chapter 1: first meeting

since then, 'til now

A/N: just to introduce you to the oc and to show them meeting i hope you like her;; also i know nothing abt formatting fics here in aff so if theres something wrong pls let me know


“Your pronunciation was really good. Are you fluent in English?” One of the judges at the table asked the 18-year old girl in front of them who had just finished her audition with a beautiful cover of a Mariah Carey song and a short dance to the music of their choice.

She tilted her head in thought. “I think so? My English teacher in school was always willing to lend me some extra materials for me to go through because I enjoyed it.”

The relaxed tone of her reply did not go unnoticed. “You really aren’t nervous at all? Most of the students that come here to audition enter with their hands shaking.” One of the women at the table joked.

“Ah, no, I’m not nervous.” She shrugged. “My brother was the one who gave me the idea of auditioning, and I thought if oppa can get into this company, I’m pretty sure I can too.” A pretty smile paired with a wink.

“Is your brother a trainee here?” One man looked through her audition paper. “Hm, you’re a Kim. It’s a very common last name, we have a lot of Kims.”

“He just debuted late last year!” She replied with a proud smile. “Honestly, we’re all surprised it actually happened, but he’s good at things when he sets his mind to it.” She saw the thoughtful expressions of the panel and decided to help them out. “Kim Heechul? From Super Junior? He’s my brother.”

“Oh?” Everyone looked surprised. “Heechul? Really? But you’re so...different?” The bright, energetic, playful, and overall less chaotic energy of the girl contrasted their memory of the pretty but troublesome trainee that had just debuted in the large group. The only thing that seemed to be the same was the fact that good looks really did seem to run in the family.

The girl laughed. “Maybe, maybe not. I can’t really tell because we just got used to each other. And I think he has no choice but to like me because I’m the maknae in the family.”

“”Right, well.” The man in the center of the table nodded his head and sent her a kind smile. “I don’t know if you’ve heard how the audition process for your brother went, but please go straight home and wait for our call for your results. Do you understand?” He checked the paper once more. “Kim Heeyoung-ssi?”

Heeyoung grinned once more, understanding what they meant. “Yes, thank you.”

 


 

Heeyoung narrowed her eyes as she scanned the entire door before glaring at the paper taped on it saying ‘VOCAL LESSONS’. To be fair, she can read and she knows that her first schedule for the day is vocal lessons, but she can’t help but be suspicious that she found the right place so quickly on her first day. 

The sound of footsteps approaching behind her got her attention and she turned to see a tall boy around her age reading something on a piece of paper. She watched carefully as he kept walking without even noticing her and reached out to pull the door open. Without a second thought, she put her hand on the door and pushed it close, effectively stopping him and getting his attention.

“Hi.” She not so subtly peeked at the paper he was holding and smiled when she confirmed it to be music sheets. “Are you a trainee here?”

He blinked at her in silence for a few seconds before hesitantly nodding.

“Great! Is this the vocal lessons with Mr. Han? I found the right place, right?” She shook her head disbelievingly once the boy confirmed that she did. “That is so weird. How did I find it with no problem? Everything’s going too well.”

The boy cleared his throat. “Are you new here?”

“Yes, obviously.” Heeyoung replied with a roll of her eyes before pausing. “Sorry, wait, you just helped me. That was really rude. I got that personality from my brother. You probably want to go in the room now, huh? I’m gonna stop blocking your way now. Carry on.” She stepped back and even opened the door for him. He paused for a second before entering the room, Heeyoung shortly following after him.

It was a simple room, wide enough for 20 students to fit in comfortably. Heeyoung spotted some students clustered together in groups, chatting as they waited for the teacher to arrive. Not feeling particularly inclined to meet all the other students in one go yet, Heeyoung was supposed to walk around and see what she could find. But she turned to see the boy still standing near the entrance, watching her carefully.

She stared back at him before approaching again with a smile. He seemed like he’d make a good friend. “I should probably introduce myself. I’m Kim Heeyoung. Nice to meet you and thanks for the short guidance a while ago.”

“No problem, it’s nice to meet you too. My name’s Cho Kyuhyun.” He introduced himself before looking around. “What year were you born?”

“‘88.” And her eyes widened at the subtle change of his expression. “Ooh, are you also ‘88? I found a same-age friend on my first try?!”

Kyuhyun shook his head. “But I was born early. February. So, maybe not. You know how these things go.” He joked before walking away, hearing her scoff behind him in response.

“Well, for your information, I was also born in February. So, nice try, Kyuhyun-ah.” She bluntly dropped the honorifics and casually chatted with him. “You’re stuck with me.”

Kyuhyun groaned in fake annoyance as he took a seat, Heeyoung taking the one beside him. “Oh no. That’s the worst thing ever.”

“Don’t be rude to the new student, Cho Kyuhyun. It’s not good manners.” She lectured him with a slight dialect that made Kyuhyun wonder where she was from.

“I’m a new student too.” He informed her and continued at the sign of her surprised expression. “I won a singing competition a while back and only started attending here last week.”

Heeyoung grabbed his arm and shook it in excitement. “Oh my god, this is gonna be so fun! We’re gonna go through the entire trainee life together. I’m so excited but also that means I can’t really ask you for what to expect about anything, doesn’t it?”

Kyuhyun shook his head in disagreement before leaning closer to whisper. “I’ve heard the teacher for this class is really strict so everyone’s a bit terrified. I’ve attended his sessions for a week and he hasn’t done anything really scary so far except the time when one of the students couldn’t hold a note properly for the first hour so he told him to leave and not come back until he can do it properly.”

Heeyoung listened carefully and shrugged. “That doesn’t seem that bad. You can learn from strict teachers as long as they’re reasonably strict.”

Kyuhyun smiled at her lack of worry and went on to say something else but had to stop because the door had just opened and the teacher was already making his way to the front of the room. All the students had fallen quiet as they fixed themselves to look presentable. Kyuhyun’s eyes fell back to the music sheet that they had to practice, but he didn’t miss the way Heeyoung looked around in amusement at everyone’s reaction. 

Heeyoung stared up at the teacher with narrowed eyes, trying her best to judge his mood from his expression, before taking a deep breath and standing up to walk to him. 

“Hello, Mr. Han. My name is Kim Heeyoung and I’m a new trainee.” She introduced herself with the bright smile that she always used when dealing with teachers back in her actual school. She could feel everyone’s eyes on her, even probably heard someone mutter how she was going to get scolded or something.

Mr. Han spared her a glance before looking back at the papers he was taking out of his bag. “You’re the one from the auditions? ‘We Belong Together’ by Mariah Carey?”

“Yes, sir.”

“Hm.” He glanced at her again before handing her a music sheet like the one Kyuhyun was holding. “I know rumors of how hard it is to pass the auditions have spread, but I hope you don’t slack off because of it. Am I understood?”

Heeyoung nodded. “Yes, sir. Of course, I’ll work hard.” She bowed politely before making her way back to her chair.

“You have no fear, do you, Heeyoung-ah?” Kyuhyun whispered to her when Mr. Han started talking about the warm-up exercises they were going to do. 

“Shut up, Kyuhyun-ah.” He grinned at her, leaning back on his seat. Heeyoung held back laughter as she skimmed the paper she got.