22.

Area One

A few days later, Sehun came running to Junmyeon and Chanyeol with a wide smile on his face. The two had been trying to practice together, but hadn't succeeded in more than water droplets and sparks yet.

"Guys! Tao and Yifan are back!" The youngest had a wide smile on his face. "Someone made one of the trees go back to being this small!" He held his hand above his knees.

Junmyeon frowned. "Have you seen them?"

The smile on his friend's face disappeared. "No... But who else could do that?"

"I didn't expect them to be this fast." Something about this seemed fishy.

Now Chanyeol looked uneasy, too. "Maybe Mr. Zhang can make plants grow backwards, too?" But he didn't sound too convinced by his own idea.

"Let's have a look," Junmyeon suggested. "But we should be careful."

He got ready to use whatever kind of remaining power he had and they approached the plant Sehun had been talking about.

Everyone was standing around a little tree, even smaller than expected, and arguing across its branches.

"You've been lying to us from the very beginning!" Jongin's accusing voice echoed through the clearing. "Did the Red Force send you here?"

"Jongin!" Everyone went silent as Chanyeol, Sehun and Junmyeon approached them. Junmyeon sighed. "Would someone care to tell me what happened? Without accusations?" he added when Jongin opened his mouth.

"Seokjin is a time manipulator, like Tao." Luhan's calm voice and this revelation didn't quite match.

Jin stared at him. "And how do you know it was me?"

Luhan shrugged. "I'm a genius."

"Hey, so am I!" This was the first time he saw Yoongi smile.

"But I thought the experiments failed?" Junmyeon stared at Namjoon.

The other guy shrugged. "We thought so, too. Maybe it won't last for long."

Luhan frowned. "I'll go and have a little chat." He turned around and started walking towards the tree.

"Hey, wait a second!" Upon hearing Minseok's voice, he turned around. The second leader motioned towards Namjoon and his friends. "For talking to it, you'll have to be asleep. We don't know whether the others have powers, too. If they appear, we might need your help."

Junmyeon thought back to when his power first appeared. He had nearly drowned his whole village. Yifan had nearly killed his former best friend. Maybe it would indeed be safer to keep an eye on them.

He tried to get a better overview of the situation. Apparently, Junkook had started teasing Jin and Jimin and Taehyung had joined him. Jin, usually open for any kind of bickering, had been so stressed out with their whole situation and trying to process the recent events that he had lost his temper.

"You should be glad he didn't take it out on you." Jongdae visibly enjoyed the expressions of the three guys who were trying really hard to disguise their guilt with confidence. "The first time my powers showed up, I accidentally set my own house on fire."

They stared at him, utterly terrified, until Yixing stepped in. "No one is going to get hurt. Most of us were completely on our own when our powers appeared. You guys have us."

"Our powers came from the tree," Luhan added. "Yours were made artificially. They might not be as dangerous because they didn't come directly from the source."

Namjoon’s friends looked as if they were contemplating whether to be relieved or disappointed. Junmyeon tried to concentrate. If they had powers, they would be an immense help for their plans. But it would also result in more chaos and a lot more danger. He didn't want to endanger the lives of his new friends as well. And Luhan's warning was still haunting his mind.

"Alright, what about this," Junmyeon stated slowly, trying to come up with a good plan quickly. "You guys shouldn't be on your own when your powers appear. And we have to train, anyways. What if one or several of us took one of you each with us and tried to figure it out?"

"Sounds like a plan." Baekhyun nodded. "But if Jin's power is just like Tao's, isn't it possible that the other powers are similar to ours, too?"

Everyone turned towards Luhan. He frowned. "Even if I could communicate with the tree, I might not find out what your powers are for you."

"But your intuition has always been right until now," argued Kyungsoo. "We will find out what the powers are anyways sooner or later. But you could tell us who should train with whom."

Luhan sighed. "I'll need time for that." He sat down, his head cocked to the side attentively as if listening to something and his empty gaze wandered around restlessly.

"As Tao isn't here to help Jin, Minseok could replace him," he stated.

Minseok pointed at himself with wide eyes. "Me?"

"At least you can both freeze things," Luhan argued. "If you think someone else might be better, tell me."

Minseok didn't argue, now looking rather happy to be able to help. He led Jin away from them, searching for a place to train.

"Namjoon." Everyone's attention was back on Luhan. "And... Baekhyun."

"So... his power is light, too?" Baekhyun eyed Namjoon suspiciously.

Luhan ruffled his hair in frustration. "Your powers feel completely different, but still more alike than others. I can't explain this."

"We'll see about that soon enough," Namjoon promised quickly. "Thank you."

"But at least we know now that all of them do have powers," Chanyeol stated.

Luhan nodded absentmindedly. "Hoseok, you'll train with me."

Luhan and Hoseok? Their personalities were the complete opposite of each other! Luhan definitely knew what he was doing, so Junmyeon was really curious to find out what Hoseok's power was.

The next few people took him a while. "Junkook, Jongin and Jongdae."

Oh no. Why did the three most mischievous guys have similar powers, too?

"The Three Js," Chanyeol joked.

"You'll learn to fear us," Junkook countered with a smile. Jongin seemed to have gotten rid of his suspicions and smiled as well.

"The remaining people really don't have a lot in common." Luhan sighed. "But let's see... Kyungsoo and Taehyung."

Taehyung gave Kyungsoo a wide smile. Kyungsoo returned it hesitantly.

"Yoongi, Yixing and... Sehun."

Yoongi stared at Luhan. "But I don't want to be a healer." Yixing smiled sheepishly. "If my power can't transform me into a rock, what's the point of it?"

Jimin buried his face in his hands out of frustration. "We all know about your dreams of being a rock in your next life. Just go with them." Yoongi glared at him until Sehun pulled at his sleeve. They disappeared without another word.

The only people left were Jimin, Chanyeol and Junmyeon. "Your powers don't have anything in common and I don't see how they could help you with anything other than summoning your power in general," Luhan told the short guy.

"Thank you for the reassuring words," Jimin mumbled.

"You're very welcome. I feel like you could finally beat some sense into those cry-babies. In that perspective, your training might be the most important one for now."

"Hey!" Chanyeol protested.

Jimin, unsure whether he had just received a compliment or criticism, smiled shakily.

They left Luhan and Hoseok and started searching for a calm place by the small stream.

"Here we go again," mumbled Chanyeol. This was the exact place they had left not even one hour ago.

"Okay, so... As you know, the last time our powers worked properly was when we escaped back then."  Junmyeon had barely started talking and already felt extremely ridiculous. How were they supposed to help Jimin? That was what they were supposed to do, after all, even if Luhan thought differently.

"But I saw how you used your powers in the fight!" The boy's self-conscious expression changed into one of complete admiration. "Your power is water, right?" He faced Chanyeol. "And yours is fire!"

"It... was." The tall guy managed a little smile that didn't reach his eyes.

"It will come back! Wasn't that what Luhan wanted me to help you with?"

Junmyeon didn't tell him that what Luhan meant was something entirely different. Jimin didn't have a lot of self-confidence, but he was determined to help and Junmyeon didn't want to disappoint him.

They sat down and told Jimin everything he wanted to know.

"These powers don't just appear because you imagine what you want to happen," Chanyeol explained. "As you saw with Jin, the first time they appeared were situations where we felt angry or desperate. It got easier and easier to use them when we wanted to, but there were quite a few accidents in the beginning because controlling your temper is the most important thing."

Throughout the whole afternoon, Jimin tried to get angry at something. The only result was that he was mentally completely exhausted and disappointed in himself.

"We will try something else tomorrow," Junmyeon promised him. "This isn't your fault. We just need to find the right approach."

"What if Luhan was wrong and I don't have powers?" The worry in his eyes showed that he had been thinking about this all day long. "I don't want to waste your time. You didn't even get to practice."

Chanyeol patted his shoulder. "We did that earlier today. And I bet that none of the others succeeded." He threw a quick glance at Junmyeon. He had been staying in contact with Luhan and confirmed his words with a small nod. "Just make sure to... uh... eat healthily and get enough sleep, then we will directly go to work tomorrow morning."

Jimin seemed a bit relieved.

On their way back, Junmyeon noticed that permanently reassuring Jimin had also brought a certain temporary peace to his own mind.