XI. The Law of Falling II

I Don't Want to Wake Up and Know a Love That is Not You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Winter received a message from Karina in the morning asking if they can meet up at her shop. She woke up with sore neck as a result of sleeping in an awkward position last night. 

In contrast, she felt light. She had a moment of realization last night.

Since it's Sunday, she cooked breakfast for Ningning before she left. She also sent a message to Ryujin to inform the girl that she will not be coming to the library today, as she doesn't know the reason why Karina want to meet up with her all of a sudden.

 

***

 

There was no one in the shop when Winter arrived. She went back to the door to check if the it is already open although there's faint music playing inside. She sent Karina a message telling her that she's already inside.

She heard a notification sound from the back where Yujin and Minju went to last time when she was here. Shortly, Karina emerged wearing an apron, a hair net, and a clear face mask like those worn by fast food staffs. 

"Sorry, didn't hear you come in. Did you have breakfast? There's a good restaurant a few blocks from here, we can grab something," Karina said, removing her apron to completely reveal the baggy blue wool sweater she was wearing underneath. Winter had a glimpse of the girl's bare legs before landing her eyes on her white city sneakers that's identical to what she's currently wearing. Karina still looked overdressed even in a simple outfit. Winter can bet that Karina would still look breathtaking wearing a clown's uniform.

She smiled at the thought.

Anyone inside the restaurant would have thought that they're ordering for a group of five with the amount of food that Karina ordered for them. They went to a short trip to the flower shop while waiting for their orders.

"I'm not sure if Ningning mentioned it to you but Giselle's birthday is in two weeks and I'm thinking maybe we can give her a surprise party," said Karina on their way back to the shop.

"Don't worry, it's going to be just the four of us. I think Giselle would want you and your bestfriend to be there," she added.

"That's a good idea. I think Ningning will agree to that!"

"I'm thinking we do it on the 31st instead of the 30th in case Giselle has other plans. We can do it in our apartment since she mostly spends her time at yours. We have enough rooms so you can spend the night too."

"Sounds great, we can celebrate Halloween too," she suggested, already excited.

 

***

 

After setting up a small table at the back of the soap shop, their lunch is served. Winter drooled at the platters of sliced raw fish, Daegu-Styled spicy beef soup, grilled entrails, makchang, and gopchang, braised short ribs, and kimchi fried rice. With the bonus of side dishes, it was quite enough for five people. 

But if there is one thing her parents always tell her: it's to never waste food. Ever.

Winter sat back, wiping her lips and patting her full stomach. Too much of never wasting food. Karina, on the other hand, is talking about some History paper due next week.

"I should offer you to do it together but I have a different idea. Say, do you want to learn how to make soaps? I'm making some from the flowers we bought," Karina said, watching Winter clean up the table.

If Winter have to be honest, she'd had the idea since the first time Karina took her to the shop but she doesn't want to sound excited. 

 "You didn't asked me to come to discuss Giselle's birthday, did you?" she said, a little teasing. 

"Probably," Karina answered, rummaging something from one of the cabinets under the counter, a side smirk on her face. 

"You have a habit of saying probably in every occassion, you know that?"

"Probably, so?" said Karina, holding out a fresh apron to Winter.

"I'm not doing this for free. You're helping me with my paper, history genius," she said, grabbing the yellow apron from Karina.

 

*** 

 

Karina had finished wearing her uniform and had dried the lilacs and lilies while Winter is still struggling to wear her apron. The girl had purposely given her an apron with millions of laces just to .

"Still not asking for my help?" Karina asked, holding out a laugh.

"Are you sure this is an apron and not a corset? This can easily pass as a corset," she said, turning around to have Karina tie it for her.

"You could've worn it without removing the laces though," said Karina, pulling Winter's waist to fix the apron. The scene reminded her of that time Handmaiden Yizhou laced up her dress in her dreams. 

Winter could hear her heart in when Karina pulled her in front of the mirror to helping her put the hair net and face mask. Winter tried her best to look anywhere other than Karina's mole on her chin, but the mole seems to have a life of it's own, calling for her attention. 

"Done," Karina said, pulling Winter out from her trance.

 

Karina had prepared everything that they need to make the soap including the molds that Winter picked from the storage room. Karina took the dried lilac and lilies from the dehydrator and placed it in a bowl. Winter was watching her while sitting in one of the stools when the girl suddenly approached her and grabbed her hand. She's holding it up against her own, a bit too long.

"I think small gloves will fit your hand," Karina said, a few moments later.

Ah, she was sizing my hand.

"You could've asked me, you know."

"I know," Karina answered before giving her a pair of new gloves. "You know how to put gloves on, right?"

Winter gave her an annoyed look, "Did you asked me to help you to make fun of me?"

"If only you'd see your face, you'll do it every chance you get. Let's just say you have a way of making things funny." Karina said, a small dimple emerging from the corner of her lips, eyes forming crescents that Winter adore.

 

***

 

When t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter