Twisted

The Queen's contest
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

3. TWISTED

"With the presence of your majesty and your highness, let us discuss on our steps in post-war recovery." The chancellor, Lord Choi announced loudly, after nodding to the King, who sat at the center of the room, and a young man on his right.

A man with eagle eyes and obsidian orbs spoke first. "Your majesty, your highness, may I present a suggestion for the current difficulties."

The King nodded, gesturing him to speak.

The man, Count Yoo, cleared his throat. "Our citizens are exhausted and our treasury is not enough for compensations and reconstructions. Before the economy recovers, we need something that restores the public's hope." He paused. "It is great to have the Queen's contest start earlier than expected, but it would be better if the contest shortens, so we would have a future-queen ready, and alongside your highness - our Prince, they could act as young factors that represent hope and raise our morale.”

The King's expression remained neutral, but before he could respond, another man sitting opposite Count Yoo raised his hand.

"Your majesty, your highness, may I offer views regards to this." The man has crinkles around his almond-shaped eyes that resembled his daughter who suffers from nightmares. 

Count Son turned to the King and the Prince. "We must not simplify the contest. It has been a sacred tradition and the rounds are necessary to select the best Queen for our country's future."

Count Yoo's eyes pierced across the table as a flicker of detest zoomed past his gaze. "Then Count Son, what are your suggestions?"

"Your majesty, your highness, we have to deal with the economical hardships first. In particular, our food prices are skyrocketing. We should find new sources of food suppliers to lower the burden of civilians. This may take a while to implement, but dealing with the root problem is the most efficient way for recovery."

The King turned to his right. "Taemin, what are your opinions on this?"

Taemin turned to the council members, who were all his father's age. "Your majesty, Count Yoo's point is important, however, instead of shortening the contest, we could increase royal member visits, that way we could hear from the citizens directly of what their primary concerns are, and could raise our morale too. In the meantime, we could take account of Count Son's approach and find out new sources of food supplies."

The council members nodded their heads in acknowledgement, while count Son bowed his head to Taemin. "Thank you for the wise words, your highness."

Count Yoo hid the coldness within his eyes, then forced a smile and nodded respectfully to the prince.

The King curled his lips slightly. "Then we shall proceed as the Prince's decision."

The council meeting ended with members bowing to the King, as he strolled out of the room, with Taemin trailing behind him.

Servants and guards bowed their heads, as shoes clattered against the marble floor. 

The King asked his son with softened eyes. "How did you find the meeting today?"

"Your majesty, it's an honour to participate in the council meeting again. It's great to see counts and Lords all eager to rebuild our country quickly after 3 long war years."

The King nodded, then remained silent until they turned to a room filled with books and a large desk of marble and gold. 

The wooden door clicked shut as the King sat on his own velvet chair and continued his words. 

"The council members… they are all loyal to the country, of course, but they will have their personal concerns and inner turmoils. Within the court, there will be competition and schemes that we may not know of."

Taemin stood in front of his father, pondering with his brows lowered. He opened his mouth cautiously. "As in… rivalry between lords and counts in the court?"

The King smiled. "As King, you are not only the leader of the country, but also a balance. A balance of all forms of powers and the turmoils within this court. Make sure you remember that, Taemin-ah."

Taemin bowed his head. "Yes, your majesty."

The King leaned back and stared at his window. His voice as light as feather. "Don't make the same mistake as I did."

Taemin lifted up his head slowly, brows raising up, but glanced cautiously at his father. 

He waited patiently for a response, but his father remained silent before sending him out of the room.

Two floors and five rooms away, Taemin sat on his own desk, as a figure dressed in black knocked lightly. 

"Come in." He said.

"Your highness." The black figure knelt towards the man with sharp eyes, sitting behind a desk with golden twists on its legs. 

"These are the records of the Sons for the past 3 years during the war." Taeyong handed him a pile of papers, as Taemin nodded in gratitude. 

With silver glasses, he flipped through the papers, with eagle eyes and pursed lips. Soon, his pursued lips loosened into a soft curl. 

"Taeyong, what do you think?"

Taeyong lowered his head respectfully. "Your highness, the records look fine to me. I think… we don't have to worry as much." He said cautiously. 

Taemin nodded. "Good. I agree."

He placed the files aside, and turned to face his loyal soldier. 

"With the Sons cleared off, there are few suspects that I want you to focus on - bring me records of the Yoos and the Jungs."

Taeyong nodded and bowed respectfully. "Yes, your highness."

Taemin stretched his neck and rotated his shoulders. "Thanks Taeyong. You can leave now, if there's nothing else to add."

Taeyong lifted his head and darted his pupils, before opening his mouth slowly.

"Actually… I…do have something to add.

I found something that might be related to Lady Son, your highness."

"What is it?"

 

"7 years ago, the Sons were involved in an… accident."

 

Taemin raised his brows. 

…….

"Ladies, congratulations for your entry into the quarter-finals of the Queen's Contest. Within the 10 ladies who have entered, the top 5 of you will be given a special opportunity." The Chamberlain with tinted white hair, lifted up his glasses.

"The top 5 ladies will be given a chance to spend time with the crown Prince."

Naeun heard murmurs and saw widened eyes amongst the ladies. She kept her lips pursed and her eyes blank. 

"The top 5 ladies who will receive this opportunity ranks as followed. Lady Yoo Ah, Lady Jung Krystal, Lady Bae Suzy, Lady Son Naeun, Lady Kang Seulgi."

"3 days later, these ladies will be able to meet the Prince individually."

As the old man left the room with a bow, the ladies muttered towards each other. Yooa raised a confident smug, while Naeun sighed inwardly at the back of the room.

 

Days later, she found herself under the sun at the Southern gates of the palace. Hayoung stood by her side, raising an umbrella, sheltering her from the warm orange beam. 

"Apparently, the Prince is meeting you first, so we have to seize the opportunity and wear something nice as first impression!" Hayoung said excitedly last night while rummaging through her wardrobe. 

Naeun rolled her eyes and waved her hands. "No, I'll save those dresses when I leave and go home."

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter