Remedy

The Queen's contest
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

19. REMEDY

It took a week of care before he could sit up and regain consciousness. As soon as the news came, advisors and cabinet members rushed to the infirmary, hoping to catch a glimpse of the King, but they were all stopped by the young King’s best man.

“Lords, his majesty requires full rest under tentative care. It would be greatly appreciated if your lordships would visit until his majesty is all and well.”

The nobles apologised and left the palace with forced smiles. They complained amongst themselves, thinking that their young King is far too reckless for running out of the room for his beloved lady. Some complained of the lady, wondering why she came back unscathed while the King took all the blows for her. Others complained of the Yoos, who caused such a ruckus in their country.

However, behind the gilded doors, it was another world.

He leaned against the velvet headboard with a curl on his lips. Warmth returned to his skin and dark circles no longer clouded his eyes. His gaze followed the lady, dressed in a plain day dress, who nodded her head towards the Doctor Yoon.

Funny enough, more than a month ago, he was the one talking to the doctor about her trauma after she fainted in the assassin attack. This time, it was her who addressed the doctor about him.

Doctor Yoon bid his farewell with her and sent a bow towards his way. Taemin nodded briefly before fixing his gaze back onto her.

She came back to him with a bowl of porridge in her hands. Ignoring the flinch of pain on his back, he raised his hand to take it, but she shook her head. Carefully, she took a small scoop, then sent the spoon towards his lips. His cheekbones rose to the skies as he opened his mouth for a bite.

“Oppa, do you have anything you want to eat?” She asked she fed him the last scoop. “Doctor Yoon said everything is fine aside from salt.”

His eyes twinkled. “Hm… maybe something sweet?”

“Sweet?” She raised her brows. “I guess I could ask the servants if they can find pudding or some sort—” She said as she placed down the bowl and rose up from her chair. With a tug and a pull, she twirled around, and then a warm sensation crashed against her lips.

 

He pressed onto her lips gently, with his hand raised to her cheek as their lips parted and moved against each other.

He pulled away with his forehead still against hers.

“This—” His breath fanned her lips.

 

“—is the sweet I’m looking for.” He let out a broad grin as she pulled away with a glare and blushed cheeks.

 

He chuckled, watching her busy herself around the room. Almost everyday, she would enter the palace and stay from day till night. He told her to rest at home instead, not wanting to tire her out, but she replied him with a shook of her head.

The stills of the shadows, looming canopies and his closed eyes still haunt her, and the only way she can get rid of the gruesome images, is to watch him get better everyday.

…….

“Your majesty, the Alzamian King has signed our treaty of peace.”

Taemin nodded. “Thank you, General.”

Jinki gave him a smile and they shared a few more words as cousins, until a knock sounded on the door. Jinki bowed and exited, sharing a nod with the figure at the door.

“Your majesty.” Kai bowed. After the doors shut close, he whined towards his best friend. “When is my King going to leave this room? I wish the council members would annoy you instead.”

Taemin chuckled. “I’m out tomorrow.”

Kai settled on the chair beside him and opened his mouth again, before a knock interrupts them.

An icy, thin voice echoes as the door swings open. “Your majesty—”

When the young Lieutenant lands her gaze on the young lord, she flinched for a split second, then bowed with a pretence of cool on her face.

“Apologies, your majesty.”

She turned without hesitation, as the lord flinched and raised an awkward curl on his lips.

“What’s going on with you two?” The King raised his brows.

Kai rubbed his face with a sigh. “She said she likes me.”

Taemin laughed. “Took her long enough. I’ll need Minho Hyung to pay me back.”

Kai was still in a daze before he turned sharply to his best friend. “What?”

He narrowed his eyes at the King’s twitching lips. “You guys placed a bet?”

Taemin faked a smile. “I thought Krystal would be the braver one. Turns out I’m right. You’ve always been a scaredy cat.”

Kai gritted his teeth, but soon his brows knotted as he heaved a sigh.

“And?” Taemin raised his brows. “What happened after?”

Kai stared at the ceiling. “Nothing.”

Taemin’s brows only raised further.

Kai sighed. “It’s complicated… I mean— for the whole time, I’ve— well, misunderstood— and after she told me everything… it felt like a dream come true.”

“And…?” Taemin tested.

“And… I don’t know what to do…” Kai trailed off, leaving Taemin bursting into laughter again, though it quickly turned into a wince as he felt his back twinged in movement.

Kai returned him a glare. “Serves you right.”

Taemin barely caught his breath as he leaned back. “Well, as a person who’s one step away from death’s door, I’d suggest you go for it, before it gets too late.”

Kai sighs, as a flicker of pain passes through Taemin’s eyes.

……

After Taemin left his sick bed, he went back to tidying the mess in his country right away. Without a patient in care, Naeun didn’t need to enter the palace anymore. For the first few days without seeing him, she didn’t feel anything - she did her usual walks around the capitol — which already resumed its bustling face, shopped with Seulgi and occasionally Krystal, curled her arms around her mother and father, exchanged a few letters with Taemin…

Until one week later, she woke up in all sweats and screams again.

Instead of her being captured, it was the image of him — him covered in blood and flesh, in a flood of scarlet, sinking in the holes of darkness.

Sometimes the images would linger to the daytimes even, when she sees trickles of blood from her finger from a paper cut, or when the breeze howls on a stormy day and the trees shivers around her mansion.

It wasn’t as bad when she took care of Taemin back then — maybe it was because his gleaming eyes everyday provided a comfort to her unconsciousness — but now, all she could do is endure the sickly images throughout the nights. For the upcoming weeks, she would scramble up with trembling fingers and shaking knees, read through his latest letters again, and search for his face on the daily newspapers to ensure that he was really alive.

The country is in mourning period, so she had no chance of seeing him face to face for now. He was overwhelmed with the country’s affairs, so he had no chance of sneaking out either.

All she could do, is to soothe her fingers over the papers, the portraits, and the images of him.

And tell herself that he is indeed alive.

…..

The King’s desk is stacked with paperwork. He raised his glasses and pursed his lips as he flipped through the documents. It reminded Taeyong of the days when the King was still a Prince, and when they were investigating about Lord Yoo, about Alzamia… and…

About the Queen-to-be’s nightmares.

In his military blazer, Taeyong lets out a smile. His Prince has now become the King, and soon, his majesty would have his partner by his side.

He was sure, his majesty will be a wise King.

The clock ticks into midnight, and his golden table glimmers under the silvery stars. Staring at the crescent moon, he wondered if his father spent all his nights like this — staring at reports under the eerie moonlight, sitting on this velvet chair until it turns warm, cracking his bones, stretching his stiff shoulders and stifling yawns.

This was the burden of a King.

This was his job, his responsibility, and his vow to the country.

If his father was still alive… would he be able to guide him through the lonely nights?

Only the ticking clock answered his question. 

He suppressed the burning pain in his heart and released an inaudible sigh.

Unlike work matters, his father was always in all smiles when seeing his wife, and that was the importance of the Queen. After all, his father was the one who told him to show his love for his own beloved woman.

His own Queen.

Somehow, Taemin understood why his father was always in all-smiles whenever his mother was in the room. A month ago, when Naeun was by his side for the whole two weeks, it was indeed one of Taemin’s best days in his life. Although he was bed-bound, seeing her alive and well by his side was the only thing he needed.

She was the only thing he needed.

And she was the only person he wanted to see right now.

Without a word, he grabbed a coat from the hanger and stepped through the large gilded doors. Standing on duty, Taeyong bowed deeply at the King, before catching a glimpse of coat swaying past the corner of his eyes.

“Y-Your majesty?” Taeyong wondered where his majesty would be going at such a late hour as he and a couple of soldiers followed closely behind the King, but Taemin held up a gesture.

“It’s fine, Taeyong. You don’t need to follow me.”

Taeyong was about to open his mouth, until he saw his majesty’s lips crack into a smile — a smile that was rarely found for the past month.

There was only one person that could make the King let out such a gentle smile.

“Your majesty… Lord Son might be asleep…” He trailed off hesitantly, while a glint of mischief zooms past the King’s dark orbs.

“Well, I can just sneak in without him knowing.”

Taeyong remained speechless as he watched the King disappear through the corridors. Would a wise King trespass into noble residences?

Maybe I should take that statement back… He thought.

…..

The glimmering moonlight sent dim beams into the candle-lit room. Naeun let out a sigh, then rose up from her dressing table to her bed, but before she reached the hems of her blanket, a knock sounded on her door. She opened the door without a thought, until she saw the man that she hadn’t seen for a month waiting at her door.

Her eyes widened into saucers as she opened agape and stood frozen on her spot, but he placed a finger on her lips.

“If your parents knew I sneaked in, I’m not sure if they’ll still let me marry you.” He whispered jokingly, earning a blush in her cheeks as he entered her room.

He can’t help but to look around the room she grew up in. It was a spacious chamber with Parquet hardwood floor. Wall panelling and silk hangings lined the room. A few paintings settle on her desk, including a recent portrait of him and her walking through the flowery courtyard. His eyes softened at the painting, before she tucked it under her desk quickly.

“It’s beautiful! Why are you putting it away?”

“N-No! It’s… It’s not done yet.” She managed.

He chuckled as she sat awkwardly on the edge of her bed. He eyed her carefully and followed suit.

“Did you… miss me?” He asked.

She stared into his gleaming pupils that reflected the silver glow. She took a deep breath, closed the distance between them and raised her arms to wrap around his torso. His beating heart was the only thing she could hear.

He chuckled and returned the embrace. “I’ll take that as a yes.”

She nodded silently. Throughout the period of separation, they shared frequent letters, sharing their daily thoughts, but it was far from seeing in person. She still had the gruesome images of him every night, and the after effects are still vicious. She remembered the time when he laid lifelessly in her arms, when his paled face blended with the white bedsheets, and when the cabinet members would walk past, they wouldn’t bother to hide their judging looks at her, wondering what she did to the new King that he was willing to sacrifice his own life for her. Now that his heart was beating against her ears, his warmth was wrapped around her, she could finally let out a sigh of relief.

Thank god he’s alive. She thought. Thank god he’s here, thank god he’s…

He placed a soft kiss on her head. “Naeun-ah.”

He muttered. “It’s not your fault.” Once again, he was the only one who saw through her thoughts. “The only wronged ones are the Yoos and Alzamia. The only thing that matters, is that you are safe.” He lowered his head to face her glowing pupils.

She nodded with a smile. She knows. But it takes time to heal, and she is trying.

Instead, she tightened her arms around his torso. “It’s not your fault either.” She muttered, as his muscles tensed under her embrace. Once again, she was the only one who saw through his guilt. His burden and

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter