epilogue: proposals

since then, 'til now

“What’s this? Why are there so many shoes? Kyuhyun-ah?” A familiar voice called out during the gathering of New Journey to the West members. “Are you filming something again?”

Usually, they’d be meeting at the apartment that the tvN staff would frequently use. But Kyuhyun had, at some point during the filming of the show, promised he would host a dinner for them at least once in the dorms, which brought them to fill up the place with the show’s cast members and some of the main staff members.

“Eunhyuk-ah!” Hodong called out after recognizing the voice. “You’re home?”

“Hodong hyung?” Eunhyuk walked further into the dorm to find familiar NJTTW staff and cast, including the so-called ‘dorm owner’. “Kyuhyun-ah. Is this for a program?”

“Do you really not tell Eunhyuk oppa about filming schedules here?” Another voice joined in. Heeyoung appeared behind Eunhyuk with a cup of what looked like an iced chocolate drink in hand. 

“OHHHH,” Hodong shouted excitedly. “Kyuhyun’s girlfriend is here!” The other members of the show all grinned excitedly, looking like hyenas about to ask all the fun questions.

Interestingly enough, Heeyoung didn’t look the least bit intimidated and Kyuhyun didn’t look worried at all. Heeyoung just waved to them with a grin and Kyuhyun looked like he was excited to see how things were going to turn out. Unfortunately, as he was in charge of food, there was still something cooking that he had to focus on, so he went back into the kitchen.

“I was just going to get something and then leave.” Heeyoung explained, heading to the refrigerator and taking a tub of ice cream out of it. “”Eunhyuk oppa bought it for me because he stole mine before!”

“You’re leaving already?” Sugeun asked. “Why don’t you stay? Is it uncomfortable for either of you?” He directed the question to both Kyuhyun and Heeyoung, who shook their heads. “Then stay!”

“Have you eaten already, noona?” P.O. asked her as he joined the group, coming from the kitchen with a plate of fried chicken. 

“I did.” She answered, but still took a seat beside Eunhyuk, who was also dragged to have dinner and drinks with them. They were in the living room area, all things pushed to the side to make room for the small tables they had set up to accommodate the many people that had gathered in the dorm. “But I’m open to eating more.”

“Do you drink well?” Jiwon held a bottle out for her, offering to pour a glass. She politely accepted with a smile.

Jaehyun laughed. “She does, but she gets so tired.” Heeyoung rolled her eyes at his comment. They both became close after meeting a few times. Since Kyuhyun was considered as Jaehyun’s same-age friend, it had become easier for them to be friends as well. 

“Why are you the one answering?” Jiwon asked, confused.

Mino also took a seat around the table. “We went to have drinks here recently when Kyuhyun hyung invited us.” He explained, gesturing to Jaehyun, P.O. and himself. “That time, Heeyoung noona was here as well.”

“Wow,” Hodong shook his head. “I can’t believe Kyuhyun didn’t invite us. Again.” 

Sugeun sent a knowing look. “Hyung, don’t you think the kids inviting us would feel like having the boss at the party?” The younger ones immediately defended themselves, claiming how they knew the hyungs were busy so they wouldn’t want to bother them.

“Anyway,” Sugeun waved off their arguments, then looked straight at Heeyoung. “Do you have plans of getting married now?” One of the writers almost spat out the water she was drinking at the sudden change of topic. 

Heeyoung laughed at the question before opening the ice cream tub. She smiled down at the green-colored dessert, ignoring Eunhyuk’s comments beside her about how he and Donghae would haveto sing Oppa, oppa as per Super Junior wedding traditions. “Kyuhyun said no.”

The entire table went silent when they heard her. Everyone just stared at her, which didn’t seem to bother her as she looked around the table. “Is there no extra spoon?”

“Heeyoung-ah,” Eunhyuk tapped her arm to get her attention. “What do you mean? What did Kyuhyun say no to?”

“I asked him to marry me and he said no.” She sighed as she looked back at her ice cream. “How am I supposed to eat this without a spoon?”

“Oh my god,” Eunhyuk whispered, eyes blankly staring at his plate as if all his appetite had disappeared. “Heechul hyung is gonna kill him.”

P.O. leaned forward with wide eyes. “Noona, are you sure Kyuhyun hyung said that or…? You’re really not going to get married?”

Heeyoung finally looked at everyone who had their eyes still on her and noticed their shocked expressions. “What? I—” She turned at the sound of footsteps approaching them before looking back at her audience. “Okay, just watch.”

“What are you talking about?” Kyuhyun asked as he took a seat beside Heeyoung, putting down a pot of stew for everyone to share. He also handed Heeyoung a spoon without a word, which she took with enthusiasm before immediately digging into her mint chocolate ice cream.

“Kyuhyun-ah,” Eunhyuk called out. “Heechul hyung is gonna kill you. Actually, I think a lot of Suju is going to kill you. I'm holding myself back.”

“Suddenly? What did I do?” Kyuhyun asked with furrowed eyebrows, not understanding why everyone was looking at him with judging stares. His eyes narrowed as he looked at the woman beside him. “What did you tell them?”

“Nothing, I don’t know why they’re reacting like this. Anyway, Kyuhyun-ah,” Heeyoung stuck the spoon into the ice cream and sat up, turning to fully face him. “Will you marry me?”

Kyuhyun visibly paused before covering his face and slowly leaning on the table to hide in his arms. “Stop. I told you to stop doing that.” He whined, voice only slightly muffled. The back of his neck was turning red.

“What is going on?” Jiwon whispered the question everyone had in their minds.

“Kyuhyun-ah,” Heeyoung had a wide grin on her face as she moved closer to him and started tapping his shoulder with a finger. “Kyuhyun-ah. Let’s get married, hmm? Okay? Will you? Marry me? Hmm?” Her tone was somewhere between teasing and serious, if that even made any sense. 

“No. Stop. Stop that!” He finally sat up and pushed her hand away with little force. “I told you to stop asking me that.” He hissed, but his tone didn’t match the smile he was failing to fight back nor the blush on his cheeks.

Heeyoung turned to the other people, and gestured to Kyuhyun as if saying ‘you see?’. “He said no.”

“No, what? What are we talking about?” Kyuhyun rubbed his face, slightly laughing as he asked his fellow cast members.

“Heeyoung said you said no to getting married.” Sugeun answered with a smile, slowly understanding that they were misunderstanding something.

Heeyoung, who had already gone back to eating her ice cream, quickly swallowed a mouthful and pointed her spoon at Kyuhyun. “He just did! Again!”

 “No, I—” Kyuhyun laughed, lightly hitting Heeyoung’s arm with the back of his hand. “Why would you tell them that?”

She shrugged. “They asked.”

“Ever since we told people we were dating, other people have asked us about getting married too.” Kyuhyun started to explain as he went back to serving himself some food. “We obviously talked about it too, and we’re good with the idea, honestly. It really feels like we've been dating for years anyway. But ever since we had that talk, she just kept asking me all the time! Even though I said I was going to propose!”

“There’s no rules to it.” Heeyoung rolled her eyes, scooping another bite of ice cream. “I can propose if I want to. You’re the one who said no several times already.”

“Just wait. We talked about this.” Kyuhyun whined again. “I want to be the one to propose.”

“But you were already the one who confessed in the first place.” Heeyoung shrugged. “I think that means I can be the one to propose.”

“Nooo,” he replied. 

Before the playful conversation between the two could continue (because neither of them really held any real frustration or anger in their tone), a pillow hit them both on the head. They turned to see Eunhyuk with a pillow on hand, looking at them with a glare. “Okay, we get it! You’re getting married someday! That could’ve been the answer in the first part.”

“Wow, it’s so sweet in here!” Mino commented with a teasing tone. “I kinda wanna throw up!”

“Must be nice…” Jaehyun nodded, looking at his friends. 

Heeyoung burst out into laughter. “Jaehyun-ah, please. You don’t have to make it sound so sad.”

As the other members went back to slowly teasing each other and having lively drunk talks, one of the main writers went up to sit behind Heeyoung and Kyuhyun for a second. “Hey, just wanted to ask if you two are okay with this possibly going out in the behind the scenes footage. Not a 100% certainty. I’m just informing you that it might.” She whispered, keeping her tone down the entire time to not disturb the others.

“Oh, so you are filming.” Heeyoung noted with a nod of her head.

“Just with some GoPros and a phone once in a while.” The writer replied. “We could just not include it if you’re uncomfortable with that. It’s just that sometimes, chatting while drunk can lead to some bets or promises about the show, so it’s useful to have the footage.”

“I’m not uncomfortable.” Heeyoung answered with a shrug. She took another bite of ice cream.

“Are you sure?” Kyuhyun double checked. When she gave an affirmative nod, he smiled at the writer. “Then I’m okay with it too.” 

“Mhmm, okay.” The writer hesitated, as if wanting to add something else. But she just smiled at the two. “You really match each other.” She commented before going back to her seat.

“How did you know that I needed a spoon, by the way?” Heeyoung asked Kyuhyun after a moment. “Did you hear me from the kitchen?”

“Nope,” Kyuhyun leaned towards her to brush some hair away from her face. “I saw you take the ice cream out and knew you’d probably want to eat it. You texted me earlier saying you already had dinner.”

Heeyoung smiled at him. “I shouldn’t have expected any less. You know me too well.”

“Yes, and you also know me well.” Kyuhyun narrowed his eyes at her again. “You know that I’m very determined to be the one to propose, and I’m not gonna say yes to you because I want to be the one to do it, right? So, you’ll stop these surprise proposals, right? I don’t think I can take it anymore.”

Heeyoung patted his head, finding his reactions to her just popping the question once in a while absolutely adorable. “I can’t promise that.”

“So annoying.” He waved her hand away, smiling when he saw her laugh at him again.

Without another word, they both turned to join the conversation once more, unknowing to the quick glances that the some of the others would exchange seeing both of them talking to each other as if no one else was in the room.

“Seriously sounds so fake that they haven’t been dating from the start.” P.O. mumbled to Mino who sat beside him.

Yah.” Eunhyuk, who was on P.O.’s other side overheard him and whispered. “How do you think us Super Junior members feel? We’ve known them since they were 18!”

“Were they like this as well, hyung?” Mino asked curiously.

Eunhyuk glanced at the two. “They were worse. At least they’re actually together now. Better late than never.”

 


A/N: fun fact,,,, all i had going for this chapter was heeyoung going marry me marry me marry me and kyuhyun blushing and saying no because he wanted to be the one to ask;; nothing else was planned the njttw just joined in out of nowhere