Glimmer

The Queen's contest
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

2. GLIMMER

She snapped her eyes open again, just like almost every night for the past 7 years.

“Did I scream again?” Naeun asked worriedly. 

Hayoung glanced briefly at the door, then forced a smile. “Don’t worry my lady, no one else heard it. Everyone was sound asleep.” 

Naeun sighed in relief, but then pursed her lips tightly. As if reading her thoughts, Hayoung comforted her. “My lady, it’s only your first night. I’m sure your nightmares will be better later.” 

With powder covering the dark circles under her eyes, Naeun arrived at the centre room. She kept her head low and stood at the edge of the room, while ladies mumbled greetings to each other. All voices faded to a halt, when one lady, dressed in bright orange, entered with a devilish smirk on her face and heels clanging loudly on the marble floor. 

Lady Yoo. Yooa. The daughter of Count Yoo — rival of her father, Count Son in the council. She remembered the figure dressed in honey, who shot an enticing look at the Prince, then used the same eyes to shoot daggers at Lady Krystal Jung. 

Impulsively, Naeun found herself stepping back, hiding further into the corners. From Yooa’s malicious smile alone, Naeun already felt chills running down her back. 

Lady Yoo scanned her competitors with eagle eyes, then matched hers to Naeun’s blank ones. She scanned her from head to toe, then sent a mocking scoff, before turning to the front. 

Shortly after, the white haired chamberlain, with slight crinkles on the cease of his eyes, appeared in an black suit at the front of the stage. The ladies courtised. The Chamberlain returned a bow, then announced. 

“Ladies, behold the first orders from your Queen. Having exceptional etiquette is one of the most fundamental qualities of a queen. You must be able to set an example for lords and ladies in all circumstances.” 

He cleared his throat. “Tomorrow will be your first test. The highest scored individuals will advance to the next rounds. May honor fall upon you.” 

They all curtsied at the Chamberlain, then exited the hall as Naeun trailed behind. 

With Hayoung by her side, she heard a series of murmurs and gasps. 

“She is just a soldier’s daughter. What is she doing here?” Other ladies muttered as they glance at the newly titled lady, who lowered her head in a white dress.

“You really think you will be Queen?” Yooa scoffed. “Your father fought the war, but in here, you’re nothing.” She sneered and bumped Lady Kang Seulgi’s shoulder as she strutted away, with heels clattering on the marble floor. 

Seulgi bit her lip and dipped her head, as tears formed the rim of her eyes. Her lady-in-waiting, Joy, held onto Seulgi’s shoulder tightly. “M-My lady...” 

Naeun watched with Hayoung along her side. “Never knew the Yoos were this arrogant.” Hayoung muttered under her breath. Naeun shot her a glare, and Hayoung quickly kept shut. 

They are within the palace walls, and she must not talk behind other people’s backs.

She had the weight of her family’s honour. 

Despite this, she muttered to Hayoung. “I bought an extra handkerchief last time — is that still with you?” Hayoung frowned her eyebrows in wonder, but said honestly. “Yes, my lady.” 

Naeun nodded, then walked towards Seulgi, who stood helplessly alone with her maid. Hearing footsteps, Seulgi forced a smile at Joy, then lifted up her head. She met the eyes of Naeun. 

“Lady Son.” She dipped her head respectively. 

Without a word, Naeun took the handkerchief from Hayoung, then stretched out her hand to Seulgi. 

“Lady Kang. Use this if you please.” She said to her, with a caring smile. 

Seulgi’s eyes watered. She gulped, then bowed at Naeun. “Lady Son, thank you.” 

Naeun held Seulgi upright. “No, please, don’t bow to me. Thank yourself, for entering this round.” She smiled encouragingly. “I hope to see you later, too.” 

Seulgi beamed at her in gratitude, as Naeun walked past gracefully. Joy watched in amazement and said excitedly. “My lady, Lady Son is so kind... she’s the only one who reached out to us...” 

Seulgi wiped her tears without a word. Clenching the white handkerchief in her palms, she lowered her head and hid the enigmatic smile on her lips. 

…….

“My lady, should I ask for some lavendar extract? Maybe it’ll help your sleep tonight.” Hayoung muttered lowly, as they walked past the palatial walls. 

Naeun nodded with a smile. “Sure, thank you Hayoung.”

With Hayoung’s departure, she stepped on the marble stairs. Before she turned left, she heard voices. 

Krystal Jung and the crown Prince stood at the far end of the corridor. 

Naeun stood behind the pillar and waited silently. 

Krystal huffed a breath. “Stupid Queen’s contest… I’m a soldier, not a lady.” 

“I know. We’re trying to get you back in the military, but we need the council’s permission. ” 

“Ugh. Annoying council. Why aren’t female soldiers allowed? This is so unfair.” Krystal rolled her eyes. “Plus the Contest! I don’t want to join but my family wants the honour....” she paused, then said sternly. “Wait Oppa. You’re not gonna choose me right? The rumours about you and me — they are so annoying! If you choose me, I’ll kill you.” Krystal sent him a deathly glare. 

The Prince bursted out into a laugh, something that Naeun has never seen before. A laugh that signalled their close friendship. 

“Don’t worry, soojung. I’m not gonna choose you.” 

She heard Krystal release a huge sigh in relief. “Thank God. Promise me you won’t!” 

He told her with determination. “I won’t. I really won’t. I promise.” “Besides...” He dragged on. “I have someone in mind already.” 

Naeun perked up her ears and Krystal asked excitedly. “Who! Who! Who’s the unlucky girl!” 

Before Naeun could hear an answer, one of the Prince’s closest guards approach him with a salute, then muttered lowly against his ears. His expression turned sharply.

They parted ways after a brief nod. 

Unknowingly, she released a breath that she has been holding, then walked back to her room at the West Wing. She wondered who caught the Prince’s mind, but hopefully, it won’t be her. 

…….

After practising etiquette steps in her room, her mind floated back to Lady Yooa, who scanned her from head to toe. Feeling a sense of unease, she called Hayoung from her room. 

“Hayoung, where is my dress for tomorrow?”

“It’s downstairs, my lady. Why?”

“Can you bring it up, please? I want to keep it in my room.”

Though Hayoung raised her eyebrows, she brought the dress upstairs. Naeun scanned through the peach silk, then huffed a breath in relief. 

“Why do you want it upstairs, my lady?”

“Just… in case.” Naeun smiled. “I’ll keep it here until tomorrow.”

As darkness followed, Naeun found herself laying in bed again, with wide eyes staring at the ceiling. To her, etiquette is a piece of cake. She was trained from a young age, and plus, her mother wanted her to stay, so passing this test is necessary. But in here, she saw how Yooa paid some attention to her, clearly viewing her as a potential threat. She cannot take the spotlight, or else, Naeun will become Yooa's next target. As she calculated how to pass the test without gaining attention, she found her eyelids drooped heavier and sank int

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter