The Gala I wished I never attended

That story when I ed up

So the weekend came. A lot of visitors from both of my parents' side attended the so called gala. I invited one friend of mine since it'll be too dull without knowing anyone. Oh, don't get me wrong there are a lot of relatives who came but I'm not particularly close to them. Well my cousin Suji is an exception since we go to the same school and both in the same level. 

Fancy suits and ball gowns. I'm not really good at describing things but you can imagine for yourself. People exchanging business cards here and there. Either boasting their children or just plainly boasting where they are now. 

My friend, Luna came. She wore a stunning gown that hugs her figure really well. She looks amazing, I mean way better than she normally looks when we're in school. I guess I was just really surprise knowing she's not fond of this kind of events too. 

"Hey there stranger. You already have a date tonight?" I said while I scanned her from head to toe.

"Krys!" She blushed.

"What? I mean damn Luna. I don't think you'll be looking like that. I mean damn."

"You don't expect me to wear shirt and jeans in a gala." She rolled her eyes at me.

"I mean damn. I just thought you're not used to events like this. Didn't know you have this side of you. Sooo you really looking for a date?"

"Girl I just went here because of you. If not I'll be at home watching some chick flick."

"Well that's way better than socializing with these people."

"Say let's just leave and watch some movies?" 

"I can't and you know that. My father wants me here and you know I can't say no to him." 

"Alrighhhhhht. then let's just enjoy the party while it lasts shall we?"

___________________________

The program started. I was left alone in the corner watching how all the things go. Well about Luna? Her parents called and told her they want to have a dinner tonight for what reason? I don't know. I just let her since she seems pretty excited and told me she'll tell everything tomorrow in school. 

My father announcement was the main event of the gala. He announced that starting Monday, he'll be a name partner in their law firm. I mean he deserves it. For all the hard work, he did as a lawyer. For once, I saw how it makes him happy. He truly deserves all things in life. The odd thing is I haven't seen my mom since the program started. Shouldn't be raising a toast for my dad? Well, mom doesn't really like parties like me but shouldn't be this an exception? Her husband just received something any lawyer would dream of? 

Instead of mom, My dad's boss raised a toast for him. My dad was applauded by the crowd. My grandparents looked so damn proud of him. Well they expected nothing less of my dad. They're not actually sweet grandparents anyone would want but they're decent enough to bring gifts and attend events for their son. 

I got bored of the event and decided to roam the venue. They have a massive garden and a big pool. It looks serene but something caught my attention. Two people were arguing. I would have ignored it but one of those people was my mom. I went closer. They didn't even noticed me since they were so immersed in their arguments that they don't care if anyone has already seen them two fight. 

"Are you saying you regret having your daughter?"

"Seul- you know that's not what I ing meant!" That was the first time I heard my mom curse. I mean my parents have their own arguments but they never cursed each other while they are it. 

"Then why? Is this because of Am-"

"Don't you dare say that name." My mom said with pain and anger. 

"Are you still not over that? I mean I already explained my part. It was a misunderstanding! A ing misunderstanding if you just let us explain what happened. Then you would've saved all of us pain."

"Can you blame me? If you were the one in my situation, what would you do?"

"First, I won't get drunk and get pregnant! I would let everyone explain and rethink my actions!" The other woman smirked and it looks like she hit a sore spot. Got pregnant? Is she talking about having me?

"I-" my mom seemed flabbergasted. Left with nothing to say. Does she really regret having me? I don't want to hear anything but curiosity got the best of me. Who is this person they are talking about?

 

"What? Cat caught your tongue Joohyun? I know what you did. Instead of fixing everything. You met with him. The very person, we all know is deeply in love with you. One thing led to another. Now you both are successful. You enjoying your dreams and tonight he even made name partner, right? You even have a daughter. What a perfect family you have."

 

"Enough! You know what I felt. You're my best friend but you still did that to me. You're enjoying your life with her now too." Her? Wait what? Is my mom bi or something?

"See that's where you were wrong. She ing left when she knew you were pregnant. When you and your husband got the news. She was on her way to you to ask for another chance but all she saw was you and him sharing the good news."

"S-she saw us?" 

"She did. She left me. She ing left me too. I was willing to give her everything but she left me too. I won't lie that I have feelings for her and that was just a moment of weakness but she loved you so much that she'd rather be in pain than pick someone over you."

"I loved her Seulgi, I still do-" and with that I fled the scene. I don't know what to feel. I- my chest hurts. I can't breathe. The only thing I want is to get away from my mom as soon as possible. She didn't love us. She was forced to be with us. She loves someone else other than my dad.

I got into my car. I don't know what to do. I just want to get away. My heart is aching, it's too much. I didn't even noticed my tears rolling down my face. She regrets having me. She regrets being with us. She still loves that person. Then why?! Why did she even continue with this family!? We're better off without her. 

I was so absorbed with the revelation that I didn't focus on the dark road where I lost control of my car and next thing I know, a truck is about to collide with me and it's too late to steer the wheel to safety. Blinding lights, honking truck. Am I facing death? Maybe. Maybe this is the end for me. I'm sorry Dad. You deserve better. I hope you'll be the happiest. I hope mom find her happiness too. I guess this is really the end for me.

This is me Jung Soojung, signing off.