8.

Area One

The sun was already setting when Yixing looked up at it for the first time of this day. He had been busy with helping his father since the early morning, he wasn't even surprised anymore whenever he forgot the time while doing so.

"You're just as skilled as your father, and that at your young age," the middle-aged man whom he was currently treating complimented him, "I would not be surprised if you surpassed him one day."

Yixing searched for a hint of irony in his voice, but there was none. He was often complimented by his patients, but he would never get used to it.

"Thank you," he muttered, while trying not to blush. "But I don't think I will ever be able to reach my father's skill."

The man patted his shoulder, while trying to move his other arm slowly. Yixing noticed when he flinched. "The wound was cleaned and I applied an ointment that will make the swelling go back as well. Please make sure to refresh the bandage every few hours and to come see me again in a week. Until then, your injury should be much better."

"Thank you so much, young man," the guy said, patting his arm one more time. "Well, then, I'll be on my way."

Yixing nodded and said goodbye. He was looking around, trying to spot his father, but he was probably treating a seriously injured patient again. People with critical injuries had been arriving more and more frequently during the past few weeks. Yixing didn't know whether it was due to a new rise of patrols or whether there had been a riot again. The riots tended to be suppressed quite easily and brutally, as the villages were not able to create strong bonds and the Patrol loved showing their superiority. They held back with the normal people, they were only known for abducting people out of the blue, but they severely hurt people in front of others if they really wanted to teach them a lesson.

He still remembered what his father had once told him. 'They have been able to keep us secluded for now, no one can touch them, but they know that this will change if the people get angry enough. Take people away, accusing them of treason, and the people will live in fear. Punish them in front of others, show the humans how helpless they are, and the fear will at one point turn into hate. The Red Force is not stupid enough to let this happen. If the people lose their fear of them, they will lose power.' Back then, Yixing hadn't been quite able to understand it, but now he did. And knowing that the Red Force was becoming more brutal made him feel anxious of their motives.

"What are you thinking about?" He looked up to the man who had interrupted his thoughts, only to be met with his father's smile that even a whole day of seeing the worst injuries couldn't make disappear. Yixing's face lit up a bit.

"I've been searching for you." Then, remembering what he had been worrying about, his smile faded. He told his father about his worries, who became serious in a split second when he realized what this was about.

"I see you've noticed it, too," he said with a sigh. "I have been trying to ask them, but they don't want to talk about it and forcing them to do it won't do any good. But it's becoming more and more... At this rate, I wouldn't be surprised if the Red Force Patrol found the secret paths those poor people have been using to get to us."

Yixing's eyes widened. "You think that's possible?"

His father shrugged. "Our village has never made any problems and they didn't care about us treating their victims... But they've become more brutal lately, as you said. I'm afraid it won't be long until they will start going after the already injured as well. It would be a great way to make a statement," he added bitterly. 

"But you once told me that if the people saw the Red Force treating their victims like this, their hate would grow!" Yixing protested. "We are the only place these people can feel safe at! What if the other villages heard about it-"

"-But they won't," his father interrupted with a sad smile. "The patrols between the villages have been doubled lately. Not a word would reach another village if they don't want it to."

Yixing sat still. The Red Force wouldn't get the idea to attack them, right? They hadn't ever made any problems, and the Red Force didn't care about the injured people they left. It wouldn't make any sense.

"Help! There's an emergency, Mr. Zhang!" One of their helpers ran towards them, shouting. When he reached the two, he was panting heavily. "They just arrived... the boy is dying!"

In one movement, Yixing and his father shot up. No words were needed, they both rushed to the place the man had pointed at.

Upon their arrival, they were met with a crowd of people.

"Move!" Yixing's father bellowed. He was a nice and gentle man usually, but he was really serious when it came to his patients. Yixing had always admired his ability to switch between the two in a split second when needed.

Lying on the ground before them, there was a young boy, not older than fourteen. An older guy, maybe his father, who was crying and shaking his shoulder.

"Please help me, he won't wake up," the man cried, not even caring to look up to whom he was talking to. In a brief second, Yixing's father had scanned the younger boy and uttered some medications he needed. Some of the people watching ran off, aiming for the shed were all their medical supplies were stored.

Yixing crouched down on the opposite side of the boy's father, his eyebrows furrowed in sorrow. The boy had been shot in the leg and in the chest. He had obviously already lost a lot of blood and was nearly unconscious.

"Don't close your eyes," Yixing commanded the boy, not knowing whether he was even able to hear him, "I know you're tired, I know you want to escape the pain, but don't close your eyes. We will help you; I promise."

"Where are they?" muttered his father, crouching down beside Yixing. They both knew it would take some time to run to the shed and back, but the boy would die if they didn't do anything to stop the blood loss.

While his father was busy searching for bandages to stop the bleeding, Yixing felt the boy's pulse. He paled.

"He's dying!"

"Please do something!" The older man was now only looking at Yixing, the terror visible in his face. "I can't lose him like this!"

Yixing knew it was nearly too late. The wounds themselves were not the problem. The boy had simply already lost an amount of blood where, even after they were able to stop the flow, it would depend on the boy's strength and luck.

Yixing had never felt this helpless before. He usually wasn't met with situations like these, as his father took over all the emergencies. He had been begging him to at least let him watch the treatment, but there had been too much work for him to do so lately.

Looking at this desperate father, his son between life and death, Yixing couldn't help but grow angry. How could people do something like this to others? Did they think they could do anything they wanted? How could you destroy human lives this easily?

The emotions crashed over Yixing unexpectedly, and for a second, he didn't know what was happening to him. As a doctor, he was supposed to stay calm and collected in every kind of situation. He was of no use right now, how could he dream of saving lives one day if he couldn't even save this one?

The people around him gasped, making Yixing come back to his senses. Just, what he saw didn't make any sense. The bleeding had stopped, way quicker than it was supposed to, and the patient was not as pale anymore. The wounds were healing in a completely surreal tempo. It was only now that he noticed the faint, bright glow of his hands.

"I- that wasn't- What's happening?" Yixing desperately looked at the faces of his neighbours, thinking someone was playing a trick on him. But when he saw their expressions - just as shocked as his own - he didn't know what to believe anymore.

Without any words, his father grabbed his wrist, pulling Yixing with him while the villagers decided that what mattered right now was to make sure the boy was alright.

They didn't have to go far as every single person in this village was with the boy and his father.

"What happened back there?" his father asked in his demanding voice. Yixing held up his hands in defence.

"I don't know, I swear, I don't have a clue!"

Taking a deep breath, the older man stepped back a bit and let go of his wrist. He wiped the sweat from his forehead and looked at Yixing.

"Can you imagine what the Red Force would do to someone like you if they caught you?"

Yixing had heard of the experiments and he had seen some of the people who had managed to escape from them. What he had seen and heard was worse than death. Not wanting to think about this, he shook his head vigorously.

"But they won't! Look, I don't even know what this means-"

"You've got a special gift, my son," his father interrupted him. Yixing was stunned at how soft his eyes had suddenly become, as if he himself feared what he would say next. "Maybe it would be better if you didn't stay here."

He felt as if someone had just punched him in the stomach. Leave? Yixing had never traveled far, as everyone always said it was way too dangerous.

"But-" he started, but his father held up one hand to silence him. He grabbed his shoulders.

"Don't think it's easy for me to say this. But if they find you here, they will not only take you away, but probably kill all the others for trying to hide you. Someday, someone will hear about you and notify the Red Force. What are we supposed to do if that happens?" He looked Yixing directly in the eyes while he was talking. The boy was at a loss for words. "I have a friend whom I met long before the Patrols became this frequent. He will be able to explain what's happening to you."

Yixing had a bad feeling, he knew where this would lead. He tried to speak up, but his father silenced him again.

"I will tell you how to get there, but it's a few days' journey away from here, so hurry."

"Father, I could help you!" Yixing finally managed to say, silently begging him to let him stay. "I could train and maybe I could save people-"

"-But you can't train here!" His father's voice became louder, until he pulled himself together and spoke calmly again. "Don't think I enjoy doing this. I need you here. Hence, when you meet this friend of mine, tell him what happened. He might know something about it and teach you."

Not knowing what else to say to convince him, Yixing remained silent.

"You know how to avoid the Patrol. I will give you food, medication, and water. I will tell you where to go and if you've learned how to use your power, no matter where you are, you will try to help the people, alright?"

Yixing wanted to protest heavily, but he knew he didn't have any other options. Reluctantly, he nodded.