Day 7 City Pop - Two-Faced Lover

KyuSung Week 2gether 2021

Yesung had a two-faced lover.

 

 

"Kyu, I just found a cool city pop playlist. Wanna listen to it together?"

 

Yesung asked as he dropped down on the couch beside his boyfriend. The maknae who was watching a variety show (featuring himself) shook his head to his question.

 

"Nah, hyung, you know that I only listen to ballads, right?"

"Alright, no big deal."

 

Yesung shrugged and put on the headphones without sharing it with the younger. He lay down with his head on his boyfriend's lap and began to listen to the songs. Although he wanted Kyuhyun to take part in his interest, he wouldn't force the maknae if he didn't feel like it. After listening for a while, he closed his eyes to fully immerse himself in the music and hummed quietly in his throat. He kept his eyes closed until he finished the playlist. Opening his eyes, he saw his boyfriend no longer paying attention to the tv but his phone. He was able to see the screen from his position and what he saw immediately brought a smile on his face.

 

Kyuhyun was reading about the history of the city pop genre.

 

Grinning like a fool, Yesung quickly closed his eyes again before he got caught staring. He continued to grin as he rubbed his cheek on the maknae's thigh.

 

"Kyuhyun-ah, I love you."

"What? Why the sudden declaration of love? But I love you too, hyung."

"So, did you change your mind? Wanna listen to this city pop playlist with me?"

"I told you. I'm a ballad prince."

 

You sure are! Yesung giggled to himself. What a cute two-faced lover he had!

 

***********************************

 

Yesung had a two-faced lover.

 

 

"I can't believe it! Kyuhyun, did you really never listen to One More Chance!!? Even though it's Donghae's song!!?"

"Sorry but I don't listen to songs that I didn't take part in, especially if it's from ELF's all-time favorite album "PLAY" that I was absent from."

 

Yesung watched his boyfriend arguing with Hyukjae with an amused smile on his lips. It was a well-known fact that Kyuhyun liked to listen to his own songs and even put them on repeat, and the maknae always told them so himself. However... Beaming brightly, he couldn't help but tease his boyfriend.

 

"Kyu, you really only listen to ballads and your own songs, huh?"

"I also listen to my sunbae's songs but you're mostly right about that."

"Reeeeally?" Yesung tilted his head, "Then, why do you always choose You & I as your most favorite Super Junior's song? Last I checked, you aren't a member of Super Junior-H."

 

Yesung (and the members who were watching them with an entertained look) smirked at the maknae who suddenly lost his quick wit. Kyuhyun's face turned slightly red as he quickly retorted.

 

"What? I'm saying that because it's the right thing to do, promoting unpopular songs of ours, I mean."

"It's not because of me?"

"Yesung hyung, how many times have I told you that I only listen to ballads?"

"Okaaaay~"

 

Yesung decided to have mercy on his flustered boyfriend and stopped the teasing, although it didn't stop the other members from teasing the maknae.

.

.

.

A few weeks later…

 

 

Yesung laughed heartily after he saw an interview of his boyfriend and Kyuhyun chose "You & I" as his most favorite Super Junior's song— saying that he loved the song especially the lyrics. He immediately called the maknae.

 

"Kyu~"

"What's wrong, hyung?"

"Nothin~ I just want to say that I love you~"

"...You really are a weirdo."

"But you love me too, right?"

 

He laughed again when Kyuhyun grumbled but didn't deny it. What a cute two-faced lover he had!

 

*********************************

 

Yesung had a two-faced lover.

 

 

"I'm looking for inspiration for my next solo album which will be a city pop genre. Kyu, do you have any idea?"

"You already have me as your muse so why do you need more inspiration?"

"Because I can't use ballad prince as a muse for my city pop album?"

"I guess you're right. Though I'm afraid that I can't help you, hyung. City pop isn't my specialty."

"I thought you already learned something about it after looking it up?"

"...I don't know what you're talking about. I told you, hyung, it's 365 days of ballad for me."

 

Yesung held back his smile at the maknae's yet another obvious lie. Although Kyuhyun wouldn't admit it, he knew that his boyfriend did try to understand the genre he was unfamiliar with, all to be a part of his world. But if the maknae wanted to pretend to be clueless, then he would play along. After all, just the fact that Kyuhyun cared enough to look it up already made him feel warm and happy.

.

.

.

A few days later…

 

 

"Why do you suddenly want to take me on a date? Not that I mind it, by the way."

"I happened to hear about this amazing place from the musical staff and thought you might love it."

 

Although he didn't know what Kyuhyun had up his sleeve, Yesung already approved of the date just from seeing the place— a small detour from a main street into a complicated alley where various shops lined up with neon signs hanging above. A few people walked past them without recognizing who they were so they were free to huddle up for warmth. Kyuhyun's arm was on his waist and held him close as they walked through the windy night. While leaning on the maknae's shoulder, he heard a faint sound of music traveling along with the wind that came from a small shop. They went into the place that turned out to be a dim restaurant slash bar with an 80's retro theme. Its aesthetic was definitely his style. They settled down at a table in the corner to avoid people. While they were checking the menu together, the music played by the bar hit his ear and a smile immediately blossomed on his face— city pop songs.

 

"Kyu—"

"It's just a coincidence, alright?"

 

He couldn't beam any brighter. A coincidence? So, it was a coincidence that Kyuhyun happened to find a place with a city pop aesthetic that played city pop songs? And it happened when he just wondered a few days ago about where to find inspiration for his next album, also a city pop genre?

 

"Kyuhyun-ah, thank you."

"What? I told you—"

 

Yesung seized the chance when no one paid attention to them to leave a quick peck on his boyfriend's lips. Kyuhyun's reddened face afterwards was the best treat for that night, even better than the food and wine they had together.

 

"Kyu~"

"Yes?"

"I love you."

"Tsk, where did that come from? But I love you too, Yesung hyung."

 

Scoffing, Kyuhyun kissed his temple and tightened his hold around his waist, and Yesung felt like his heart had inflated so much to the point of bursting from happiness. What a cute two-faced lover he had!

 

*********************************

 

Yesung had a two-faced lover.

 

 

"Kyu, what do you think about my latest album? I got inspired by our date that night and included many references, specifically in the title song Beautiful Night!"

"I love it. It's a great album with an amazing tracklist. You've exceeded everyone's expectations, hyung."

"Eh~ Don't you only listen to your sunbae and your own songs?"

"I mean, at least that's what I heard about it from our fans."

 

Yesung giggled earnestly at the maknae's poor excuse. Again, his boyfriend refused to admit that he liked his song even though the younger definitely had checked it out. He had gotten used to it so he didn't mind it, just a bit curious. Why didn't Kyuhyun want to admit that he liked his songs? As in, admitted it in front of him, not behind his back at some interview that his boyfriend would definitely do it later…

.

.

.

His hunch was spot on.

 

 

"Recently, I've been into 80's city pop genre"

 

 

Seeing the maknae's interview for his upcoming Season project song "Together", Yesung didn't know whether he should laugh out loud or just snort at Kyuhyun's answer. Once again, his boyfriend admitted behind his back that he actually enjoyed other genres apart from a ballad, namely a city pop genre which happened to be his latest album's theme. Normally, he would call it a day at teasing but he decided to get to the bottom of this strange behavior this time. So, as soon as Kyuhyun came back to their apartment, he instantly brought up the topic.

 

"Kyu, did you really say in the interview that you're into city pop?"

"What!!? You saw it!!?"

"Yep! I even rewatched it many times after leaving a like~ I also knew that you mentioned Jeju too~"

"Crap… Why did you have to watch it?"

"C'mon, Kyu, my boyfriend is releasing a new single. Obviously, I have to support you!"

"But this is embarrassing…"

 

Kyuhyun slumped down on a couch and groaned in his palms. Yesung made the maknae look up by straddling him and gently peeling his hands off his face, before hooking their fingers together.

 

"How so? I think it's really cute!"

"You don't get it, hyung. I don't want to look like a fool in front of you!"

"What's wrong with that? You are my one and only adorable fool!"

"Yesung hyung, I'm your boyfriend. I want to be cool, not cute or foolish!"

"But you can be both cute and cool, just like me~ Plus, I'll love you all the same."

 

Yesung fondly watched his boyfriend pondering his words. After a long while, the maknae seemed to reach some conclusion as he unclasped their hands and put them on his waist instead. A light giggle escaped his lips when Kyuhyun trailed a kiss along his neck and whispered against his skin.

 

"I guess you're right. I don't have to be cool to be your boyfriend."

"Actually, Kyu, you're very cool and sweet with everything that you've done for me but, yeah, nothing is wrong with being cute from time to time."

 

He leaned back and exposed more of his neck to the maknae, softly when Kyuhyun and left marks after marks on his skin.

 

"So… you'll be upfront with your feelings for me from now on, right?"

"I promise I'll try. But for now…"

 

Yesung gasped when Kyuhyun gently bit and his pulse, before feeling it with the tip of his tongue.

 

"Let me show you how cool and hot I can be, Yesung hyung."

.

.

.

"So, you do listen to my song and watch the mv, right?"

"Mm, yes, I really love how you recreated our date that night and stayed true to every minute detail, well, except the lead actress for obvious reasons."

"You aren't jealous, right, Kyu? That I starred in the mv with another person?"

"Why would I? I understand that it's a job."

.

.

.

"I saw Yesung hyung's mv. It starred an actress, right? And there was this scene where he was floating with a balloon."

 

 

Yesung secretly snorted at Kyuhyun who suddenly brought up his Beautiful Night mv during their 16th anniversary party live. Although their fans might not notice it, he, as a long-time boyfriend, easily detected a hint of jealousy in the maknae's tone. Kyuhyun, who once told him that he wasn't jealous at all because it was just a job, was subtly sulking right now and Yesung couldn't grin any wider.

 

 

What a cute two-faced lover he had!