chapter 9.1: broadcasting - New Journey To The West

since then, 'til now

A/N: this is one of my FAVE chapters i wrote for this,, i separated chapter 9 into 2 bc it was getting too long so thats coming on fridayy but basically there’s going to be more fictional stuff for ch9 that you might think doesnt work with the real timeline or the theme of the programs that are mentioned or whatever but again this is fanfiction so :) COVID doesnt even exist in this au :))

 


 

“Okay, everyone.” Na PD called the attention of the seven members once they’ve reached an open area in the airport that they’ve gotten permission to film at. “Since we’ve finally arrived back in South Korea, I’m sure that you’re all feeling tired. But the villain that scattered all the dragon balls left you one last problem.”

Aish, we already arrived here! Tell the villain to leave!” Lee Sugeun exclaimed.

Mino scratched his head, quietly turning to P.O.. “Who was the villain again?” He asked, to which his friend just shrugged.

“What’s the problem?” Kang Hodong asked the director, his loud voice winning against the complaints of his fellow members.

“The villain took one of our cars!” Na PD gasped exaggeratedly, helping with the story. “And so, we won’t be able to bring you all the way home as we promised.”

Eun Jiwon shrugged. “Okay, we can just take a taxi.”

“Can’t we call our manager?” Cho Kyuhyun asked, already pulling out his phone.

Ahn Jaehyun moved towards Kyuhyun. “Yah, can I just catch a ride with you if your manager comes?”

“No, that is not allowed!” Na PD sighed. “Do you remember? I told you the weakness of the villain is friendship and camaraderie. The villain will try to stop you in any way from getting safely home and the only way to get past that is to have a friend pick you up from the airport.”

There was a moment of silence before they all burst with more complaints, much to the amusement of the staff and the small crowd that was forming around them. “Please calm down.” Na PD and his main writer tried, but the members were on a roll.

“It’s 4 in the morning!” P.O. shouted. “This doesn’t make sense!”

“Our managers are our friends!” Mino claimed loudly.

The main writer shook her head. “That’s a professional relationship. Work friends.”

Jaehyun had been staring blankly at the staff, much more silent compared to the others, but his confused and lost expression stood out. “What do we have to do?”

“Ah, wait!” Jiwon interrupted, trying to find a loophole. “Aren’t the staff our friends? Can’t you just support us with a taxi ride home?”

Na PD placed a hand on his heart. “I’m saddened, Jiwon-ah. We’re not friends. We’re family.” He defended, making everyone laugh. “It’s why we can’t bring you home and you can’t bring your fellow members home.”

“What family?” Sugeun glared, narrowing his eyes suspiciously at the staff. “I don’t even know your names!”

“Me too. I don’t know your names.” Hodong shook his head in a very serious tone.

Na PD listened. “If you don’t know their names, then that just means you’re not even friends, so the staff can’t pick you up.”

“They got smarter.” Mino whispered in fear, making everyone who heard it laugh.

“AH!” Kyuhyun jumped up and down with an idea. “I have an idea! Can we call just one or two friends to pick us all up?”

“That should work, right?” Jiwon jumped in. “What if we’re all friends with that person?”

The directors and writers discussed for a second. “Okay, I think the villain will allow that.”

“Stop using the villain as the excuse. We all know you’re the ones giving us the mission.” Sugeun turned to the crowd, always the expert at handling them. “Everyone! The devil is here!” He shouted, gesturing at the staff. “Run away!”

Hyung,” Jiwon laughed and then pulled Sugeun back to the group. “We need to figure out who to call now.”

They each pulled out their phones and started looking through their contacts. After three minutes, Kyuhyun gasped in realization and got everyone’s attention. 

“I think I have a friend who… Wait, I need to check something. This is too big for me to share and not be sure about, so don't expect anything yet.” He looked up and waved off s’ questions in favor of finding his assigned camera director. “I just need to check something quick!”

And he ran off with his usual VJ following him until they both stopped at the huge board of flight announcements at the airport. Kyuhyun’s eyes kept going from the board to his phone, comparing the information he had.

“There! En route!” He pointed excitedly at one of the details on the board but the VJ wasn’t able to catch it when Kyuhyun shouted again. “Wait! Where did it go?!”

The camera went back to filming him as he scanned the board with a confused expression that suddenly turned bright again in a second. “I found it! And it just landed! It’s all working out!” This time, the VJ had time to film the flight that Kyuhyun was referring to — a direct flight from USA to South Korea tagged ‘LANDED’ — before he had to rush and catch up with the man who was beginning to call someone on his phone on their way back to the rest of the staff.

“Kyuhyun Hyung!” P.O. called out at the sight of him returning. “Hodong hyung managed to contact one of his friends, but it might take an hour. Sugeun hyung is still talking with one of his hoobaes that lives around an hour away too.” He pointed at each member as he updated Kyuhyun on the status of their team.

“Okay, thank you.” Kyuhyun absentmindedly replied as he ended another failed call and tried again. “I’m trying to contact a friend of mine since— Hello? Hello??”

“I literally just got here and I turned my phone on to see I already have 4 missed calls from you. What’s going on? Is something wrong?”

“No, no, no.” Kyuhyun quickly replied at the sound of her concerned tone. “Sorry, didn’t mean to make you worry. I’m filming New Journey to the West right now.”

“Ooooh! Am I on speaker? PYO JIHOON, YOU’RE GREAT AND ADORABLE! I JUST THOUGHT I SHOULD LET YOU KNOW! I’M A NEW FAN OF BLOCK B BECAUSE OF YOU.” 

Kyuhyun put the phone away from his ear for a second when she suddenly shouted. “No, you’re not on speaker. We’re having a going home mission right now. We’re still at the airport and we need to call up a friend to pick us up so we can go home.”

“Ah… Is that where I come in?”

“Hopefully, yes.” Kyuhyun answered. “Where are you right now?”

“I just got my bag. About to exit the arrivals area.”

Kyuhyun closed his eyes and did his usual winning ceremony by gently falling on his knees and pointing to the sky as he continued to explain to his friend the directions to their shooting location.

“Kyuhyun-ah,” one of the writers called his attention. “Did you get someone to pick you up already?”

“Yes,” he answered with a grin, covering the phone so he could talk to the staff. “My friend is already at the airport.”

“What?” Mino, who was closest to him, looked like he couldn’t believe what he just said. “How is that possible? Did you cheat?”

“No, I didn’t.” Kyuhyun playfully glared at Mino. “I just remembered that my friend’s flight also gets here today and I just checked to see that that flight just landed a few minutes ago.”

Jiwon's jaw dropped in surprise. “Wow, that’s really lucky. Do I know this friend? Can your friend pick me up as well??”

“Hold on.” Kyuhyun said when he heard a voice speaking from the phone. “Are you here?”

“Oh my god, Eun Jiwon is here. I completely forgot you filmed with him. Lee Sugeun is also here. I’m going to lose my mind.”

Kyuhyun kept looking around at the crowd. “Where are you?”

“I’ve managed to get through your audience. I’m here, on the left side.” Kyuhyun quickly turned to that direction and found a familiar figure wearing a matching set of dark violet sweatshirt and sweatpants as well as a black cloth face mask and a white cap waving at him from the front of the crowd. “Kinda shy to go up to your cast members though. You know I’m a fan.”

Kyuhyun happily hung up the phone and sprinted to her, automatically hugging her for a second to say hello before taking her suitcase from her. He gently grabbed her wrist and excitedly led her to the main filming area. “Everyone! My friend is here!!”

Heeyoung nervously bowed to the crowd in front of her. It’s not that she was scared of the crowd, it’s just that variety shows were more of her brother and Kyuhyun’s thing. And she’s a huge fan of a lot of people that were present. 

“Kyuhyun-ah, did you just pick a random fan from the crowd?” Na PD asked half-jokingly. The staff could hardly believe the mission was being completed in less than 10 minutes. “Hello, we don’t know who you are yet so please introduce yourself.”

“You have to take off your mask.” Kyuhyun advised before offering her the mic that one of the staff had run over to pass to him. “You can keep the cap on if you want.”

“Won’t that look a bit disrespectful though?” She whispered back, taking the cap off first and brushing away the strands of hair that had fallen out of her ponytail. Kyuhyun took the cap from her so she could comfortably hold the mic as she removed her mask.

“Hello, everyone. I’m Kim Heeyoung.” She smiled and bowed politely as everyone gasped in surprise. Whispers of disbelief scattered across the area as they stared at the famous actress that no one expected to appear.

“Oh? Daebak...” Na PD looked speechless for a second, as did the cast members of the program. “Aren’t you the Tony Award winner?”

Heeyoung laughed nervously, but Kyuhyun could tell she was amused with their reactions. And he was proven right when she answered the director’s question. “If I said no, would you believe me?”

“I don’t think I would.” Na PD answered honestly. He looked down at the script they had prepared, trying to find professionalism again. “Um, so… Yes. Please introduce yourself and your relation with the member that called you here.”

Heeyoung cleared . “Again, hello. I’m Kim Heeyoung.” She paused and smiled when the small crowd and the staff clapped. “The member who called me was Cho Kyuhyun.” She gestured to him with her hand. “I am Kyuhyun’s fellow Super Junior member, Universal Star, Kim Heechul’s younger sister.”

“Ah,” the director raised his hand. “Does that mean you’re not friends? You’re just his bandmate’s sister?”

Kyuhyun rolled his eyes as Heeyoung looked at him innocently. “Yah, do it properly. I met you before I met Heechul hyung.”

Her apology came in the form of another bright smile to the crowd as she bowed for the third time. “Hello, everyone. I’m Kim Heeyoung and Kyuhyun-ie is my closest friend.”

The look on the director’s face looked suspicious but intrigued about the statement. “Really? How come we’ve never heard this?”

“I don’t know?” Heeyoung looked at Kyuhyun unsurely, who was also feeling the same. “I think we talk to each other enough that we don’t have to talk to other people about us being friends? Does that make sense? I don’t even know…”

“Hello, sorry.” Sugeun interrupted. “The cast is just standing here in the background because we didn’t expect a Hollywood star to be coming here today.” The crowd laughed at their awkward position. He turned to the other five members. “Why are we feeling nervous?! This is our program!”

“You’re nervous?” Heeyoung asked confusedly, looking at each member.

Kyuhyun laughed upon remembering something. “When Heeyoung-ie and I were talking on the phone she wanted to say ‘Pyo Jihoon, you’re great! I became a Block B fan because of you!’ but she wasn’t on speaker.”

“Ohh,” P.O.’s eyes widened as he bowed to Heeyoung. “Nice to meet you! Thank you so much!” Heeyoung giggled at his awkwardness, commenting quietly at how adorable he was and how she was enjoying watching The Great Escape as she greeted him as well.

“She’s also nervous to meet Sugeun hyung, Jiwon hyung, and Na PD.”

The director blinked at his mention. “Me?’

“Oh? Ah! Heechul always mentioned his sisters were huge fans of SECHSKIES.” Jiwon moved forward to confidently walk up to Heeyoung. “By any chance, was I your favorite member?”

Heeyoung was smiling widely as she silently screamed and subtly pulled Kyuhyun to stand between her and the first generation idol. “Yes, you still are…”

“And then for Na PD and Sugeun hyung, she was a fan of 1 Night 2 Days since the first season.” Kyuhyun explained to the others, taking pity on his friend who was turning red from all the attention. “Ah, Hodong hyung was also there, right? Why don’t you react the same way about Hodong hyung?”

Heeyoung muttered her response. “Heechul oppa always wins against him in arguments so…” The audience laughed as Kang Hodong shook his head in frustration and muttered things about Kim Heechul to himself.

“Did Kyuhyun tell you why he called you?” The director asked, trying to move on and pushing Heeyoung to talk a bit more. She answered with what she knew and listened carefully as he explained to her more in detail. “Now, there’s something you have to do. We need to test if you two really are friends.” The writer beside him brought out two whiteboards and markers to hand to them.

“Ahh,” Heeyoung reacted, understanding what they would have to do. “Is this the game where you ask us something and we answer the same thing?”

The director nodded. “You’re quite quick to notice things, right, Heeyoung-ssi?”

“It runs in the family.” Heeyoung quipped, referring to her brother’s talent as well, while putting on the microphone before taking the whiteboard.

“Wow, look at her just attaching the mic with no problem.” Mino observed from the sides. “I still can’t believe we have Kim Heeyoung on our program right now.”

“Ah, Mino-yah,” Kyuhyun interrupted, a proud smile on his face. “She’s been an actress in theatre for so long. That’s a basic skill.”

“If you failed to answer the two questions we will give you, you’ll have to wait ten minutes before you can try again.” Na PD added and ignored the new complaints of the cast, being firm in his decision.

“The first question is…” He paused, causing a bit of tension. “Cho Kyuhyun has a lot of nicknames. What is his favorite one?”

“But there’s a lot…” Jaehyun commented as he looked over Kyuhyun’s shoulder.

Heeyoung nodded after listening to the question. “This is easy. You know what this is, right? Or has it changed?” Kyuhyun shook his head. “Okay, I’m done writing.”

“Me too,” Kyuhyun declared, a smug grin directed to the writers that were discussing how easily they were completing the mission. “I told you we’re good friends. She even helped write the song I released when I finished military service!”

Hodong quickly positioned himself near the front, taking the emcee position. “Okay, we’ll count to three and you will reveal your answers. Hana, dul, set!”

Both boards were flipped to show ‘Gamekyu’, the two friends barely even celebrating in response, which was such a different reaction to the cast and staff members who were in awe. “I told you it was easy.” Heeyoung grinned. “This was his name on my phone for a while.”

“What’s the second question?!” Kyuhyun asked confidently, erasing his whiteboard. “Bring it on!”

Na PD sighed as he moved on to the next question. “So, you know how friends would talk about all sorts of things. They would talk about family, their dreams, and also other things like celebrity crushes. Who is Kim Heeyoung’s celebrity crush?

“Umm,” Heeyoung frowned at the director. “I don’t have one, though?”

Kyuhyun paused as well. “Right, she always says she doesn’t have one, so I don’t know who it would be.”

The two met each other’s eyes, both obviously thinking of who to write. “I’ll just write down a Suju member.” Heeyoung laughed through her words as Kyuhyun sent her an exasperated look. One of the cast members raised a point that they were giving hints, but another member shrugged and said there were so many members in the group anyway.

“I don’t want to do that.” He complained, but wrote a name down nonetheless. “I will never understand this.”

The answers were shown after another countdown to show ‘EUNHYUK’ written in large letters on Heeyoung’s board while it was written in a smaller but still readable font on Kyuhyun’s.

Kyuhyun sighed, acting very disappointed about the results. “Why Eunhyuk hyung of all people?”

“But he always looks so cool on stage.” Heeyoung pouted as he took the board and passed it back to the staff. “Plus he’s so fun on variety shows!”

“Kim Heeyoung-ssi?” P.O. hesitantly interrupted. “Can you try to play the game with me as well so I can also go home?”

“Me too.” Mino added, hands clasped together.

She turned to the director. “Can I do that?” At the director’s insistence that they have to be friends, Heeyoung nodded insistently. Someone in the writers’ team whispered about how she was suddenly reminded of Kim Heechul. “Yes, I know I just met them today. But I already feel like we’re such close friends that it’s probably worth a try.”

To cut the long story short, P.O. failed because of a slight misunderstanding, but Mino and Jaehyun succeeded in the mission with Heeyoung after they did all the possible hints they could. It also helped that some of the questions could be answered by someone who was a fan, and Heeyoung was someone who watched some of Jaehyun’s dramas and successfully sang a line from Mino’s solo song when she was requested to.

They managed to rent a car and a driver to bring four of them home after they waved goodbye to everyone else, wishing them luck on the next games.

“Are these your only things?” Kyuhyun asked as he loaded Heeyoung’s suitcase into the trunk for her. “I thought you don’t have any more projects.”

“Mhmm,” she nodded, the excitement of filming wearing off. She yawned and rubbed her eyes. “Most of my other things are going to be sent directly to my apartment. I’m gonna go inside now, I’m really tired.”

“Yeah, go ahead.” Kyuhyun smiled. “Good work today.”

Hyung,” Mino whispered when Heeyoung went inside. The three cast members of New Journey to the West were still arranging the bags. “Why didn’t you tell us you were dating Kim Heeyoung?”

Kyuhyun hit the back of the younger’s head in response. “We aren’t. We’ve just been friends for so long.”

“You’re so comfortable with each other.” Jaehyun hummed, planning on teasing his friend. “Do you like her then? I mean in a romantic way? More than a friend way?”

“Does that even make sense to you?” Kyuhyun asked back, shaking his head as he closed the trunk of the car. He left first, moving to sit in the middle of the back seat, taking the space beside Heeyoung who was already fast asleep.

“It does make sense, though.” Mino leaned to Jaehyun to whisper. “And he didn’t deny it.” And they snickered to themselves as they got in the car, deciding to not comment on how Kyuhyun was gently moving Heeyoung’s head from leaning on the window to lean on his shoulder instead.

 


 

@kyukyuuu: HELLO KYUYOUNG SHIPPERS ARE WE ALIVE?????

> @chokyustyle: we beat the dead ship allegations !!! yesora who

> @chopierrot: im v stressed we cant use heekyu because people think of heechul and kyuhyun; kyuyoung is the best option but my mind goes to snsd sooyoung akdfhnaeanu

 

@heeteukchul: was no one going to tell me that one of my new favorite actresses was actually my suju bias’ younger sister or was i supposed to find all of that out on njttw myself

> @dhunjk: i feel so dumb !!! both theyre names literally start with KIM HEE and i failed to put the pieces together

 

@thankyu: its the way he was naturally acting so considerate and sweet and comfortable with her that entire time as if its how theyve always been for years huhuhu pls they look so good together can they date

 > @heechulkyu: FOR ME IT WAS HIM BEING SO EXCITED TO SEE HER HUHUU THAT HUG AND THE BRINGING TO THE REST OF THE CAST LIKE HE WAS INTRODUCING HIS GIRLFRIEND TO HIS FAMILY

> @kjksjh: yes theyre so cute but let us remember our boundaries pls !! we wouldn’t want them to be awkward now that we finally have more than just blurry pictures of them interacting :)

 

@heeyoungssi: my girl???? In njttw????????? she’s best friends with kyuhyun?????????????? I am so confused???????????????????????? how did i not know she was connected to super junior???????

 > @elfly8384: hello! Heechul usually just referred to her as his ‘dongsaeng’ or 'maknae' instead of by name. Heeyoung and suju crumbs mostly exist from before she became popular mainstream and before she privated her social media accounts and purged her followers

>> @kyuday88: also !! kyuhyun posted some pictures before with her on his account back then because (based on evidence) they’re very close friends (also same age)

 

@ryeo99: i know i always scream about kyuwook but this kyuyoung?? the ship is making me feel things and ive only found out about it today. 

 

@winsujubb: i just find it adorably hilarious when kyuhyun, the well-known ballad singer, and heeyoung, who is popular for preppy/glamorous/elegant roles, started rapping mino's new song kajdsfhniadchew they already memorized the lyrics i cant believe this is a thing