Two

Dating Professor
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

One day after school, my father invited some professors to celebrate a welcome party for Professor Kwak. I don’t want to join but I can’t deny with my father. I went with them to a classic Korean restaurant.

My father and everyone keep admiring how talented Professor Kwak is. They also asked me to speak up about my studying experience with him. I just told them the truth because Professor Kwak is really doing so great lectures to us.


“Professor Kwak is so good. His English is like native and he always makes his lessons easy for us to understand. I feel so lucky to be able to wrap my last year with him. Even the way he arranges class is so good. I’m glad to have him as a homeroom teacher too.” I said while softly smiled to Professor Kwak.

“You all are praising me too much. There are still a lot to learn. Please guide me more.” Professor Kwak commented back on our compliment with a deep bow. He is so humble.


“Oh by the way, what is your family’s background?” My father changed to another topic.

“I came from countryside. My family is farmer. I saw your recruitment announcement and I thought it’s a good chance to move out. It’s my third time to come to Seoul. I’m still new to here.” Professor Kwak replied.

My father lost his friendly face after professor mentioned about his family as farmer. I sighed in stress. My father is too discriminated. I secretly looked at professor to scan his expression. He seems to be normal as he doesn’t realize my father is minding his low-class background.


We continued chit-chatting randomly. For me, I would only speak if somebody asks me something. The atmosphere is so tough for me as they are all professors and I’m just a student. The most hard-breathing moment is they have to show respect to me as a daughter of their employer. I feel so pressured. I wish I could live more normal life than this.


When it’s almost time to leave, my father asked Professor Kwak to give me more extra tutoring after class. But it’s not just that, my father revealed about that engagement in front of everyone too.

“Haeri has engaged to a son of a millionaire who runs a business in LA so I want her to learn more English and I want you to teach her after class. She will move to live in LA after get married so she should speak English well.”


I was speechless with how my father proudly exposed that crazy engagement in front of those professors. He must feel so proud but I feel very ashamed. This sounds like I’m trying to catch a rich man to be my husband whom I’ve never seen his face yet.

As always, I can do nothing besides remains silent and listen to his speech.

Professor Kwak accepted my father’s request to give me extra tutoring. So I’ll be started that extra class with professor from tomorrow.

-----///-----

Next day, after class I went to Professor Kwak’s personal office for extra English tutoring. I couldn’t light up my mood as my father is giving me this class in order to send me to live abroad.

Professor Kwak was giving me the best lesson as always until he decided to pause the lesson and asked if I have any problem.

“Do you have any problem?” he asked.

I sighed and turned to look at him. I bit my lips then turned away from him.

“You obviously have problem. If you don’t mind, you can share me. Maybe I can give you some ideas.” He insisted.

I turned to look at him again and waved my head hopelessly. “Noone can help me. I don’t own my own life.” I replied and my voice started to be shaking already. I feel like crying already.

 He went to get me a glass of cold water. “Drink this!” he handed me the water.

I received it and drank a little.

“I actually can see you’re having a lot of pressure. I can see you have no freedom either and I can guess you’re not liking the way your family exposed about your engagement in front of us yesterday.” He said.

I slowly nodded as what he said is all true.

“So you just don’t like that your father exposed it to us or you don’t want the engagement?” He hesitantly asked the question.

I bit my lips, having a little time to think of how I should reply to him. I finally decided to tell him my real heart.

“My life has been ruled by my parents. Since I was born, I have no freedom. I think everything is fine but not about my marriage

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter