Day 8 Coffee and Wine - Scent and Sensibility

KyuSung Week 2gether 2021

"Yesung hyung, morning!"

 

Donghae shouted and threw himself at the older man's back. While walking in the hallway, his exceptionally-good nose picked up a familiar coffee scent so he followed it, knowing all too well that it belonged to his kind hyung. However…

 

"Donghae hyung, you're heavy—!"

"Kyuhyun…?"

 

The maknae groaned but didn't push him away despite staggering from the added weight. Confused, Donghae let go of the younger man and turned him around to recheck, but it was still Kyuhyun who rolled his eyes at him, not Yesung hyung.

 

"Kyuhyun? Why? But I thought…"

"Yesung hyung is in the waiting room with the rest of us. I just stepped out to get some fresh air."

"Oh."

 

That was all he could say as he watched the maknae walking away, probably going back to their waiting room. Donghae scratched his head in utter confusion. How come Kyuhyun smells exactly like Yesung hyung? This guy didn't even want to go anywhere near coffee! Maybe his proud smelling sense might not be as good as he believed? Shrugging, Donghae pushed the matter out of his head and followed after the maknae. He didn't want to get a finger flick at his forehead from Teuk hyung for arriving late.

 

********************************

 

Two days later...

 

 

"Has anyone seen Kyuhyun? We're up next in ten minutes."

"I think he said he went to a restroom. Teuk hyung, I'll go get him!"

 

Donghae happily volunteered and left the waiting room. He walked past many staff and looked around for the maknae. Then, his nose picked up a rich scent of wine that definitely belonged to the maknae. Grinning, he followed it until he arrived at a vending machine where a tall figure was standing in front of it. He lunged himself at the man and happily greeted the maknae.

 

"Kyuhyun, I found you! Let's go back. It's almost our turn now."

"Ah! Donghae-ah, you surprised me! Luckily, I didn't spill my coffee..."

"What…? Yesung hyung..?"

 

The person turned out to be Yesung hyung, not the maknae. The older man who was holding a cup of coffee turned around and smiled kindly at him. Confused, Donghae hugged his hyung tightly and pressed his nose on the older man's neck, before taking a sniff. No, his nose didn't mistake it. It was definitely a scent of wine that he usually got from Kyuhyun that he currently smelled from his hyung. Weird. Since when did Yesung hyung drink wine so much that he smells like one?

 

"Hyung, has your alcohol intolerance improved?"

"Huh? No, it hasn't. Why?"

"Then, why did you smell like Kyuhyun?"

 

Yesung hyung choked on the coffee he was taking a sip. Fortunately, the older man didn't spill or spit it. His hyung coughed with a bright red face, probably from the coffee, and looked at him bashfully. The older man quickly changed the topic after looking around cautiously.

 

"Donghae-ah, didn't you say that Teuk hyung wants us to get ready? Let's go."

"But hyung, you really smell like—"

"Donghae-ah," Yesung hyung smiled and grasped his hand, "let's go."

 

Although Donghae was still curious, he nodded and followed his hyung back to their waiting room where Kyuhyun was already there. The maknae raised a brow at his hand holding Yesung hyung's smaller one but didn't say anything. After releasing his hand, Yesung hyung went to the maknae's side who happily put his arm around their hyung. Looking at their closeness, Donghae finally understood it.

 

 

Ah, Yesung hyung was with Kyuhyun this whole time. No wonder he smelled like the maknae!

 

***************************

 

A few weeks later...

 

 

Donghae decided to drop by Mobit on his day off to see Yesung hyung and Jongjin. He smiled and greeted ELF for a while, before heading to the second floor to see his hyung. Yesung hyung was sitting at his favorite spot and reading something on his phone. Donghae beamed.

 

"Yesung hyung!"

"Huh? Oh, Donghae-ah!"

 

Yesung hyung stood up and hugged him. He happily returned the hug and beamed brighter feeling a hand patting his head. Suddenly, a faint whiff of wine kicked his nostrils. Donghae immediately pulled away and frowned. While his hyung was blinking at him cluelessly, he hugged his hyung again and deeply inhaled the older man's scent. Wine.

 

"Hyung, did Kyuhyun come here before me?"

"No?"

"Weird… you're practically smelling like him, wine, especially at your neck, here, your pulse."

"W-What!!? Did that brat leave a mark!!?"

 

Yesung hyung suddenly turned red like a tomato and covered his neck with his hand.

 

"A mark? Nope, hyung, there's nothing there. I just picked up Kyuhyun's scent on your neck— wait a sec."

 

Donghae sniffed at his hyung again while Yesung hyung was still blushing madly.

 

"Your earlobes and jawline also smell like wine, though to a lesser extent."

"Donghae-ah,"

 

Yesung hyung grabbed his shoulders.

 

"Do you want a glass of avocado smoothie? I'll personally make it for you."

"Yes! Thank you, hyung!"

 

Donghae quickly dropped the topic and let his hyung go. When Yesung hyung turned around and walked away, he once again picked up a scent of wine. This time, it seemed to come from the older man's nape. He also saw a red spot on Yesung hyung's pale skin but shrugged it off. It was probably a mosquito bite.

 

************************************

 

A few days later…

 

 

Donghae came to the Super Junior dorm alone to get his belongings back. He lent his cartoon books to Hyukjae who also lent them to Kyuhyun. He knew from their manager that the maknae wouldn't be back until very late in the night but he didn't mind it. He just had to raid Kyuhyun's room, get his stuff, and leave. Although it had been a while since he last stepped into the maknae's room, it shouldn't be that hard to find his cartoon books, right? Nodding to himself, he pushed the door open and stepped in—

 

 

He was immediately greeted by a mixed scent of coffee and wine.

 

 

Frowning, Donghae checked the room curiously. He understood the wine scent but where did coffee scent come from? Did Yesung hyung also forget his stuff here and come to get it before him?

 

"Huh? Isn't that Yesung hyung's sweater? What is it doing here?"

 

Donghae found a sweater he once saw his hyung wearing draping on a chair. However, that wasn't the only item belonging to Yesung hyung that he found in the maknae's room. Apart from the sweater, he also found his hyung's bags, accessories, basketball magazines, cacti, clothes, and even sneakers. If it weren't for a penguin doll and a large Kyuhyun poster, he would have thought that he actually stepped into Yesung hyung's room, not the maknae. Well, his hyung's apartment and the dorm weren't that far away. Maybe his hyung dropped by here sometimes like how he often visited Mobit? Shrugging, Donghae ignored the added items and continued to search for his cartoon books.

 

"Aha, found it! There you are~"

 

Donghae eventually found what he was looking for under yet another stylish shirt definitely belonging to Yesung hyung. He checked their condition and sighed when none of the books was damaged, before putting them in a bag he prepared to take them home. After he was done, he was ready to leave but the rain suddenly poured down. Having no other choices, he picked up one volume of the series and lay down on the maknae's bed, thinking of reading it to kill time—

 

 

He frowned when a strong scent of coffee and wine hit his nose.

 

 

Unlike what he first picked up, this scent was very apparent and intense, almost suffocating. A scent like this didn't happen just overnight. It had to accumulate for a very long period— months, or even years. Now, his curiosity had been piqued fully. If it only happened once or twice, Donghae might brush it off. However, it was already the nth time that he smelled Kyuhyun's scent on Yesung hyung and vice versa. These two members definitely had something going on that he didn't know! Sitting up, Donghae began to think back to all the evidence or situations that he had picked up from the two men. Let's see…

 

 

- Kyuhyun smells like coffee.

- Yesung hyung smells like wine.

- Yesung hyung still smells like Kyuhyun even though they didn't have any schedule together on that day, or the day before.

- Intense coffee scent in Kyuhyun's room.

- A bunch of Yesung hyung's belongings in the maknae's room.

- They are really close to each other.

- The way Yesung hyung blushed when he pointed out Kyuhyun's scent on him.

- The way Kyuhyun always raises a brow at whoever touches Yesung hyung.

- The way these two never left each other's side behind the scenes…

 

 

Donghae gasped.

 

 

Oh my God, Yesung hyung and Kyuhyun are dating!

 

***********************************

 

Donghae was literally shaking. He didn't expect his items-retrieving trip to result in discovering his bandmates' top secret. Yesung hyung and Kyuhyun, they are definitely dating! There wasn't any explanation that best fitted the two's suspicious behavior except this! Now that he accidentally found out their secret, he was torn between telling the truth or pretending to not know it. He carefully pondered the two options. Considering how none of the members learned about Yesung hyung and Kyuhyun's relationship yet, it seemed like pretending to be clueless was the best choice. However, knowing his personality, he didn't think that he would be able to lie that well, not to Yesung hyung who is very kind and Kyuhyun who is very perceptive.

 

"Yes, we're family so we shouldn't lie to each other! I'll respect their decision if they don't want to tell everyone yet, but I won't pretend that I know nothing!"

 

Donghae nodded at his decision and left the maknae's room, moving to the living room instead. He sat down on the couch and waited until Kyuhyun came back.

.

.

.

.

.

.

"Donghae hyung? What are you doing here?"

"Eh? Donghae-ah?"

 

Donghae got up after seeing the two men whom he was waiting for walking into the room. He had found the truth so he wasn't surprised seeing Yesung hyung coming back with Kyuhyun. His hyung probably had been living here with the maknae for a while now. No wonder Yesung hyung's belongings were everywhere in Kyuhyun's room! He nodded at his genius mind.

 

"Yesung hyung, Kyuhyun, there is something that I want to talk about with you two."

"Is everything alright, Donghae-ah?"

"Yes, hyung, I just want to tell you two about something that I recently discovered."

"What is it then, hyung?"

 

This is it. Donghae took a deep breath.

 

"Yesung hyung, Kyuhyun, I know that you two are secretly dating!"

 

Both men looked at him in shock and Donghae understood why. They probably didn't expect their secret to be found out by their bandmates, by him of all people, nonetheless!

 

"Yes, I know that hyung and Kyuhyun are in a relationship and that Yesung hyung has been living here for quite a while. However, I want you to know that nothing has changed between us. Hyung, you're still my kind and funny hyung, and Kyuhyun, you're still my cute and evil maknae. I'll always love you two!"

"Donghae-ah, that's very sweet of you but—"

 

He stopped Yesung hyung.

 

"No, you don't have to say anything hyung. I might be a bit clueless at times as you guys often tease me. However, I still know that this news absolutely can't be let out to the public, for the sake of your relationship and our group. This secret must be kept at all cost!"

"Donghae hyung, I think you're—"

 

Before Kyuhyun got to say anything, he squeezed both men in his arms while tearing up slightly.

 

"Sniffle… D-Don't worry! I promise that I'll keep your secret! It'll die and be buried with me! I won't say a word! Nothing! Over my dead body!"

 

Neither Yesung hyung nor Kyuhyun spoke up so Donghae took it that they were feeling touched by his loyalty, which in turn made him feel touched too. So, he sobbed quietly and the two men hurried to hug him back and comfort him. He sniffled. That's right. This is Super Junior and the members are his family! He will protect his family no matter what happens! If possible, he would like to stay a bit longer and spend time with his hyung and dongsaeng. However, the rain had stopped and despite how many times Eunhyuk called him a fool, he wasn't. He knew that the couple wanted to be together so he should leave. Reluctantly, he stepped out of his bandmates' embrace.

 

"You two probably want to be left alone, right? Then, I'll leave now! Yesung hyung, Kyuhyun, I love you! Your secret is safe with me!"

 

So, with one last quick hug for each man, Donghae left the dorm while his eyes were still slightly red from crying. He felt like crying again but he held back. He was so happy for his hyung and dongsaeng! Most importantly, Yesung hyung and Kyuhyun also looked so cute and happy together. He must protect them with everything!

 

 

Donghae made an oath to himself and drove back home. It was only after he was at home and had sent the couple a congratulatory message that he realized: he forgot to take the cartoon bag with him.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

"Donghae-ah sent a message that says good luck and I love you."

"I also got one."

 

Kyuhyun showed the message he got from their fake maknae to his boyfriend who snorted after reading it.

 

"He's really kind and sweet, isn't he? Although he's a bit of a fool…"

"That's Donghae hyung for you."

 

Shrugging, Kyuhyun picked up the bag that his forgetful hyung left behind to give it back tomorrow when they met at a practice room. Yesung walked up behind the maknae and held him. He rubbed his face on the wide back while Kyuhyun clasped and brought his hand to his lips, leaving a kiss on the back of it.

 

"Kyu?"

"Hmm?"

"I thought that Donghae-ah already knew that we're dating, seeing how you always shamelessly flirt with me in front of the members, but apparently not…"

"Well, it didn't register to him that our show of affection is unlike what he did to the members."

"What should we do? I don't want him to think that we are lying to him."

"We didn't lie though. True, we never made an official announcement but the members still figured it out by themselves, well, except Donghae hyung."

"I know, but…"

 

Kyuhyun turned around in the older man's arms to face his boyfriend and held his face fondly.

 

"How about we talk to Donghae hyung tomorrow after the practice? Let's explain everything to him clearly."

"Yes, great idea! After all, I don't want to see his tears."

"I couldn't agree more."

 

The couple chuckled together before ending the discussion with a kiss.

.

.

.

.

.

.

"Achoo! Sniff, I wonder if someone is talking about me…"

 

 

Donghae murmured to himself and continued to repeat his latest mantra— I'll protect Yesung hyung and Kyuhyun's secret with my life! 

 

********************************************************

 

I actually finished this fic a long time ago but I was busy during KyuSung week so I didn't post it  :/   Merry Xmas!!