha. I love fluff so much. Writing fluff is so fun and cute. I love this nervous and dorky loser Yujin, my little sunshine baby jock. Smart but dense Wonyoung is such a cute concept, too. Imagine Wonyoung walking around with her books clutched to her chest and thinking about that maths assignment she's going to work on during free period all while not noticing how everyone at school stops and stares at her when she walks by. 

Hope you guys enjoyed! Keep an eye out for part 2!! 

Also, if anyone has any suggestions as to who should have a crush on Ningning, let me know. Otherwise, I have someone in my head already.