19.

Area One

It had been two months since he had entered the hospital. He was supposed to be released today and the doctor had told him they would talk about the insurance then. Junmyeon suspected that he was talking about money. They had also assured him that, as soon as he was recovered, they would inform the police so his case could be investigated. So, despite his guilty conscience, he had started planning to get out early on the day he was supposed to be released. The final check-up was already done. It had just been too late to discharge him yesterday, they had told him.

Junmyeon didn't mind. He wanted to leave an apology in his room, but he couldn't leave any traces in case the Red Force would start looking for them outside of Area One. Someone had brought him a pair of clothes to wear today, so he carefully stood up and started dressing. What a relief it was to finally get out of these weird hospital gowns.

He had learned a lot about the world during his stay, but his main focus had been on the map he had gotten during the second week. It was a map of Seoul and its surroundings, including the southern part of the Chronos area. It showed an entrance, and even though sneaking through it without being seen would be beyond difficult, it was his only chance to get inside.

It had taken him a while to decide what to do. He was terribly ashamed of his thoughts during the first few weeks of his stay. Even with the map in his hands, or maybe because of it, he had strongly debated over his plans. Why would he even want to go back? He had just come to know that there was a world outside of this mess he had grown up in, a world without the cruel reign of the Red Force. He could build up his own life as a free person, someone who wasn't being hunted down for cruel experiments.

He often had nightmares where he experienced all of his memories of that place again. More than once had he suffered from panic attacks during the occasional check-ups and he found himself being way more cautious with people in general. And his power... he had tried using it once. He knew it wasn't gone, he had been able to form and move a water droplet, but that was it. His control over it was far worse than it had been in the very beginning, and he didn't know if it would ever be back to how it had been.

For a few days, he had allowed himself the luxury of dreaming of a life outside. He could just stay in Seoul. One of the people he had met in the hallways of the hospital had given him a small card and told Junmyeon to call him if he ever wanted to work as a model. He had asked the doctor what that meant later on, and even found himself considering the idea afterwards.

But that had been the point where he had realised what he was doing. He had burned with shame. His friends were out there, some might have not made it out alive or even be back in the labs of the Red Force and there he was, considering a peaceful life without any worries and without having to hide.

He had even considered speaking to Chronos for a short while. He had learned a lot about this organisation and they had nothing to do with the Red Force. Everyone loved them and set their hopes on them, and he had seen pictures of the other test areas. They were trying to grow plants with a higher rate of photosynthesis to reduce the amount of carbon dioxide in the air. He had tried to learn more about these processes, but looking one thing up usually brought up at least three other things he didn't know, so he had just stopped being curious about how that worked.

He knew that he should tell Chronos what was actually happening in this test area. But no one would listen to him if he spoke up, and if they did, they would start asking questions. And the last thing Junmyeon wanted was to be confronted with the Red Force again in that way. They had been able to clean up behind themselves for decades, he wouldn't be able to stop them on his own.

That was why he had to get back. They had to find a way to defeat the Red Force, so that the world would see what had been going on all this time. Chronos always reacted to criticism and they were quick to take appropriate measures if something went wrong or if an employee deceived them.

He stuffed the map into the pocket of his jacket and looked around one last time. He wouldn't miss this place. It still reminded him of the torture he had gone through, and even though the people here were nice to him, he greatly missed his friends.

It was around four o' clock in the morning when he left. The only person in the corridor was the elderly man in the room next to his who had insomnia and kept pacing up and down whenever he couldn't sleep. Junmyeon had told him about a friend who could only visit him very early because of his working times so he wouldn't be suspected. When he stepped out of the hospital, a wall of hot air crashed against him. Why couldn't it cool down more during the night?

Surprisingly, he made it out without being caught. He had been walking for about twenty minutes when he came across four young men in front of a bar. They were shouting into the empty streets and laughing loudly. Junmyeon had already seen drunk people in his life. It was already too late to turn around and search for another way, so he just quickened his pace, hoping they would ignore him.

"Hey!"

With one word, his hopes were shattered into tiny pieces. They had surrounded him in seconds, eyeing him like a pack of wolves would do it with their prey.

"You're out quite late, aren't you?" That guy had a grin on his face that ended up a bit lopsided.

"That's very dangerous, you know? There could be all kinds of people in the streets." The other three chuckled at what the second guy had said. His words were a bit slurred, but he seemed to be less drunk than the others.

Junmyeon looked around, searching for help, but as he had feared there was no one around at a time like this. He started sweating even more than before and wiped his palms on his jeans. There was no need to feel insecure. He had faced more dangerous things than this.

And lost, a voice in his head added. Now he was already talking to himself in his mind... It was a lot more annoying than when Luhan did it.

"I can protect myself, but thank you for your concern." Proud of his somewhat stable voice, Junmyeon attempted to walk away, but he was pushed back by one of the guys.

"Let's see if you can." The third man wasn't nearly as drunk as his friends, and with a triumphant smile he pulled a knife out of his jacket.

Junmyeon's eyes widened and he stepped back, but was immediately pushed forward by the fourth guy behind him. "I don't want to draw attention to myself, can't you just let me go?"

He didn't receive an answer aside from laughter and the guy with the knife came closer. "We can protect you from evil people, but our wage is quite high... You don't happen to have money with you, do you?"

What would they do if they knew he didn't? They probably wouldn't let him go. There was still not one person around and the four men came closer, weird grins on their faces.

"I'll call the police," he threatened halfheartedly.

The first guy chuckled. "You won't be able to move a finger when we're done with you."

Wasn't this the perfect time for a hero to come and save him? Where were these people when you needed them?

The man with the knife charged at him and Junmyeon stepped to the side, barely avoiding it. He grabbed the extended arm and pushed him into one of his friends. They went to the ground. Maybe they were so drunk and uncoordinated that this was everything he had to do.

The other guy attacked him from behind and Junmyeon turned around and kicked him in the stomach. The man went down and Junmyeon hissed from the pain that spread in his left ankle. That wasn't even the one he had kicked with but the one he had shifted his weight on. He had actually aimed for the guy's head, but it was good enough considering he was out of practice.

The last guy charged at him with a loud scream and got punched in the face. Without turning around towards the guy, he left. Tao would have been disappointed in him, had he witnessed this scene. But Junmyeon couldn't risk injuring himself and having to go back to that place again. Thinking of Tao and Luhan like that hurt, and he knew he had to get back home as soon as possible.

But walking was too dangerous. He couldn't risk meeting more people like those four men in the streets. A shiver ran down his spine when he imagined what could have happened if they had overpowered him. He had to get to the main street, there were more people and maybe he would get someone to take him with him in his car.

It took him about ten minutes to reach the street, and around twenty more to find someone who was willing to take Junmyeon with him. The man was a bit grumpy, but his company was a lot better than that of the men he had met previously. When they had finally left the highway, the man let him out on a small street. Junmyeon assured him that he was fine and thanked the man for the tenth time as he got out of the car.

He had worried about getting that suffocating feeling again that he had in the elevator, but somehow, it hadn't been that bad in the car. Yes, it had been weird and Junmyeon had had to stop himself from staring too much, but the windows and windshield hadn't made it seem like a closed room at all.

Now everything Junmyeon had to do was to follow the map. Which he couldn't read in the dark. But the sun was already rising and there was a chance for him to arrive in the late evening, so he just walked off into the direction he remembered.

His stomach still hurt sometimes, but the doctor had assured him that he would soon be completely healed. He was still careful with walking, as his left ankle felt really unstable and he knew that his muscles had decreased a lot during these past few months. He had been so proud of them, especially after Tao's martial arts training, and now they were gone. According to the doctor's words, it wouldn't have been that bad just with no practise, but the malnutrition he had suffered from had made it that way.

He had to start training as soon as he was completely healed. Only with one hundred per cent dedication and effort would he even be able to dream of making up for his terrible mistakes. And maybe the physical work would get the memories out of his mind.

But did he even deserve that? If he could, shouldn't he rather try to take all of the bad memories away from his friends and carry them himself, too? They certainly didn't deserve the pain to be reminded of this torture all the time.

Even though he had, with his plan in the back of his mind, eaten a lot yesterday evening, his stomach started rumbling around noon. He had gotten used to three meals a day. That had sped up his healing process a lot, of course, but it had also spoiled him. Even back at Luhan's home they hadn't eaten more than once or twice a day. He would have to get used to that again.

It was already late afternoon when he allowed himself to rest for the first time. His clothes were drenched with sweat, because of the insane heat, but also because of his obvious lack of muscles. Junmyeon let himself fall to the ground near a little stream on a meadow. He washed the sweat from his face and could only grudgingly restrain himself from drinking the water. He had heard about countless rivers and streams being polluted by companies who channeled their waste products in there. He enjoyed the cool sensation on his skin for another few minutes, before he stood up and continued his way.

The sun was setting now, and there was no sight of Area One. Junmyeon started losing his confidence again. He didn't even know what he was looking for. What was this entrance supposed to look like? And how was he supposed to get in unnoticed? His path was leading through a thick forest and as it got darker, the air finally cooled down by a few degrees. But his agitation only grew. He had heard twigs breaking several times now, once it had even seemed to him as if a person was running away. But he hadn't seen anything and kept telling himself to stay calm. There was nothing to worry about. What kind of danger could be in this forest other than animals?

You're close to the Red Force again, a voice in his head told him. Everything is possible here.

He shook his head to clear his mind. This was nonsense. The monsters were inside the test area, not outside.

Shortly after he had finished that thought, there was another snap right in front of him. Heat rushed through his body, concentrating in his neck as he tensed and stopped walking.

"Who are you?" There was no reason to be ashamed to ask that question. If there was a person, they would feel caught. If there wasn't, no one had heard him anyways.

"Don't worry." Junmyeon could tell that the person was smiling. But why did that voice seem so familiar? "I won't hurt you, Junmyeon."

Junmyeon's heart dropped. The Red Force had known his name, too. But who-

The person stepped closer and Junmyeon could finally see him.

His knees nearly gave in and he felt like crying when he finally recognized Yixing. Leaving all of his fear behind him, he ran towards his friend and hugged him tightly.

"Yixing, is that you?"

The healer chuckled at Junmyeon's disbelieving voice. "It's me. I'm glad to see you again, my friend."

Junmyeon only hugged him tighter before letting him go to look at him. "Are you alone?"

Yixing turned serious. Their behaviour changed whenever they talked to him as their leader instead of him as their friend. He didn't like that difference, but it was way better than the previous insecurity. Not that he still deserved to call himself a leader.

"Nearly everyone is here already. Yifan, Sehun and Minseok are still missing but they might come here soon. Luhan is trying to reach them in their dreams, but hasn't gotten through to them yet. We're searching the forest every day. They will be really glad that you're here, Luhan is trying to keep them together, but the atmosphere is really tense, and..." He hesitated. "Luhan is good at thinking and fighting, but he can't keep the group together. There were a lot of arguments these last few days."

The one thing Luhan was bad at was solving arguments. He didn't like them and tended to shut them down with a threatening remark, but that only worked as long as Junmyeon or Minseok got the different parties to talk to each other later. With Luhan as the only leader, there would be a lot of unsolved arguments brooding in everyone. But did Junmyeon really have the right to think of his friend like that? Luhan was better than him, he would have prevented this whole disaster from happening. It had been Junmyeon who wanted to follow Chanyeol's wish.

They walked in comfortable silence, just relieved to have met again. Junmyeon knew that Yixing was burning with questions, as much as he was, but they both didn't want for Junmyeon to have to tell his story twice.

A few minutes deeper into the forest, there was a red, flickering glow ahead of them and Junmyeon could hear a loud voice talking. He couldn't suppress a smile. Chanyeol.

The guys were situated in a small clearing, a tiny campfire burning in their middle. Upon hearing them arrive, everyone turned around.

"Look who I found," Yixing stated with a happy smile. "I told you these night patrols would be worth it."

"Junmyeon!" Chanyeol was the first to run up and hug him tightly, followed by Tao and Jongin. Kyungsoo, Baekhyun and Jongdae stood up too, smiling at him happily, but didn't come closer. Luhan stayed where he was, but looked a lot more content than Junmyeon had ever seen him.

"You couldn't have hurried a bit more, huh?" Even his voice didn't sound as grumpy as he remembered it. "I can't control these kids on my own."

"Who are you calling a kid?" Jongin protested.

Baekhyun stared at him. "You, obviously."

"And why is that?"

Jongdae buried his face in his hands, while Yixing sighed. "Let's just be glad we have our leader back and not argue for once, alright?"

There was that word again.

Luhan turned his head towards him so quickly that it was a miracle he didn't break anything, but didn't comment.

"How are you guys?" Upon hearing Junmyeon's concerned voice, Chanyeol patted his shoulder.

"We're alright, don't worry."

"Baekhyun is still in pain, Jongdae is limping, and Yixing, Jongdae and I can't use our powers," Tao reported. Chanyeol glared at him and the others didn't look amused as well. The younger guy shrunk under their gazes. "We're not supposed to lie to him, are we?"

Junmyeon sighed. "Thank you for telling me, Tao." He looked up at the others. "What would you get from hiding that from me?"

There was an awkward silence while everyone avoided his gaze. Finally, Luhan spoke up.

"You can't be seriously asking that question when your self-doubt is already eating you up from inside."

Junmyeon should have known that Luhan would find out about it, but he was too shocked to hear someone say it out loud for the first time to react.

"No one I've ever met before has managed to hurt himself like that for the things he has done, and keep in mind I've read the minds of prisoners as well as employees of the Red Force."

"And I deserve it."

He would never forget Tao's and Jongin's hurt and shocked gazes upon hearing these words, neither the pain in Kyungsoo's eyes. He had disappointed them in a way he had never thought possible, and that because of his own stupid decisions.

Apologizing wasn't nearly enough to compensate for his fatal mistakes, but he would try everything to make up for them. He was already halfway on his knees when he was grabbed by the neck and pulled up again.

"What do you think you're doing?" Luhan was growling now, his hand still gripping Junmyeon's shirt.

"You didn't even want to go there," Junmyeon answered, his voice barely audible. "If I had just listened to you-"

Luhan's grip loosened when Junmyeon suddenly found himself in a tight hug.

"But that wasn't your fault," Chanyeol sobbed into his shoulder. "You didn't know it was that close to the City, and I just didn't want to believe that something happened to my parents. I did everything to convince you and you told me how dangerous it was. Nothing was your fault." Junmyeon didn't know how to react, so he just patted the giant's back in an awkward attempt to soothe him. Chanyeol took a step back after a while and wiped the tears from his face.

"That this happened to us and your idea to distract the Patrol on our escape saved my brother's life." This was the first time that Baekhyun had spoken. "I know what happened was terrible, but if I had to go through it again, on my own, to save my brother, I would do it."

"Do you think they have powers now, too?" Junmyeon knew Jongdae just wanted to change the topic, but he didn't object and answered nonetheless.

"Namjoon said it didn't work. If they managed to get away, they might at least be a lot safer than we are. It wouldn’t be worth it for the Red Force to try and track them down."

"The only thing standing between us and our return is for the others to join us." Yixing, who had been standing next to Junmyeon all the time now joined the others and looked at him. "Jongin is a bit insecure about his power since what happened, but he thinks it can work."

A wave of relief washed over Junmyeon. He stared at Jongin in disbelief. "Is that true?"

Jongin nodded. "I think I know why it went wrong last time. I usually have to concentrate and picture the place I want to teleport to... But at that moment, the only thing I thought about was how we could never be safe from the Red Force, they would just find us again. And when Chanyeol told me to get us out... I guess I teleported us farther away than intended. And then something went terribly wrong and we were separated." He let his head hang and bit his lip.

"Don't blame yourself for that, Jongin. You didn't know that was even possible, it wasn't you fault." Junmyeon realized what he had done as soon as Jongdae looked at him sharply.

"And why can’t he blame himself and you can?"

"I'm sorry," mumbled Junmyeon.

Luhan sighed in exasperation and went back to his place near the fire.

"Camping time!" Tao smiled widely and clapped his hands together. "Did you know that these people here actually sleep outside for fun?"

Kyungsoo frowned. "Why would you do that? Shouldn't they be happy to have a house they can sleep in?"

"I know, right?" Tao sat down and motioned the others to do so as well. "But the people where I landed..."

Everyone told a few stories of where they had landed and how they had managed to get here. It would be a lie to say that Junmyeon didn't enjoy being together with his friends again, but even though they had tried their best to cheer him up, there was still a lot of guilt left in his thoughts. And even though he was incredibly glad he had found them, he couldn't help worrying about Yifan, Minseok, his second leader, and Sehun, his best friend.

The craziness of this situation, as obvious as it was to everyone, wasn't mentioned once this evening. They had been leading a peaceful life during these past two months, without being chased and without being hurt. And yet, everyone had made the decision to come back. To go home.