Day 3 Wedding - Who Watches the Watchmen?

KyuSung Week 2gether 2021

"Ryeowook-ah, move to your left a bit… Yes, stay there, now, Ari-ssi, shift closer to Ryeowook-ah… Lean your head together and smile… There! Perfect!"

 

Yesung nodded in satisfaction and captured the beautiful moment with his camera. After that, he shot more photos to choose the best ones later. A smile never left his lips as he happily took whatever photos or poses the groom and the bride requested of him. After all, the groom was his most precious dongsaeng— Ryeowook. The lovely couple finally got married and Yesung kept his promise to be their photographer. He took his job seriously and didn't stop taking photos ever since he stepped into the venue. Even when the groom and the bride took a break to find something to drink, he continued to capture the wedding's atmosphere and other guests. After a while, the maknae who had been watching him quietly approached him.

 

"Yesung hyung, do you want to take a break?"

"Thank you, Kyuhyun-ah, but I'm fine. How can I take a break when Ryeowook-ah and Ari-ssi are so happy and excited?"

"Alright, anything you want then?"

"Hmm… Something to drink, perhaps?"

"Right away, hyung."

 

Kyuhyun fetched a glass of punch and held it for his hyung to drink. The maknae even whipped Yesung's lips afterward and Yesung thanked his boyfriend with a peck on his cheek, causing Eunhyuk who happened to pass by to cringe at their lovey-dovey interaction.

 

"What? Are you two filming a continuation of We Live Together?"

"Donghae hyung is over there."

 

Kyuhyun said stoically and pointed at their fake maknae who was chatting with Heechul at snack tables. Eunhyuk suddenly blushed profoundly and coughed.

 

"What does that Pabo have to do with this!!?"

"Clearly, you're jealous of Yesung hyung and me."

"I'm not—!"

 

Snap!

 

Both Kyuhyun and Eunhyuk were startled by a sudden flash. They turned around and saw Yesung taking photos of them while chuckling. The maknae immediately ditched Eunhyuk and went back to stick by his boyfriend's side while Eunhyuk rolled his eyes at the youngest member. Still, he knew that he would never win against the evil maknae so he turned to greet the oldest among them instead.

 

"Yesung hyung, you've been taking photos since the morning. Have you taken any break yet?"

"I'm fine, Hyukjae-ah. I'm too excited to stay still anyway."

"You're our photographer and that's great, because we know you're an expert in this. But who will take your photos?"

"You're very kind but I don't mind it. I'm not the main character of this event so I'm happy with just group photos."

"If you say so. I'll leave you lovebirds in your own world then. Gotta find Siwon and tell him that his friends have arrived. Bye!"

 

Yesung waved at Eunhyuk. Then, he looked around trying to find the next thing to capture and found it. Quite a distance away from him, Shindong was telling some kind of joke to Ryeowook and Ari who doubled over from laughing. He knew that it would make a perfect candid shot and quickly aimed the camera at them, before clicking on the shutter button.

 

Snap!

 

Yesung blinked because he felt like there was a sound of shutter coming from somewhere else, not his camera. He swore he saw a flash at the corner of his eyes too but only his boyfriend was here.

 

"Kyu, did you hear something like a shutter sound or see a flash?"

"Hyung, I think this is a sign that you should take a break. C'mon."

 

Although Yesung was still curious, he let the maknae lead him to a table. Sitting down, he stretched his legs and continued to diligently take photos while sitting. The imperfect angle and distance sometimes created a masterpiece!

 

Snap!

 

Yesung frowned. He heard it again, a shutter sound and maybe a flash too. As a professional photographer and selca king, his sense was always correct when it came to this.

 

"Kyu, did you secretly take photos of me?"

"See? Yesung hyung, you need to rest."

"But the main event will start soon!"

"Then, that's all the more reason to take a break while you can. Just close your eyes for about ten minutes, hyung."

 

Eventually, Yesung gave up arguing with his sweet and caring boyfriend. He obediently leaned on the maknae and closed his eyes. He smiled when he felt Kyuhyun putting an arm around him and kissing his head.

 

 

Well, taking a break might not be that bad.

 

*************************

 

The wedding proceeded smoothly and beautifully, and Yesung was able to take many amazing photos. As soon as the party ended, he went back to his shared hotel room with the maknae and immediately started to check the photos. Swiping his fingers on the mouse pad, he smiled when he recalled stories or circumstances behind each shot. There was the one where Donghae accidentally spilled his punch on Siwon's cuff. There was the one where Leeteuk and Heechul, the two mc, cried like children while giving speeches to Ryeowook. There was the one where Ryeowook teared up and Ari brushed his tears away while smiling. There was the one where Shindong was entertaining everyone on the stage with his witty jokes. Truly, each photo was great in its own ways and he liked it all.

 

None of the photos had him in it, though.

 

That was understandable since he was the photographer. Plus, he could ask for photos with him in it from other hired photographers tomorrow. Despite that, Yesung still felt a bit lonely looking at the photos of the members smiling without him…

 

"Yesung hyung, I'm done with the bath."

"Alright, I'll go after I finish checking the photos."

"Aren't there a ton of them?"

"Yes, I did take a lot of photos…"

 

Kyuhyun suddenly came to stand behind the chair and bent down to hug him.

 

"Hyung, what's wrong? You sound like you're lonely."

"Ha, I really can't hide anything from you, can I?"

"Obviously, we've been dating for more than ten years now in case you forgot."

"Well, the truth is… I feel lonely looking through the photos and none of them have me in it… Silly, right? Even though I said it myself that I'll be fine and… sigh."

 

Yesung leaned back into the maknae's embrace to enjoy the comfort, but soon frowned when his boyfriend suddenly let him go after a peck at his nape. Kyuhyun returned with a phone in his hand and sat down on the desk, before pointing at the photo on the laptop screen— the one where Shindong was telling a joke on the stage.

 

"This is during the after party, right? Here."

 

Kyuhyun showed his phone to him and he gasped seeing the picture on the screen. It was a candid shot of him holding the camera up with a small smile on his lips. The maknae swiped the screen and the picture changed to another candid shot of him. In this one, he already lowered the camera but his eyes still focused ahead of him, laughing genuinely that wrinkles were shown at the corner of his eye. Yesung looked up

 

"So, it was you who secretly took my photos? But I asked you and you said you had no idea?"

"I didn't deny it, hyung, I only changed the topic. I have more. Do you want to see it?"

 

Yesung nodded and took the maknae's phone to see the pictures himself. There were at least hundreds of candid photos of him and Kyuhyun was able to precisely tell when each photo was taken, even pointing out small details like how he liked to frown when adjusting the lense or how he smiled and waved his hand when taking photos of children. Despite the plethora of photos, the maknae was somehow able to remember everything. Yesung was both touched and puzzled at the same time at his boyfriend's dedication.

 

"Wow, Kyu, I'm touched and I like the photos very much, but, why?"

"Do you remember what you said to Eunhyuk hyung?"

 

 

"I'm not the main character of this event so I'm happy with just group photos."

 

 

"I want you to know that you're the main character in my story, Yesung hyung."

"Kyu…"

 

Yesung was too overjoyed to utter any words, even though he had so many things he wanted to tell the maknae— so much that it flooded his heart and made his chest tighten— he couldn't say a word. He looked up at Kyuhyun. Kiss. He wanted to kiss—

 

Kyuhyun suddenly bowed down and took his lips while cradling his face, and Yesung gladly reciprocated the tender kiss.

 

"How did you know that I want to kiss you?"

"Easy, I can tell from that look in your eyes, hyung, and I want to kiss you too."

 

Yesung snorted at the maknae's answer. Then, he resumed looking through the photos while Kyuhyun absentmindedly played with his long bangs. After a while, his boyfriend spoke up.

 

"Yesung hyung, do you know a watchman?"

"Did you mean that DC movie?"

"Well, I guess that works too. Have you ever wondered who watches the watchmen?"

"Why the sudden philosophical quest—"

 

Yesung didn't manage to finish his question because something else caught his attention. The last file in the folder wasn't his photo but a video of the maknae. Curious, he played it and turned up the volume. Judging from the outfit and background, Kyuhyun took the video at the wedding today. His boyfriend held the phone and waved at the camera.

 

"Ye hyung~ If you're watching this video then you probably have seen all the photos that I took. They might not come out great because I had to secretly take them, but I hope you like them."

 

Kyuhyun in the video turned around and now he was standing in front of a beautiful wedding cake. At the top tier of the cake stood a pair of groom-bride dolls that were smiling brightly.

 

"We're at Ryeowook's wedding today. Who would've thought that he'd actually fulfill the bet and get married before us? Even though we've been dating long before he met his bride!"

 

Kyuhyun faked a cough and looked away from the camera for a second. If his eyes didn't deceive him, he saw the maknae blushing slightly.

 

"Well, the point is, you know, hyung, we've been together for more than ten years now. Every second spent with you is precious to me but, urgh, this is unlike me, I only do it because of you, hyung! Anyway, what I want to say is, umm, I want to be happier with you, like, Ryeowook's wedding gave me an idea, that, ! This is so cringey! I'll just be frank."

 

With his face still slightly reddened, Kyuhyun in the video took out something from the pocket and showed it to the camera— a ring adorned with a blue gemstone.

 

"Kim Jongwoon, will you marry me?"

 

Then, the video ended. Yesung who was still processing what his boyfriend said was rendered speechless. Did Kyuhyun just… propose to him?

 

"Hyung," Kyuhyun lifted his chin to look up, "you've always looked out for everyone and it's one of the reasons why I fell in love with you. However, you often neglect yourself and prioritize others before your needs. That's why, I'll be your watchman. While you take care of me and everyone, I'll take care of you and love you with all my heart. So, will you marry me?"

"D-Do you even have to ask? Obviously, it's a yes! Yes, Kyuhyun-ah, I'll marry you!"

 

Yesung beamed in tears while the maknae put on the ring for him, the same one that he saw in the video. Then, he threw his arms around the maknae's shoulder. Kyuhyun's chuckle was light with joy as he hugged his boyfriend-turned-fiance back. While indulging in their lover's warmth, Yesung suddenly chuckled.

 

"What's wrong, hyung?"

"I was just thinking about who will be a photographer in our wedding now that I'm unavailable."

"Obviously, Jongjin is the best choice. I'd love to suggest Donghae hyung too but he probably would be too excited to do anything."

"Hmm, exactly what I thought! Should we ask Teuk hyung and Heechul hyung to be the mc too?"

"They'll absolutely kill me if I ask someone else, so, yes."

"You're right! Ah, I'm so excited just imagining it. I can't wait to tell the members and our families."

"Maybe after a few days? Unless you want to see Teuk hyung, Heechul hyung, Donghae hyung, and Ryeowook crying their eyes out so soon after this wedding."

 

Yesung burst out laughing.

 

"I agree. Let's surprise everyone later. For now, Kyu, will you help me choose the photos? The quicker it's done, the quicker I can take a bath and we can go to bed."

"Anything for you, hyung."

 

Yesung smiled and got up from the chair, giving the seat to his fiance before settling down on Kyuhyun's lap. After that, the couple spent the next twenty minutes chatting while looking at the photos together. The blue gemstone adorning the ring on Yesung's left ring finger reflected the neon light above them from time to time.