V. The Thin Line Between Dreams and Reality

I Don't Want to Wake Up and Know a Love That is Not You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Okay please tell me driving here to your apartment this early is worth it," Giselle said while removing her shoes in the apartment's front door.

Winter told Ningning to call Giselle so she can tell her herself the good news and also to fill her in  about her dreams. She knows that even though her bestfriend have enlightened Giselle she still wants to tell the girl herself. Besides, she feels like she'll be spending time with the girl more knowing that Ningning is doing her best to get close to her. 

"I know that I don't look like I cook but I'm actually a Michelin chef. But don't go around telling people that. I don't want Gordon Ramsey's fans trolling me," Winter said, tossing the pancakes in the air.

"Now that you're back to your normal self, if this is what you call normal, I can finally say that you and Ning are really bestfriends. Your confidence both exceed your height. But it's nice to see you this smiley again."

 "Yeah, sorry 'bout that. I'm not usually like... you know, that." Winter said while making animated hand movements. "Thank you for watching over me."

"By the way, I heard you and Ning yesterday. I want us to be friends too, Gi. After all you've done for me I think it's already overdue," said Winter before turning around and focusing on making a new batch of pancakes. 

"Finally! I thought I'd be stuck as your personal driver," Giselle gave out a hearty laugh which Winter followed suit. 

"I'll just go check on Ning. You know projects, updates, and stuffs. Don't put poison on my food cause you'll gonna have to taste it before I eat it," Giselle smiled even though Winter can't see. 

 

***

 

"I really thought you had no plan to use the kitchen. I was so close to reminding you about that beautiful apartment inside the campus that we passed on because you said you can't live without a kitchen," Ningning complained, already halfway on her second serving. 

"I just got no time to cook and you have really early morning classes. You know I love you but there's no way I'll wake up early just to cook for you." 

"First of all, ew. Second, I love you too. Please don't go around crying in the campus again because not every time there's a gorgeous Giselle that will take you home." said Ningning, feeling proud that she managed to segue a compliment to her crush.

"Uh, are you always like this during breakfast? But honestly Winter I agree with Ning, I'm gorgeous but also not always roaming around the campus to save your crying ." Giselle joked.

Their laughs filled the small space in their kitchen before Giselle spoke again. 

"You're not the only one who bears good news this morning. Remember what Yeji said about the dance team? My bestfriend said that they will be throwing a party to welcome the new members of the team and they need photographers and videographers for the event. I volunteered me and Ning to it since we can also get some footage for our project. I also told her that I'll be bringing another friend. So what do you say?" said Giselle, directing her question to Winter.

"When is this welcome party?"

"Saturday night, Yeji will be there too so you don't have to worry about being left alone. And I'll also introduce you both to my bestfriend. I'm sure you'll get along well."

"Just don't tell her about Phoenix Blood. I don't trust myself not to spoil anything."

"Alright! They better get prepared for WinNing!" said Ningning, while holding her butter knife up in the air.

 

***

 

"You should've told me you had plans today. I could've gone to the library earlier," Winter said while drying the plates they used in their breakfast with Giselle. 

It's Sunday and Ningning promised to come with her in the library to look for the crest in the flag that she saw in her dream last Monday. Her bestfriend apparently have an emergency vocal practice to attend to which left Winter alone to go through the history books in the library.

"It'll probably take me the whole day to get through it," she said still mad about her friend's sudden announcement. "I already told them that I had plans for today but the Head Master insist that it's an important performance. You know the choir can't make it without me." 

"You're on cleaning duties till Tuesday. I'm off" said Winter before proceeding to the door. If her notes is right, she has to go through one hundred fifty books about medieval history before the semester ends. She doesn't want to enroll in another history class next semester just to get access. She hates anything that requires the use of excessive brain storage. The university is known to have a large volume of history records, books and artifacts that the other libraries or museums in the country doesn't have. It's one of the main reasons Winter decided to attend SMU. The more access she have in later history means the more chance she can know about her dreams.

 

***

 

"You're on your own, that's new. Where's your friend?" Ryujin, the library assistant who's also an Engineering major, came to Winter with the books that she needs to browse today.

"Vocal practice."

"Too bad. So, I manage to get 49 of the books you asked me. The last book is..." said Ryujin while checking the Library Catalog.

"Someone borrowed them last week. They are scheduled to return them today. I'll just bring it to you when they do." Ryujin handed her the cart full of books. Aside from Ningning, Ryujin used to be the only person who knows that she's the artist behind the famous webtoon, Phoenix's Blood. When the girl found out, she tried to bribe Ningning for advance copies in exchange for daily supplies of tomato juice. Winter thought that she could take advantage of the girl in exchange for a little spoiler.

"It will take hours for me to get all this done. What do you say, you help me with this and I can show you some drafts for the next chapter in exchange?"

"I'll start with these. What are we looking for specifically?" said Ryujin, while grabbing what Winter assumed to be ten books.

 That was quick.

Winter showed Ryujin a rough sketch of the flag she saw in my dreams. It has a band of gold on the bottom for Kwangya, a band of white above, the color of the Queen and four vertical lines to represent the four pillars. At the center is a brilliant gold and white Phoenix clutching a sword in one clawed foot and a pickaxe in the other. 

"We need to look for this logo in the books. If you find anything similar to this, bring it to me. It doesn't need to be exactly a flag, it can also be in an emblem, a crest, on a knight's cape or in a shield." 

"Question. Why do you find all this source materials for your stories? I mean, can't you just make up something, why waste your time looking in history books?" Ryujin asked curiously.

"I only promised you next chapter's draft, not the whole story. Tell me when you find something," she said. Winter occupied the largest table in the History section and opened five books at the same time to skim them simultaneously.

 

***

 

Winter was already halfway through the books when she saw a figu

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter