Prologue

The Queen's contest
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

0. PROLOGUE

The oppressive darkness around her crept slowly and steadily drowned the cries of birds. The giant canopy looms above her as crows cawed loudly. Her thin legs sprinted across the forest floor, with the snap of a twig and the scuttle of an insect ringing through the air. When bushes nearby rustled, she pressed into the bark of a tree, while terror took the warmth out of her blood. Sharp pain sizzled through her small, young bare feet, with red blisters and wound cracks over the pure silky skin. A loud roar of thunder echoed. Her teeth chattered. Shouts rang out in the darkness, her eyes wild as she glanced around frantically. Her ankle catching on a scree of rocks, she slammed on the forest floor, but crawled back onto her feet quickly, dragging the injured ankle across the floor. Blood coursed through her body as her heart slammed against her chest. The shouts behind her reached louder, until loud footsteps shuffled near her. She spun around and met three black-coated, masked men, leering over her. Her young knees turned into water as she collapsed on the forest floor. Her lips trembled, with tears loaded in the rim of her eyes. In the midst of darkness, one of the men pulled out a short knife, with a glint that almost blinded her eyes. The man raised his knife as she closed her eyes and stifled a scream…

 

Until her eyes snapped open. 

Naeun woke to a smell of lavender and a dull roar in her ears.

“My lady…” Her lady-in-waiting Hayoung knelt worriedly beside her bed. 

Naeun panted with paled lips, then stared at the white embroidered ceiling. She felt the sweat clenching on her back and forehead. She closed her eyes briefly, as her heart slowed gradually, while Hayoung wiped her dripping forehead gently. 

“My lady.” Hayoung said quietly. “It’s okay. I’m here.”

After a moment of silence, Naeun puffed a breath in relief, then turned to Hayoung with a forced smile. “Thank you, Hayoung.” She hesitated, then said weakly. “Was I… screaming again?”

Hayoung nodded, but then added quickly. “I heard you when I walked past the second floor, so I rushed in. No worries my lady, Madame and My Lord weren’t disturbed.”

Naeun nodded, then sat up, with Hayoung placing support on her shoulder and back. “I’ll go prepare the shower for you, my lady.”

Naeun whispered a ‘thank you’ and stared blankly at her room. 

Hayoung sighed inwardly, as she escorted the pale-faced Naeun to the bathroom. After the door clicked, Hayoung scuttled down the stairs to the dining room. She stole glances at the middle-aged couple, who ate breakfast with etiquette, then bowed. Count Son raised his brows while Countess Son turned to her with a kind smile,. “Hayoung? What’s wrong?” She said.

“My Lord, Madame…” Hayoung stole another glance at the couple, then dipped her head. “My lady… she’s having the nightmares again.”

Count and Countess Son shared a worried glance. In a split second, Countess Son forced a smile and turned back to Hayoung. “Ask if she wants to go out. Maybe to the town centre or borders… she’ll feel better with the fresh air and some distractions.” 

“Yes, madame.” Hayoung nodded then bowed and left the dining room. 

“Honey… the nightmares… they are still tormenting her…” Countess Son bit her lip and sighed with eyes tinted with guilt. 

Count Son shook his head. “It’s not your fault, honey. She’s safe now, and that’s what matters.”

“Do we need the doctor to check on her again?” She said worriedly.

“The doctor said already… it’s part of her memory… we can’t do anything about it.” He shook his head again, then glanced at the calendar hung on the wall. “Hopefully… she’ll get distracted soon.”

……….

Sunlight poured through the road, casting a rosy hue across the morning sky. Birds and crickets chirped as people shuffled through the bustling streets. Naeun changed into a plainer, drabber coloured dress that resembled the commoners and arrived the borders of the capitol. She saw a huge crowd, with banquets in their hands, garlands on their necks, excited curls and shimmering eyes on their faces. She glanced around and saw a old woman walking past, with a smile on her face. She asked politely. “Excuse me, do you know why there’s a crowd today?” 

The old woman glanced at her and her outfit, then said slowly. “Miss, the crown prince is coming back today, after the war with Alzamia.” 

The crown Prince? 

She glanced at the cheering crowd. 

The Prince — the youngest member of South Korea’s ruling family. At a young age, he was already a child prodigy in the military. Rumours said that he had a perfect shot at the age of 5, excelled

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter