IX. Coinciding Memories

I Don't Want to Wake Up and Know a Love That is Not You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It took Winter a second to realize she was back in their apartment, because everything was still euphoricㅡbut a different kind. She looked at the clock to know how long she was out only to see that the time didn't even passed a second. It seems like the memories work in a different pace of time.

"Winter?" Karina called out.

Winter was still holding Karina's necklace and she doesn't have a reasonable reason as to why she have it, because oneㅡ she broke it even though it's not her fault, twoㅡ she meant to fix it but instead got into a different world, and threeㅡshe wants to know more about the necklace and it's memories. With no other option, she pocketed the necklace and pretended to stretch like she just woke up too.

"Hmm?" Winter responded.

"I didn't know I fell asleep. I need to go, I have some things I needed to finish. Can you tell Giselle that I left her car, unscratched?," Karina said while fixing her hair, emphasizing the unscratched part. Winter wants Karina to stay and ask her about the necklace herself but something inside her is saying that now is not the right time.

"I was hoping you'll join us for dinner. Maybe next time?" 

"Yeah, next time," Karina replied, already in front of the door. "I'll see you around?" she added.

"Yeah, sure." Winter replied.

 

***

 

Ningning and Giselle didn't woke up until it was time for dinner. The two had been doing the editing for their project which is due tomorrow in between spoonfuls of food. 

"So Winter, dear. How is my bestfriend aka your first knight?" Giselle asked, setting her laptop aside.

"She looks like Jimin, yes but they're not alike. I mean, they both like green tea but so far it's just that. Jimin is too reserved and quiet, Karina is... I don't know, sociable?"

"What do you mean?"

"She initiates almost every conversations we've had so far, she likes to make jokes... those kinds of things. Jimin will never do that, at least none that I dreamed off so far."

"I see. But Winter," Giselle said, standing up from her stool.

"as someone who's been friends with Karina for years, I can say that she's never sociable, none of the things you mentioned are things that Karina would do," Giselle said before finally walking to the sink, washing the dishes.

"At least not to anyone who's not me. You can ask Minju or Yujin and they'll tell you the same," Giselle concluded before retreating to Ningning's room to take a shower.

What Giselle said earlier left Winter thinking. Karina did said that she recognized her, promised that they'll talk but most importantly, her necklace. Winter scrambled through all her notes from her studies about alchemy, she had seen things like Karina's necklace. She had eventually realized that Karina's necklace was a memory keeper, a marvel of alchemical invention—contained memories of Minjeong's or Jimin's pasts, of every day whoever had worn it. When Winter’s blood triggered the ring’s magic, she could relive those memories. But she never knew which memories would surface when she pricked her finger. The rings held a whole lifetime within its clasp. 

Winter is more determined to know more about Karina and her secrets, but she'll have to start with something. Something that they have in commonㅡ Phoenix Blood. 

 

***

 

It's Monday again and Winter is in front of her vacant classroom for History class, she forgot that their professor is attending a conference. She immediately logged in on her email to check their new schedule.

Room 205A, 2nd floor, Departments of Art and Art History Building.

Winter is not familiar with the building so she tried asking her bestfriend but the girl hasn't replied yet. She also left Giselle a message in attempt to get a reply but no luck. She's already losing hope when someone touched her shoulder which caused her to jump in surprise. 

"Lost?," Karina said.

"Oh! Thank God. Yes, I need to be in this classroom in ten minutes or my professor will drop me," Winter said in a hurry.

"Didn't know Engineering takes history class. Is that why you're in the library last week?" Karina asked as they entered the elevator.

"It's a long story but to answer your question, it's a yes and a no. Engineering students don't need to take history but I needed the resources."

"Okay, this is you. Room 205A" Karina said as she stopped in front of a closed door. Winter gave her thank you and entered the classroom. The girl watched as Winter take one of the seats at the farthest back before making her exit. Surprisingly none of the students are occupying this side of the classroom, maybe because it's close to the airconditioning unit.

Winter pulled her tablet to start her history ritual when someone pulled the chair beside her.

"I hope you don't have a seatmate," said Karina.

"You take this class, too?" The answer was obvious yet Winter felt the need to ask. 

"I think every Sophomore History major does. So... there's a lot of students here and we're too far for the professor to notice..." Karina trailed.

"you're saying that we what?"

"will three hours be enough for your long story on why you take this class? Unless the answer is you're really stalking me,"

"You're still into that? If I had known you'd think this way I wouldn't have given you that pink pringles"

"I was just messing with you. You looked too serious. Did you had a good sleep last night?"

Winter could have told her the truth. That she was thinking about what Giselle said over dinner. Too much that she didn't dream anything last night. Aside from that, she still have Karina's necklace to think about, which the girl don't look like she noticed it was missing.

Winter purposely drew beside Karina to see the girl's reaction to her drawing Phoenix Blood but Karina was too focused on listening to the lecture to spare her a glance. Winter ripped a piece of paper and slipped it to Karina's side to get the girl's attenti

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter