27.

Area One

Junmyeon was vaguely aware of things happening around him, but he found himself unable to process them. He was still on his knees next to Luhan and Yixing, still holding Luhan’s hand. At some point, the helicopter must have landed, because there were strangers coming towards them now.

Junmyeon frowned. He didn’t like strangers. Luhan didn’t like them either.

He couldn’t trust his eyes because even though the helicopter must have landed, the noise had even become louder instead of quieting down.

Suddenly there were people around him, trying to pull him away, and his grip tightened. He wouldn’t let go. He wouldn’t leave Luhan.

The people were dressed in white and felt Luhan’s pulse, then pulled a few devices out of their pockets. A little spark of hope lit up his heart. Maybe…

One of the doctors turned towards him and spoke to him. Junmyeon saw his mouth moving, saw the device he was showing to him. He didn’t understand what the things on the display were showing, he just saw a straight line at the bottom becoming longer and longer.

When he was finally able to understand something the man said, the little spark exploded like the bombs had earlier, leaving nothing but emptiness. “I am sorry,” the man said, and “We will have to take the body back separately. You will be brought back with another helicopter.”

What? No. No, they couldn’t make him leave Luhan. He gripped his hand tighter in panic. He wouldn’t leave.

There was a hand on his shoulder and Junmyeon winced. There were tears on Chanyeol’s face, but he was probably trying to make him get up.

He turned back. He wouldn’t leave. Luhan was so strong, it was impossible for him to die like this. Junmyeon knew it. He wouldn’t die like this.

Someone’s arms were slung around his middle in a hug from behind and a chin was placed on his shoulder. “Let go, hyung.” That was Sehun. He was sobbing so hard that it was difficult to understand his words. “He’s already gone.”

Junmyeon wanted to snap something back at Sehun but found himself unable to form words. He closed his mouth again.

Yixing, who was now standing next to him, stretched out his hand, but then seemed to reconsider and retreated. “Hoseok,” he said.

He wouldn’t let Hoseok take control of his feelings. He wasn’t feeling anything at the moment, that was fine with him.

Another person crouched down next to him. Minseok gave him a sad smile. “We can’t leave Luhan here, can we? In the City?”

No, they couldn’t. He couldn’t stay here.

“They will bring him to a safe place, Junmyeon” Minseok continued. “We will leave soon, too.” He didn’t specify whether they would be brought to the same place.

But they were right. Luhan couldn’t stay. He forced himself to loosen his grip on Luhan’s hand.

As soon as he let go, the doctors lifted him and brought him to a helicopter. There were several of them now, in the parks or on the broad streets. Junmyeon turned to follow them, but Minseok and Sehun held onto him. He was too exhausted to fight.

A man was walking towards them. His suit and his generous smile were not at all fitting for the general situation, but the way the men around him bowed when they saw him, he had to be important.

“You must be the young men who did everything in their power to fight this terrible regime,” he said, turning serious. “Let me introduce myself, my name is Yoon Donghyun. I am the CEO of Chronos.”

Someone behind him chuckled dryly. “You know a lot about us for claiming you didn’t know what the Red Force was doing in here.” Baekhyun.

The man slightly bowed his head. “We were informed about anomalies in their computer systems. This is only one of many test areas all over the world and we thought we had selected the people in charge very carefully. Their reports were spotless and everyone regularly inspecting the area must have been bribed. My people tried to figure out as much as possible on our flight here, but we are still in the dark about most things that must have happened. I know it is a presumptuous request, but it would be of big help for us if you could answer some questions and tell us everything that happened.”

Baekhyun hacking into the Red Force’s computer systems had to have alerted them.

“For now, we have organized safe accommodations in a place near our company for you. It will take us a few days to organize ourselves here and you all need to rest for a while first. You also lost a friend today. I apologize for everything our ignorance has caused and I assure you that you will be taken to a safe place.” He bowed a little deeper this time.

A hand was holding onto his. Sehun. Junmyeon shook him off. This was the hand Luhan had held earlier.

The man was expecting them to answer. They stayed quiet. Not even Minseok said something.

“They hurt a lot more people than just us.” His voice was so low he didn’t know whether the other man even understood him. “Please take care of them first. The labs, the prisons, the villages.”

CEO Yoon nodded. “They will all be brought to safety. Please don’t worry.”

They were divided into groups and led to different helicopters that took off as soon as they had sat down. Junmyeon kept looking at the place where they had stood earlier until it was out of sight. He should have felt worried about flying, the height they were in, what would happen if they fell. Instead, he found himself looking out of the window next to him, wondering how strong the glass was. Luhan couldn’t be too far gone yet. Maybe he could still catch up to him.

“Don’t let him move!” That was Yixing again. Strong arms wrapped themselves around his body. The healer forced Junmyeon to look at him.

“Do you have any idea how much it would pain Luhan to know how much you’re hurting? Let me help you!”

But Luhan didn’t know. He was gone.

“Sehun is scared to death, Junmyeon.” Yixing was speaking quietly into his ear now, making sure no one else could hear him. “You’re the only family he has left. What do you think he would do if you died?”

No. Sehun couldn’t hurt himself. He had been through enough. He didn’t deserve this.

Junmyeon closed his eyes and gave up.

“Thank you.” Yixing took his right hand into his own and put the other one on Junmyeon’s chest, right over his heart.

The pain didn’t leave. It didn’t even become less. But the faint ringing in his ears faded and his breathing slowed down. When he opened his eyes, his surroundings were brighter and clearer.

He breathed out. “I’m tired.”

It wasn’t even a whisper, more like mouthing the words, but Yixing knew his heart.

“Rest,” he said.

Junmyeon obeyed.