Choice

The Queen's contest
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

12. CHOICE

“Come in.”

“Your majesty.” Taemin bowed to his father.

The King’s icy eyes remain detached, as his gruff voice echoed across the marble floors. “What is it?”

“Your majesty, please allow me to report to you my latest findings.”

The King raised his brows. He watched Taemin took a deep breath, closed his eyes, then flutter them open again.

“Father, our war with Alzamia has not ended.”

The King narrowed his eyes.

“It was… never finished.” Taemin bit his lip.

“During the last battle of Galactian war…” He took a deep breath. It is time to let his father know the truths of the last battle.

“I didn’t fight off General Danny Ahn.”

His father kept his gaze on him.

“He… well, they surrendered, but I was suspicious and made my own investigations.”

“I found that one of our council members have suspicious connections with Alzamia. Coincidentally, we also found Alzamian assassins entering from both our Western ports and Northern borders.”

The King’s expression turned into ice.

“What else have you found?”

“Nothing more, father. But with these evidences alone, it is highly possible that Alzamia will plan another attack soon.”

The King curled his sweaty palms into a fist.

“Father, Alzamia is starting a new war - a war in the shadows. They have been planning this for decades, as a backup plan for their defeat in the Galactian war.”

“They are here to attack us from within.”

 

A deafening silence followed. Taemin expected fury in his father’s eyes, but instead he met an impenetrable expression. The silence grew heavier, and Taemin felt the weight of it pressing on his shoulders.

 

The King opened his mouth after a flash of anger.

“Who is it?”

Taemin lowered his head. “Count Yoo.”

The King clenched his jaw. “Continue with your investigation. Notify the General and order him to recruit troops.”

“What about the supplies —”

“I will handle that.”

Taemin pursed his lips and nodded solemnly.

“Report to me right away when there are new developments.” The King commanded. 

"Yes, your majesty." Taemin bowed and turned without a word.

 

“Taemin.” His father’s voice rang his ears.

He twirled back and saw his father’s stoned gaze soften ever so slightly.

“You’ve worked hard.”

Taemin forced down the gulp in his throat. He always imagined if he had fight off the Alzamian general, maybe they wouldn’t have ended up like this now. But hearing his father’s words, he felt a part of the weight in his chest being lifted.

“Have faith in our country. No matter if it’s a war in the shadows or not, we will end in victory.”

The words ignited a blast of flames in Taemin’s eyes. “Yes, father.” His father reminded him that this was no time to be sunk in guilt. Alzamia has no idea that they have discover their attack in advance. All South Korea has to do, is to take advantage of Alzamia’s cluelessness and prepare their defence as secretive and quick as possible. Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.

His father’s eyes lingered on his son for a long moment.

“Have faith in yourself. If your beloved woman is reluctant to bear the weight of a crown, show her your love. Show her your freedom.”

Taemin froze.

The King surveyed him from head to toe, as he took account of how his beloved son grow into a hard-willed and loving man beneath his eyes. His lips curved into a smile.

“You will be a great King.”

“I’m sure you will.”

……

Under the pure moonlight, Taemin twisted his neck and straightened his back. The Alzamia threat is growing larger, and he doesn’t have enough sleep lately. Besides, thinking about a certain lady doesn’t help. He stretched out of his velvet chair under the dim candle light and stifled a yawn.

Before he travelled to the silky sheets, he heard a light knock on the door.

He wondered who came this late. Would it be Taeyong? Does he have more updates? Instead of telling the figure to come in, his eyes flashed as he rushed to the door.

When the door swung open, Taemin blinked.

“Mother.” He muttered.

“Has it been hard for you these days?” His mother walked into his chambers, glancing at the messy pile of paperwork and the untouched bed.

Taemin shook his head. “I’m fine, mother.”

His mother placed an arm on his shoulders. “You deserve a small break.”

Taemin held his mother’s hand. “It’s fine, mother, I don’t need it.”

His mother sent him a pointed look. “Look at yourself in the mirror. I have to stop you before you turn into a mess.”

Taemin opened his mouth, but shut it reflexively, after stealing a glance of himself through the reflective glass.

His mother suppressed a willing smile, as she patted his back. “You’re welcomed to visit the royal gallery. It gives you a nice break.” She sent him a look, withdrew her hands and travelled back to the door.

“It’s even better if someone could come with you.”

He froze.

“After all, it’s no fun visiting the gallery alone, right?” She winked, before closing the door with a click.

……

“I’m only telling you my experience, Naeun.”

“I’m giving you a chance to choose if you accept the crown or not.”

“Just re-consider your choice, my dear.”

“The crown is way more than you think.” The Queen winked.

 

Naeun pursed her lips tight as she wandered through the pastels of petals. The Queen’s words repeat over and over again in the back of her skull, even disturbing the pattern of good sleep that she had for a short while.

There was no doubt that the Queen wanted to choose her.

In a way, Naeun was thankful that the Queen allowed her a choice, since the Queen made it clear that she wouldn’t blame her even if Naeun refused the crown.

But there was a certain part of her that questioned if she was really suitable for Queen.

Sure, the Queen did offer some insights about the crown, but… was she really ready to bear the weight of the country on her shoulders?

Would she be happy in the palace?

She would hold repetitive tea parties and force her smiles for the lords and ladies to strengthen relations. She would attend council meetings and raise policies that might be unheard. She would wander within the walls of the palace everyday and watch the moon from the same angle of her bedroom window.

Yet…

“My lady.” Hayoung broke her trail of thoughts.

“Are you still troubled from the Queen’s words yesterday?”

Naeun heaved a sigh. She stared at the fluttering petals that sent a swish of perfume into her nostrils.

“My lady… If you allow me to offer my honest opinions… I agree with the Queen.”

Naeun kept her stare on a butterfly that flapped its wings and landed inches away from her.

“It is written on your face, my lady, that your heart has lost its purpose.”

It was true. After the nightmares, Naeun indeed felt like she was wandering through the wilderness with no purpose and no aim.

“Her royal highness has given you a compass, wouldn’t that lead your heart out of wilderness and into paradise?”

Naeun watched the butterfly linger its legs on the petals. “Hayoung. How do you know I’m walking into paradise, not a cage?”

Hayoung chuckled. “My lady, if you were locked in a cage, you wouldn’t be able to see your surroundings clearly. But the Queen said her visions were broadened.”

Naeun opened , but no words flowed out.

“And, my lady,” Hayoung paused.

“If you were locked in a cage, you would be alone.”

“But the Queen has his majesty.”

“Her King.”

 

A gentle breeze stirred the air, as Naeun halted her tracks.

If Naeun became Queen, she would have Taemin.

She would have Taemin to share the weight of the country with her.

 

He said he liked her.

He said he will protect her.

He said he will be here for her.

Then… what about her? Does she… want to stay by his side?

 

“Naeun.” His voice sent a familiar flutter in her chest.

There was a moment where she thought its a voice that rang in her head, but a gasp and a curtsy from Hayoung shook her back to reality.

Naeun twirled.

He was standing right there, with a gently rippling shore of the pond to his left, and a field of dancing rainbow bloom to his right. His gaze was as warm as the sun’s rays, but there were flickers of hesitation and melancholy in his dark orbs.

She widened her eyes and lowered to a curtsy, but they were past the stage of calling each other in titles now. “Oppa.”

It’s been a week since she last saw him in his chambers with her memories intact, yet somehow, he was worst than her in maintaining eye contact. His eyes met hers for a second before darting elsewhere.

He forced a smile. “A-Are you… free today?”

Well, her mind has been struggling with thoughts of being Queen, but she guessed her body was.

Naeun nodded.

“Do you want to take a look at the royal gallery? The Queen granted full access.” He watched a spark lit up in her eyes as his gaze softened immediately.

“Of course.” She said with a glint in her eyes.

……

She might be over-thinking, but he doesn’t seem like his usual self today.

He would remain silent for periods that were way too long, and when he opened his mouth, it wouldn’t be the usual quirky jokes or caring words.

She wondered what caused him to be under distress, since she hasn’t heard anything major happening to the country.

Suddenly, a blink of thought passed through her mind. She had been too preoccupied with the Queen’s words that she almost forgot someone tried to kill her last week.

“Oppa.”

“Hm?”

“Did you figure anything out about last week?”

He darted his eyes and nodded. He bit his lip, wondering if he should add this to her worries, but she deserved to know.

He stole another glance at her, who kept her eyes focused on him. “It’s… Lady Yoo.”

Naeun halted her tracks as fear coiled her stomach. She knew Yooa hated her because she was a strong contestant, but…to the point where she wanted to take her life?

“Why?” She forced down the sand in .

“Lady Yoo is desperate to be Queen. She wants to erase everyone in her way, not necessarily you.”

She remained stoned. She doesn’t understand why Yooa would do such thing…

He turned quickly, stopping his tracks to meet her eyes. “It’s…” his gaze flickered. “It’s related to her f

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter